Quantcast

Campers

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Got one of these in a 6x12. Insulated walls, ceiling, and floor, RV door with screen at the back, and a few other goodies. Comes as a blank slate, but that'll be a good and a bad thing I suppose.

Intent is to outfit it with a bed, cassette toilet, sink with 5 gal jugs, propane hookup and dual batteries. Should be rudimentary but nice.
Definitely interested to see how it comes together. Wife and I go back and forth on getting a teardrop or something a bit bigger. As we both work remote the idea of mobile accommodation and a 4G mifi is appealing...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My buddy has been rocking the van life for the last 2 years,It's just a retrofit Ford E series van and being a teacher has given him some lengthy breaks for big adventures. While I could see it, the wife is a little bit of a princess (have you seen the pic of our queen air matres with headboard?). Finding the balance between comfy and cramped has been interesting.

Right now the big deal breaker is the toilet in the shower on some of the smaller units. Must have separate throne room. :rofl:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My buddy has been rocking the van life for the last 2 years,It's just a retrofit Ford E series van and being a teacher has given him some lengthy breaks for big adventures. While I could see it, the wife is a little bit of a princess (have you seen the pic of our queen air matres with headboard?). Finding the balance between comfy and cramped has been interesting.

Right now the big deal breaker is the toilet in the shower on some of the smaller units. Must have separate throne room. :rofl:
A dry bath was one of my wifes requirements when we bought our camper. after 8 years of use, the lazy bastard in me really appreciates not having to wipe down and dry the bathroom after a shower so that the toilet can be used.. Shower curtain keeps the rest of the bathroom ready for use, trust me its worth it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So due to the length of my wife's post surgical recovery we haven't gone out in the TC since mid October. We have a big storm forecast and I noticed that the tree next to the tc had overgrown and the branches would be hitting the roof and sides with the forecasted winds. So up I went with a set of loppers to do some clearance. OMG the tree droppings had left the roof a total mess. So after doing the tree work out came the soap and scrub brush. It took me over an hour to get the roof almost clean.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Any of you flip your axles for more clearance?
We are going to do this next spring so that I can drag the camper into some of my favorite Moab camping sites.
The hitch stabilizer just hangs way too low...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Any of you flip your axles for more clearance?
We are going to do this next spring so that I can drag the camper into some of my favorite Moab camping sites.
The hitch stabilizer just hangs way too low...
Haven't, but was planning on doing it with the last camper before we sold it. Good and cheap way to gain extra clearance.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What do the battery setups on most of your campers look like? A couple of deep cycles on the tongue with cabling going to a fuse panel on the inside? Or batteries inside the camper with a vent to the outside?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Two deep cycles on the tongue.i store them in the basement for the winter.
Two shitty Interstate marine "deep cycle" on tongue, Battery distribution panel ahead of that (disconnect, shunt in ground leg for battery monitor, connector for solar panels), run back from there to converter/distribution panel inside.
Any sort of plug on the exterior of the trailer that connects to the battery cables? Or just a hole in the floor of the trailer that the cables run through?

I'm trying to source a more weatherproof sort of bulkhead fitting so I don't have a random hole in the trailer. Best I've seen so far would be to hard mount an exterior Anderson power pole connector with the positive and negative cables running through individual Blue Sea bulkhead fittings, but I haven't found anything similar to a 7-pin plug I could mount on the exterior of the trailer.

Additionally, my old trailer didn't have the battery cables fused until they reached the trailer power panel. I intend to fuse the leads on the new one as soon as possible to mitigate the opportunity for cables to short and burn the thing to the ground.

Any sort of plug on the exterior of the trailer that connects to the battery cables? Or just a hole in the floor of the trailer that the cables run through?

I'm trying to source a more weatherproof sort of bulkhead fitting so I don't have a random hole in the trailer. Best I've seen so far would be to hard mount an exterior Anderson power pole connector with the positive and negative cables running through individual Blue Sea bulkhead fittings, but I haven't found anything similar to a 7-pin plug I could mount on the exterior of the trailer.

Additionally, my old trailer didn't have the battery cables fused until they reached the trailer power panel. I intend to fuse the leads on the new one as soon as possible to mitigate the opportunity for cables to short and burn the thing to the ground.
No, I don't have that.

I'm considering revamping the wire runs from the battery distribution panel to the converter with the goals of
  • Minimizing run length, possibly change wire size from AWG 6 to 4.
  • Providing some sort of shielding, probably conduit, to prevent wire runs from dirt, moisture, and mechanical damage.
  • There's a 50 A breaker in the run from the panel to the converter that provides the short protection you're seeking. It's currently forward on the underside of the trailer, subject to road dust, mud, and whatnot. It'll probably move to the distribution panel, closer to the batteries.
    2017-10-18-172042--Positive-feed-through-presumed-circuit-breaker-fer-web.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
that is cool.

someone stumbled upon a unicorn in florida on instagram......4x4 toyota sunrader

20180122_092317.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20180131_201554.jpg

would make fun base for overland truck...

1960 GMC 9500...478 cubic inch V6....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So anyone else get problems with wind blowing co2 into the camper and setting off the alarm? Happens to mine when it’s windy on the fridge side. It’s super annoying. Have to turn fridge off and vent so I can go back to sleep.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So anyone else get problems with wind blowing co2 into the camper and setting off the alarm? Happens to mine when it’s windy on the fridge side. It’s super annoying. Have to turn fridge off and vent so I can go back to sleep.
Thats not CO2 that is CO Carbon Monoxide and its deadly. Check your roof vent for the fridge for obstructions and check the burner for carbon build up causing incomplete combustion . if it is clear an easy cheap solution is to install a 12v laptop fan in the vent tube to push the exhaust up and out of the roof vent

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
That’s right co. Everything is clear and working good. This only happens in high wind conditions when the side vent is on the windward side. Co sensor is right by the fridge. Seems like a draft is trying to kill us.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
That’s right co. Everything is clear and working good. This only happens in high wind conditions when the side vent is on the windward side. Co sensor is right by the fridge. Seems like a draft is trying to kill us.
could be a bad seal around the fridge. test it by putting duct tape where the fridge meets the cabinet then face the rig in the direction of the wind where you have had the issue ( or use a high volume fan blowing directly at the side of the fridge from the outside). If the detector doesn't go off then you need to seal that gap with a new gasket or fill it with non self leveling dicor

could be a bad seal around the fridge. test it by putting duct tape where the fridge meets the cabinet then face the rig in the direction of the wind where you have had the issue ( or use a high volume fan blowing directly at the side of the fridge from the outside). If the detector doesn't go off then you need to seal that gap with a new gasket or fill it with non self leveling dicor
My gasket is completely incompetent - have to pull the refrigerator and figure out how to gasket it properly once things warm up some. Not looking forward to it.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
This is good advice, but ill use blue masking tape to reduce mess. Doesnt sound like a fun fix though, and my camper is only four years old.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend has lived in his camper all winter. Solar panels and a rocket stove in a Army tent supplement his camper. His water source proved unreliable but he can cook water as we have had plenty of snow. I would like to divest a little more and try this.