Quantcast

Black people can't hold watermelons. It's offensive.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The question read, "Condoleezza holds a watermelon just over the edge of the roof of the 300-foot Federal Building, and tosses it up with a velocity of 20 feet per second." The question went on to ask when the watermelon will hit the ground, based on a formula provided.
wtf? "based on a formula provided"???
what kind of math test is that????????

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
How was that question 'racially offensive'?

They say the question was originally written with the comedian, Gallegar(sp?), who used to smash watermelons. Probably no one remembers him, so they changed the name to someone else. Besides, who cares if it was referring to Condoleezza Rice and she was standing on a federal building? So she throws a watermelon up in the air, what's 'offensive' about that?

People need to start worrying about real problems and stop trying to find racism where it doesn't really exist.

"Peter's standing on top of porcupine rim. He throws a baseball in air. Based on the formula included, when will the baseball hit the ground?" - What? You saying I like baseball because I'm white? Please.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
MMike said:
It IS the US educational system.....
lol.
i remember i had a couple friends majoring in business in a small christian college in the same town as mine.
they had tests like that PLUS ti-89s allowed. and even then, they had to curve the grades...:rofl:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
peter6061 said:
How was that question 'racially offensive'?
Dude you're one of my boys and all, but for a college to have a reference to a prominent black female member of the current adminstration holding a watermelon on a test is just asking for trouble. Anyone with a brain knows what was going on there. Some teacher thought he (or she) was being funny, and didn't think about the consequences.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That's just wrong.

I'm positive you're not allowed to throw stuff off of federal buildings.

the fvck jew said:
Based on the tensile strength formula provided, how long of a piece of copper wire would two jews make fighting over a copper penny?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Whoever wrote that question needs their arse kicked. It doesn't take an Einstein to see that some people are gonna make the connection. Over-sensitive? Sure, and I'd reckon a majority of black people probably would not have been offended. But some obviously were and it's not really that hard to have predicted that.
Edit- what Echo said

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What a waste of energy. I don't even know where the watermelon thing comes from. Would a coconut be less offensive?

They should just have Michael Jackson dropping his baby off the balcony of a hotel instead. That way we can all have a good laugh, and learn at the same time.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
So now it's 'racist' for a black person to hold a watermelon? What am I missing here?

Remind me not to buy any watermelon this summer. I don't want to offend any of my friends.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It should have been a bell pepper.....

Da Peach said:
What a waste of energy. I don't even know where the watermelon thing comes from. Would a coconut be less offensive?

They should just have Michael Jackson dropping his baby off the balcony of a hotel instead. That way we can all have a good laugh, and learn at the same time.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Echo said:
Dude you're one of my boys and all, but for a college to have a reference to a prominent black female member of the current adminstration holding a watermelon on a test is just asking for trouble. Anyone with a brain knows what was going on there. Some teacher thought he (or she) was being funny, and didn't think about the consequences.

yup yup. poor judgement for sure.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sorry...I don't get it either. Is it just watermelons that are offensive, or does this apply to all fruit?

I have a dream that one day people of all colours can hold fruit and drop it off buildings without raising racial references.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I can't believe there are people in the USA who don't know the stereotype about black people and watermelon. What if the test said "basketball" or "collard greens" instead of watermelon?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok ok ok. Anyone here from the Deep South?

wikipedia said:
The image of a watermelon slice being eaten and general references to watermelons sometimes historically have been used derogatorily. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, African Americans often were depicted in racist caricatures as being inordinately fond of watermelon. Southerners of any race frequently have been lampooned for the fruit's popularity in the South over the years; however, some of the folk humor about Southerners has been gentle self-parody, as seen in the annual watermelon seed-spitting contests at Southern festivals like Georgia's "Redneck Olympics."

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I think its more prominently offensive in the south. Someone putting it on a test was either totally oblivious (doubtful) or just being a smartass.

Edit: Beat to it by sanjuro.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
sanjuro said:
Ok ok ok. Anyone here from the Deep South?
Ah, I see. I did not know that.

I wonder if attention like this helps the issue, or perpetuates it. I didn't even know of this stereotype...and now I do. I mean at some point, maybe it's too soon, don't we all just have to see this for what it is - a person holding fruit?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ridemonkey said:
Ah, I see. I did not know that.

I wonder if attention like this helps the issue, or perpetuates it. I didn't even know of this stereotype...and now I do. I mean at some point, maybe it's too soon, don't we all just have to see this for what it is - a person holding fruit?
She's not a person, she's a republican.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't get me wrong, the watermelon is a funny fruit, and perpetuating a 19th century stereotype is ridiculous.

However, there would be some people who might offended by the reference, and I know I would not be making watermelon jokes to random black people.

On the other hand, this would be like Ridemonkey banning me because I said, "You're from Canada? Why don't you eat a Tim Horton's donut?"

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
sanjuro said:
On the other hand, this would be like Ridemonkey banning me because I said, "You're from Canada? Why don't you eat a Tim Horton's donut?"
I agree. Again, not knowing all the details behind the stereotype, so pleading a little bit of ignorance here, I don't understand why asserting a fondness of watermelon is derogatory. I happen to love watermelons, they're delicious and refreshing. Ask anyone in the world what a Canadian's favourite food is and they'll say pancakes and maple syrup. Have you ever had real maple syrup? It's amazing! Would I take offense to someone assuming I like maple syrup because I'm Canadian? Um no...why would I?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ridemonkey said:
Would I take offense to someone assuming I like maple syrup because I'm Canadian? Um no...why would I?
The main difference being that, as far as I know, Canadians were never imported to the southern USA and forced to be slaves. Yet.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Let's see,... a white guy stands on the roof of a saltine factory and throws a cracker in the air. Given the supplied formula, when will it hit his jacked up 4x4 pickup truck?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sorry so small but here is an example of watermelons and the derogatory portrayal of african americans as the "picaninny" or whatever you'd prefer.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i agree that at that level you have to cut the crap and make serious tests, but turning a joke into a "racial" issue just because the main character is a black person.... come on...

using a known figure like this politician was a bad thing tough......

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Echo said:
The main difference being that, as far as I know, Canadians were never imported to the southern USA and forced to be slaves. Yet.
Come on now, I'm not suggesting that African Americans have had an easy past, or that they haven't faced extraordinary discrimination...I just don't understand the food link up.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
That was pretty poor judgement on the professor's part. Most people with half a brain can see that racial sterotype being played up.

Then again...
the Inbred said:
i mean...it is a community college.
...so I guess I'd cut the teacher some slack. :p

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
Come on now, I'm not suggesting that African Americans have had an easy past, or that they haven't faced extraordinary discrimination...I just don't understand the food link up.
People ran out of other crap to point at black people about so they used fried chicken, watermelon and pig's feet. They should throw the dumb ass that had the idea off of the building just for stirring up another unneeded controversy. It's just stupid. As much as I make fun of you Canadians, I am more than frequently jealous of your culture. Dumb ass Americans. :nonono:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Man, that picture sure is offensive. Two kids enjoying a slice. More power to anyone who was smart enough to know that watermelon tastes great.

Let's see, watermelon is grown mostly in warmer climates, so the south makes a great place. Slavery was predominent in the South. So a picture or statuette(sp?) of two black kids enjoying a slice is offensive?

If anything, I would hope they have an extra slice for when I get there.

edit: I'm done. People need to get over themselves on some of this stuff if we ever expect to move forward on issues like this. If it's offensive, fine. But let's find out why and address it there. Educate people so that people know. At this point it seems people are just waiting for something to be remotely offensive so they can take note and blow the situation out of proportion. At this rate, we are headed towards a race war and I don't know which side to play for.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
peter6061 said:
Man, that picture sure is offensive. Two kids enjoying a slice. More power to anyone who was smart enough to know that watermelon tastes great.

Let's see, watermelon is grown mostly in warmer climates, so the south makes a great place. Slavery was predominent in the South. So a picture or statuette(sp?) of two black kids enjoying a slice is offensive?

If anything, I would hope they have an extra slice for when I get there.

oh puhlease, your arguement is bunk ok. Their features are exagerated, their skin is black as night lips are huge and red. If you'll look at some of the other stereotype photos in the links you'll see that they aren't all children, there are acults as well. It goes back to a time when blacks were thought of and portrayed as savages that were half brain dead and needed to be controlled and tamed by the christian white man. Its offensive to many people not just a few. If you feel it shouldn't be, stage a protest.