Quantcast

Concert-goers exit after anti-Bush display at Pearl Jam Show...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Concert-goers jam exits after anti-Bush display
By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News
April 3, 2003

Incensed fans walked out of Pearl Jam's concert Tuesday after lead singer Eddie Vedder impaled a mask of President Bush on a microphone stand, then slammed it to the stage.

Most of Vedder's antiwar remarks earlier in the Pepsi Center show were greeted with mixed cheers and scattered boos. But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask, which he wore for the song Bushleaguer, a Bush- taunting song from the band's latest album, Riot Act.

"When he was sharing his political views in a fairly benign manner - supporting our troops, opposing policy - that's OK," said Keith Zimmerman, of Denver.

"When he takes what looks like the head of George Bush on a stick, then throws it to the stage and stomps on it, that's just unacceptable. I love Pearl Jam, but that was just way over the edge. We literally got up and left."

(MORE)

N8 Note: Pearl Jam added to my list of people I will never spend a dime on listening to/seeing.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Also from Mark Brown's piece:

Later in the show, he added to that.
"Just to clarify . . . we support the troops," Vedder said to cheers. "Our problem is certainly not with anybody over there doing something that not too many of us would do right now, not for these reasons.
"So to the families and those people who know those folks and are related to those folks and are married to those folks, we send our support. We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes nonsupport. We love them, we support them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy. . . . Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Another reason why Eddie Vedder can kiss my ass. I hate Pearl Jam. Just because you are a "musician" doesent mean that people pay to see your political views acted out on stage.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How is this any different from me turning the tv off when our preacher in chief is on the screen telling me we gotta git on our horses and chase down the pagans?

So a few people left...not much of a story here. Dozens of angry fans left? How many stayed?

I also noticed the liberal bias in media coming through in the linked story again. The headline reads "Concert-goers jam exits after anti-Bush display" but in the body of the article it says that "But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask"

If dozens of fans cam jam the exits at the Pepsi center, I don't think I'm going to see an Avs game there anytime soon. It must take them 12 hours to empty the place out.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Silver
How is this any different from me turning the tv off when our preacher in chief is on the screen telling me we gotta git on our horses and chase down the pagans?

So a few people left...not much of a story here. Dozens of angry fans left? How many stayed?

I also noticed the liberal bias in media coming through in the linked story again. The headline reads "Concert-goers jam exits after anti-Bush display" but in the body of the article it says that "But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask"

If dozens of fans cam jam the exits at the Pepsi center, I don't think I'm going to see an Avs game there anytime soon. It must take them 12 hours to empty the place out.
So how does this story support a liberal biased media? Shouldn't it have read "Dozens of giddy fans try to gain access to Pearl Jam concert to witness war protest"?

Fans leaving the protest display would seem to be more of a right wing media bias...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Jeremy spoke in class today. He said, "Hey Eddie, are you just pissed because your music has sucked since 1995?"
LOL:D :D . I think Jeremy also said Kurt was always better than you.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by valve bouncer
LOL:D :D . I think Jeremy also said Kurt was always better than you.
I think Glen Danzig should have rappeled in from the ceiling and impaled Eddie on the microphone, then killed the drummer and started breathing fire on the audience.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Bushleaguer

How does he do it? How do they do it? Uncanny and immutable.
This is such a happening tailpipe of a party.
Like sugar, the guests are so refined.
A confidence man but why so beleagued?
He's not a leader he's a Texas leaguer.
Swinging for the fence. Got lucky with a strike.
Drilling for fear makes the job simple.
Born on third. Thinks he got a triple.
Blackout weaves its way through the cities.
Blackout weaves its way.
I remember when you sang that song about today.
Now it's tomorrow and everything has changed.
A think tank of aloof multiplication.
A nicotine wish and a columbus decanter.
Retrenchment and hoggishness.
The aristocrat choir sings, "What's the ruckus?"
The haves have not a clue.
The immenseness of suffering.
And the odd negotiation. A rarity.
With onionskin plausibility of life.
And a keyboard reaffirmation.
Blackout weaves its way.
I remember when you sang that song about today.
Now it's tomorrow and everything has changed

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by patconnole
Bushleaguer

How does he do it? How do they do it? Uncanny and immutable.
This is such a happening tailpipe of a party.
Like sugar, the guests are so refined.
A confidence man but why so beleagued?
He's not a leader he's a Texas leaguer.
Swinging for the fence. Got lucky with a strike.
Drilling for fear makes the job simple.

..yadda...yadda...yadda...

Now it's tomorrow and everything has changed

Well there ya go!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by N8
You go boy! Don't forget your Chixie Dicks either!!!

:p
lol :D

This is so bogus. Hate the man, fine, but while he's in office, respect him for the position he holds. Heck, I don't like the guy and I dont' think much of him as the PotUS, but this is just wrong. Also, they need to be careful, their actions could be considered a threat against PotUS and with the Patriot Act, they could find themselves in a world of hurt.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by LordOpie
lol :D

This is so bogus. Hate the man, fine, but while he's in office, respect him for the position he holds. Heck, I don't like the guy and I dont' think much of him as the PotUS, but this is just wrong. Also, they need to be careful, their actions could be considered a threat against PotUS and with the Patriot Act, they could find themselves in a world of hurt.

It's hard trying to repect the man when the way he got his position is at least questionable.... though, in the interest of national security, it'd probably be a good idea to at least play along with him being president. But I don't think Pearl Jam should be scared the next time they destroy a pinata.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
do you ever get the feeling that Bush Jr is like Ross Perot, but not quite as smart? Since I really think Rumsfeld is the acting President, that gives Bush time to get annoyed. If he wanted some retribution, he'd get it.

I don't think my comments here matter much and while I don't like Bush, if I met him, I'd give him all the respect the position deserves. With that said, I'm afraid. I hope this isn't a trend... Bush Sr. not that good, but whatever... Bush Sr. > Clinton > Bush Jr. WTF is next?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I think Glen Danzig should have rappeled in from the ceiling and impaled Eddie on the microphone, then killed the drummer and started breathing fire on the audience.
LOL, that would have been worth the price of admission. While I agree somewhat with his views (this was a bit OTT though) I've always found Eddie a bit of a prima donna. Oh the angst Eddie, I'm sure 20 trillion dollars will alleviate it somewhat. Give me a break:D

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by LordOpie
I don't think my comments here matter much and while I don't like Bush, if I met him, I'd give him all the respect the position deserves. With that said, I'm afraid. I hope this isn't a trend... Bush Sr. not that good, but whatever... Bush Sr. > Clinton > Bush Jr. WTF is next?
Jeb Bush, my friend. Jeb Bush. Or Katherine Harris. Probably Bush Jr. Part 2 this time though, worse than Part 1. I'd get really depressed, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see another Bush in the race in a few terms.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by valve bouncer
LOL, that would have been worth the price of admission. While I agree somewhat with his views (this was a bit OTT though) I've always found Eddie a bit of a prima donna. Oh the angst Eddie, I'm sure 20 trillion dollars will alleviate it somewhat. Give me a break:D
Totally agree. After "ten" he got this whole "tortured artist" thing going where he wouldn't do anything w/o some sort of BS statement. ie lame too large cardboard CD covers, not showing up at the grammys etc.

Dude, you are in a rock band. Make records, bang groupies etc, but keep your "opinions" limited to your lyrics. You just aren't that important. I am monumentally sick of "socially concious" millionaires who seem to know what we should all be doing differently and what the govt. should be doing differently (regardless of who is running it) yet rarely do anything themselves other than shoot their mouths off. Say what you want about atheletes who get paid tons. To their credit most of them realize that they are paid for their talent, not their opinion.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Damn True
Totally agree. After "ten" he got this whole "tortured artist" thing going where he wouldn't do anything w/o some sort of BS statement. ie lame too large cardboard CD covers, not showing up at the grammys etc.

Holy sh*t we agree on something DT...what's next, cats and dogs living together:D :p
I assume the rest of your post includes Charlie Daniels, Ted Nugent and Arnie too.
(Couldn't let one of your posts go by without stirring the manure just a little bit now could I;) )

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Actually, yes it does.

I have no problem with an "artist" voicing their opinion as a part of their art be it song lyrics, poetry, photography, or paint. It could be argued that some of the worlds greatest artistic trasures had or have political messages entwined within. However, I don't think that their "pulpit" so to speak should extend beyond that. Unless of course that bimbo from the dixie chicks is going to start giving equal time for dissenting opinion after she shoots her mouth of at her concerts. I point out that incident because it is most recent. I don't care about, nor do I want to hear, the opinion of Martin Sheen any more than that of Charlie Daniels.

.....and what follows next is sheer anarchy

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Damn True
Actually, yes it does.

I have no problem with an "artist" voicing their opinion as a part of their art be it song lyrics, poetry, photography, or paint. It could be argued that some of the worlds greatest artistic trasures had or have political messages entwined within. However, I don't think that their "pulpit" so to speak should extend beyond that. Unless of course that bimbo from the dixie chicks is going to start giving equal time for dissenting opinion after she shoots her mouth of at her concerts. I point out that incident because it is most recent. I don't care about, nor do I want to hear, the opinion of Martin Sheen any more than that of Charlie Daniels.

.....and what follows next is sheer anarchy
Well it's up to them what they say and it's up to me if I take any notice. I try to seperate the artist from his political views. I don't like Arnies political views much but The Terminator is still one of my all time faves. I may agree up to a point with the Dixie Chicks politically but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy one of their mediocre radio friendly bore me to tears albums. Unfortunately, as with most people in the public eye their room sized egos let them think that everybody is just dying to get the benefit of their wisdom (mmmmmm, bit like the political debate forum really;) ).
What irks me is the ones jumping on the bandwagon (on both sides). I read earlier that Madonna has removed some anti-war imagery from her album art work because she's worried that it may affect sales. That's as weak as p*ss in my book. Whether I agree with it or not at least have the courage of your own convictions and stand up for what you believe even if it means people aren't gonna buy one of your endlessly pretentious albums. Show some back-bone. But I think it also cuts both ways, I think it's stupid to boycott someones product because you don't like their political views. You miss out on too much good stuff that way:D ;) .

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't buy his albums because since "Ten", they suck- not because of his dopey "Bush-Leaguer" song. Surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with both DT and VB on this topic. It's one thing to write politically-charged songs, but quite another to lavish the "little people" with unsolicited pearls of wisdom. If I bought music based on shared political ideology, I would have a pretty sorry collection of discs- no Beatles, no Bob Marley, no Dylan...:eek:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I'm glad to see that anger, the fire that sparked an alternitive music genra. If you dont know or understand where these acts come from then you dont really know Pearl Jam. Their STILL anit-establishment and i say good for them. Fight the Power!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i don't like "shock" for shock's-sake... it's cheap. I can't help but think that's all Eddie was doing.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
“We are elevated a little more than usual, either that or I've gotten taller. I don't think it's a very good thing to elevate yourself. I think it would be a very dangerous thing... sometimes, whether you like it or not people elevate you...whether you like it or not, and it's very easy to fall. So..uh..I don't want to be the messenger, somebody who delivers bad news, you know. Kill the messenger, but I don't think any of us would be in this room if it weren't for Kurt Cobain.” - Eddie Vedder

I guess he feels it is alright to elevate his ego now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by The Toninator
I'm glad to see that anger, the fire that sparked an alternitive music genra. If you dont know or understand where these acts come from then you dont really know Pearl Jam. Their STILL anit-establishment and i say good for them. Fight the Power!
No one harnessed genuine anger better than Rage Against The Machine. Sad to see them break up but they left at the top of their game.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
I have some fundamental disagreements with a lot of their views, but man do I appreciate the passion behind them, and I dig their music.

Ton, I really don't think that Pearl-Jam (named after Earl "the pearl" Monroe, apparently Vedder is a huge basketball fan) can be credited with sparking the "alternative genre". I think they took an exisiting theme and found a way to market it to the masses. Just my opinion.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Westy
No one harnessed genuine anger better than Rage Against The Machine. Sad to see them break up but they left at the top of their game.
I couldn't stand Zack's anti corporate rants after looking down at the cd label and seeing "Sony Records" on there. That always confused me a bit.....

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
If I paid to go to a concert to listen to music I like and the band that played wasted my time using the concert as a political agenda I would walk out and demand my money back. Class action law-suit from all the fans if they don't get their money back. Sorry, but I don't care what the agenda is don't do it to a captive audience that went there for an entirely different reason.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Stellite
If I paid to go to a concert to listen to music I like and the band that played wasted my time using the concert as a political agenda I would walk out and demand my money back. Class action law-suit from all the fans if they don't get their money back. Sorry, but I don't care what the agenda is don't do it to a captive audience that went there for an entirely different reason.
If there was some sort of contract between you and the band that said, "The band will only play their songs, and will not say anything to the audience other than, "Thank You (Your City)!". Yeah, let's sue a band because they used the microphone you pay 'em to use, and said something you don't like.......

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by patconnole
If there was some sort of contract between you and the band that said, "The band will only play their songs, and will not say anything to the audience other than, "Thank You (Your City)!". Yeah, let's sue a band because they used the microphone you pay 'em to use, and said something you don't like.......
huh?:rolleyes:

I have been to around 80 concerts and have never had a political agenda in any of them. If I would have had some dude talking about his anti- Bush or Anti-Clinton agendas it would have pissed me off because I did not pay my hard earned cash to listen to his mindless drivel about politics. Can you understand that gungadin?:rolleyes:

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Stellite
huh?:rolleyes:

I have been to around 80 concerts and have never had a political agenda in any of them. If I would have had some dude talking about his anti- Bush or Anti-Clinton agendas it would have pissed me off because I did not pay my hard earned cash to listen to his mindless drivel about politics. Can you understand that gungadin?:rolleyes:

Sure, I get it, but it's just not a big deal to me. If he's singing a song called BUSH-leaguer, wearing a BUSH mask, and then talks about BUSH and destroys the mask.... big freakin suprise! "I demand a refund!" Should he not play the song either, because it's "political"?