Quantcast

Campers

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
once you get to Santa Cruz go hit the Soquel Demo Forest. They just reopened it this past weekend after clearing shitloads of storm damage. Best "Legal" trails in the county and better than most non legal trails too. If you come east 50 miles we have some good food and 65 wineries in Livermore

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I want to hit up the soquell demo forest, i think I'm close to at new Brighton state beach. But I got two little kids and a wife with things too do in the area. I'm stoping at big bear on the way home for a couple
Days and am riding there. There's a pump track up the road I might hit up wed morning.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I want to hit up the soquell demo forest, i think I'm close to at new Brighton state beach. But I got two little kids and a wife with things too do in the area. I'm stoping at big bear on the way home for a couple
Days and am riding there. There's a pump track up the road I might hit up wed morning.
from New Brighton there are a couple of close rides. Nisene Marks in Aptos,(they may have rebuilt the post office jumps) which by coincidence lead you to the Demo if you do a 12 mile fire road climb. Delaveiga Park has some nice pumpy trails. UCSC (best don't get caught) trails that drop onto hwy 9, Finally Wilder Ranch. Best Chili Rellons and all around good mexican food is at Manuels in Seacliff about on mile south of the New Brighton entrance

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Promaster is working out nicely. Camped in it with a air mattress and sleeping bag. Plenty of room no skeeters. We got the screen for the back door. Works like a champ. We are out of cash so we will have to wait for the side door awning tent.

What is the screen door you have?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So the post that holds up the dinette table in my 2008 Lance 1055 ripped out. The table top is junk. Essentially it is resin impregnated cardboard with a styrofoam core. I will build a new solid table top but I needed a quick fix in the interim. I cut some 3/4 plywood to fit between the slider rails and cut a notch to allow the support leg to fold flat so we could still use the table top to make the dinette into a bed. The support leg is screwed into the plywood which is screwed into the side slider rails. It should be more stable than the original. Took me 30 minutes. and yes it had come loose on the road so I did a dirty fix with polystyrene foam. Reassembled and ready for the weekend

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I am going to spend the next 4 weekends in a row at various show venues. I had this weekend off and spent more than a few hours cleaning the grime and dust from the past month of horse shows out of the camper. It will look nice at least though this weekend.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Note to self: Do not get distracted and forget to switch refrigerator from battery to propane. 11% capacity is not a Good Thing.
Do you use propane at camp and battery when traveling? Or just cut power when traveling?

I only ask because I've spent so much time rebuilding this thing that I have no idea how to actually use it. :rofl:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Do you use propane at camp and battery when traveling? Or just cut power when traveling?

I only ask because I've spent so much time rebuilding this thing that I have no idea how to actually use it. :rofl:
Sounds like JBP left his fridge on AC when he wasn't plugged in and drained his house batteries.

Not sure what you've got but ideally your fridge runs on 3 different power sources: AC, DC, and propane. If so, it's usually AC when you're plugged in, DC when the motor's running, and propane for the rest (such as camping off-grid). If you forget to switch you can drain your house batteries (if you leave it on AC) or your car battery (if you leave it on DC).

Solar can help when off-grid but from what I've seen, most people with solar still run their fridge on propane and save their solar-charged house batteries for other power needs, but it varies.

Once your fridge is cold you can usually cut power for a while without worrying too much. So for example, If we're in a quiet place off the grid I often shut off our fridge before going to sleep so we don't have the hear the propane cycling on and off, and it will still be plenty cold in the morning. Same with stops for supplies or whatever, rather than switch to propane every time we stop I'll just shut off.

Yeah, when driving I operate the refrigerator on battery. If I have shore power (AC) where I'm camping, I run on that, else propane. The refrigerator draws something like 9 ADC when running ob battery, so it can kill your house batteries pretty quickly.

@Adventurous, you also want to have the refrigerator powered on at least a day or two prior to departure; it takes a while to stabilize at operating temperature.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I run mine on Propane when not hooked up to AC. I have never bothered to switch to DC. Just remember to turn off the fridge before pulling into a gas station if you travel running off the propane. I don't worry about cooling down the fridge..it has been running 24x7 since 2010...it does help to live in California and use the camper year round

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I run mine on Propane when not hooked up to AC. I have never bothered to switch to DC. Just remember to turn off the fridge before pulling into a gas station if you travel running off the propane. I don't worry about cooling down the fridge..it has been running 24x7 since 2010...it does help to live in California and use the camper year round
Interesting. Lots of mixed opinions on running with propane when the vehicle is moving, some say it's super dangerous and others say they do it all the time with no problems. I'm sorta new to this stuff and generally play it safe. But more importantly, I can reach my fridge from the driver's seat so it's super easy for me to switch to DC when the motor's running.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
$530 later and it's registered and plated. CO really bends you over and lets the whole team have a go when it comes to this stuff.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Plumbing is all hooked up and through some miracle, fired up with no leaks or complaints last night. Still have to get the water heater going but wanted to give the pipe dope a bit of time to cure. The water heater was replaced at some point and the job they did was to the same gold standard :-)disgust:) that the rest of the work was done to.

Before:
-combination of PEX, stainless braided, and braided tubing
-36" of copper tubing feeding the water heater
- moldy vent tube
- metal tank straps screwed into rotten floor

After:
- PEX spliced into OEM plumbing, all tubing anchored to floor. water heater relocated and wiring redone
- new 3/8" copper tubing, 14" to feed water heater
- reflectix blanket & pad for water tank
- tie downs & lashing straps anchored into studs

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting. Lots of mixed opinions on running with propane when the vehicle is moving, some say it's super dangerous and others say they do it all the time with no problems. I'm sorta new to this stuff and generally play it safe. But more importantly, I can reach my fridge from the driver's seat so it's super easy for me to switch to DC when the motor's running.
Fill all empty space with containers filled with ice. A fridge doubles as a cooler rather nicely.

When I lived on the boat, I would do this and would only run the fridge when the engines were running. With a few hours cruising per day the ice would maintain proper temperatures and last for days.

For whatever reason on the way home yesterday, brake controller failed to detect trailer, and van was not providing a DC feed to the trailer. I'm not looking forward to diagnosing it.

Edit:

Plugged trailer into van today, started up the van, and of course everything worked just fine. Either I managed to screw up somehow yesterday when preparing to leave or I have an intermittent problem.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Just finished re-installing my bike rack onto the ladder in preparation for this weekend's excursion. I am the EMT at a horse show in San Juan Bautista and there is a great 11 mile 2000 ft high hill climb that goes up to Fremont Peak State Park that starts a half mile away from where I will be camped. Saturday evening ride is what I have planned

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
My fridge in 12v only and got no AC hookup. Just solar and vehicle charging. 3-way fridge are usually inneficient when ran on DC, they pull too many amps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just finished re-installing my bike rack onto the ladder in preparation for this weekend's excursion. I am the EMT at a horse show in San Juan Bautista and there is a great 11 mile 2000 ft high hill climb that goes up to Fremont Peak State Park that starts a half mile away from where I will be camped. Saturday evening ride is what I have planned

sounds like a rad ride, but have the bike installed like that makes me nervous.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After seeing a couple cool ones at the festival this weekend, the wife and I talked about redoing a "vintage" trailer. Seems we could do it for under $10k and the thing might actually INCREASE in value if done well.

Something like this with a sub $3k asking. As long as it has a toilet, the wife is on board.