Quantcast

Bluesday…In The Afternoon…

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm going to go hike the AT from Springer next Friday, want me to pick anything up for you while I'm there?
Are you really ? How far ?

Yes, pick me up some of that low stress vibe. Ya know, the version where the only important things are eating, pooping, shelter and reaching one’s destination for the day. Completely devoid of other people’s bullshit. Yes, yes that’s what I want.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Like every morning, I walk my kid to the daycare in his bright fluo green chariot. I always cross at the light, where the white pedestrian lights up when it's safe to go, even if it takes a long while with almost no car ever passing by. I'm thinking that it's nice to get him to learn to respect road rules early on.

This morning, the light goes on (he's always eager to see it) and we start crossing, but the stupid fuck at the red light decides to turn right just in front of us. I had a feeling this would happen so we stopped and let the lady drive through. I had to contain myself not to shout at her, but this happens so often nowadays and it pisses me off.

I walk to work too and cross many lights on my hour-long commute. I'd say that at every other light, someone either speeds up on the red light, or almost runs me over when I start crossing at the pedestrian light and theirs is red.

Nice way to start a tuesday, but vacations are coming soon.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Like every morning, I walk my kid to the daycare in his bright fluo green chariot. I always cross at the light, where the white pedestrian lights up when it's safe to go, even if it takes a long while with almost no car ever passing by. I'm thinking that it's nice to get him to learn to respect road rules early on.

This morning, the light goes on (he's always eager to see it) and we start crossing, but the stupid fuck at the red light decides to turn right just in front of us. I had a feeling this would happen so we stopped and let the lady drive through. I had to contain myself not to shout at her, but this happens so often nowadays and it pisses me off.

I walk to work too and cross many lights on my hour-long commute. I'd say that at every other light, someone either speeds up on the red light, or almost runs me over when I start crossing at the pedestrian light and theirs is red.

you need Montreal rules...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Based on my personal experience, you are far more likely to get clipped crossing at an intersection in the crosswalk with the pedestrian crossing light on. Best place is middle of the block since you have a further line of sight in either direction. That’s right, J-Walking is safer.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I was a serial J-walker before, but here in la belle province, people speed up from anywhere and they won't slow down if they see someone walking in the street. You're scientifically more likely to get honked or ran over here. People have really important things to do quickly and you're not going to slow them down for any reason.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell man! I paid $60 core charge and all I want to do is return my core and get my $60 back. I have tried 2 different stores, neither can figure it out. Apparently it shows the core charge in the system, but they can't seem to find a way to apply it. :rofl:

I'm dealing with geniuses here. The manager of the first store is on vacation, the manager of the second store was making a delivery.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man I've been getting rocked by spam phone calls lately, all from 970 and 971 area code numbers. I'm not sure if its my phone auto declining or what, but it usually rings once and then that's it, doesn't even give me time to attempt to answer it.

Does anyone else get these?

you need Montreal rules...
I'd love it if that was implemented everywhere.

The number of times I watch vehicles steamroll up to a red light, while blowing right through the pedestrian crosswalk area is mind blowing. It must be 70% of drivers do this, how are more people not hit with people doing this? Oh right, no one walks around here.

And if I'm making a right on a red, I hate having Karen behind me screaming, honking and going bezerk, just because I won't floor it out into traffic to get somewhere 10 seconds quicker.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The number of times I watch vehicles steamroll up to a red light, while blowing right through the pedestrian crosswalk area is mind blowing. It must be 70% of drivers do this, how are more people not hit with people doing this? Oh right, no one walks around here.
This happens everywhere. And this is how my 4 year old got hit on her bike while riding to preschool with me. (She was ok, just a little knuckle scratch from where she tumbled.)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are you really ? How far ?

Yes, pick me up some of that low stress vibe. Ya know, the version where the only important things are eating, pooping, shelter and reaching one’s destination for the day. Completely devoid of other people’s bullshit. Yes, yes that’s what I want.
Just passing through, MTB race nearby so I'll go do a little hike at Springer the day before. I did exactly the same in 2013 when I was there for the same race weekend.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting conversation with town clerk regarding establishing a home burial ground on our property. It's 100% legal in Vermont.
Virginia had no real laws on not just burial grounds but body disposal. I would be happy to have my carcass left in the woods for the bears and vultures.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I like the use of the Bluedie moos in the thread title

easy day at work, and I negotiated a 20% pay raise for myself and the senior EMTs to try to stem the outflow of good employees, myself included

home made falafel for dinner

Now beer and hammock time

20230829_170536.jpg20230826_163908.jpg

Last edited: