Quantcast

automated full service car wash riped my roof rack off my car!! ahh

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
So as it says in the headline, a supersonic car wash that you drive onto a belt system and it pulls your car through Literally ripd the roof rack off my car. the roof is all scratched up, but even worse, my entire rack system, is completely f*$ked. My car kept going and the car behind me got dragged over the rack, part of it even got eaten by the belt drive system that’s there.

Now i know that your accepting some sort of risk when driving a car with a rack through one of these systems. Though i was not warned by the lady that took the money from me in the car, and they have a sign, but it was not in a very noticeable location. My insurance company says i should get it fixed then they will sue for me, and that i should also take them to small claims court. i filed a police report, and took a bazillion photos that i cant post right now so don’t ask.

so now i ask my fellow monkeys if anyone has ever had a similar experience and have any helpful info. by the way, i work at a shop and the rack was professionally installed and i can get another one at wholesale. Should i get an estimate from where i work or from another shop so i can get full retail value for it through insurance.... etc. etc. etc. so let the wise cracks begin.

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
haha,i was waiting for all the flaming, it was an aftermarket rack. the thing is, ive been through several of these types of car washes before with no problem whatsoever. shouldent there be a person that watches for stuff like this that hits a button to stop the system.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
You assume the risk when you enter. So the car wash isn't going to help you.

Depending on the damage turn in a claim and pay the rate hike.

Sorry.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
WTF is wrong with some of you people? How is it his stupidity?

My opinion is, if they accept my car, they take full responsibility to return it to me in like condition. A "sign" makes no difference as each car is different and needst to be considered.

And a "sign" doesn't waive them of responsibility.

I could put a sign on me that says "Superman", doesn't mean I am.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
From Yakima's install guide:

REMOVE ACCESSORY BEFORE ENTERING AN
AUTOMATIC CAR WASH.

Sounds pretty unambiguous to me.
Yeah, they're covering their ass. Cool.

But if the carwash allows you to enter, then they're saying that your vehicle meets their standards. It's that simple.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I run my car through one with my Thule rack, but there is a "Not Responsible" sign. Like most things in life: Pay your money and take your chances.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What about the unattended automatic car washes? Are they different?
Good point. Since I don't have the facts, I can't comment further. I just didn't understand why people were flaming the OP. Are we bored today or something?

I run my car through one with my Thule rack, but there is a "Not Responsible" sign. Like most things in life: Pay your money and take your chances.
You believe everything you read?

My ex could put a sign on her that said, "I don't have herpes" -- doesn't mean it ain't true.

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
its a thule rack, and it was a full service car wash, which means employees all over the place, there was an employee in the car behind me that ran over my rack

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Well - I would mark this up to "your stupidity" It's pretty obvious that something might happen if you take your car to a automatic car wash and have a roof rack - and if you tell me that you really thought your car would be safe I'm going to call you an idiot.

Welcome to the monkey !

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well - I would mark this up to "your stupidity" It's pretty obvious that something might happen if you take your car to a automatic car wash and have a roof rack - and if you tell me that you really thought your car would be safe I'm going to call you an idiot.

Welcome to the monkey !
Oh look, another one jumping on the pile. How nice.

Look, if a person can load up a roof rack with four bikes and cruise down the highway at 100mph, why would one expect that a simple carwash would rip it off?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Oh look, another one jumping on the pile. How nice.

Look, if a person can load up a roof rack with four bikes and cruise down the highway at 100mph, why would one expect that a simple carwash would rip it off?
Have you ever seen the crazy mechanical $hit that descends upon your car in one of those? I don't take my car into those because I'm afraid they're gonna tear my mirrors off. :D

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
There is - the car's owner...
:stupid:

Wow at some of the replies... This really distinguishes the "personal responsibility" crowd from the "save me from myself or I'll sue" crowd.

be-radd,
You say that you've been through several of these types of car washes before with no problem whatsoever... So, would you have argued with the attendant if he'd told you your rack was likely to incur damage?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't know maybe because that is what it was designed for - not getting tugged on by an automatic car wash arm
ok, if it was one of those carwashes, then sure.

I've only been to a touchless one in the past 10 years -- spray a powerstream. I didn't even know they still made those kinds of carwashes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ok, if it was one of those carwashes, then sure.

I've only been to a touchless one in the past 10 years -- spray a powerstream. I didn't even know they still made those kinds of carwashes.
They're 40 years old, but they're still around. The ones with the crazy brushes & giant leather flappy fingers? I should find one of those and see if it scares the $hit out of my kids. :thumb:

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
haha, good point. i talked to the corporate office of the carwash and it sounds like ill get paid for it. no insurance involved. i think this happens more than they would like to get out.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Problem solved.

Moral of the story...

If you need dough & don't like your roof rack, go to a carwash & get it ripped off.

Step three: profit