Quantcast

Armstrong Drama

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
sigh
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr09news3

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong could soon face disciplinary proceedings from the French anti-doping agency AFLD, following what it says was improper behaviour during an anti-doping test carried out on 17 March 2009.

In a statement issued today, the AFLD said that Armstrong did not obey the rules of the World Anti-doping Agency's International Standard of Testing, specifically Article 5.4.1, which states that the person being subjected to an anti-doping control must remain within the sight of the doping control officer from the time of notification until the sample is collected.

The AFLD release stated that the UCI has already confirmed its right to open disciplinary proceedings against the American. "Via a letter dated April 8 sent to the Agency, President Pat McQuaid has, in his response, stated that the combined interpretation of the world [WADA] code and UCI anti-doping regulation conferred upon the AFLD the jurisdiction to open possible disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Lance Armstrong."

The WADA code article in question states, "when initial contact is made, the ADO [anti-doping official], DCO [doping control organisation] or Chaperone, as applicable, shall ensure that the Athlete and/or a third party (if required in accordance with Clause 5.3.8) is informed.... of the Athlete's responsibilities, including the requirement to... remain within direct observation of the DCO/Chaperone at all times from the point of notification by the DCO/Chaperone until the completion of the Sample collection procedure."

Earlier this week, Armstrong responded to news that the AFLD had raised objections to the incident. He issued a statement saying that he and team manager Johan Bruyneel were attempting to verify the validity of the person requesting the samples and Armstrong was permitted to leave.

"We told the tester we wanted to check with the UCI to confirm who he was and to make sure he wasn't just some French guy with a backpack and some equipment to take my blood and urine.

"Johan stayed with him and in his presence called the UCI to find out what was going on. We asked if it was OK for me to run inside and shower while they made their calls and the tester said that was fine."

The AFLD statement directly contradicts this, saying that, "Mr Armstrong, despite being repeatedly warned by the examiner, did not meet the obligation to remain under direct and permanent observation."

As the national anti-doping agency, the AFLD has the authority to test all athletes on French soil, regardless of where their licence is registered. This is the same international rule that permitted CONI to carry out anti-doping tests during last year's Tour de France when the race visited Italy, and also enables USADA to carry out tests on riders at races such as the Tour of California.

Today's news is significant as the AFLD could potentially ban Armstrong from competing on French soil. If this is upheld against all appeals, this would rule out his bid for an eighth Tour de France crown this summer.

Armstrong would however be able to ride the Giro d'Italia. The race organisers yesterday announced a modification to the route of stage 16, which now no longer crosses the border to France.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You'd think that with all the drama surrounding him he would do everything COMPLETELY BY THE BOOK.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
He took a shower! After 20+ tests since returning from retirement, you got to be kidding.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
He took a shower!
That's what he said. There are reasons you aren't supposed to be out of sight of the tester. I'm not saying he did anything suspicious, but it certainly leaves the door open for finger pointing.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There are reasons you aren't supposed to be out of sight of the tester. I'm not saying he did anything suspicious, but it certainly leaves the door open for finger pointing.
and thats the last thing he needs....is more French officials getting on his case about doping.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
come on...theyve been trying to burn this guy since he won his first Tour....theyre looking to get him anyway they can, and this is apparently how they are trying.
stupid frogs
:stupid:

They will try and get him any way they can...next they're going to complain about which hand he held his d!ck with when he pissed in the cup!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's what he said. There are reasons you aren't supposed to be out of sight of the tester. I'm not saying he did anything suspicious, but it certainly leaves the door open for finger pointing.
I would agree if this was his first test. But not only has he done 23 tests already, they tested his hair, blood, and urine.

What he could he had done in the shower to pass all three of those tests? Yank hair from Matthew McConaughey, inject his unborn twin's blood, and refill his fake nut urine reservoir?

Ultimately there is a debate about not a failed test, but a procedural "deviation", which the tester himself had agreed to.

I think they should fire the tester for allowing procedural deviations.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
What they are trying to get him for is totally insane, granted... but... and this is the bottom line ladies and gentlemen:

Lance knew the rules. Lance knows the French are out to get him for any and everything they can. Lance chose to deviate from the rules ever so slightly. He knew the risk better than anyone and he chose to take a shower instead of sitting with Johan and the tester while they confirmed his identity.

Again, I expect them to throw the book at him. It was a dumb mistake on his part. I want to see him attack in the mountains at the TDF this year as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid he may have showered his chances away.

It fuking blows!
:plthumbsdown::poster_oops::disgust1::clapping:

P.S. where was Johan in all of this. "Lance, no shower, sit your ass down and wait!"

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They will try and get him any way they can...next they're going to complain about which hand he held his d!ck with when he pissed in the cup!
UCI regulations clearly state the right hand must be used while performing testing.

Ultimately there is a debate about not a failed test, but a procedural "deviation", which the tester himself had agreed to.

I think they should fire the tester for allowing procedural deviations.
well its his word against theirs it seems. his team is saying the tester allowed him to shower...maybe the officials are saying different?

they should just swap his piss out with tainted urine and get this witch hunt over with.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What they are trying to get him for is totally insane, granted... but... and this is the bottom line ladies and gentlemen:

Lance knew the rules. Lance knows the French are out to get him for any and everything they can. Lance chose to deviate from the rules ever so slightly. He knew the risk better than anyone and he chose to take a shower instead of sitting with Johan and the tester while they confirmed his identity.

Again, I expect them to throw the book at him. It was a dumb mistake on his part. I want to see him attack in the mountains at the TDF this year as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid he may have showered his chances away.
Don't forget there is intent on any legal decision. If I thought Lance was trying to cheat, I wouldn't care if he was banned from cycling.

splat

Nam I am
The question I have is: How many times has this situation happened before in the gazillion tests he's done ? where the guy shows up and while they try to confirm that he is who he says he is, Lance takes a shower. Is there a precedence.

Have there been People who have shown Up posing as anti-doping personall before ? if so it sounds really creepy.

The 80s were a rough time for everyone...
The 80's Kicked Ass!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Cycling chief attacks French over Armstrong test
55 mins ago

LONDON – The head of world cycling on Friday accused France's anti-doping agency of unprofessional and "disturbing" behavior after it released a report saying Lance Armstrong did not fully cooperate with a drug tester.

The French agency, known as AFLD, said it could punish the seven-time Tour de France champion for not remaining in sight of the doctor conducting a test on his hair, urine and blood on March 17.

No banned substances were found and Armstrong has denied misbehaving, claiming that he was allowed to take a shower during a 20-minute delay.

While the tests fell outside the International Cycling Union's jurisdiction, Armstrong received the organization's backing on Friday.

"The fact (is) the test was done and was a matter of fact reported by Lance Armstrong himself on Twitter," UCI president Pat McQuaid told the BBC. "Then the French authorities decided to make up a report on the testing procedure, forward it to the UCI — knowing that the UCI have no jurisdiction in this case — and at the same time that report has leaked to the press.

"So I would have to question why is that the case? I would have to say that the French are not acting very professionally in this case."

Armstrong responded to the AFLD statement by taking swipes at French officials on his Twitter feed, saying "Was winning the Tour seven times that offensive?!?" and "Just took a shower. Got it down under 10 mins. Whew."

Armstrong has had tense relations with France's anti-doping authorities for years, but is hoping to win an eighth Tour title in July after coming out of a 3 1/2-year retirement.

"This is just another example of the improper behavior by the French laboratory and the French anti-doping organizations," Armstrong said in a statement Tuesday. "I am sorry that they are disappointed that all the tests were negative, but I do not use any prohibited drugs or substances."

McQuaid said proceedings between anti-doping agencies and the UCI are supposed to be kept confidential until "a decision to open up the case has been taken."

"But this case, it has leaked to the press and I do find that disturbing," he said.

Armstrong was training in Beaulieu-sur-Mer in southern France when the test was conducted. Armstrong said he had returned from a ride to find the tester at his house, identifying himself as a representative of a French lab.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Cycling chief attacks French over Armstrong test
55 mins ago

LONDON – The head of world cycling on Friday accused France's anti-doping agency of unprofessional and "disturbing" behavior after it released a report saying Lance Armstrong did not fully cooperate with a drug tester.

The French agency, known as AFLD, said it could punish the seven-time Tour de France champion for not remaining in sight of the doctor conducting a test on his hair, urine and blood on March 17.

No banned substances were found and Armstrong has denied misbehaving, claiming that he was allowed to take a shower during a 20-minute delay.

While the tests fell outside the International Cycling Union's jurisdiction, Armstrong received the organization's backing on Friday.

"The fact (is) the test was done and was a matter of fact reported by Lance Armstrong himself on Twitter," UCI president Pat McQuaid told the BBC. "Then the French authorities decided to make up a report on the testing procedure, forward it to the UCI — knowing that the UCI have no jurisdiction in this case — and at the same time that report has leaked to the press.

"So I would have to question why is that the case? I would have to say that the French are not acting very professionally in this case."

Armstrong responded to the AFLD statement by taking swipes at French officials on his Twitter feed, saying "Was winning the Tour seven times that offensive?!?" and "Just took a shower. Got it down under 10 mins. Whew."

Armstrong has had tense relations with France's anti-doping authorities for years, but is hoping to win an eighth Tour title in July after coming out of a 3 1/2-year retirement.

"This is just another example of the improper behavior by the French laboratory and the French anti-doping organizations," Armstrong said in a statement Tuesday. "I am sorry that they are disappointed that all the tests were negative, but I do not use any prohibited drugs or substances."

McQuaid said proceedings between anti-doping agencies and the UCI are supposed to be kept confidential until "a decision to open up the case has been taken."

"But this case, it has leaked to the press and I do find that disturbing," he said.

Armstrong was training in Beaulieu-sur-Mer in southern France when the test was conducted. Armstrong said he had returned from a ride to find the tester at his house, identifying himself as a representative of a French lab.
That guys is a lame duck as far as thee AFLD is concerned. Besides, the UCI complaining probably gives them even more desire to sanction him...
(1) they get to drop the hammer on lance finally.
(2) They get all sorts of press.
(3) They get to piss of the UCI again.

Too bad a few top teams cant just say. Were not doing the TDF anymore. That would take all the legitimacy out of the race, and after a while the cry baby frenchies would be 2nd to the Giro and maybe even the Vuelta.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Too bad a few top teams cant just say. Were not doing the TDF anymore. That would take all the legitimacy out of the race, and after a while the cry baby frenchies would be 2nd to the Giro and maybe even the Vuelta.
i'm with you on this point!! seems that the TdF has gotten way too big for their own good. while it's become THE race that people know about, it's not the only big tour out there or for that matter the only important race for racers or fans. seems to me that the spring classics get just as much admiration from racers and fans. somehow, someone has to step up and fix this problem. maybe a time for a change in mgmt. their pissed that a frenchie hasn't won the race in a long time. well if that's so important to them why not just allow french teams and riders to race and get it out of the way. i'm just curious as to how many dopers they'll catch this year. with all this drama and BS, i'd rather watch the Giro and Vuelta and skip the TdF.