Quantcast

Bush backs Intelligent Design

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
from one of their abstracts:

"While many questions regarding the human brain still remain, its origin cannot be explained by current evolutionary theory. The ability of the human brain to interact with the human mind clearly points to an Almighty Creator."

QED.

:rolleyes:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
"While many questions regarding the human brain still remain, its origin cannot be explained by current evolutionary theory. The ability of the human brain to interact with the human mind clearly points to an Almighty Creator."

QED.

That's great. :rolleyes: Throw some speculation on a page and follow it with QED, and suddenly it looks almost like science. Try this:

While many questions regarding the human nose hair still remain, its origin cannot be explained by current evolutionary theory. The ability of the human nose to interact with the human nose clearly points to an Almighty Creator

QED.

Now that's crunchy good science! :D

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
How about this:

While many questions regarding the thermonuclear weapon still remain, its origin is not enumerated in current biblical translations. The ability of the theromnuclear weapon human to interact with humanity and destroy it in the blink of a eye clearly disproves the existance of God. What sane, rational and all knowing being would give it's children the ability to destroy all of creation.

QED.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uh, narlus' QED was OUTSIDE the quote. his own sarcastic commentary, if you will.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Reactor said:
How about this:

While many questions regarding the thermonuclear weapon still remain, its origin is not enumerated in current biblical translations. The ability of the theromnuclear weapon human to interact with humanity and destroy it in the blink of a eye clearly disproves the existance of God. What sane, rational and all knowing being would give it's children the ability to destroy all of creation.

QED.
:thumb:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
$tinkle said:
Great editorial! To quote the last paragraph:
"To teach faith as science is to undermine the very idea of science, which is the acquisition of new knowledge through hypothesis, experimentation and evidence. To teach it as science is to encourage the supercilious caricature of America as a nation in the thrall of religious authority. To teach it as science is to discredit the welcome recent advances in permitting the public expression of religion. Faith can and should be proclaimed from every mountaintop and city square. But it has no place in science class. To impose it on the teaching of evolution is not just to invite ridicule but to earn it."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Reactor said:
How about this:

QED.
i wonder if they pronouce it NEW-KYOO-LER

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
narlus said:
are you straddling the fence now, or did you fall off it?
when silver wrote "Intelligent design is not a scientific theory. There is no way to test it.", i took issue w/ that, as my translation of ID is not equal to creationism (which inserts god in the gaps), but rather an approach scrubbed of all religious references; end result invites investigation into the possibility of a designer & purposeful sentient being with his hand influencing events.

the problem i have with "gap theory" (i think it's called that), is the claim that anything not known or agreeably explained has to be relegated to god, but not what is known. seems blithely dismissive & conflicting to me.

as i first posted, evolution is worthy of testing; i never dismissed it nor offered to replace it w/ ID. i merely was asserting that ID - like evolution - can be tested (using the scientific method). unfortunately, this is currently unsupported by the facts.

comes down to a-priori vs. a-posteriori knowledge & observability/repeatability.

quoting john kerry: "you win some, you lose some"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
$tinkle said:
i merely was asserting that ID - like evolution - can be tested (using the scientific method).

How?

Wouldn't testing for ID mean that you are basically dismissing science while using science to test for something that dis-proves science?

:think:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
H8R said:
How?

Wouldn't testing for ID mean that you are basically dismissing science while using science to test for something that dis-proves science?

didja read the next sentence, corky?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
$tinkle said:
didja read the next sentence, corky?
No. I hen-pecked your post - did you say anything cool?

And that's MR. Corky to you!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
when silver wrote "Intelligent design is not a scientific theory. There is no way to test it.", i took issue w/ that, as my translation of ID is not equal to creationism (which inserts god in the gaps), but rather an approach scrubbed of all religious references; end result invites investigation into the possibility of a designer & purposeful sentient being with his hand influencing events.

the problem i have with "gap theory" (i think it's called that), is the claim that anything not known or agreeably explained has to be relegated to god, but not what is known. seems blithely dismissive & conflicting to me.

as i first posted, evolution is worthy of testing; i never dismissed it nor offered to replace it w/ ID. i merely was asserting that ID - like evolution - can be tested (using the scientific method). unfortunately, this is currently unsupported by the facts.

comes down to a-priori vs. a-posteriori knowledge & observability/repeatability.

quoting john kerry: "you win some, you lose some"
I am glad you admit this is the case. :)

If you look at the background of ID theory, a large portion of it's support has come directly from those who previously espoused creationism. There was an excellent article in New Scientist recently about this, and how ID is essentially a repackaging of creationism, as you say, with the word God scrubbed out.

The basic problem still exists however, that they start with a premis and view their 'evidence' in light of that premis, often discounting swathes of vast interelated science whilst doing so (See the ridiculous Grand Canyon theories).

The need to do things in this way also talks alot about the irrationality and blind faith of those who propse it. Regular science has not ruled out the possiblity of a universal creator. It just seems with the evidence availible to us today that if someone/thing did create the universe, they have made no attempt to manipulate it's development post creation.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
$tinkle said:
i merely was asserting that ID - like evolution - can be tested (using the scientific method).
How? It isn't falsifiable. You show counter evidence to an ID claim, and they can always fall back on the God card.

For example:

Geologist: Fossils date back millions of years. Therefore the world isn't 6000 years old.

Creationist: Yes it is! Jesus put the fossils there and misleads our dating methods to test our faith!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176050,00.html

The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, becoming the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.
Anyone wanna guess that he's getting in trouble.

Edit:
Especially when your boss says

Last week, Pope Benedict XVI waded indirectly into the evolution debate by saying the universe was made by an "intelligent project" and criticizing those who in the name of science say its creation was without direction or order.

Questions about the Vatican's position on evolution were raised in July by Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn.

In a New York Times column, Schoenborn seemed to back intelligent design and dismissed a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that evolution was "more than just a hypothesis." Schoenborn said the late pope's statement was "rather vague and unimportant."

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
$tinkle said:
not so fast, whitey.

diversity applies only to color of skin over content of character; 10% of pkg spots at the gym must be handicap accessible; multi-culturalism means all cultures are equal (except for christianity); whenever you go to get heart surgery, make sure your doctor isn't from india (where the skilled ones come from), give someone of color an "opportunity" to blossom. did you think it was about you???

never does it ever mean a diversity of ideas to be tested. especially christian ideas; these must stay in the closet!

why can't you be like those good-ole jewboys & keep your ideas in your synagogue where we don't have to be disgusted by your differences

/sarc
Oh, right...sorry.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Silver said:
Intelligent design is not a scientific theory. There is no way to test it.
Actually bro, their is more scientific fact backing the Intelligent design "theory" than evolution. It should be allowed at least to be disputed just as evolution is. Allowed is different than ignored or even supported. It just means that we would be able to make up our own mind and not have them made up for us...isn't that the American way? Isn't that what freedom means? to be free to make our own decisions and learn with all of the choices put in front of us? Or should we just oppress the poor Christians and their "foolish beliefs" like loving thier neighbors and loving their enemies. Keep them in the closet. it's safer. Talk about Hypocrisy. Double standards and all that. :nope:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
kidwoo said:
Now you've got it.

And the folks in hospitals with staph infections now impervious to previous antibiotics are only being punished for being gay.........or hating freedom...or having an abortion.....gawd punishes all of them equally.
The Shadow proves the Sunshine. When will you heathens get it right? God loves, Satan destroys. So silly.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heath Sherratt said:
Actually bro, their is more scientific fact backing the Intelligent design "theory" than evolution.
No kidding! Proponents of ID have even stated that God put dinosaur bones in the earth to fool the unfaithful.

That proves it!

Seriously, give us ONE solid scientific fact that proves ANYTHING about ID.

I'll cue up the crickets.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Reactor said:
Isn't it interesting how the some people all are about pushing religion, when it happens to be their flavor?

Bet it wouldn't be so great if they had a science class teaching the Hindu theory of creation, they'd scream bloody murder. How about a pledge of allegience that had "One nation, sunservient to out lord Satan", would they want their child saying that. I wouldn't. I'm a Buddhist, and I don't want my child to go to a school that forces her to acknowledge a God, I don't believe exists. Many people feel the same way, either out of personal or religious reasons.

I don't want her to have a religious theory presented as science in science class. I don't care if it's my religion or yours, religion has no place in the science class or school. The one possible exception would be in a class that gives equal treatment to all religions, even the ones you and I may not agree with, to expose children to a larger world, and perhaps give them the empathy their parents are so often sorely lacking of.

According to the last census only 52.7% of Americans are members of a Christian-ish church. The rest are non-practicing, agnostic, athiest, or of another religion such as Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Muslim.

America is changing, it's getting more diverse, ans as Americans we have have to take off the blinders, look and learn about the people around us, not harrass them.
How is pushing non-religion any different?

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
H8R said:
No kidding! Proponents of ID have even stated that God put dinosaur bones in the earth to fool the unfaithful.

That proves it!

Seriously, give us ONE solid scientific fact that proves ANYTHING about ID.

I'll cue up the crickets.
Crickets are any excellent idea! They have over a trillion cells, yet they just happened to form into a living form that is far more complicated than the watch on your wrist. Take your watch and take it apart then put all the pieces into a box. Shake it up and let me know when it evolves into a watch...

Cue crickets again.;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heath Sherratt said:
Crickets are any excellent idea! They have over a trillion cells, yet they just happened to form into a living form that is far more complicated than the watch on your wrist. Take your watch and take it apart then put all the pieces into a box. Shake it up and let me know when it evolves into a watch...

Cue crickets again.;)
So...my watch not putting itself back together = God exists.

Brilliant.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
H8R said:
So...my watch not putting itself back together = God exists.

Brilliant.
Actually you use something in science called deductive reasoning.
I.E. If you have a lawnmower, you probably have a lawn. If you have a lawn you probably have a house. If you have a house you probably have a mortgage. If you have a mortgage you probably have a wife. If you have no lawnmower you are probably gay.:D

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Assessing the Opposition to Intelligent Design
by Jason Carlson and Ron Carlson

This past week President Bush declared his support for the theory of Intelligent Design. President Bush, along with 50% of Americans, believes that the theory of Intelligent Design should be taught side-by-side with the theory of Evolution in our nation’s schools. While this was an absolutely intelligent declaration by President Bush, his comments drew nothing but anger and ridicule from the Secularists of the world.

The Secularists of the world cannot tolerate the possibility of a Creator-God (because once you admit there is a Creator, then you become morally responsible to the Creator); and they will do anything and everything to remove the option of a Creator-God from the table. There are a number of primary strategies employed by the Secularists to dismiss the option of Divine intervention and the theory of Intelligent Design as an explanation for the origin of life.

The first strategy the Secularists have used to dismiss the option of a Creator-God and the theory of Intelligent Design is to redefine the historical meaning of science. When it comes to the question of the origin of life, Secularists have redefined “science” to equal “naturalistic evolution”. In framing the debate in these terms, the Secularists have ruled out the possibility of God a priori, stating that only naturalistic explanations will be considered “scientific”. As a result of this, Secularists cling to the theory of naturalistic evolution as the only “scientific” explanation for life, in spite of facts such as: the failure of naturalistic evolution to account for the origin of life from non-living matter, or the failure of naturalistic evolution to account for natural selection’s demonstrable inability to produce any new genetic information, or the failure of naturalistic evolution to explain immense complexities like the single cell, the eye, or the ear (the problem of irreducible complexity). In spite of all of these problems and more, the Secular advocates of naturalistic evolution maintain that they alone are looking at the question of origins “scientifically”.

The second strategy often employed by the Secularists, in the debate over the place of Intelligent Design theory in our nation’s schools, is to attack the position of Intelligent Design with false labels. So, when you listen to Secular commentators or read their editorials, you will often hear Intelligent Design ridiculed as “pseudo-science”, “Creationism 2.0”, “Creationism’s modern stepchild”, “faith disguised as science”, or “flat-earth science”. All of these labels are used with the purpose of flippantly dismissing Intelligent Design from the table of options without ever seriously addressing the arguments and claims of Intelligent Design. These ad hominem attacks only serve to reveal the philosophical bias the Secularists have against any theory for the origin of life that doesn’t rely solely on Naturalistic explanations.

Finally, a third strategy used by the Secularists to write off Intelligent Design is the tactic of stating that Intelligent Design is a philosophical or faith position and therefore does not belong in the realm of scientific debate and inquiry. This strategy contains the same flaws of the two false strategy’s mentioned above, but includes the additional flaw of failing to recognize the philosophical nature of their own, Secularist position. Secularism and its theory of naturalistic evolution are just as much of a philosophical or faith position as is Intelligent Design. No matter how “scientific” Secularists claim naturalistic evolution to be, the fact remains that when we are dealing with the question of origins, we are dealing with philosophical propositions. Science is based on observation and experimentation; and since nobody was around to observe the origin of life, and since it has not and cannot be replicated in experimentation, we are therefore dealing in the realm of philosophical speculation, not science.

Thus, the real questions should be, which philosophical position has more scientific evidence to support it and do students in science classes have the academic freedom to analyze and critique the pros and cons of any theory of origins that claims to be true? This is where Intelligent Design theory and the theory of naturalistic evolution should be evaluated on the same terms… which is exactly what 50% of Americans believe and what President Bush called for this week.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
DRB said:
An essay isn't scientific fact either.
Science is observation and experimentation. If I can observe the Bible and experiment and find it is one hundred percent acurate historicaly, geographically, Factualy. Then it would concur, scientifically that it is a fact. By experimentation and by observation.
Scientific. Fact. Scientific fact.