Quantcast

Brake pad brand and use

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
BRAKE PAD BRAND AND COMPOUND!
I gained weight and need more from brakes apparently...had em smoking they were cheap pads and 203/180 rotor combo...clocked over 45mph on street on big bike plus 240lbs of me......wouldn't push faster didn't trust brakes...t in the road had to slam the brakes on....needless to say they were smoking and front pad disintegrated....

Mid/big bike formula the one 220/203 rotor combo now
Big bike code 4 pot 220/203 rotor

So EBC red. Galfer Green, truckco, swiss stop, jagwire, koolstop, Clark's, trickstuff

Whats the take on best pad replacement for the stoppers.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
BRAKE PAD BRAND AND COMPOUND!
I gained weight and need more from brakes apparently...had em smoking they were cheap pads and 203/180 rotor combo...clocked over 45mph on street on big bike plus 240lbs of me......wouldn't push faster didn't trust brakes...t in the road had to slam the brakes on....needless to say they were smoking and front pad disintegrated....

Mid/big bike formula the one 220/203 rotor combo now
Big bike code 4 pot 220/203 rotor

So EBC red. Galfer Green, truckco, swiss stop, jagwire, koolstop, Clark's, trickstuff

Whats the take on best pad replacement for the stoppers.
Formula Metallic on the ones the others for that brake are junk knock off shit.

The pads don't matter on the sram brakes, they will never slow you down properly.... those brakes belong on a wallmart or Costco bike

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I ordered ebc red only cause that was the go to in past...galfer I'm going to try green compound...

But there were a ton of different 3rd part pads amd wanted to get a consensus on what people thought, use and recommendations...there wasn't really alot other than trickstuff + pads apparently did 18% increase over stock pads..

Yeah canadmos, thats the truth...mine held but the guy in the car who followed me said look down and they were billowing smoke....regardless they got me stopped....but front pads fell apart literally, rear tried to boil brake fluid.

So hit list was: (both bikes)
Motul rf600 brake fluid (have it from my old gixxer)
220mm rotors front 203 rear

Now to play with pads. But want to make sure they dont go awol on me in descent cause they are crappy to begin with...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Personally I think Codes with SRAM metal pads work just fine (in terms of consistency and power) for my 195 lbs, but they need to be less than 50% worn and have a pretty fresh bleed (and (duh) clean pistons). They really start to suffer once the pistons need more extension from pads that are worn more than that. That said, curious if you have better luck with other pads.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did you go from 45mph to a stop suddenly or a gradual slow down?

I would almost think that stopping on a road is more abusive to your brakes than on a trail. On trail, you're usually going slower and don't use the brakes for super extended amounts of time* and usually its just to scrub speed, not come to a full stop.

I'd be inclined to try Sram metal or the Trickstuff pads.

*unless riding long steep stuff dragging them. but in that situation you'd probably feel them fade before the pads go nuclear, no?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Been using RWD pads on my brakes. Best pads I've ever used. Not sure if they still make bike pads, as their website seems to be dead/not updated for a long time.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Personally I think Codes with SRAM metal pads work just fine (in terms of consistency and power) for my 195 lbs, but they need to be less than 50% worn and have a pretty fresh bleed (and (duh) clean pistons). They really start to suffer once the pistons need more extension from pads that are worn more than that. That said, curious if you have better luck with other pads.
Yeah I loved ebc reds back in the day, galfer green are supposed to be good and the trickstuff 630 supers are uk based but ill try and grab a set sooner than later...

I've heard of crap pads crumbling from heat....the rears boiled fluid from piston I've got a rebuild kit formula sent me....it didn't leak this weekend I threw crap pads in and the bigger rotors did well...but that wasn't a true test it was fast tight single track semi flowy...hard brake into hairpins...

I had great luck on formula ones for years...had rotors so hot they faded I had to cool em to get down...camelback did the trick....
I did throw codes on the big bike (they are both DH bikes just one more so than the other)...haven't shuttled yet, figure sky park and Crestline in a coupIe weeks or tunnels and cold springs in Santa barbara...

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Have used disco brakes pads for a long time now. They have several different compounds to choose from for most brakes out there. Set of 4 costs about what a single oem costs.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Has anyone here tried MTX? Been eyeing their gold pads to replace the rather-easy-to-glaze pads on my Dominion A4s. Steve Vanderhoeck is apparently supported by them and he definitely likes to do things where decent brakes matter so as not to die a horrible death, so maybe that's a solid athlete endorsement?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Used a few brands-

Nukeproof sintered on gen1 codes. No complaints. Worked nice, same as stock but cheaper

Nukeproof resin pads on formula ROs. Felt a bit worse than stock

Uberbike sintered on ROs. First set on par with stock performance wise, second set was worse. Idk

Stock formula resin (2 and 4 piston sizes)- nice until it rains

Stock formula sintered (2 piston)- work good but glaze too easy when riding park

Trickstiff power pads on ROs and Curas
Liked them a lot. Bit more bite, worked well in all conditions but fast wear

Hayes dominion resin- not amazing, and they hate the wet and Irish slime mud

Hayes dominion sintered(2 piston) work great in all conditions but glazed over real quick. Will see how the next set gets on. Curious to try other brands if anyone else has any recs

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Good info, thanks. How you liking those Dominions? I keep hearing good things but haven't been able to try them.
I bought some Dominion A4s to up the power from my old TRP Quadiem G-Spec, and they've delivered. The aesthetics aren't my favorite, but performance is really excellent. So far they are the closest thing I've found to the solid feel and reliability of the Quadiems, but with significantly more power. I like the slightly thicker than normal rotor (same as Magura, I think), I thought about trying the new TRP DH brakes but they were hard to track down. Lever feel is ridiculously light, sealed bearings at the lever pivot are nice as well. I honestly haven't met anyone who has tried them and been disappointed, and they're becoming increasingly popular on bikes around here (PNW).

Like I mentioned above, the metallic pads glazing is something several other guys I know have experienced so I'm eager to try an alternative like those MTX pads.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm on TRP Quads for my AM and my Trail bike, and I run Shimano metals, which is convenient since I run 810 Saints on my DH bike, so 1 pad to rule them all. In my experience, the Shimano metals provided moar stoppie power than the stock TRP resins, roughly equating to the same power of my Saints - but with much better modulation. I think TRP has a metal pad now themselves, but I keep using the Shimanos since I bought a "prepper-load" awhile back.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm on TRP Quads for my AM and my Trail bike, and I run Shimano metals, which is convenient since I run 810 Saints on my DH bike, so 1 pad to rule them all. In my experience, the Shimano metals provided moar stoppie power than the stock TRP resins, roughly equating to the same power of my Saints - but with much better modulation. I think TRP has a metal pad now themselves, but I keep using the Shimanos since I bought a "prepper-load" awhile back.
Hows the durability and glazing?
I can deal with squeal as long as I stop, but sanding rotors can get old....is it a wooden feel or a modulation....?

Sorry gonna throw a couple questions at you!

How do you like the trp brakes i just heard of em 2 weeks ago?

How do they compare to saints?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Obligatory YMMV, but I don't recall having a glazing issue with the Shimano metals (D02S model number btw) in my TRPs - but again these are on my non-gnar bikes, which don't see a lot of sustained descents in my part of the world. Modulation with the TRPs is always excellent, which is a massively underrated brake aspect IMO, especially when you're tired and/or dealing with steep & slippery stuff (the most powerful brake in galaxy is useless when its locked up all the time). I'd say my TRPs are very close to my 810 Saints in terms of ultimate power, although they're giving up some because they're on smaller rear rotors and the DH bike has strong sized 26" hoops, so a little less wheel lever.

The TRP lever ergonomics are OK, especially if you have biggish hands, but not as natural as say the Guides I have on my hardtail. They're a little better than my 810 Saints, but thats a low bar. No lever wiggle, they're easy to bleed, and they've been hella reliable.

Having tried Subopt's newer model Zees, I think they definitely lose the super, ball-stopping power contest, but it's pretty nice they never just go to the fucking bar and try to kill you (i.e. The "Feature"). Which brings up an interesting question for @kidwoo

Which way would you rather die?

A.) sudden crabon handlebar failure
B.) sudden Shimano non-existent bite point
C.) suddenly smothered in Loco's bare chest
D.) Yes

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Larger human (215lbs) riding long steep, rough, dry trails here, and been on a brake quest the last few years myself.

(1) I glaze sintered pads (namely: Shimano, EBC Gold, Formula) way too fast to use them any longer.

(2) By far, my favorite pads in performance are EBC reds, but they are getting harder to find, and I burn through them every month (approx 50,000 vert descending). I buy 10 sets when I find em at a decent price (~$15) to last the summer. The Magura Race pads are similar if you are an MT5/7 user.

(3) The stock Shimano resin pads, the Kool-Stop organic pads, and the TrickStuff power pads are pretty good in dry/dusty terrain, but all have a little less grab than the EBC Red, in my experience. I happily run any of these, as I get 2x the life from the pad, and it usually costs about the same (<$20 per pad). The Magura Performance pads are similar if you are an MT5/7 user.

(4) There are pads I have learned to avoid at all costs (take forever to bed in, can be loud, less bite, etc): namely, TRP resin, Tuckerco, off-brand eBay pads, etc. They don't work well... loud, no grip, etc. Saving $5-7 in pads and winding up with crappy performance is insane.

In short, the most readily available, not expensive, that fit most brakes, with functional pad surface, for me, is actually the Kool Stop organics (red backing plate). I clean my rotor with alcohol and take 15min riding around the driveway bedding them in, they are good to go. Not sexy, but they just work (for me). I just buy them on Ebay, usually around $15-17/set.

Currently riding 2 pair of TRP brakes, which work awesome - less initial bite than some others and 30g "heavy", but amazing control on really loose steep dry trail, and the rear only needed 1 quick lever bleed all of last summer (300k vert), which is way better than normal for me.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i'm getting my DH bike running for the summer, and it has Saint M800 brakes (first gen, the version that was reliable). truckstuff still has pads for them, but only in the ECO compound. worth it at ~$8 a set? or look elsewhere? just for the local bike park which isn't very steep, and no racing.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
How do you like the trp brakes i just heard of em 2 weeks ago?

How do they compare to saints?
I rode TRP Quadiems for 3 seasons and never had to bleed them for any performance issue. I bled them a couple of times just because its an easy Shimano-like process, but it was really a "I guess I should probably bleed these?" scenario versus noticing any appreciable difference in performance. Modulation is truly excellent, I found the lever very comfortable and quite stiff/substantial compared to some of the more flimsy lever designs out there, and they just feel really solid. The downside is the outright power isn't quite there compared to other options, they're less powerful than most other 4POT brakes mentioned commonly (Codes, Saints, Dominions). That's why TRP redesigned them, and I've heard amazing things about the new ones but couldn't track them down amidst COVID supply issues.

I know a lot of people love Saints, but they're probably the last brake I'd want to run these days. Shimano's wandering bite point issue is downright scary and it makes me ride more conservatively as a result. The power is great, but pair the bite point issue with the self-contaminating weepy pistons and I'm staying clear away from those brakes until they have a massive overhaul. I know loads of people still run them for the power, but with a brake like the Dominion getting incredible close, if not equal, to Saint power, there's no reason to deal with the Shimano BS anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
re: modulation

I'll still never understand the "mah brakys so strong I can't keep from lockin em up!!"

The punchiest brakes I've ever used are always the easiest to drag because it doesn't take any effort. I think people that learn to ride scary things in snot mud and dust land just learn how to brake. That's what I'm going with.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

I'll still never understand the "mah brakys so strong I can't keep from lockin em up!!"

The punchiest brakes I've ever used are always the easiest to drag because it doesn't take any effort. I think people that learn to ride scary things in snot mud and dust land just learn how to brake. That's what I'm going with.

Bought my wife's bike 2 months ago...used woman specific xc cause thats her comfort zone...the front brake had NO modulation...it was literally all on or all off...only time I've ever seen this plus lever had NO throw....it was Instant...so I bled them and they work perfect now...

This isn't the 99.9% of the "i can't modulate" stories lol...this was a mechanical issue.

She was complaining she was afraid of her fromt brake ..I kept telling her its your most used brake when going down for final control...she kept telling me she was almost over bars every time or it washed out...like a good husband I told her it's a new thing suck it up and learn...

Was hanging her bike on the rack in garage messed with front brake...whoops!!!! Lol quietly fixed it and did a semi backpedal appology...told her I adjusted her brakes and tried to play the hero hubby role...(didn't work lol)

That is the only time I have ever seen it and aside of a bleed I have no idea...it wasn't dragging while coasting...that sob was 100% on or 100% off the distance in throw before engagement was practically non existent

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I rode TRP Quadiems for 3 seasons and never had to bleed them for any performance issue. I bled them a couple of times just because its an easy Shimano-like process, but it was really a "I guess I should probably bleed these?" scenario versus noticing any appreciable difference in performance. Modulation is truly excellent, I found the lever very comfortable and quite stiff/substantial compared to some of the more flimsy lever designs out there, and they just feel really solid. The downside is the outright power isn't quite there compared to other options, they're less powerful than most other 4POT brakes mentioned commonly (Codes, Saints, Dominions). That's why TRP redesigned them, and I've heard amazing things about the new ones but couldn't track them down amidst COVID supply issues.

I know a lot of people love Saints, but they're probably the last brake I'd want to run these days. Shimano's wandering bite point issue is downright scary and it makes me ride more conservatively as a result. The power is great, but pair the bite point issue with the self-contaminating weepy pistons and I'm staying clear away from those brakes until they have a massive overhaul. I know loads of people still run them for the power, but with a brake like the Dominion getting incredible close, if not equal, to Saint power, there's no reason to deal with the Shimano BS anymore.
Thays cool ill have to check out the new version and read up...I'm also reading up on the dominion and formula 4 pot....
When set up right I've always had great luck with the ones....ran several sets don't mind a little maintenance here and there...they have always stopped me except when I r
Turned a rotor red at Bear freight training with a buddy through cables....alot of drag and pitch rear wheel...but steep and long.

I just see all the new stuff and man it seems to have jumped forward in a good way...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004

Dunno, I've ridden in Snowshoe space mud and super dusty rock slabs in Whistler, and I've always preferred a brake that doesn't lock up if a starving gnat runs into the brake lever. Its one thing to drag brakes on a longish descent, but quite another when you need to drop anchor in fits and starts. Have always ridden with pants on, so maybe thats my problem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I've never understood the desire for more power out of a brake, at least not In the last decade.

I like having fine modulation because not because I can't stop from locking them up, but because I like to apply very small amounts of rear brake through corners.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
super dusty rock slabs in Whistler,
that's not real dust :D

Snowshoe is exactly what I was thinking of however. And my standard is and always has been not the impact of a gnat, but the fart of a gnat in the next county over.

Punchy brakes are strong brakes. And the stronger the brake the lazier I can be with less effort. People just get used to feeling brakes engage and then KEEP SQUEEZING for some reason. I mean you can feel through your arms and feet when your brakes hit. That's the feedback you adjust from. That's part of the reason people get so touchy (get it?) about wandering bite points. It makes using the range of power unpredictable.

Stupid strong brakes that don't require a lot of squeeze past engagement make for more efficient riding in my world. Less effort means I can use my popeye arms for running into shit instead of moving fingers all over the range to feather. The closer I can keep that bite point to a five finger death grip on the bars the safer all hikers and equestrians in the area will be.

When I felt my first pair of V-brakes in like 1995 my response was "too strong, gonna flip"

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's not real dust :D

Snowshoe is exactly what I was thinking of however. And my standard is and always has been not the impact of a gnat, but the fart of a gnat in the next county over.

Punchy brakes are strong brakes. And the stronger the brake the lazier I can be with less effort. People just get used to feeling brakes engage and then KEEP SQUEEZING for some reason. I mean you can feel through your arms and feet when your brakes hit. That's the feedback you adjust from. That's part of the reason people get so touchy (get it?) about wandering bite points. It makes using the range of power unpredictable.

Stupid strong brakes that don't require a lot of squeeze past engagement make for more efficient riding in my world. Less effort means I can use my popeye arms for running into shit instead of moving fingers all over the range to feather. The closer I can keep that bite point to a five finger death grip on the bars the safer all hikers and equestrians in the area will be.

When I felt my first pair of V-brakes in like 1995 my response was "too strong, gonna flip"
do you know how many people still panic brake?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Wait, are Shimanos finally fixed or does he just have a new set of brakes that haven't made it to the wandering bite point phase of wear?

Having tried Subopt's newer model Zees, I think they definitely lose the super, ball-stopping power contest, but it's pretty nice they never just go to the fucking bar and try to kill you (i.e. The "Feature").