Quantcast

Argue with me.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Well, you covered many of the ones I would have named. For the record, to this day NO ONE has ever done better 1-handed tables than Groundchuck. NO ONE. PUSH and POSH spawned so many great riders its hard to believe: originators of the 'trails style'. "ECD will never die, you hear me Big Bird..."

No one's mentioned Kris Bennett yet... one of the first guys doing regular three's to opposite three's thru rythm section. Hmm, turndown three one way, to lookback three the other... ok.
Groundchuck's 1-handed tables were/are the best. AND he has that seat grab whip thing he does that I like even better.

Kris Bennett...true trail ruler and I should have had him on the list. My first Props vid had an interview with him and he was doing turndown to x combos and that was forever ago.

I never got a chance to ride PUSH or POSH but a couple of my friends have. They said it was like no other.

BTW, I can't believe I forgot Justin Inman. Anyone who wants to see good trail style should check out his parts in Fit and Building the Underground.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Groundchuck's 1-handed tables were/are the best. AND he has that seat grab whip thing he does that I like even better.

Kris Bennett...true trail ruler and I should have had him on the list. My first Props vid had an interview with him and he was doing turndown to x combos and that was forever ago.

I never got a chance to ride PUSH or POSH but a couple of my friends have. They said it was like no other.

BTW, I can't believe I forgot Justin Inman. Anyone who wants to see good trail style should check out his parts in Fit and Building the Underground.
Inman blows my mind. Period.

I've ridden PUSH and POSH (both the old school and new POSH's). Quick little story: Growing up, i lived about an hour from POSH, actually about 15 miles from Minersville trails which most people have heard of (which didn't exist until 1995/96). I first went to POSH around 1990 or 1991. It was so intense. I can remember the first time I hit the "big" (aka an honest 6' tall and over 30' long) at old POSH. I pedaled at that thing as fast as I could (I raced super class at the time, and had a little bit of speed). Hit it, knew I was going to over shoot, and threw the bike. I landed ok, wasn't hurt, but my bike bounced UP INTO A TREE! I had to reach up into the damn thing to get my trusty S&M Dirtbike. Hilarious.

First time I went to PUSH was for a Kill Yourself contest in 1995. I walk up and see Colin Winkleman killing the 8: 3's followed by backflips, etc, all thru some big rythm. Riding thru the Million Pack, I get messed up, hit a tree in mid air, which blew my shoes right of my feet. They were tied on, too. To this day I think the 8 pack at PUSH was my favorite line ever. Hell, I liked it so much that I moved to Pittsburgh in 1998, right after PUSH was plowed the first time and there was a rebuilding effort going on. Such a strange turn of events in my life: I was riding better than I had in my life, and wanted to take it to the next level. I move away from Minersville trails so that I can ride more, bigger trails. Turns out I rode less than ever and Shawn blows up Minersville... Go figure. Moved back here (around Minersville) in 2004. Bulldozers show up at the trails in 2006. Just kill me now.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Great stories Trust! My buddies talked of the 8 pack and the Millon Pack. Early 90's were my absence from jumping - I was way into XC (go figure). A 6' tall 30' set is real big even by today's standards. Back in the 90's that must have been un-earthly. Damn!

Trails... between finding a place to dig, having a good scene, finding time to dig, finding more time to fix stuff, having too many people, having no one to ride with, stolen shovel and wheelbarrows, plows and bulldozers, and being in the woods in perfect temps w/ good people, and that's not bringing up even the riding part...I don't know of anything that can be more fustrating yet bring more satisfaction and happyness at the same time.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru, WCH, OGRipper... I can't not respond when BMX Action stuff comes up. BMXA was and will always be the Most Factory Magazine - one of my most prized posessions is my BMXA collection. Anyone who doesn't know should just watch Joe Kid a couple times especially Oz's parts.

Mike Miranda was a rad dude. I remember he was jumping this crappy pit jump behind the track at a Westfield, MA during an NBL National. Just of bunch of regular racers and Miranda trying to air this thing with a landing that was all roots. I ended up putting a solid dent in my cruiser's rim - good ol' single wall Araya 7x.

As far as the best dirt jumpers from BITD. Definitely Chris Moeller. He and Fuzzy were the originals of the DJ contest set. As rad as Fuzzy was, Mad Dog was just plain nuts. Believe it or not Brian Lopes and Cullinan were great DJ's back then too. BMXA had them in one issue for some how-to's - candy bar airs, can-cans and stuff like that. Also Chase Digit (something about that first name 'cause he was a lot like Chase Hawk especially with the no-handers), Todd Lyons, and Dave Clymer.

Before those guys - Trash Can Morgan, Bob Medrano, Darrel Young off the top of my head. Toby Henderson had some good pics in BMXA.

Trash Can Morgan:

Notice the workboots and no brakes.

BTW, Cru - nice Grizz Air! Damn.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm too young to remember a lot of those guys. And, honestly, I love BMX Action... but for some reason I was always into BMX Plus more as a kid (I think it was the Radical Rick cartoon). Joe Kid on a Stingray is awesome. It taught me so much about the roots of the sport that I didn't know.

I credit Fuzzy for getting me hooked on dirt jumping. When I was 13 I went to a BMX camp and got to ride with him for a couple of weeks. His personality is just as memorable as his dj style.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i had the first 2 you posted .. brings back memories of my tangent number plate, sinisalo gloves,,, and wtf were those neoprene frame padsets ... they were reversible..

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Yeah Gary Ellis! I had the same home track as him (River Valley BMX). There is still a huge sign that says something like "Home of four time World Champion Gary Ellis" with a sihloette picture of him sitting on his bike with a flag over his shoulder. I remember one time at an ABA Nat in LA, CA my brother crashed in practice and Ellis came over a jump, landed on my brother and taco'ed his wheel.
I think Ellis is a UPS guy now. Weird.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
i had the first 2 you posted .. brings back memories of my tangent number plate, sinisalo gloves,,, and wtf were those neoprene frame padsets ... they were reversible..
Haha. You mean like the Body Glove pads? Or, Lizard Skins? I remember we raced with our stem pad like this. Cuz we were cool....

I used to race on one of these, too. Except mine was blue...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Haha. Some of you cats are REAL old school. Me and Fiddy are more like middle school. Go was a rad mag. Billy Griggs was my fav racer BITD. He was always stylin over the big dubs. Wonder what he's up to now-a-days?

Infantry

Chimp
Jan 18, 2005
I agree with many of you....However......How come nobody has even metioned these guys.....These guys are true legends.....

1.Richard "the Butcher" Bartlett
2.Todd Lyons
3. Dave Clymer

All three of these guys paved the way for the DJ scene.....I'm sure Richard might even cruise this sight...Butcher I got your back....

Also, for those of you that mentioned Joey Garcia....I watched Joey last year at the ft. ord trails.....HE still rules.....here's MR Garcia's site...

http://www.unevenground.org/

Hunter@infantry5.com
www.infantry5.com

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I agree with many of you....However......How come nobody has even metioned these guys.....These guys are true legends.....

2.Todd Lyons
3. Dave Clymer

All three of these guys paved the way for the DJ scene.....I'm sure Richard might even cruise this sight...Butcher I got your back....

Also, for those of you that mentioned Joey Garcia....I watched Joey last year at the ft. ord trails.....HE still rules.....here's MR Garcia's site...

http://www.unevenground.org/

Hunter@infantry5.com
www.infantry5.com
Werd. You gotta respect Lyons for flipping during BMX races. :thumb:

Ha, just noticed nobody has mentioned Corey Bohan. He's won the last three X-Games Dirt gold medals. I know, I know, it's not all about contests.... but, still, it takes some crazy skill to do that. Plus he's got mad style....

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ

2.Todd Lyons
3. Dave Clymer

Infantry - I post a pic of Trashcan Morgan and you didn't even read my post?!

As far as the best dirt jumpers from BITD. Definitely Chris Moeller. He and Fuzzy were the originals of the DJ contest set. As rad as Fuzzy was, Mad Dog was just plain nuts. Believe it or not Brian Lopes and Cullinan were great DJ's back then too. BMXA had them in one issue for some how-to's - candy bar airs, can-cans and stuff like that. Also Chase Digit (something about that first name 'cause he was a lot like Chase Hawk especially with the no-handers), Todd Lyons, and Dave Clymer.
I agree about listing Richard Barlett but I think he was in BMX Plus a lot more BITD. Not a bad thing but I didn't read that mag all that much. What I remember of him, he had some great pics.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Add to the list of old school DJ rippers. This batch from the New England area:
Mike Savage (used to do turndowns on a 24" cruiser BITD, still races)
Cory Unger (I'm pretty sure he invented the nac-nac)
Mark Lincoln
Jody Stoddard

Savage:

And how could I not post this of Capt Kirk Crisco?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru - I was thinking of adding Cory Bohen. Sick jumper for sure. There was a good segment of him on Fuel a couple weeks ago. Seems like a cool guy.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yo Don,

Sorry for overlooking your post.....Glad to see we are on the same page....Mad Dog also rules...I saw MAd Dog spank some people at an national DS race a few years back......what about these guys

Keith Trainor
Jimmy Le Van
Jimmy Garcia

Hunter@infantry5.com
www.infantry5.com
haha, no problem - I was just busting ya :)

Those names remind me a lot of the movies SOIL and S&M's BMX Inferno. 2 of my prized pocessions.