Quantcast

Campers

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Unless you find something that's already been "re-shelled" I'd be prepared to have to strip it to the frame and build up from the floor. I've only seen a couple refurbish jobs that didn't run into serious rebuilds.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After seeing a couple cool ones at the festival this weekend, the wife and I talked about redoing a "vintage" trailer. Seems we could do it for under $10k and the thing might actually INCREASE in value if done well.

Something like this with a sub $3k asking. As long as it has a toilet, the wife is on board.

Don't you have a motorcycle to finish building amongst many other projects?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't you have a motorcycle to finish building amongst many other projects?
If only :(

I was all set to sell the car and buy a bike, then we got the dog. While the dog isn't the biggest fan of the Corvette, she at least can ride in it and we can take her with us places. While the wife loves the idea of going on rides again, she also doesn't like being away from the dog and a sidecar was not a good alternative. :rofl:

So besides working on bikes for the neighborhood, fixing the boys car, and trying to keep my own vehicles kept up, I don't have any real projects. So...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If only :(

I was all set to sell the car and buy a bike, then we got the dog. While the dog isn't the biggest fan of the Corvette, she at least can ride in it and we can take her with us places. While the wife loves the idea of going on rides again, she also doesn't like being away from the dog and a sidecar was not a good alternative. :rofl:

So besides working on bikes for the neighborhood, fixing the boys car, and trying to keep my own vehicles kept up, I don't have any real projects. So...
Sell Corvette. Sell old Chevy truck. Buy 1st gen Sprinter and install a mini-RV interior with the proceeds.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And you'll wind up with cramped quarters that your wife will hate...

Anything you're considering getting used, do a deep inspection. Wet = bad, rotten or soft = bad, leaks = bad...
I spent some time yesterday looking at a few good sites about restoring, what to look for, what to tackle and what to pass on. I have seen a lot of "well kept originals" that are good options. I like the idea of finding one that has had the outside addressed. With the weather here, waterproof is a must, but FlexSeal is cheap, too. :rofl:

<edit> I like the idea of an unpowered trailer vs Sprinter/Van type setup. I would rather not have to fix the powertrain as well as the living spaces. Also, a small sub 2k trailer can be towed with the wifes CRV as well as my Silverado.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mine's 3K fully loaded, so my CRV's out, even as a spotting tug.
A few of them are wicked light. The issue is space, I need to see some in person and feel it out. Like the "Low Liner" looks bad ass, but I am 6'4", not sure I could deal if it is tiny inside.

A guy in my 'hood has this one:

<edit> The housing market is so bad, someone has started to finish that house it is parked in front of. I think the original builder gave up around '08.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So the wife and I are nearing ready to pull the trigger on a smallish one. A friend has a gently used R-pod we could likely get a sweet deal, but she thinks it is just a little too small. I have drawn the line at 22 feet unless we do end up using it as a business, then I'll go to 26. With just the 2 of us, we don't need much. But if we are looking at 7+ day trips, something a little bigger would be nice.
We have taken multiple 10 day trips in our 18ft trailer with a dog and 2 kids!we're short so the smaller ceilings don't bother us (husband is the tallest and he's 5'10").

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So after reading some stuff, the wife is rethinking the whole "vintage" thing. Then over the weekend, I saw a "Hood River Edition" R-Pod that looks perfect. The 180 has a separate shower and a queen bed with the outdoor kitchen while still being small enough to tow with my 3/4 ton Silverado.

Looking at about $15k used. A little more than I wanted to spend initially, but being ready to go and not have to do a damn thing becomes more and more valuable. :rofl:

When we were camping, the couple with the bitchin' Airstream had matching red Vespas for cruising around camp and town. I dig it.

So after reading some stuff, the wife is rethinking the whole "vintage" thing. Then over the weekend, I saw a "Hood River Edition" R-Pod that looks perfect. The 180 has a separate shower and a queen bed with the outdoor kitchen while still being small enough to tow with my 3/4 ton Silverado.

Looking at about $15k used. A little more than I wanted to spend initially, but being ready to go and not have to do a damn thing becomes more and more valuable. :rofl:

When we were camping, the couple with the bitchin' Airstream had matching red Vespas for cruising around camp and town. I dig it.
I think if you look carefully you can find one new for that price.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Seems like a good call. There's a lot to be said for instant gratification and proof of concept. Plus if you like the whole trailer thing you can always restore one later.

Whatever you do just make sure it comes with anti-tipping technology...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seems like a good call. There's a lot to be said for instant gratification and proof of concept. Plus if you like the whole trailer thing you can always restore one later.

Whatever you do just make sure it comes with anti-tipping technology...
I still love to build stuff, but as I get older, my time has become more valuable and there are things I would rather do. I mean, I could see spending 3 months in the winter restoring a camper and have it ready by Spring. But is that REALLY how I want to spend my Winter?

And if we end up with some property and I have a proper shop, I will have space to park a trailer AND space to restore a cool old school one. Use the vintage for quick outs, or sell the big one if we like it, or just have both because 'Merica.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
First time it's moved since I the renovation began in February. Trying to get the weight distribution hitch setup which has proved to be a little trickier due to my truck being lifted with an aftermarket bumper. Trailer is sitting a bit nose high for my liking, perhaps an under-over on the axle is in my future.

IMG_2484 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
First time it's moved since I the renovation began in February. Trying to get the weight distribution hitch setup which has proved to be a little trickier due to my truck being lifted with an aftermarket bumper. Trailer is sitting a bit nose high for my liking, perhaps an under-over on the axle is in my future.

you just need a ball receiver with more drop to it

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=drop+hitch+ball+mounts&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkZfLBRCzg-69tJy84N8BEiQAffAwquoiTjh-oN83JLXuElVSTAavxUUkTfyBp8n9fgX5a34aAkCL8P8HAQ

What's the trailer weight?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm running running a weight distribution setup with the longest shank I can find to clear the rear mounted spare tire. Ball is in the lowest position at the moment as well. I think I've pulled all the levers I have when it comes to the hitch setup unless I ditch weight distribution.

What's the trailer weight?
Gonna have to make a trip to the scale to answer that. From the factory it was 3,400 lbs dry. During renovation we removed the dinette, the fold down couch thingy, the bunk bed, and the bank of cabinets above the dinette and all of that has been replaced with just a bed frame at the moment. I'd have to imagine it's probably closer to 3,100 lbs at the moment.

I will gain some tongue weight once I fill up the freshwater tank and have the mattress on the bed. The truck will squat a bit more as I add passengers and gear too. I just have no idea if it will get to level once I do those two things.

I'm running running a weight distribution setup with the longest shank I can find to clear the rear mounted spare tire. Ball is in the lowest position at the moment as well. I think I've pulled all the levers I have when it comes to the hitch setup unless I ditch weight distribution.

Gonna have to make a trip to the scale to answer that. From the factory it was 3,400 lbs dry. During renovation we removed the dinette, the fold down couch thingy, the bunk bed, and the bank of cabinets above the dinette and all of that has been replaced with just a bed frame at the moment. I'd have to imagine it's probably closer to 3,100 lbs at the moment.

I will gain some tongue weight once I fill up the freshwater tank and have the mattress on the bed. The truck will squat a bit more as I add passengers and gear too. I just have no idea if it will get to level once I do those two things.
Weight distribution hitch seems overkill for something that light.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
for those interested in designing the interior of a van/camper....try sketchup....it is free.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife's hair dresser is selling their R-Pod 176 or something. He wants $15k and I think he's crazy, but I know they only used it maybe 3 times ever.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I hate my camper. Spent the past 5 days and 700 miles on the road with it and it has worked flawlessly, it's just a giant pita and not conducive to the type of camping I like to do. The wife now understands my initial apprehension. Sooo, methinks it's gonna get sold. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Want, after someone else restores it and pops in a modern, reliable powertrain.

I hate my camper. Spent the past 5 days and 700 miles on the road with it and it has worked flawlessly, it's just a giant pita and not conducive to the type of camping I like to do. The wife now understands my initial apprehension. Sooo, methinks it's gonna get sold. :rofl:
Why is it a PITA and what is this camping style you're into for which it's not conducive? It's not a good backpacking rig, too heavy to pull along the trail with a harness?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Why is it a PITA and what is this camping style you're into for which it's not conducive? It's not a good backpacking rig, too heavy to pull along the trail with a harness?
OK, fill us in, what did you expect and what did you experience?
Expectation: Not a big deal to tow. Any inconvenience I might encounter would be an afterthought once I experienced the comfort of a great indoor space at camp.

Reality: Mentally taxing to tow through the mountains of CO. Pegged at 30 mph up the mountain passes and sitting at 25 mph on the downs to keep things in control. The indoor space was nice, especially whereas it rained a pile during our trip. The size proved a bit too unwieldy for my likings and I didn't feel comfortable attempting to take it down mild forest service roads to get to some good boon docking type campsites.

Methinks we are going to sell it, purchase a 6x10ish or so cargo trailer and build that out instead. It should end up with a significantly smaller footprint and be half the weight of the current trailer. We'll be hauling this thing often enough that I don't want to be uncomfortable doing so, and we'll be moving enough that it could be a real drag. Anyway, I think the wife is finally convinced that smaller = betterer and we should design something with similar amenities that is as small as we can manage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have almost given up on going on rides in the mountains on the weekends because it takes me twice as long to get home because I get stuck behind long strings of people towing campers completely unable to get even close to 20 mph of the speed limit.

If you have to drag a little house with you you are not really camping, you have a mobile trailer park.

I don't even understand the allure. I like to camp to get away from civilization and connect with nature. Yain't doing that with a microwave and a tankful of your own shit.

Camping in a trailer is equivalent to riding a 3 wheeled motorcyle or an e-bike.

Kill list.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
On the upside I had the pleasure of attempting to back it into a bay at an RV hellpark with all kinds of witnesses. Needless to say it went about as well as you might expect for someone who has never backed up a trailer in their life. :rofl: