Quantcast

Bush backs Intelligent Design

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Intelligent Design.... Got Creationism?

August 1, 2005

WASHINGTON – President Bush said Monday he believes schools should discuss "intelligent design" alongside evolution when teaching students about the creation of life.

During a round-table interview with reporters from five Texas newspapers, Bush declined to go into detail on his personal views of the origin of life. But he said students should learn about both theories, Knight Ridder Newspapers reported.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Christian conservatives – a substantial part of Bush's voting base – have been pushing for the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. Scientists have rejected the theory as an attempt to force religion into science education.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Heath Sherratt said:
not so fast, whitey.

diversity applies only to color of skin over content of character; 10% of pkg spots at the gym must be handicap accessible; multi-culturalism means all cultures are equal (except for christianity); whenever you go to get heart surgery, make sure your doctor isn't from india (where the skilled ones come from), give someone of color an "opportunity" to blossom. did you think it was about you???

never does it ever mean a diversity of ideas to be tested. especially christian ideas; these must stay in the closet!

why can't you be like those good-ole jewboys & keep your ideas in your synagogue where we don't have to be disgusted by your differences

/sarc

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never understood the term "intelligent design". We have organs we don't use like the apendix and tonsils, snakes have bones for legs, it seems the designer wasn't doing a very good job. Maybe just victims of platform engineering like Pontiac.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
$tinkle said:
never does it ever mean a diversity of ideas to be tested. especially christian ideas; these must stay in the closet!
Intelligent design is not a scientific theory. There is no way to test it.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Westy said:
I never understood the term "intelligent design". We have organs we don't use like the apendix and tonsils, snakes have bones for legs, it seems the designer wasn't doing a very good job. Maybe just victims of platform engineering like Pontiac.
If we were created by "intelligent design" (LOL), then the designer sure did a ****ty job. Who is this moron that made us so disease prone and fragile?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ridemonkey said:
If we were created by "intelligent design" (LOL), then the designer sure did a ****ty job. Who is this moron that made us so disease prone and fragile?
I am going to submit an Engineering Change Request. I want to be able to shoot laser beams from my eyes and have pissed of hornets fly out of my butt.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Westy said:
I am going to submit an Engineering Change Request. I want to be able to shoot laser beams from my eyes and have pissed of hornets fly out of my butt.
We should get credits to buy upgrades. I want my right hand to be an anvil.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Ridemonkey said:
You'd think that evolution would have fixed those problems by now too....

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Westy said:
My right ear should double as a bottle opener.
Bah dammit you are getting all the good upgrades! Intelligent Design Dude, ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WESTY ISNT PLAYING FAIR!!!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ridemonkey said:
Bah dammit you are getting all the good upgrades! Intelligent Design Dude, ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WESTY ISNT PLAYING FAIR!!!!
Maybe you should have asked for a brain upgrade first. Then you could have thought of the cool stuff before Westy...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
bushwacker said:
You'd think that evolution would have fixed those problems by now too....
You are right. As an example: Native American were susceptible to smallpox because they were heathens, not because they lacked previous exposure and could not develop a resistance like proper god fearing Europeans.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Westy said:
You are right. As an example: Native American were susceptible to smallpox because they were heathens, not because they lacked previous exposure and could not develop a resistance like proper god fearing Europeans.
Now you've got it.

And the folks in hospitals with staph infections now impervious to previous antibiotics are only being punished for being gay.........or hating freedom...or having an abortion.....gawd punishes all of them equally.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
kidwoo said:
Now you've got it.

And the folks in hospitals with staph infections now impervious to previous antibiotics are only being punished for being gay.........or hating freedom...or having an abortion.....gawd punishes all of them equally.
Honest people who get sick are just being tested.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Silver said:
End of debate. Unfortunatly there are several million retards who don't understand that. Pres Bush is apparantly one of them. :nope:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Changleen said:
End of debate. Unfortunatly there are several million retards who don't understand that. Pres Bush is apparantly one of them. :nope:
sorry fellas, that's absolutely untrue, unfounded, and smack dab wrong.

from the van andel creation research center:
The Creation Research Society established the Van Andel Creation Research Center (VACRC) in north-central Arizona for the purpose of aiding the Society and other visiting scientists in their research efforts. The Society encourages a broad spectrum of research to develop and test a creation model, and administers a research grant program whereby modest funds are distributed to qualified researchers for the conduct of creation-related research.
but, yes, you are correct that this is the end of the debate, for you have joined it, and will no doubt take the stick and drive it into vile name calling, without any hope of influencing anyone to think your way.

you go girl.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
From the site of your idiot 'research' centre:

CRS Statement of Belief

All members must subscribe to the following statement of belief:

1. The Bible is the written Word of God, and because it is inspired throughout, all its assertions are historically and scientifically true in the original autographs. To the student of nature this means that the account of origins in Genesis is a factual presentation of simple historical truths.

2. All basic types of living things, including man, were made by direct creative acts of God during the Creation Week described in Genesis. Whatever biological changes have occurred since Creation Week have accomplished only changes within the original created kinds.

3. The great flood described in Genesis, commonly referred to as the Noachian Flood, was an historic event worldwide in its extent and effect.

4. We are an organization of Christian men and women of science who accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. The account of the special creation of Adam and Eve as one man and one woman and their subsequent fall into sin is the basis for our belief in the necessity of a Savior for all mankind. Therefore, salvation can come only through accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior.
Sometimes, $tinkle, vile name calling is in order. You're a damn idiot who clearly hasn't the first clue about what science means. The queue for the short bus is over there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
Silver said:
:stupid:

and :nuts: to everyone else

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Damn True said:
Take it to the supreme court. That's what the rest of the left does when their agenda is voted down.
Why are you in favor of religion and creationism being taught in school? Are private schools, religious education, and bible study not enough? I went through religious education for years, but only went through a handful of chapters on evolution in school. Is this not "fair" enough for you?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If I were the Christian right, I would be concerned that a backing by Bush would DIScredit intelligent design.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
Take it to the supreme court. That's what the rest of the left does when their agenda is voted down.
Conservatives just throw their hands up and say "oh well" when they can't get their way outside the court. And only Liberals try to use half truths to deceive and manipulate public opinion. Conservatives are rubber and Liberals are glue. Liberals also have cooties. Conservaties Dads can beat up Liberal Dads.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Isn't it interesting how the some people all are about pushing religion, when it happens to be their flavor?

Bet it wouldn't be so great if they had a science class teaching the Hindu theory of creation, they'd scream bloody murder. How about a pledge of allegience that had "One nation, sunservient to out lord Satan", would they want their child saying that. I wouldn't. I'm a Buddhist, and I don't want my child to go to a school that forces her to acknowledge a God, I don't believe exists. Many people feel the same way, either out of personal or religious reasons.

I don't want her to have a religious theory presented as science in science class. I don't care if it's my religion or yours, religion has no place in the science class or school. The one possible exception would be in a class that gives equal treatment to all religions, even the ones you and I may not agree with, to expose children to a larger world, and perhaps give them the empathy their parents are so often sorely lacking of.

According to the last census only 52.7% of Americans are members of a Christian-ish church. The rest are non-practicing, agnostic, athiest, or of another religion such as Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Muslim.

America is changing, it's getting more diverse, ans as Americans we have have to take off the blinders, look and learn about the people around us, not harrass them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'll say it again...teach SCIENCE in SCIENCE class, and RELIGION in RELIGION class.

It's fine for students to learn about creationism-in religion class, where students should learn about the ideas presented by many of the world's religions. In science class, discuss scientifically testable theories.

'Intelligent design' is NOT testable by the scientific method, nor will it ever be. Teaching it as a theory is inherently anti-science, because it circumvents what you're trying to teach...proper application of the scientific method. It's simply incorrect to teach it as science...it's not doing American children much service to pretend that it IS science because it makes a given community (secular or religious) feel better.

Science class SHOULD specifically mention that the theory of evolution is at odds with other worldviews outside of science...and challenge students to resolve that conflict personally. It shouldn't try to wrap a non-scientific idea or agenda in the cloak of 'science' to try and prop these ideas up.

It's not the schools' role to push any specific agenda, evolutionary or otherwise...but teaching evolution isn't 'endorsement' of it; it's simply teaching the ONLY current scientific theory of life's origins and development. When another one comes along that is as scientifically supportable as evolution, we should teach it, too, or possibly even instead.

Similarly, teaching creationism in religion class shouldn't be an endorsement of creationist theory...it's exposing students to widely-held ideas--hopefully MANY widely-held ideas.

Don't believe in evolution? Think a different religious/philosophical opinion is superior? Cool. Fine...no one says science is the answer to everything, me included (especially me!).

But if 'intelligent design' is taught as science, we're hamstringing the future of this country...we need to be on the forefront of scientific thought, not clinging to aesthetically pleasing concepts for the sake of a particular community's comfort, and wrapping them in the cloak of science to make them seem more palatable. America needs to lead the world in science and technology, not try and avoid it. Hell, if America won't see the facts that biological and genetic research WILL develop despite any moral protest, we will end up being its victims, economically and perhaps worse, rather than its masters. I'd rather face the devil I do know than the devil I don't.

(I'm back online...)

MD

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Changleen said:
So what was your problem with my admonishing $tinkle for claiming otherwise? Make up your mind.
MikeD can make words that even DT can relate to. Even if he's saying the same thing we've all been talking about all along.