Quantcast

Atomlab GI60 Fork

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
This baby looks hot, a little on the heavy side, but you've got a 100% Cro-mo fork. I just paid $500 for a fork, looks like I'll be paying another $225 at the end of the rear. I wonder if they'll offer a QR/10mm axle option, let's hope so.

http://www.declinemagazine.com/Nucleus/COMMUNITY.php?itemid=810
nice!! dam, i think it's time to start saving and email mike! 5lbs IMO really is not heavy..unless you compare to a gold label or something even lighter. man, so solid looking!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
great idea. the fork could use some refining. a 10mm option w/o disc mounts would be nice too. i'm glad someone is creating something like this

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Just got this from Thomas

"a QR would let the lowwers move independently and it would let the fork legs walk too much. at this point the idea is to get a couple more prototypes to beat the hell out of. if all goes well the weight will go down but for now 5lbs for a jumping suspension fork is pretty good especially if you know that it will bend before it snaps. plus $225 is less than the EP deal on my marzocchi 4X."

That's a bummer on the QR option, does Profile make a 20mm thru? front axle?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I agree w/ Stoked - a little refining/dialing in and offering a 10mm option would be nice to see.

Very good to see a simple fork option at a reasonable cost. The fork costs are getting out of hand that past couple of years.

Another cool thing, it looks like it would be easy to paint - I would have to ditch the white first thing myself.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Just got this from Thomas

"a QR would let the lowwers move independently and it would let the fork legs walk too much. at this point the idea is to get a couple more prototypes to beat the hell out of. if all goes well the weight will go down but for now 5lbs for a jumping suspension fork is pretty good especially if you know that it will bend before it snaps. plus $225 is less than the EP deal on my marzocchi 4X."

That's a bummer on the QR option, does Profile make a 20mm thru? front axle?

Here you go....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
good idea, the weight is a bummer...and i agree that the color could use some work, not a big fan of the chrome look either...we will see.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Unfortunately Opjones convered the NEED for 20mm thru axle. I went DJ'n for the first time yesterday on my rigid and it was butta so squish I guess isn't a big loss.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well finally the atom lab guys will have the right fork to ride instead of those poopy rst's that blow every 3 minutes and need constant air pressure

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
the only other fork I ever recall (worth mentioning) like this was the Scott Uni Blade or whatever from way back in the day. Forget the K-mart forks, they have nothing in common with this fork other than the fact that they have a welded crown and that's not enough to lump them together really. I think this design makes sense for todays jumpers who have super short travel forks that are sprung crazy firm. This design is much more simple and stronger as well as lower maintenance than current conventional forks. Also like someone said, it will bend before it breaks which is great.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I like the basic idea of it, I see plenty of places to shave weight later, BUT...for street I'm a bit worried about the stanchions being so close to the concrete. I know it's intended to be a dirt fork, but still, like you'd never run it on street?
And why the lack of enthusiasm for the 20mm axle? Hub choices? Pegs? What up? All I've ever know are 20mm front hubs, so I know no better...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree, I chew up all my forks on the lowers. They need some sort of guard.

There was a Marzocchi that had that design a while ago as I recall.

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Would their be a possibility of a 24" specific fork? Atomlab does make a fair amount of 24" specific stuff. I think that the fork looks great, but the stanchions being so close to the ground is a little nerve racking. Any word on when they are supposed to be dropping?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
And why the lack of enthusiasm for the 20mm axle? Hub choices? Pegs? What up? All I've ever know are 20mm front hubs, so I know no better...
yes more hub choices (save $$$), peg option, no disc mounts...

it was mentioned earlier, since it's an inverted fork, 20mm may be the only way to go. we'll see

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Here's what I knowwich isn't much (haha) Mike has had these on the burner for awhile he wanted to show them at interbike last year but the first one was not up to his high standard ( and if you know Mike he sets high standards for products) these forks you are seeing are 2nd generation prototypes he wants us (Me , Joe Perrizo , howie Zink , and Jeseme) to ride these and give our input. There is going to be 3 different axle options (i believe) 10mm , 14mm , and 20mm and there will be different spring / elastomer options Mike will not disappoint when it comes to a product like this and like he say's Atomlab is not a suspension company we are a company who wants to make products for the guys who loike to ride and not have to "pump up our forks or rebuild our hubs after every ride" .I hope to have this fork soon so I can comence thrashing on it to see what it is made of::biggrin: I will keep you posted on this baby.
Hope everyone is having a good start to their summer.
"Hacksaw" jim

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Thanks for being so nice as to test out sick new products for us... you bastid! :)
Tear it up, dood.
Actually, scratch that... what good does it do having a smooth pro test products??? Send that sh*t to me, I'm a TRUE hack, I'll test that mutha! I'd rather ride something that's hack proof over Hacksaw proof! yeah, yeah!

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
this is the kind of fork i've been talking about since like 2002.
Anyone remember the SC Monster threads?
I thought my prayers had been answered with the dj street, well, the year before it came out. by that time i realised it could be done for much less weight. And here it is, in all its crome-moly upside down glory. Now if the axle to crown length is something like reasonable... only thing is i've converted myself to riding rigid for street and jumps.

hmm, mightn't it being an upside down for make a lot more sence from a being scratched up perspective? You could run guards and just replace those once in a while and the fork will be pristine underneath.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Any more information on this fork?

Looks like Atomlab's site said in production and planned for shipping in November.

I would love to know the retail price and what the A-C measurement is.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Thanks for the pics mxsport.

I like how they used a 6 sided bolt for the 20mm axle setup - although it looks big (22mm I'm guessing). One thing I hate about the 20mm forks I've used, is getting the front wheel off. Manitou Jumper is 5 small allen bolts; Marz Z1 is 4.

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
One thing I hate about the 20mm forks I've used, is getting the front wheel off. Manitou Jumper is 5 small allen bolts; Marz Z1 is 4.
The RockShox Maxle 360 is the best axle system ever invented by a fairly large margin. I can get the wheel off my Argyle in about 10 seconds with no tools in sight. Sweet.

mxsport41

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
The maxle may be good in some ways but does get in the way and can have a loose feel. But Why do you need to take your axel off in 10 sec. I have a pike and would love to have a diffrent axel.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I agree, having used a Pike w/ Maxle it's quick but does have that loose feel (at least on the setup I had, and the Maxle 360 might have fixed it to). It also has that big ol' skewer/lever.

Reason for a qucik change: I usually throw my bike in the back of my car for transportation and as such need to take off the front wheel.