Quantcast

Buying on eBay ... Safe or Not Safe ?

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
Hi guys,

Wanted to ask for your advise, I want to buy 2007 X.O Trigger Shifters & 2007 X.O Rear Derailleur, I found a shop in eBay shop

that is willing to ship the items to me, both for only xxx.xx$US INCLUDING DELIVERY !

I checked and this price is like xx% off retail shops ... I wanted to ask if anybody have past experience with that shop on ebay because the price seems attractive, but i'm not a big fan of buying staff online with my credit card ...

Any suggestions ?

THANKS !

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
No they will probably rip you off and steal your money so that they can hire more people to spam more message boards so as to steal even more money and hire even more people to spam even more message boards so that they can steal still more money.....

Well you get the idea, it's your basic evil concpiracy by the CIA to bankrupt mountain bikers so that they won't have money to buy guns to defend themselvs when the supreem alien overlords come down to regain control of the earth. Oops I've said to much, the deathsquads will come knocking on my door any minute now........

Hi guys,

Wanted to ask for your advise, I want to buy 2007 X.O Trigger Shifters & 2007 X.O Rear Derailleur, I found a shop in eBay shop

that is willing to ship the items to me, both for only xxx.xx$US INCLUDING DELIVERY !

I checked and this price is like xx% off retail shops ... I wanted to ask if anybody have past experience with that shop on ebay because the price seems attractive, but i'm not a big fan of buying staff online with my credit card ...

Any suggestions ?

THANKS !
Yeah, I've found that buying staff online can cause problems....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm about 80% sure this is spam but on the off chance that it's not, I've just edited the posts :p

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
I'm about 80% sure this is spam but on the off chance that it's not, I've just edited the posts :p
I was recommended by a friend to ask such query on ridemonkey
but I don't really understand the attitude in here, it was an honest question and I couldn't get a decent answer for, anyway, i'll check around elsewhere, thanks anyway.

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe if you posted the link to the item, you wouldn't have gotten such a response.

Check the seller's rating. See how many negatives they have, what percent positive rating. That is your best indicator.
I did provide the link ... but "binary visions" decided to filter my message and take out whatever he wanted ... I'm guessing he
is one of those "anti noobs" ... then the answer came from that "maxyedor" that I think need to be hospitalised ... anyhow I posted my question on pinkbike ... the attitude of the administrators there seems to be different.
Thanks for the feedback tip, i saw this shop got only 1 negative feedback since 2004, so it sounds promising.

Thanks for the first honest answer Quo Fan.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I have found that most of the shops on ebay are pretty cool. I like " Geargurl Cycles International" they seen to have really good prices however I'm not sure they have what you are looking for.
Follow the basic ebay rules - check the stores history, maybe look at the last 10 or so sales they have made to other people. Use paypal!

Sorry that you feel like people here treated you badly - I would guess they are not use to they first post from someone have a link to an online store.

Anyhow I hope you will stick around RM is a great resource for any mountain bike questions you may have.

Welcome to RM

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was recommended by a friend to ask such query on ridemonkey
but I don't really understand the attitude in here, it was an honest question and I couldn't get a decent answer for, anyway, i'll check around elsewhere, thanks anyway.
Hey, I apologize. However, we get a ton of spam bots who come in pretending to as a "question" but in reality they're just driving traffic towards the link provided. The possibility that it wasn't a spam was why I left the message intact. I am not "anti-noob" - a first post with a link towards a retail business is fairly suspicious.

eBay is a pretty safe place to do business if you A) check the seller's feedback, and B) use a reliable method of payment - a credit card with a buyer protection policy, Paypal, etc. I have bought probably 10 or 15 things from eBay, even some fairly big ticket items, and have never had a problem that I couldn't resolve.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Hey Hey Hey...I built my entire bike with ebay. $3800. for all of the misc. parts (and a few tools). I had nothing but good expieriences. I have also spent thousands of dollars of other peoples money on ebay buying plumbing fixtures for kitchen and bathroom remodels. You have to be an informed shopper. You need to know the exact specs on both what you want and what you are buying. If you need more info, email the seller. If they don't respond, you don't whant to buy from them anyway. I only buy from sellers with near perfect feedback. EBAY ROCKS!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I did provide the link ... but "binary visions" decided to filter my message and take out whatever he wanted ... I'm guessing he
is one of those "anti noobs" ... then the answer came from that "maxyedor" that I think need to be hospitalised ... anyhow I posted my question on pinkbike ... the attitude of the administrators there seems to be different.
Thanks for the feedback tip, i saw this shop got only 1 negative feedback since 2004, so it sounds promising.

Thanks for the first honest answer Quo Fan.
BV is a moderator and a very good one at that, and I thought your original post sounded awfully a lot like spam.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
My entire bike (except rear derailleur) is from ebay and i bought each piece individually building it up (about a total of 8 buys) and i never got burnt once, just pay with paypal and shop wisely and everything will work out

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Sweet he said I needed to be hospitalized, I gotta admit that this is starting to look like some sort of hybrid super-spam usually it's a guy in a hut somewhere getting payed $1 a week to post on as many message boards as possible, this guy keeps commenting and worked the PinkBike angle. Thus proving my CIA theory.

Follow-up question, would buying tinfoil hats on ebay be safe?

Yeah, I've found that buying staff online can cause problems....
A rare funny comment from Mastercycleman, nice work.

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
You are a very negative character and you proved that already to everybody, the fact that you posted few more messages then others doesn't give you anymore power then anybody else around here ... now it's already clear that you are not willing to help, so how about stoppping to complain for few min and let people that are willing to provide answers to participate ...

Sweet he said I needed to be hospitalized, I gotta admit that this is starting to look like some sort of hybrid super-spam usually it's a guy in a hut somewhere getting payed $1 a week to post on as many message boards as possible, this guy keeps commenting and worked the PinkBike angle. Thus proving my CIA theory.

Follow-up question, would buying tinfoil hats on ebay be safe?

A rare funny comment from Mastercycleman, nice work.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You are a very negative character and you proved that already to everybody, the fact that you posted few more messages then others doesn't give you anymore power then anybody else around here ... now it's already clear that you are not willing to help, so how about stoppping to complain for few min and let people that are willing to provide answers to participate ...
Such a delicate flower.... :disgust1:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I tried to purchase a few contortionist midgets on eBay once. They were damaged in shipping, and Paypal wouldn't cover it on the grounds that "buying and selling humans on eBay is illegal".

Scammers.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
I just bought a shock on ebay...it got to my door in 2 business days...in condition promised. Just look at the sellers &#8220;feedback" score, in particular, the diversity of "positive" comments.

I&#8217;m happy with my product.

Hope this helps!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
In Canada? I'll take it!!!!!! $23,000,000 Canadian dollars? You got a deal, I'll paypal you, $1.27US;) that should also cover Paypals 3% too

Just messing with you D :D
brian, in the last couple of years, the US dollar has been on the receiving end of that particular joke (against almost any 1st world currency you can think of), w/ no end in sight.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
That's better then being a chauvinist like maxyedor ....
So now I'm a chauvinist, that hurts a little bit:dead:

But really, you said the company has good feedback, you said the price was right, and you think PayPal is 100% secure and safe (I got news for you it's not) So what's your question? Oh now I remember, it was something about wether buying from an Ebay vendor who you beleive is trustworthy, using a payment method wich you beleive to be safe is a smart idea, and you need to ask a bunch of asshats on Ridemonkey, and from reading your posts you aksed on PinkBike too, to give an opinion?

Read through a few other posts in the Lounge, much smarter questions have been given much much dumber answers, that's sorta how RM works.

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
It looks like SPAM to me, the IP address for going dh is from Hong Kong, as is the place the parts are comming from.

Nice try big guy.
Brian my friend, I'm using a wireless linksys router that have a virtual ip address, so i've got no idea how you got to that conclusion ...

going_dh

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
I move we let him stay...

He puts forth far more effort than other spammers out there :D
According to Blue's attiude, I can guess that he's a serious rider ...
what you are riding Blue ? what kinda frame you've got ?