Quantcast

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
ugh, now they are saying beginning of March for our orders. dangit.
they are still catching up on OEM and distributor orders
The bike industry pushing back delivery dates that shouldn't have been advertised to customers in the first place?!?!

How shocking :)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
What's it going on?

My new DH bike is coming and I'm yet to decide on whether to take a gamble on the DBair or stick with the safe bet of DBcoil

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Nice, please give us some initial reviews, particularly on how the small bump sensitivity is.
I'm assuming your M9 had the CCDBcoil on to use as a direct comparison?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nice, please give us some initial reviews, particularly on how the small bump sensitivity is.
I'm assuming your M9 had the CCDBcoil on to use as a direct comparison?
yeah, i had the DB coil on there. im gonna try and go off the settings i used for the coil but im sure there will be some changes. hoping it doesnt rain much sunday

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Nice -here's hoping the rain stays way.
Really want to know whether they were able to ge to Nirvana, where air shocks are indistinguishable from coil.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ih8rice - does the air version use normal fox standard reducers/DU bushings?
i think they are the norm..they look like the coil's hardware.

it looks like no riding for me this weekend thanks to Intense's awesome (see sh!tty) machining work on the box link.
thanks intense

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Somehow I still don't trust air dh shocks. The hype wsa big with the vidid here in germany, everyone had one now everyone switches back...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, pretty much so.
i never got to check the new link with a shock in it since i sold my DB coil right after i got the new link. the flip chip cavity is oversized and they move around a ton even when the bolt is snug. i tried 6 different chips and they are all the same.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
yeah, pretty much so.
i never got to check the new link with a shock in it since i sold my DB coil right after i got the new link. the flip chip cavity is oversized and they move around a ton even when the bolt is snug. i tried 6 different chips and they are all the same.
I wonder if they redesigned the chips too because of the noise they made?

...and then forgot to send you the updated versions with the new link? That's my bet. :rolleyes:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What's it going on?

My new DH bike is coming and I'm yet to decide on whether to take a gamble on the DBair or stick with the safe bet of DBcoil
I think you should play it based on the leverage curve of the DH bike you are getting. The Coil DB is very linear and will work well in frame with a reasonable amount of mechanical progression.

But in a regressive or fairly linear frame, you'll appreciate the natural ramp-up on the air shock.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
My updated box link for my M9 works perfect. Granted I never had an issue with my old box link/chip either.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I never had creaking issues with my old box link/chip combo. The chips weren't very tight on the old setup but it worked. FWIW on my new box link/chip setup the chips are VERY TIGHT. The easiest way to mount them in the box link is the use the new shock bolt intense provides and tighten it down. This essentially presses the chips into the box link. The new bolt intense provides is 5mm longer than the old one. Now when I remove my shock the chips remain installed in the box link.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I think you should play it based on the leverage curve of the DH bike you are getting. The Coil DB is very linear and will work well in frame with a reasonable amount of mechanical progression.

But in a regressive or fairly linear frame, you'll appreciate the natural ramp-up on the air shock.
I'm on a Morewood Makulu. Been riding them since release, though always used BOS stoy shocks.
The bike has been made ever so slightly more progressive in this later incarnation, though not a lot.

For what it's worth, I went and ordered the coil anyway, I'll be getting the DBAir on my trail bike in stead (went for the "safe option" to my mind)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That would make the DBair 180g lighter than coil+Ti.
the DB Air damper itself is about 100grams heavier then the coil i replaced (both measured with hardware.) my 450# DSP Ti spring was 437, so im saving 338 grams. i was hoping the air would be lighter then it is, but when you hold it, its massive. the air chamber seems huge too since it took forever to pump it to 175psi

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I love how devoid that bike is of any colour, but also that one step further in removing all the Intense branding stickers :D

Similar to how I'm planing my next bike, but reckon you win though.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I love how devoid that bike is of any colour, but also that one step further in removing all the Intense branding stickers :D

Similar to how I'm planing my next bike, but reckon you win though.
thanks. the downtube has the Intense stickers still on it still, as well as the two Phoenix's (?) on the seatstay.
im not a fan of stickers and the 888's stickers will be coming off soon

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
GAH,I'm shocked and appalled at your priorities

(don't worry, I don't own my testicles either)

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
20 oz less than my elka stage 5 with a steel spring. cheapest way i know to drop that much weight besides dieting

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
amazing day riding today! weather was awesome and i was able to get about 8 hours of shuttling in on the shock. i cant believe how much it feels just like my coil DB. the small bump sensitivity, after some break in, was fantastic. i started off with my settings from my coil but opened the LSR and LSC up 1-2clicks. i was only getting 2 5/8" of stroke out of it so im going to play with the frame's progressiveness setting and open up HSC up a bit...but there was nothing too big to really cause near bottoming hits.
the local mountain we rode at has a TON of small baby head rocks and smashing through the rock gardens didnt phase the shock. the runs are short, so i couldnt tell if there was any fade to it, so ill have to wait a few more months for the lifts to start spinning to really check that. hoping to get it more broken in this week thanks to daylight savings time :thumb:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Damnit - almost hoped you came back with "nah doesn't feel as good as a coil shock"

I'm currently waiting on a CCDB coil to be built for me, though this whole air shock business now has me intrigued.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
amazing day riding today! weather was awesome and i was able to get about 8 hours of shuttling in on the shock. i cant believe how much it feels just like my coil DB. the small bump sensitivity, after some break in, was fantastic. i started off with my settings from my coil but opened the LSR and LSC up 1-2clicks. i was only getting 2 5/8" of stroke out of it so im going to play with the frame's progressiveness setting and open up HSC up a bit...but there was nothing too big to really cause near bottoming hits.
the local mountain we rode at has a TON of small baby head rocks and smashing through the rock gardens didnt phase the shock. the runs are short, so i couldnt tell if there was any fade to it, so ill have to wait a few more months for the lifts to start spinning to really check that. hoping to get it more broken in this week thanks to daylight savings time :thumb:
I have shock envy...

How are you running it, little or lots of damping, or someplace in between?

Does it feel more linear in the mid stroke than the coil?