Quantcast

Argue with me.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
first... snap was the best bmx mag of all time.

second...
fuzzy
brian foster
mike aitken

Don't get me wrong, tj lavin and ryan nyquist throw down some insane tricks/combo's. In contest history they've been at the top for years. Watching BF and mike aitken gives me goosebumps though. They ooze style

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
first... snap was the best bmx mag of all time.

second...
fuzzy
brian foster
mike aitken

Don't get me wrong, tj lavin and ryan nyquist throw down some insane tricks/combo's. In contest history they've been at the top for years. Watching BF and mike aitken gives me goosebumps though. They ooze style
The Blue Falcon. . .good call. How did I forget him. His seggy in Fit Life left me with my jaw on the floor.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I'd have to throw in aitken, too....

I was at the last X-Games where fool did a GIANT lookback 180 (over a 30 foot dirt jump), landed fakie, and back pedaled out of that sh!t. Stupid judges gave him like an 80.

And Doyle is a smoooooth azz cat, too... at least in the top 5.

But, I still think lavin and nyquist get a bad rap.... they were the best in their time.

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Too hard to pick three. Chris Doyle is my favorite for sure, but after him I am not sure. It would probably be a battle between: Joey Garcia, Shaun Butler, Fuzzy Hall, Brian Foster.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
doyle is the shiz, plus my local trails (401) he used to and i gueszs still does shred those. that guys bleeds style. brian foster is ridicoulous too, 90º seatgrab whips, nyquist is fun to watch and bohan and aitken and nasty and fuzz, beringer, stricker all those guys. DAMN!

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
There were alot of amazing riders who would hit up the KOD series, and nowadays you don't think of them as "DJers" or they dropped off the scene.

Ruben Alcantara was waaay ahead of his time back in the day when he rode for Huffy. I remember seeing a spread of him in BMX Plus almost sticking a triple whip in a KOD comp when Mike Spinner was probably still middle school. That guy can do anything. But Chad Kagy used to hit up DJ comps (and attempt barspin super seaters) and I even remember Mirra doing one or two.
Others:
Joey Garcia
Todd Walkowiak
Scott Wirch
Chris Duncan
Steve McCann
Adam Strieby
Mike Parenti
Jerry Bagley
Stephen Murray

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Man, I was straight up wasted when I posted this last night....

But, I still stand by my statement. In terms of progression, style, variety and size of tricks, those guys were the best in their time.

If we listed my favorite or the smoothest dirt jumpers, then I'd change it up... Foster, Butler for sure.

Mmmm, I love dirt. We just got some rain... I'm off to build.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I didn't start riding bmx until 96'-97' I remember when it was bmx plus and snap were the only mags I could find to read. But not this bmx action you speak of... you must be ancient dude!

btw cru... hows your bike riding?

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Foster and Butler for sure! Did you see that part in Fit Life (I think) where his invert gets so ckicked that he ended up with a tire mark on his shoulder? Damn!
Oh, let's not forget Taj!
As far as mags go, what was that one that John Paul Rogers did back in around 2001? Didn't last too long though. I remember Chris Moeller did a column called "Right Now Racing Sucks" and showed a picture of a rack of AA Pro's charging the same straight away as the 5 Novices.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Foster and Butler for sure! Did you see that part in Fit Life (I think) where his invert gets so ckicked that he ended up with a tire mark on his shoulder? Damn!
Oh, let's not forget Taj!
As far as mags go, what was that one that John Paul Rogers did back in around 2001? Didn't last too long though. I remember Chris Moeller did a column called "Right Now Racing Sucks" and showed a picture of a rack of AA Pro's charging the same straight away as the 5 Novices.
Foster and Butler are def 2 of the most stylish ever. Yeah, Foster's part in Fitlife is INSANE. Speaking of tire marks... got one on my shirt from that shot above.

WCH... I think by "wackest" you mean "the greatest super-pimpalicious movie ever made and Cru Jones is my hero."

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
dang, i must be getting old. by the time '96 came around, i had already done my 13 years of BMX and had already made the switch to MTB's 4 years prior....

oh yeah, RAD was the wackest movie EVER!!!! argue with that...
yea I was 13 in '97. started riding mtb's when I was 17. you got a few years on me.

sick pic btw cru. peace

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
When I first started riding mtb a few years back I bought "Nasty's World," some bio of Cory and thought it was teh most ballin **** ever. I still love watching that...

Other then that Im pretty low on my bmx knowllege.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dang, i must be getting old. by the time '96 came around, i had already done my 13 years of BMX and had already made the switch to MTB's 4 years prior....

oh yeah, RAD was the wackest movie EVER!!!! argue with that...
Dude you are not alone! Old school represent!

In that vein my votes go to:

Harry Leary (1979 bitches!):

and Hollywood Mike Miranda:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
kinda sorta on topic, I've been watching the odyssey video over and over the last few days. aitken's downside 3's and one-footed hip tables at berringer's bleed mad style...there's so much talent out there, that's fo' sho'...

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
TJ deserves mad props for going big, while racing!
I'll never forget watching Jon Jupin in '83 at a race in Pittsburgh
launchin off into the treetops, with no shirt on: over and over again.
Or Bob Haro, Dave Mirra, even Hans Rey....they all get the "cornered animal" look in their eyes. That focus got them there. I'm gonna say Nyquist though, in his prime.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The scary part about that 10th Anniversary Cover is that I have very vivid memories of pouring over many of those issues, tacking them to the wall, etc. That shizz is embedded in my brain.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
For DJ contest/trick stuff I agree with the Nyquist, TJ, Nasty combo. They have incredible talent.

My favs for all around are Doyle and Foster. And of course Fuzzy for being in it for so long.

Now if you are talking trails...
Punjab
Groundchuck
Stauffer
Garret Byrnes
Chase Hawk
Aitken
Brian Yeagle
There are a bunch more but these stand out of the top of my head.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I don't think anybody has mention Ryan Guettler... he's one of the best new school cats out there. Those Aussie's got some STEEZ...

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
For DJ contest/trick stuff I agree with the Nyquist, TJ, Nasty combo. They have incredible talent.

My favs for all around are Doyle and Foster. And of course Fuzzy for being in it for so long.

Now if you are talking trails...
Punjab
Groundchuck
Stauffer
Garret Byrnes
Chase Hawk
Aitken
Brian Yeagle
There are a bunch more but these stand out of the top of my head.
Well, you covered many of the ones I would have named. For the record, to this day NO ONE has ever done better 1-handed tables than Groundchuck. NO ONE. PUSH and POSH spawned so many great riders its hard to believe: originators of the 'trails style'. "ECD will never die, you hear me Big Bird..."

No one's mentioned Kris Bennett yet... one of the first guys doing regular three's to opposite three's thru rythm section. Hmm, turndown three one way, to lookback three the other... ok.