Quantcast

Concert-goers exit after anti-Bush display at Pearl Jam Show...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm starting to get the feeling that Stellite would have been the guy at the Grateful Dead concert going, "Wait a minute, no one said anything about drugs! I'm shocked!"

:D

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
never saw the gratefull dead and i was gratefull for that. :D

I did however, see Metallica at the Forum twice, Iron Maiden, Dio, WhiteSnake, BlackSabbath(MobRules), Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, Rush, Scorpions, Pantera, White Zombie, Creed, Queensryche, Suicidal Tendencies, and a bunch more that I don't want to admit to:D

NONE OF THEM SPEWED FORTH THEIR OWN POLITICAL AGENDAS:p

Silver, your right, I never did drugs though, I never felt I needed to and wasn't weak enough to submit to peer pressure:p

Patconnole, I think if he spewed some crap about something you don't want to hear you might get peeved.

In any case, good for you if you don't care. In my case I wouldn't leave the concert, but would be saying stuff real loud, like, "You SUCK!"

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Stellite

Silver, your right, I never did drugs though, I never felt I needed to and wasn't weak enough to submit to peer pressure:p

Patconnole, I think if he spewed some crap about something you don't want to hear you might get peeved.

It wasn't a statement of who has and hasn't done drugs, stellite, it's about understanding what you're paying to see. All the bands you listed, I don't follow most of their music, but I doubt they're very politically oriented. Pearl Jam is, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw something like that at their concert. Having a song like "Bushleaguer" on your album is pretty indicative of political opinion. Whether it's mindless drivel or not, what they did compliments the song they were playing.

You're right though, I'd get peeved too-- but I don't have to worry about it since I don't go to country western concerts. Maybe I'd see Reba though. "....That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia!" Or Willie.

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by patconnole
It wasn't a statement of who has and hasn't done drugs, stellite, it's about understanding what you're paying to see. All the bands you listed, I don't follow most of their music, but I doubt they're very politically oriented. Pearl Jam is, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw something like that at their concert.
I'm not sure if the bands I listed are or aren't politically oriented, however, they never showed it in their concerts.

If Pearl Jam is known for being politically oriented then their show was expected somewhat and people really have nothing to complain about. But it seems that people were walking out due to the severity of the display, which also makes sense.

As for me, if I thought that a band might be politically oriented and use the show that I pay money to go see as a sounding stage then I would avoid them, that's all.

Your statements below you state were intended to mean that I didn't understand who I was intending to see. I understand that Drugs were part of the life most of these bands led. Growing up in LA,CA it's impossible not to know. I knew it and accepted it even though I didn't get involved in it. However, by the same token, none of the bands sat there and pulled out a bong mid song and started suckin instead of playing music. That's what the parties afterwards were for.

" Or at Pantera: "Why are they saying Dime-bag?! I thought his name was Diamond-Darrel!"

"I'm starting to get the feeling that Stellite would have been the guy at the Grateful Dead concert going, "Wait a minute, no one said anything about drugs! I'm shocked!"

So it appears we are in agreement. I think we both agree that if the politics is known to be part of the concert then tuff sheeeeiiit, however, if the politics is not known to be part of their concert then they should have avoided it.

As for the severity of the display, well, people tend to get carried away when at a concert some didn't care and some did.

To all those who think music should be separate from politics:

Well, if music is supposed to be free of political opnions, then how do we explain most of country music? So they have no political messages at all? Is that what I'm hearing? have you listened to your local country stations lately? Why target Pearl Jam when they are just say something you don't like? I never listen to Pearl Jam anyway, but i respect their courage in face of a massive criticism and potential loss in sales. Until I see people protesting against country music for their political messages, leave mutherf*cking Pearl Jam alone.

Stellite

Monkey
Feb 21, 2002
ManASSas, VA
Originally posted by nicklin
To all those who think music should be separate from politics:

Well, if music is supposed to be free of political opnions, then how do we explain most of country music? So they have no political messages at all? Is that what I'm hearing? have you listened to your local country stations lately? Why target Pearl Jam when they are just say something you don't like? I never listen to Pearl Jam anyway, but i respect their courage in face of a massive criticism and potential loss in sales. Until I see people protesting against country music for their political messages, leave mutherf*cking Pearl Jam alone.
lol. Hey, the only political content country music has is the divorce when the guys wife left him and the kids for another man. Don't all country songs have those same lyrics:D

Yeah, most pop rockers sing about their last girlfriend or so-called independence, not the real world. but yeah, I heard what you said. Welcome to country music, Patriot Act Style in the 21st century. I tuned in today to our country station today, and over the course of 10 song(I don't know why I did that, I got really, really, really depressed after that), I heard 2 that made me want to go and kill some Iraqis. Maybe it's just my area, but it sure shows the other side of country. Go figure.
Well, at least rappers don't care about the real world, maybe we should all listento rap music!!;)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by nicklin
Yeah, most pop rockers sing about their last girlfriend or so-called independence, not the real world. but yeah, I heard what you said. Welcome to country music, Patriot Act Style in the 21st century. I tuned in today to our country station today, and over the course of 10 song(I don't know why I did that, I got really, really, really depressed after that), I heard 2 that made me want to go and kill some Iraqis. Maybe it's just my area, but it sure shows the other side of country. Go figure.
Well, at least rappers don't care about the real world, maybe we should all listento rap music!!;)
Yeah, then we could go shoot each other:)

Dude, who even knows that pearl jam was doing this for anything more than free press? They should just sing there stupid little songs and sell their little albums. Leave the politics to cab drivers and elected officials.