Quantcast

Bike Commuting

splat

Nam I am
11 miles to work. Coming home varies depending on Bike and conditions . 12 -14 depending on those.

I use either my Hard tail Mt bike , when I have to ride in the dark( or on snow/ice ) . and when No darkness/snow is involved a road bike ( Road Bike/TT bike /Fixed gear )

Today I brought my TT road Bike

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
im only 5.2 miles in , although I f I get the job I interviewed for it will be 12 one way.
I Usally take my Hardtail StumpJumper with Town and country tires on it.. but the distance is short enough where any of my bikes would be fine

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have a 1970's fuji road bike. Maybe I'll get that thing in working order.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sq-Earl rides about 17 miles each way on his road bike. Before last spring, he used his old C-dale F500 HT with slicks. If I were to commute, it would be 35 miles each way :( I am hoping to get a job closer to home so I can ride to work though.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Laek House is good and I'm in the forthcoming Dirt Rag and May issue of Outside. Sweeeeet!
You got a mention in the Mar. 15 BRAIN as well.

Before we relocated at the end of January, I commuted 4.5 miles each way on my mtb. Now I commute about .3 mile each way by foot mostly since it takes longer to open and close the garage door than to walk down the street.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
About 5 blocks. But I am convinced its a good thing. I didn't own a car until last week. So I did a lot of bike commuting this last year. And I gotta say it sucked. I have learned to hate the cold and wet weather we get here. I don't mind it when I can actually enjoy it. But when it becomes a chore like on a rainy day... Well then fug that. I now have a choice. Its all good....

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
I ride my 1983 Norco Bigfoot whenever i don't want to worry about my good bikes.. I can travel anywhere from 1km to 10km. It rides like a charm, really smooth and i can get going fast on it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'd have to do a half century every day, and there's no way I'm moving closer to where I work, so it's the car for me.

Plus Wellington = teh windy quite often.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I ride my 1983 Norco Bigfoot whenever i don't want to worry about my good bikes.. I can travel anywhere from 1km to 10km. It rides like a charm, really smooth and i can get going fast on it.
Rad bike. I rock the 1998 Norco Bigfoot for commuting.

My commute is quadrupling in length from 5 km to 20ish km in a about a week so I might have to get something that fits a bit better. Plus, until now I've only been able to lock it on the sidewalk in front of my building so anything remotely potentially nice was a bad idea - I just joined a gym where you can lock it up inside so having something with gears and proper brakes might be worthwhile.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How many miles do you commute to work on your bike?

Oh, and what do you ride as a commuter?
20 miles roundtrip
'02 c'dale scalpel in winter & hail season
'96 c'dale r800 w/ spinergy spox when temps are warm enough to change a potential flat

~3X/week

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
other questions:

what's the ride like?
road or trail?
neighborhoods or boulevards?
do you log (& try to best) your times?
what was your worst commute?
ever get t-boned?

i add a couple miles to alleviate confrontations w/ cars & work in some trail. i greatly enjoy not sitting through 3 cycles of lights at most interchanges. on most days, 90% of my ride is auto-free.

Aeroplane

Chimp
Mar 16, 2007
16-20 miles roundtrip, depending on how much I meander.

I ride an 80's Centurion converted to fixed gear usage. All paved backroads. Never been hit, but I've seen my share of morons.