Quantcast

can hardtails downhill

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Im confused, perhaps Zedro can fix me up here.

My full sus bike has a lock out on the rear what happens if i use the lock out feature whilst riding in B.C. ?
will I be prosecuted? how can they tell if i used my lock out feature.

Aug 21, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Mattoid
im so confused... this has to be a joke. How do they sell hardtials if they cant be ridden anywhere??
It's not that they can't be ridden anywhere. As stated earlier, you have to have more than 150mm of travel front and rear to decend grades steeper than 30 degrees.

My first trip to Whistler last year with Mike was a real eye opener. They are really strict about that law. I got stopped constantly so that they could measure the rear travel on my stinky.

This does not mean you can't go to Whistler and have a good time on your hardtail. They have some excellent trails like Fantastic and B-Line, and I hear that the family trails around some of the lakes up there can get freaking gnarly.

Aug 21, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Shortbus
Don't they have like radar/laser guns that can measure your bike's travel from a distance?
No, they make you stop so that they can measure it with their official "Travel Stick"
If they had laser, they would have to keep it constantly calibrated.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
You're all bastards. Every single one of you. All the guys in my computer lab at school are now wondering why I'm rolling on the floor, laughing like a hyena.

But yes, it's true, I was forced to buy my hardtail from a guy in a dark alley. Of course it cost twice what it does for you guys........friggin black market.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
that law is the dumbest ****ing thing i have ever heard. thats why i hate canada. eveyone is too god damn safe. dont get me wrong pro safty but i do it because i want to. i pay high taxes to pay for peole how die of smoking or car accidents or twisted ankles playing soccer or people who need treatment for tennis elbow or or the fat lady who brakes a chair and snapes her tail bone, i don't care, becuase every one pay for it why not just lock us all up in padded cells and pay taxes F U C K.
IMHO when i ride steep shoots i want my HT they sit lower they don't jack and you can lean further back, and becuase of the lower stand over you can dab should you need to.

of cource money will be spent inforcing the law and thus cancel it self out. and i'm sure that study was bias they looked for a problem. similarly to what happed with MDMA they said it was horable stuff when they did the lab test on rats but they ****ed up, because they where giveing them something else (meth anphedimine i think)

i'm pretty pissed.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by HTFR
of cource money will be spent inforcing the law and thus cancel it self out. and i'm sure that study was bias they looked for a problem. similarly to what happed with MDMA they said it was horable stuff when they did the lab test on rats but they ****ed up, because they where giveing them something else (meth anphedimine i think)

i'm pretty pissed.
but ironically, crystal meth is still OK...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by HTFR
that law is the dumbest ****ing thing i have ever heard. thats why i hate canada. eveyone is too god damn safe. dont get me wrong pro safty but i do it because i want to. i pay high taxes to pay for peole how die of smoking or car accidents or twisted ankles playing soccer or people who need treatment for tennis elbow or or the fat lady who brakes a chair and snapes her tail bone, i don't care, becuase every one pay for it why not just lock us all up in padded cells and pay taxes F U C K.
IMHO when i ride steep shoots i want my HT they sit lower they don't jack and you can lean further back, and becuase of the lower stand over you can dab should you need to.
you should write your congressman in "quebek" to voice your dissatisfaction about this new law. here's the list of parliamentarians (or whatever the correct term is): http://tinyurl.com/2gkwu

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by klunky
but can i use my lock-out?
are you sure your bike has enough travel, even sans lock out? the rule states that 150mm is required... :eek:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
are you sure your bike has enough travel, even sans lock out? the rule states that 150mm is required...

yeah its an old skool vanilla RL coil over with lock out. sometimes i like to lock it out so i can really "feel" the trail

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by kidwoo
More than just OK. It's great, It's great, It's great, It's great, It's great, It's great, It's great

ooh is that a piece of lint on my keyboard?
best post ever!!!

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by klunky
yeah its an old skool vanilla RL coil over with lock out. sometimes i like to lock it out so i can really "feel" the trail
Do you think you could retrofit a handlebar mounted lockout to it, that way you can flip it back to full travel on the fly (or should that be sly) if you are approached. We will try and rig something up tomorrow night :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Acadian
:rolleyes: Have you even been to another provice? Country?
his post is still funny though...even if it's ignorant.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by Acadian
:rolleyes: Have you even been to another provice? Country?
out side?

:D

blah blah yes i know it was an over exaggerated rant. i know.
but _jm IGNOGANT IT IS NOT! :D

i just think the law is kinda dumb is all.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
..anyway, like I was saying....since Lopes & steve peat bought that condo up there last year, they have citizen's rights in the Whistler town council meetings. They've constructed a petition with several of the other pros who have citizenship rights in the Whistler township. If they can get enough signatures, it gives them the ability to request a repeal.

But the only problem is that in the event of a repeal, town council must have a unanimous vote, not ust majority vote.

I'll keep you hardtailer's informed as I get more info on it.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by bizutch
..anyway, like I was saying....since Lopes & steve peat bought that condo up there last year, they have citizen's rights in the Whistler town council meetings. They've constructed a petition with several of the other pros who have citizenship rights in the Whistler township. If they can get enough signatures, it gives them the ability to request a repeal.

you do realize that as foreigners they can also be 'voted' off the mountain. They only have land ownership rights, not canadian citizenship rights, so their ownership can also be revoked and the property seized if deemed a political threat. This is a law principal that dates back to the cold war in order to limit idealogical interference and safeguard the local democratic process.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The real problem with this law, is the "grey area."
For instance, take the bike pictured below.
It is in fact a suspension frame, but ridden offroad, it has been
known as the human catapult. It is much more dangerous than a regular hardtail. That is unless you enjoy your trip through the air
when the beam rebounds and shoots you over the bars like a cannonball. We need to get organized so we can fight this terribly unfair law.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by zedro
you do realize that as foreigners they can also be 'voted' off the mountain. They only have land ownership rights, not canadian citizenship rights, so their ownership can also be revoked and the property seized if deemed a political threat. This is a law principal that dates back to the cold war in order to limit idealogical interference and safeguard the local democratic process.
I KNEW the Communists were at the heart of this. I KNEW IT.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Originally posted by edo-chan
I went up there at the end of last summer with a rigid fork on my Bullit, got caught, and ended up spending over a month in jail.
maaan, thats just not worth it no matter how fun you had before you got caught. my 2nd cousin jim (from camloops) did 3 months for drunk driving and came out as a mental wreck. but he deserved it for putting other lives in danger, and thats exactly what you do if you ride a ht. you rase the risk of getting your selve and others injured.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by rockwool
maaan, thats just not worth it no matter how fun you had before you got caught.
ummm... i think he was jokeing just like i was. well not just like in the scence that our joke was the same but the we we both joking.

p.s.
i request a title change to IGNOGANT thanks

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Does Evil make a hardtail for DH? Do they make them in taiwan? How about e13 do they make a hardtail for DH?
I heard from a reliable source that there are plans for an e13 DH hardtail for the future. Since the frame is actually produced in Canada it will be grandfathered in for 6 months. The law only affects non Canadian made hardtails so all of those Konas, Norcos, and Banshees won't be on the mtn this year.

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Does Evil make a hardtail for DH? Do they make them in taiwan? How about e13 do they make a hardtail for DH?
hahahha

Actually, Evil does make a hardtail, and it is made in Canada of all places! This little tidbit may be the only reason why the Imperial could become the only hardtail frame legal for riding at Canadian resorts! Yet another reason to build bikes in Canada! :)

LOL

this thread is nuts.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by ska todd
I heard from a reliable source that there are plans for an e13 DH hardtail for the future. Since the frame is actually produced in Canada it will be grandfathered in for 6 months. The law only affects non Canadian made hardtails so all of those Konas, Norcos, and Banshees won't be on the mtn this year.

-ska todd
SHHHHHHHHHH

THERE IS NO RM7 FOR FREERIDING

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by zedro
Didn't Cedric buy a condo up there too recently, now he's French so talk about a gray area....