Quantcast

Building someone else's dream home...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Here's a link to a house I'm hoping to build real soon. Right now it's about $800k over budget so it may not happen. We were supposed to be in the ground already.

http://www.solsticehomes.com/index_fl.html

It's the "Napa Valley" house under "Signature Properties". There are architectural renderings and floorplans.

It's an extremely high end residence. Lot's of stone, steel, concrete and antique lumber. It's intended to have a '30's or '40's industrual flair. Cor-ten steel brackets and I-beams (cor-ten = rusty steel). Antique copper light fixtures and exposed conduit.

It's basically a "pod" style compound with five seperate structures. Main house, Bed/Bath 1, 2, 3, and a study.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
And for Nobody - here are a few pics of a uber modern home in san diego that my company is working on (unfortunately I am not involved in it, but it's the most rediculous hous I've ever seen.. even in magazines)

It's all concrete:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
For clarity, a large portion of the house is underground.
Yes, that's a lap pool on the roof.
Yes, there's also a glass bottomed coy pond above the dining room so when your eating you can look up and see the fish. (the glass is special, electrically conducted stuff that won't get condensation.. so it don't rain on the dinner table).
Yes, it has it's own underground parking.
Yes, the driveway goes over interior space so you have glass skylights built into the driveway that are rated for the guys hummer.
No, this project doesn't seem to have a budget.

And, of course, the architect doesn't speak english.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
For clarity, a large portion of the house is underground.
Yes, that's a lap pool on the roof.
Yes, there's also a glass bottomed coy pond above the dining room so when your eating you can look up and see the fish. (the glass is special, electrically conducted stuff that won't get condensation.. so it don't rain on the dinner table).
Yes, it has it's own underground parking.
Yes, the driveway goes over interior space so you have glass skylights built into the driveway that are rated for the guys hummer.
No, this project doesn't seem to have a budget.

And, of course, the architect doesn't speak english.
Hah! I guessed right on the lap pool!

Koi ponds are so over-rated...

The little pre-fab I showed [that I like] is just hyper-efficient. Euro-style, I admit.

Keep It Simple, is my filosofy.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Keep It Simple, is my filosofy.
I agree. I dispise big houses. They are fun to explore, but I imagine hell to live in. Too impersonal.
My house is 1600 sf and I think that's too big. I just need a bigger garage.

Also.. I'm into "green" stuff too and am actually working on a LEED's project right now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Every now and then I pick up a Dwell - this month has some cool pre-fabs. One is a super groovy deal in the desert. I love the idea of buying some land in the mountains/country somewhere and dropping a really simple and efficient prefab on it. It starts with a dream right?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Every now and then I pick up a Dwell - this month has some cool pre-fabs. One is a super groovy deal in the desert. I love the idea of buying some land in the mountains/country somewhere and dropping a really simple and efficient prefab on it. It starts with a dream right?
http://www.deckhouse.com/products/index.asp

This is the company that builds a lot of modern pre-fab stuff.
I'll probably do the same for my next house.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, I've built 2 other houses since this one...

Working on plans for 2 more...

nothing exciting... mostly the tired 'old world' look on the exterior that's popular with the bubbas around here. :rolleyes:

$$$

Post build exterior photo:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
No one values quality architecture anymore.:disgust1:

N 8, do you do any craftsman/arts and crafts style houses. Those are my faves, followed by the victorian and tudor styles.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
whats with the multi-pitch roof? Is that just the "style"?

I see a kicker to wall ride on the roof of that unit...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

N 8, do you do any craftsman/arts and crafts style houses. Those are my faves, followed by the victorian and tudor styles.
no... no one does those unless it's a very high end custom build.

That style is more labor intensive and you have to find subs who can handle it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA

Yes, some people do. It just costs more.

I'll see if I can dig up some photo's of stuff we've done for you to drool over. :busted:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I wish I had some pics of the custom Craftsman my friend just had built. It's not a subdivision psuedo Craftsman look. This one is the real deal from the roof line to the built ins and woodwork in side. Acres of hard wood floor, all the modern amenities but with authentic styling through and through. I know, useless comments without photos....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It comes as an optional attachment to the ceiling fan.
*wife*
"Honey I don't think we need a hot chicks room"

*husband*
"Well you said we didn't need a microwave and we use that darn thing all the time*

That was quoted from the old TV show The State.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ah, by custom i figured you were doing some neat design or detail stuff. does the client bring plans from an architect? i figure that would be the case.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ah, by custom i figured you were doing some neat design or detail stuff. does the client bring plans from an architect? i figure that would be the case.
its a plan my usual architect came up with.... it has a swing in garage which loads from the side in front of the home...

I may not build the dormer since it is for looks only and open to the attic since there is no 2nd floor and there is no way to get to it once the house is finished.

Front elevation

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Dropping off these plans at the permits office today... i would like to get the forms set by Friday as the weather seems to be mostly clear this week.

:)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I dunno, I can't help but think that it would have been nice to have the pine forest.

Rather than contributing to the rediculously tight developer happy sprawl. I know boat payments are a bitch but communities need to be planned better than whatever makes N8 and company the most money the fastest.