Quantcast

Churn and Burn: due to technical difficulties....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Quick recap:

Ed and Charlene (smutty and BullitGrrl) won the two man category. Splat and I finished second, one lap back. MBC kicked butt in her first 24 hour race, turning in 7 laps and smiling the entire time. Rain Friday and Saturday made for a real slick course, but the mud wasn't that bad.

I met my goal of 12 laps, but splat carried our team, turning in 16. Ed turned in the same number as splat. I am so tired. :dead: As MBC said, thanks to Quo Fan and the rest of the pit crew!!

More later...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Quick recap:

Ed and Charlene (smutty and BullitGrrl) won the two man category. Splat and I finished second, one lap back. MBC kicked butt in her first 24 hour race, turning in 7 laps and smiling the entire time. Rain Friday and Saturday made for a real slick course, but the mud wasn't that bad.

I met my goal of 12 laps, but splat carried our team, turning in 16. Ed turned in the same number as splat. I am so tired. :dead: As MBC said, thanks to Quo Fan and the rest of the pit crew!!

More later...
:clapping: YEAH!!!! I can't wait to see all the pics! My friend Jen was there racing solo as well so hopefully you all cheered her on too :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wooohhoooo! What sorts of swag/prizes did you Monkeys come home with???
Ed and Charlene got a plaque for winning, some Hammer Nutrition products, plus swag bags from Pig Iron. As MBC said, only the winners got prizes. Splat and I were disappointed we didn't get any prizes for our 2nd place finish. Last year the top three in each category got prizes.

But, it's still a 2nd place finish, swag or no swag. The Genesis folks still take great care of everyone during the race and I'll take that over prizes.

splat

Nam I am
Yeah

Wow what a race! soooooooo tired , slept 6 hrs when I got home, it was very very hard. course was so fast this year. the first place 4 person team laid down 47 laps!!!

and Tree saw ! there were 19 Solo riders!

yeah 2nd didn't get any thing :(

The could have at least give us T-Shirts that Said " I rode All night earned 2nd place andAll I got was this lousey T-shirt "
:)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Kieth didn't either and look how much scwag he got! and I think Kieth was trying to sabotage us ! Workingthere in the Timing both , and giving me the wrong batton , and forgetting to write down one of your laps.
:rofl:

Yeah, I hand in the baton and Steve says they missed my last lap time. I said "It was 47 minutes." So Steve says "OK, thanks. Well we can put down anything." So I said, "OK, it was 32." :D

splat

Nam I am
Well , I was only able to take one or 2 shots , andThe dutieswere left up to my wife, she needs ome practice with this Sports motion thing. but anyway here are a few shots .

FIrst I was the one doing the lemans start. and it was raining , had been raining some of the night and most of the morning. so I was dumb and decided to wear my rain gear! yes that is me in the yellow Pants ! actually they worked well at keeping the mud off, it was the jacket that had me cooking by the end of the lap.

now as I said My wife takes a Better photo of still action

the team Bums Mascot

hey thats Me on lap 1 , feeling good!!!

Me coming around a corner , still feeling good!

Rachel

Rachel again

Mt Biker Chick

the baboon

and I took these 2 SHots of Mt Biker Chk on her last lap just before the finish,

and this creek , was dry before fridays Rain , and Mtbikrchk crossing it .

and Me just before the end , ( having to wait for my wife to take the shot )

and that is all the photos I have.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Since I was shooting in RAW, I had to get home to process the photos. Out of the 206 photos I took, here are 19 that I deemed good enough to post. These are only of Monkeys, but I took lots of other riders.

Team Splat and Baboon at the pre-race meeting

Team Skiers In Blue Jeans

Team Gravity Riders

Smutty and Splat in the Lemans start

Rachel on the last turn at the beginning just before entering the woods

Splat at the beginning of his second lap

MBC JRA

Huck it, MBC, huck it!

(She didn't)

Bullitgrrl JRA

Never, ever fall asleep around someone with a camera.

Cool fire pic

Cool shot of IAB through the stream

IAB on his last lap

"I got nothing left in me. I'm so tired."

Final stream crossing

After I took this pic, I ran (not fast) to catch him and walked beside him to encourage him. He cursed me and my fresh legs.

The winning duo

Good time for all. I had a blast, mostly because I wasn't riding. We calculated the correct amount of wood to bring, because we had 1 piece that we didn't burn.

Here is Skiers in Blue Jeans posing for a team photo for their sponsor.

Here they are with their sponsor.

That is all for now.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I didn't take that many pics, either. I had planned on taking a ton, but you just don't have time when doing a two man team. I snapped some before I went out for my first set of laps but that's about it.

Splat prepares for the start in the rain:

Rachel all ready to go.

Splat and Ed at the start.

Our friend Art joined the solo category and landed a 5th place finish out of 20. Not bad for his 2nd solo 24 race ever. He was also on a rigid singlespeed. :dead:

"Go faster, Splat!"

Ed on lap one.

What's a ride without the Baboon Salute? (splat followed by Art)

Sine the laps were short at 5 miles and about 40-45 minutes, we were doing two at a time. Splat did a couple of triples, but I didn't have it in me. Here's splat stripping a layer between laps 1 and 2. Solid lap time at 36 minutes! I whipped his ass with a 34 though. :D (of course, he did four more laps than me)

Rachel hitting the final stream crossing.

Splat not far behind.

I only got one pic of MBChickie. We were on the course at the same time a lot of the time, although we never met up on the course.

Splat finishes a lap.

That's all I got for pics. Final time splits should be posted today.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
The last question at the end of the pre-race meeting was "Will there be free beer?" The response was "No, Harpoon is not here this year."

Many boos ensued.

MBC, Do you want pics of the other racers too, or just the monkeys? BTW, not all of the pics will be processed. To get the 1 of Rachel, I shot 9. TO get the 1 of Splat beginning his 2nd lap, I shot 7. Photographers throw away most of what they shoot.

splat

Nam I am
Nice work folks. Congrats on the fantastic results. Looked cold.
Looks can be deciving , but not in this case. it was COLD !!!! at 2am just before I went out , it was 40 Degrees, and I'd be willing to bet it got colder! that was another mistake I made. I didn't bring enough Long sleeve jerseys on one of my laps I wore a heavy duty polortec sweat shirt that did not breath at all , but it was warm. I was might glad I brought my winter riding boots! at the trasition zone , they had those silver "space" Blankets , every one wrapped them selvs in them while waiting for there rider to come in.

splat

Nam I am
The Genesis folks still take great care of everyone during the race and I'll take that over prizes.
Those guys Kicked Ass!! As I went through on my late double ( which was suppose to be a tripple ) I asked for some snickers bars , and they handed me 2.

but over all I think we came home with 25+ snickers Bars 10 kit kats , 25+ PAcks of Grandma's cookies ( which I am Eating one right now ) lots of Fig newtons , and a Donzen Hammer Gels.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good stuff monkeys. I wonder what happened with Harpoon? Maybe because of the collegiate race they refrained from sponsoring again - but then again didn't they break out the free beer after the college kids were done with their race last year?

splat

Nam I am
Good stuff monkeys. I wonder what happened with Harpoon? Maybe because of the collegiate race they refrained from sponsoring again - but then again didn't they break out the free beer after the college kids were done with their race last year?
Harpoon has cut way back on the Bike sponsering stuff. the Harpoon Mtb adventure series is the Kona MTB adventure series this year.

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
I posted this on Bikerag, but I'm x-posting!

my highlights... at least what I can remember.

1. Our game plan is to start with 2 loops each. Smitty put's in a fast first loop... he comes in either 2nd or 3rd. He's ahead of Splat. So my pressure is on... must stay ahead of IAB. I have to admit throughout the whole race I expected him to pass me. I did see him once and thought he's catching up!!!!

2. I got passed by alot but I was happy that I was able to pass some (boys and girls!).

3. No flats

4. Poor Smitty... on one of his night laps his battery drains. He's only halfway through the loop! Uses the petzl head lamp to finish. YIKES! Good thing they made us carry some type of backup, it was really dark!

5. I saw an owl

6. Pretty much stopped eating "good" food early on. Chocolate milk is da-bomb!

7. Smitty starts quad cramping.. must start the cytomax, h2o is not enough. We drank alot of cytomax, I now don't like the taste of cytomax!

8. 10:00P I head to the tent for a snooze. Smitty wakes me after his 2 laps. I don't move. I want to stay sleeping.. oh why did we ditch Plan A! He offers to go out for third... I was sooo happy. He wakes me after he does 2 more!!!!!

9. The night loops were really difficult. The course was brutal. The rocks seemed to have grown in size and there were so many more of them. I did alot of walking and granny 1-2 pedaling. The swooping downhills were still fun.

10. I was really happy for my daybreak loop, I could see the trail! The rocks shrunk and I could actually pedal up the hills again.

11. Pretty much till the night laps we were tied with IAB/Splat for 2nd. Looks like Team Dumb went to nappynappyland in the PM. And Smitty's 4 lap jaunt put us in the lead.

12. So I ended my race like I started... Must stay ahead of IAB!!!!

Congrats to all of the teams!!!

BTW, we could not have asked for a better pit crew. THanks too:

Quo Fan
Maggie
Peter
Jessica
Paula

for all your support!
Thanks Quo Fan for a taste of the family secret recipe beef tips... yum!!!!

My friend Jen was there racing solo as well so hopefully you all cheered her on too :D
I saw Jen quite a few times out on the course (we chit-chatted a bunch of times)! We seemed to be in sync with our laps. She did 18 laps... on a hardtail with no sleep. Yikes!

Everyone go a teeshirt, hammergel, EMS discount certificate. we won a couple more tee shirts, tools, big container of hammergel, endrolytes, a bunch of other hammer stuff, $20 (each) gift certificate to Pig Iron, sports detergent and some type of chamois butter stuff (I could have used that before the race!). I think that's it!

Great pics! Love the ones of IAB sleep and the one of Rachel (by Quo) is really cool.

splat

Nam I am
I have my Own List of Musings

1) our game plan was to start doing 1 lap then switch , that changed when it was raining at the start. I had full rain gear. IAB did not , so I proposed I'd do a double, because it was suppose to clear . OK wearing full rain gear in a Light rain in a race is a BAD idea!! I was sweating my Balls off!

2) I saw Ed not too far in front of me for the first half of the first lap, then relized I was pushing too hard so I let up a bit , thinking this was a Marathon not a Sprint , still I found my Self catching and Passing people and staying with those that passed.

3) Remeber to add water to camel back. I was only filling my camel back half full, no need to carry too much water. well I didn't add water during my break between laps 2 and 3 , so as I ended lap 3 I ran out of water, As I went through the trasityion area I yelled to IAB I needed water, he met me with a bottle as I came out of the woods -- Thanks IAB I would have been ion bad shape if not for that.

4) EAT EAT EAT !! II was eating huge ammounts of real Food, Mac & Cheeze , Pasta & Meatball, PB&J , early on, but converted to Gels , bars, Snickers & cookies during the night.

5) Doing a tripple when IAB was hurting , was tough but good!

6) Kieth telling me to stop drinking water , and Drink, Gatorade, Powerade, Cliff shot or whatever else that had Electrolytes was a great move.

7) After my First set of Night laps , I switched over to My AC1 a Lot heavier , but Lots of Travel , and Big 2.6 tires, made the root hell Easy, the Down hills were Mega Bombs , and it ate up the rock gardens like they were nothing, so I had to push it up the hills, big deal.

8) I really enjoyed telling the Nerac guy who wanted to pass me at night just before that Technical Downill , NO, beacause I ha the bike for it , he was on a hardtail with V's he grumbled , but later when He caught ( and Passed ) me after the down hill , he told me I was right not to let him pass. I could hear he V's squealing like a Stuck Pig as I went down it hell bent.

9) asking for and Having Steve from Genesis hand Me a Snickers bar as I went through the transition was awesome .

10) Tellining IAB to go get some sleep and I would do another triple maybe a Quad, and then Bonking harribly halfway through the 2nd lap , was not good , I went back to camp and crawled into bed for 2 hours. then getting up and just as I went out for another lap yelling at IAB to get up and I would be back in 40 minutes and to be ready.

11) Having neither IAB or me on the course for thos 2 hours cost us. but niether one of us could keep our eyes open.

12) That was one of the best tasting breakfasts I ever ate!!! Pancakes , French Toast and sausages !!

13) Every time at night before I headed over to the Trantion area I'd Check to see if whoose Bikes were next to Ed and Charlenes tent , and every time hoping to see 2 I'd only see one!

14) No Flats this year! One soft tire for one lap ( my Bad )

15) no Real Mechanical Issues, Just shifting got a Little skippy once , and Qou_fan fixed that up right quick .

16) Only Crashed Once , and a real Come close to crashing , on My Bonk Lap.

17) How the hell did I run straight into that snow fence at a 90 degree angle ? OK so that Woke me up

17) dam it was Fun to be competing with Ed and Charlene !

18) I love doing the 24 Hr races , But I think I'll stick with the 4 person teams.

19) was really fun to ride with MtBikerChick for part of one of my laps.

20) those NERAC guys were ****ing fast ! One Passed me of the first part of the first lap of a double , then passed me again on the 2nd lap.

21) those college Kids were Fast! the winner did 16 laps in 8 hrs !

22) and One could not ask for a better team mate then a Baboon! He put everything he had on that Course!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Love the write-ups, Charlene and Splat! :cheers: Here's my copycat list:

- The race was a lot of fun with the wife participating in it, and I am so proud of how well she did. :)

- If you have any doubts about whether or not you've packed enough cold weather riding clothes, pack more. I ran out of cold weather jerseys so I wore a windcoat over a raincoat on my final two laps. I sweated like hell, but at least I was warm.

- Big wet roots that cross a trail diagonally SUCK...especially at night.

- Don't underestimate the value of clean dry socks, extra bike shoes, and a team mechanic.

- Thank you Psycle-On for pointing us to Hammer Nutrition. This was the first 24 hour race I've done where I didn't have intestinal issues and it was AWESOME to not feel sick the whole time. I craved food during this race like never before.

- I missed the other monkey competitors we usually race with once a year. It was nice to see MMcG stop by though to cheer us on.

- I felt guilty lying down napping while Splat was busting his ass putting in extra laps. After my third and fourth night laps, I could barely steer the bike and needed to get some sleep. For the first time, I actually got sleep at one of these races...three solid hours (with some napping thrown in).

- I put every last ounce of energy I had into this race. I don't think I could have ridden one more mile. I was sore everywhere and could barely keep the cranks moving. In retrospect, it's a good feeling to know you gave it everything you had.

- Free Snickers at 2:00 AM ruled.

- This was my fourth 24 hour race and I have yet to experience a mechanical...not even a flat. My number is coming up fast.

- My NiteRider MiNewt is an awesome little light. My helmet light died near the end of a lap, so I ran a lap with just the MiNewt bar light and it got me through just fine. I did fall off that bridge at the mud bog though. D'oh! I think I need a Danolite.

- I passed a lot more than I was passed, much to my surprise. I'm still not a real strong climber, but I passed a lot of riders on technical rocky and rooty sections.

- The two man race was a fun challenge and was the hardest thing I've done. I think the four man races were more fun though...more time to hang out, more time to take pics, more time to enjoy the atmosphere.

- Splat couldn't have been a better teammate. Whenever I was too tired to ride, he said he'd go. Splat's ability to just keep pedaling and pedaling does not cease to amaze me.