Quantcast

Black people can't hold watermelons. It's offensive.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
peter6061 said:
Man, that picture sure is offensive. Two kids enjoying a slice. More power to anyone who was smart enough to know that watermelon tastes great.

Let's see, watermelon is grown mostly in warmer climates, so the south makes a great place. Slavery was predominent in the South. So a picture or statuette(sp?) of two black kids enjoying a slice is offensive?

If anything, I would hope they have an extra slice for when I get there.
http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/picaninny/homepage.htm

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/menu.htm

J

JRB

As big of a dumbass I am, I hate those little black figurines. Black people didn't have enough to get over without having to see a bunch of figurines that white people think are cute, for whatever reason??? Those are the people that should get over it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Really the point isn't how racist the connotation is. Really watermelons, fried chicken and the like are losing speed and are becoming more of a negative connotation against the south rather than simply african americans.

The point is that some ass hat thought they would make a joke using a medium that they KNEW would offend people, on a test none the less. I would have had issues finishing the test I imagine.

There is a time and a place for just about everything. If you still find picanninies amusing collect them in your house, throw racial jokes out at your barbeque next weekend. But don't ****ing bring it in to a class room setting and put it in to an exam.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
laura said:
Really the point isn't how racist the connotation is. Really watermelons, fried chicken and the like are losing speed and are becoming more of a negative connotation against the south rather than simply african americans.

The point is that some ass hat thought they would make a joke using a medium that they KNEW would offend people, on a test none the less. I would have had issues finishing the test I imagine.

There is a time and a place for just about everything. If you still find picanninies amusing collect them in your house, throw racial jokes out at your barbeque next weekend. But don't ****ing bring it in to a class room setting and put it in to an exam.
That's certainly fair enough, assuming they knew what they were doing, which they probably did.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I lived in Germany for four years.
Once, I had a part time job selling Belgian Chocolate around Christmas (such a hard job).
The owner of the business was .... belgian (not like the horse).

She was telling me about their christmas traditions, one of which involved a mean little black guy who tried to take away your presents. The little black guy looked JUST LIKE Laura's last post.

I was shocked. I couldn't believe it.

And then I heard this:

David Sedaris' "Six to Eight Black Men"

While our Santa flies on a sled, Saint Nicholas arrives by boat
and then transfers to a white horse. The event is televised, and
great crowds gather at the waterfront to greet him. I'm not sure
if there's a set date, but he generally docks in late November and
spends a few weeks hanging out and asking people what they want.

"Is it just him alone?" I asked. "Or does he come with backup?"

Oscar's English was close to perfect, but he seemed thrown by a
term normally reserved for police reinforcement.

"Helpers," I said. "Does he have any elves?"

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but I couldn't help but feel
personally insulted when Oscar denounced the very idea as grotesque
and unrealistic. "Elves," he said. "They're just so silly."

The words silly and unrealistic were redefined when I learned that
Saint Nicholas travels with what was consistently described as "six
to eight black men." I asked several Dutch people to narrow it
down, but none of them could give me an exact number. It was always
"six to eight," which seems strange, seeing as they've had hundreds
of years to get a decent count.

The six to eight black men were characterized as personal slaves
until the mid-fifties, when the political climate changed and it
was decided that instead of being slaves they were just good
friends. I think history has proven that something usually comes
between slavery and friendship, a period of time marked not by
cookies and quiet times beside the fire but by bloodshed and
mutual hostility. They have such violence in Holland, but rather
than duking it out among themselves, Santa and his former slaves
decided to take it out on the public. In the early years, if a
child was naughty, Saint Nicholas and the six to eight black men
would beat him with what Oscar described as "the small branch of
a tree."

"A switch?"

"Yes," he said. "That's it. They'd kick him and beat him with a
switch. Then, if the youngster was really bad, they'd put him in
a sack and take him back to Spain."

"Saint Nicholas would kick you?"

"Well, not anymore," Oscar said. "Now he just pretends to kick
you."

"And the six to eight black men?"

"Them, too."

He considered this to be progressive, but in a way I think it's
almost more perverse than the original punishment. "I'm going to
hurt you, but not really." How many times have we fallen for that
line? The fake slap invariably makes contact, adding the elements
of shock and betrayal to what had previously been plain, old-
fashioned fear. What kind of Santa spends his time pretending to
kick people before stuffing them into a canvas sack? Then, of
course, you've got the six to eight former slaves who could
potentially go off at any moment. This, I think, is the greatest
difference between us and the Dutch. While a certain segment of
our population might be perfectly happy with the arrangement, if
you told the average white American that six to eight nameless
black men would be sneaking into his house in the middle of the
night, he would barricade the doors and arm himself with whatever
he could get his hands on.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
peter6061 said:
Man, that picture sure is offensive. Two kids enjoying a slice. More power to anyone who was smart enough to know that watermelon tastes great.

Let's see, watermelon is grown mostly in warmer climates, so the south makes a great place. Slavery was predominent in the South. So a picture or statuette(sp?) of two black kids enjoying a slice is offensive?

If anything, I would hope they have an extra slice for when I get there.

edit: I'm done. People need to get over themselves on some of this stuff if we ever expect to move forward on issues like this. If it's offensive, fine. But let's find out why and address it there. Educate people so that people know. At this point it seems people are just waiting for something to be remotely offensive so they can take note and blow the situation out of proportion. At this rate, we are headed towards a race war and I don't know which side to play for.
My advice about any potentially racist comment: don't say anything that you wouldn't say in front of anyone.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
sanjuro said:
My advice about any potentially racist comment: don't say anything that you wouldn't say in front of anyone.
Did I make a racist comment or are you just referring to this whole thread and it's subject matter in general?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hehe that is kind of funny. But seriously now you have to know that is asking for trouble when you write it, all you need to say is somebody threw a watermelon.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
GumbaFish said:
Hehe that is kind of funny. But seriously now you have to know that is asking for trouble when you write it, all you need to say is somebody threw a watermelon.
No, you see, now someone will infer from your statement that the word, "somebody," refers to a black woman. Now the word, "somebody," will always carry with it the connotation that Condoleezza is tossing a watermelon around on a rooftop. It's like that whole, "you people," which I still don't understand. (edit: sorry, I forgot the little winky on this paragraph) ;)

For the record, I work in an office that is ~85% African American and I hear this stuff all the time. It goes both ways.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
They should have said that a machine built by representatives of all races and both sexes tossed a solid chunk of a nondescript material from the top of an unnamed structure...Then you cover all of your bases!:)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
"A person holds a watermelon....and it should be noted that the person was most DEFINITELY NOT of the African persuasion.....Anyway, this very white person drops the watermelon off of the roof of a mosque. How long....what? What do you mean? I can't say mos.....oh well this is ridiculous....the answer is 3.7 seconds. I'm outta here..."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
peter6061 said:
Did I make a racist comment or are you just referring to this whole thread and it's subject matter in general?
This is a rule for any topic you might think is offensive to other people.

Frankly, not everyone spends a lot of time with different racial groups. From what I have seen, white people tend to hang out with whites, blacks the same, and Asians, etc.

I like to say offensive things, but I try to keep in the general realm of obnoxiousness, not something specific. Like using the word gay, I avoid using it because many gays find it offensive.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
<snip>I like to say offensive things, but I try to keep in the general realm of obnoxiousness, not something specific. Like using the word gay, I avoid using it because many gays find it offensive.
I say it, but then I feel bad sometimes. Fortunately - my brother knows what I mean, so he doesn't take offense.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sanjuro said:
This is a rule for any topic you might think is offensive to other people.

Frankly, not everyone spends a lot of time with different racial groups. From what I have seen, white people tend to hang out with whites, blacks the same, and Asians, etc.

I like to say offensive things, but I try to keep in the general realm of obnoxiousness, not something specific. Like using the word gay, I avoid using it because many gays find it offensive.

I'm the same way, and i don't look at it as being unreasonably PC. I just don't want to piss anyone off or make anyone uncomfortable and I hope that people in my company would show me the same courtesy. I just think that jokes that aim to piss certain groups of people off are an annoying waste of energy and air.

As for pete's "it goes both ways" comment. No **** and it sucks coming from either "direction".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
I say it, but then I feel bad sometimes. Fortunately - my brother knows what I mean, so he doesn't take offense.
I hope you are not referring to me as your brother. I hate white people!!!

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
Nope - I am referring to my white brother. He's gay.

I sometimes wonder if you are really as dumb as you seem. I can only hope not. :think:

LordOpie - I don't think you deserve an answer. :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
I sometimes wonder if you are really as dumb as you seem. I can only hope not. :think:
I'm rubber and you're glue,
Whatever you say,
Bounces off me and sticks on you...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
sanjuro said:

If ever you come to Arizona give me a jingle, and we'll go for a ride. Anyway I'm only 3/4 caucasian, so you should only mildly dislike me.:rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Reactor said:
If ever you come to Arizona give me a jingle, and we'll go for a ride. Anyway I'm only 3/4 caucasian, so you should only mildly dislike me.:rolleyes:
Thanks, I will take you up on your offer next time I pass thru Arizona, which will be the first time for me.

And don't worry about being part caucasian. Some of my best friends are white, so I know what you are going thru :) :) :) :)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Loopie that was mildly funny the first time you posted it. It got less and less so each succeeding time. Now it's just tired.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
sanjuro said:
Probably true in most parts, however my friends are pretty much equally white, asian, black, european....I love Toronto. My neighbour to the left is West Indian, my neighbour to the right is Portuguese, the folks upstairs are Irish, and my girlfriend is Philipino....and I'm no different from anyone else in this city. It's beautiful.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I also like the name Condoleeza. I think it's a fair enough explanation.

CondolEEEza! It's fun to say. Just do the physics problem. It's not social studies class after all.

Condoooooooleezaaaaaaaaaa!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
peter6061 said:
So now it's 'racist' for a black person to hold a watermelon? What am I missing here?

Remind me not to buy any watermelon this summer. I don't want to offend any of my friends.
Watermelon, Koolaid, and chicken are all associated with black people. It's a stereotype, kinda like a "sleepy mexican" or "white hick."