Quantcast

Avid XO 4 piston brake

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I must be the luckiest person on earth because SRAM has been amazing. I've almost exclusively put sram on customers bikes for nearly 5 years on all builds and all of my bikes and i only saw problems with the old codes(which everyone was given the new codes). Forks, derailleurs, brakes...everything has worked flawlessly. i've had more problems with fox/marzocchi/shimano equipment...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I must be the luckiest person on earth because SRAM has been amazing. I've almost exclusively put sram on customers bikes for nearly 5 years on all builds and all of my bikes and i only saw problems with the old codes(which everyone was given the new codes). Forks, derailleurs, brakes...everything has worked flawlessly. i've had more problems with fox/marzocchi/shimano equipment...
you should be playing the lottery

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My new Demo allready has 4 piston XO's.........:) That does look a lot like a code caliper. The XO's main purpose is for trail/xc.......the regular XO's have plenty of power so why do we need more?

I've had great luck with Sram stuff over the past 6 years, and hope to continue to. I have all shimano (XTR trail brakes with XTR/XT 10 speed drivetrain) on my AM bike and its great too.
Christ I have a 7 year old sert up Juicy carbon's on my hardtail that have been bullet proof.
There's allways somebody that has had bad luck with something. If you're one those people there's no need to hate just get something that works for you. We are lucky to have some big names making sick parts for our bikes.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My new Demo allready has 4 piston XO's.........:) That does look a lot like a code caliper. The XO's main purpose is for trail/xc.......the regular XO's have plenty of power so why do we need more?
the only thing XO on those brakes is the lever. i never found the X0's to have enough power, especially for bigger people on big bikes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes, but their customer service is so dreamy!
In here their distros are morons. They don't know crap and it takes ages.

I have no beef with sram drivetrain or suspension but their brakes? I'd rather run naked through Tijuana

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
the only thing XO on those brakes is the lever. i never found the X0's to have enough power, especially for bigger people on big bikes.
Ya.........I was attempting to be a smart ass. Especially where the pic of the 4 piston XO caliper looks just like a code caliper.

cheers

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've never had any problems with my juicy 5's, 7s, or elixer 5's. I did have to bleed my first gen codes a few times because they kept losing pressure though. All and all, pretty happy with the sram brakes I've owned.

Nov 17, 2004
I have been switching over to Shimano from Sram after much disappointment with reliability,Xt on my AM bikes and building a custom for my Dh,m975 levers with m755 four pot calibers,goodridge lines and hope v2 rotors.m755's in MOP are still one of the best calibers out there.

Bronco!

Chimp
Nov 14, 2009
What's the hype about 4piston brake? My Elixirs have plenty of power. I used to ride Codes, which were overpowered ****. No need for such things..and its heavier.
(Riding DH Mont-St-Anne/Bromont)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Consistency. I rode many hairy tracks on my old Oros but my new saints have a consistent feeling and don't get me worried about my brakes.
Also overpowered? I didn't skid with Gustavs, I don't with saints.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've never had any problems with my juicy 5's, 7s, or elixer 5's. I did have to bleed my first gen codes a few times because they kept losing pressure though. All and all, pretty happy with the sram brakes I've owned.
I have to agree. Never had problems with Avid performance or reliability on my own bikes (currently running Juicy 7s and Elixers).

I don't work in a shop any more but when I did I don't feel like I saw more issues with Avid than any other brand. At least with SRAM you know that if something is wrong they will just ship you out new parts with no hassle.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
4 piston has better modulation, not necessarily more power (hope m4 vs v2). But you don't need to be feathering your brakes anyway, on or off.

I had problems with all 3 sets of avid brakes I owned, only one lasted over a year. Riding buddies have had the same issues with all models, juicy 3 to codes. My hope brakes last longer between bleeds than most of my avids entire lifespan.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My hope brakes last longer between bleeds than most of my avids entire lifespan.
that's saying something!

I had a pair of Juicy 5s, and they were OK but lost their bleed randomly and would leak fluid. Every pair of codes I've ridden were great; plenty of power and modulation and great lever feel; until they stopped working. That's not for me, thanks.

Once I had performed a proper bleed on my Saints, they were fine for two years and were the best brakes I've ever ridden, which nothing particularly special done to them. I was also able to bleed them in a parking lot while they were on the bike.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
My first pair of juicy carbons have had 2 bleeds in 5 years and have been great. Cant say the same for my elixir, they lasted a few months before they started to crap out. Running codes atm and they are feeling good but time will tell if they hold up, if they dont i will look to formula for brakes.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
no hate at all here more options is good...

BUT

I now have shimano xtr trails on both bikes (dh w/ saint calipers) and really dont have a clue why someone would want anything else.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
no hate at all here more options is good...

BUT

I now have shimano xtr trails on both bikes (dh w/ saint calipers) and really dont have a clue why someone would want anything else.
Have you tried formula The Ones? I'll never run anything but formulas. I didn't much care for my saints while I had them, I am curious about the new xtr trails though.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
Hope here too for brakes, still using a set of circa 2000 4 pots (Hope Enduro's, just like this http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7327333/p4pb7327333.jpg

Bled them once when I first received them, been on four different bikes, still working perfectly. I am dreading the day when I can't find replacement pads anymore, will never downgrade to Shimano or SRAM after the perfect service these have given.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Have you tried formula The Ones? I'll never run anything but formulas. I didn't much care for my saints while I had them, I am curious about the new xtr trails though.
honestly yeah I have ridden them...pretty much the same performance really tough to tell a difference. I travel with my bikes quite a bit, its just nice to have a brake that I can easily find parts for if needed. The formulas are nice though...

SAINT - XTR combo is very nice though...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
funniest part is I was a big SRAM guy for the past years...Always loved the drivetrains but run shimano brakes and cranks on basically everything...

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Sram products must like Utahs dry and and high altitude.

All my bikes have Sram pretty exclusively. I have always liked their designs and parts have always been trouble free for me though. I think this is a ford/chevy or honda/yamaha debate though.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
This thread makes my heart warm

Everytime I'm at bromont,I always see guys getting their avid brakes bled at the shop :rofl: I swear.
Had a customer tell me his RED grouppo never shifts perfect up front as I had been told by superiors etc.

Nice looking products still and very light.

If you wana go on a shifter debate its simply.

One works one way,the other works 2 ways at the same time.

Like is it hard to figure out ?

oh p.s XTR and SAINT and pricepoint SLX and DURA ACE DI2 ULTEGRA DI2

BUST
I almost want to get a futur if ever release PRO supa wide bar and DM STEM.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
P-spec, Are you fvckin hammered when you decide to post replies???

Holy ****e man, my 3 month old cousin can structure a sentence better than you. You need help.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
P-spec, Are you fvckin hammered when you decide to post replies???

Holy ****e man, my 3 month old cousin can structure a sentence better than you. You need help.
. . . dude give the guy a break, I bet his french is way better then you 3 monthS old cousin :thumb:

I too was a diehard Sram fan for many years until recently... Their stuff literally made me angry was too many times and I couldnt be happier now that Im using Fox/Shimano on my bikes...One has to blind not to see the quality of Sram products simply isn't what it used to be ( top notch ) and its now hardly on par with the competition IMO.