Quantcast

Atomlab GI60 Fork

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
I agree, having used a Pike w/ Maxle it's quick but does have that loose feel (at least on the setup I had, and the Maxle 360 might have fixed it to). It also has that big ol' skewer/lever.
I've never used a regular Maxle, but with the 360 you can tighten it as much as you want like a regular quick-release, but beefier. I don't worry about it at all when I'm riding, and it's a breeze to use.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
the new fox setup is pretty slick too, I almost like it better then the maxel 360 (I have both but on different rigs).

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Looks like I'll be getting to see one of these in person this weekend, probably ride it for a while too.
Thru an email, Atomlab said the forks are delayed a bit until Jan for a last minute update.

If you do see one, please let us know what you think - and if there's any way to take a pic please do - I'd love to see a "in-use" pic of that fork.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
hacksaws felt pretty damn rad (very stiff). They are making a mfg update/change and then the forks should roll out relatively soon.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thru an email, Atomlab said the forks are delayed a bit until Jan for a last minute update.

If you do see one, please let us know what you think - and if there's any way to take a pic please do - I'd love to see a "in-use" pic of that fork.
I saw a couple up at Supersesh. Hacksaw said he really likes his. I think the update is that they are making double dropouts on each leg. They felt the single wasn't strong enough.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
yup, there's a flange on the dropout on each side for the first protos, now there are 2 flanges on each side so its as stiff as it should be

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yup, there's a flange on the dropout on each side for the first protos, now there are 2 flanges on each side so its as stiff as it should be
Damn, from the pics on Atomlab's site - the dropouts look plenty beefy. But good for Atomlab - I wouldn't want an issue like the RST forks going on again.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Damn, from the pics on Atomlab's site - the dropouts look plenty beefy. But good for Atomlab - I wouldn't want an issue like the RST forks going on again.
haha ya, I think that might be in the back of consumers mind now when they complain about weight of a fork "wait a minute, do I want it snap in half in a few weeks"

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Here are a few pics I took last night. It didn't get put on a bike though, the bike never made it to the park because of the winter storm we have going on. I was compressing it outside though, and it's nice and stiff, the rebound seems to feel real nice too, but there's not much to rebound from.

Here are the lowers with the new gusset welded on. (it's snow and water on there if you're wondering)

Sorry about the $****ty camera skills. You can see a little bit of the disc tab there too.

Full

AC - 18"/457mm roughly, you make the call.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Thanks for the pics opjones :thumbs:

It's good seeing the modified dropouts - I think they definitely look like an impovement w/out much weight gain. I wouldn't mind seeing a way to get rid of that disk mount.

18" A-C lenght is good too - seems about the same as my Manitou Jumper and a 65mm Marz Nem Pro fork.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
No problem Don. I was really hoping to ride on it, but I could tell from just compressing it that it's going to be nice.
It wouldn't be that bad to cut the tab off if you didn't really want it.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Alright everyone here is the skinny on the GI60 fork . After the first testing was done during the summer we went back to the drawing board and beefed up the bottom of the fork adding another drop out and changing a few other things here and there,some of you saw the fork on my bike and Mikes bike@ SS3 and hopefully you got to mess around with it a little either on mine or Mikes bike.
The thing that we want you guys to know is that this really is not made for racing and all of that , this fork is made for Dirt Jumping , Street and Park . It rides really well at first it is kinda hard to look down and see basically a BMX crown but once that is gone (about 5 minutes) and you ride it and get use to it it is a really good fork .It sits pretty low as far as ride height so my suggestion would be to dial in your stack height under your stem real good , I ride my pretty low and my ride height is low also and it set up quick , but I may have cut too much off my steer tube (oops damn hacksaw's).

Mine it set up with the hardest springs and hardest elastomers so it barely moves but when I jump this thing it feels dead on as far a suspension goes. I have dumped and ditched my bike a few times also and the fork is still as true and straight as it was when I put it on. The rebound has a little to much spring to it but that is because I have the fastest elastomers so that is expected. Also there will be a way to put pegs on it if that is what you are into. On the street and in the Park it is extremely reactive and very predictable as far a suspension , real easy to ride.
I would have to say at first I was the biggest skeptic regarding this fork. After Mike got me on one and I got a chance to ride it I really like it . The production models will be alot better than the one I am riding because we have worked out alot of the bugs , and I think Mike is on to something here with this . They will be here in late Janurary and the price is under 300 bones ,plus the crowns will not blow off like other suspension forks on the market , just peice of mind is worth it's weight in gold.
Hope you all like it and hope to see some of you guys on it soon.

Take it easy
"Hacksaw"