Quantcast

CO monkey's - Does anybody have a bike shipping case?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need one to ship the tri bike for August and I'm trying to avoid having to buy one. I provide beer (or cash) for compensation.

Thanks!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm in CO, but do not have one. I would just get a box from a bike shop... it'll be just as sturdy to ship your bike and weigh less.

EDIT: If you're dead set on an actual bike shipping case, Nick and I have a friend who has one. Either he or I can check with him to see if he's using it and would borrow it to ya.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm in CO, but do not have one. I would just get a box from a bike shop... it'll be just as sturdy to ship your bike and weigh less.

EDIT: If you're dead set on an actual bike shipping case, Nick and I have a friend who has one. Either he or I can check with him to see if he's using it and would borrow it to ya.
I'm in CO, don't have one, and am not the friend being referred to in this post.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

It's the tri bike and it's going on a plane. I want a real case.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i have one but i'm not in CO
If I can't find one here, I might hit you up to ship it to me. A new case isn't cheap and I can't justify buying one. I'm already going to hear about it for having to buy a wetsuit, as nobody rents wookie size (xxl).

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
If I can't find one here, I might hit you up to ship it to me. A new case isn't cheap and I can't justify buying one. I'm already going to hear about it for having to buy a wetsuit, as nobody rents wookie size (xxl).
get a cardboard one from your LBS, one they receive the bikes in. When you got to box your bike up use lots of pipe insulation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
by the time you pay for shipping from/to me, you'd be a good portion of the way to funding your own case.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's the tri bike and it's going on a plane. I want a real case.
Its possible to do it tons of bikes are shipped successfully every day. Bubble wrap and reinforce the box with lots of tape. If taken xc bikes, road bikes and dh bikes with no problem to Whistler and to Europe. The lighter the bike the easier as its normally the weight of the bike is the biggest problem. If have also stuck clothes in the box as both protection and storage. Or ship it with Fedex and get it insured.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I don't live there. I don't have one. but I could afford to buy one and a plane ticket. i'm not doing that.

don't get one from jK. he will fill it with cookies and glitter.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There's got to a shop that rents them in Denver.
Call around to high end / tri shops.

I have one, lived in CO, have most of my family living in CO (which is why I rarely visit co), was under investigation by the CO state police but no longer live in co.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
buy a case for christs sake.

if the wife is going to let you buy expensive toys tell her to nut the fvck up and let you buy a case.

just saying.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Shipping the bike vs taking it on the plane is a huge gamble. If you think the bike is ANY more safe, it isn't. AND you always run the risk of the bike not showing up on time or at all, ending your race weekend.

I've flown with a bike many times using everything from the hard shell Trico case to a cardboard bike box. Never had any damage and never lost anything.

If the budget loosens up, look at these.
http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

I know three people who fly regularly with their bikes and use this bag. They're SUPER nice and well engineered to carry all your stuff and protect your bike.

Personally I'd use a double wall bike box, pack well, and take it on the plane with me.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
Have you looked into tri bike transport? They go from denver boulder to most of the big races? Pretty cool idea and was affordable when I used them a few years back and no problems and the bike was driven down in a box truck with a bay for each bike at about the cost of FedEx and no stress dealing with bike shape when it arrived. There are a couple of these types of companies that offer this service to and from triathlons in colorado or there where a couple of years ago.
Not 100 sure which event you are doing web page here
http://www.tribiketransport.com/stops.events

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
random thought....sh!t you should figure out before you enter a tri race in another state....can i afford to get the bike there...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shipping the bike vs taking it on the plane is a huge gamble. If you think the bike is ANY more safe, it isn't. AND you always run the risk of the bike not showing up on time or at all, ending your race weekend.

I've flown with a bike many times using everything from the hard shell Trico case to a cardboard bike box. Never had any damage and never lost anything.

If the budget loosens up, look at these.
http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

I know three people who fly regularly with their bikes and use this bag. They're SUPER nice and well engineered to carry all your stuff and protect your bike.

Personally I'd use a double wall bike box, pack well, and take it on the plane with me.
the only way to ensure it gets there is to ride it yourself.