Quantcast

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
To ration PPE we in the hospital are supposed to reuse surgical masks for several days if not in contact with a known COVID patient. Clearly downsides to this but so too with running out of PPE.

A true first world nation we are.
You'd think a trip through a gamma irradiation sterilizer would fix em right up.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Fellow Twitterers, make your voice heard and vote in my poll!

I don't engage in twitter cesspool but relevant:

*only non-paywall link I could find but in Boston Globe/Herald and other sources.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What are these "masks" and "hand sanitizer" you all keep going on about?

I have looked on the high street in the finest of shops, all of whom want my custom, but forsooth, these items appear to be nothing more than the figment of some charlatans imagination.

Seriously, not a mask, bottle of sanitizer, rubbing alcohol or disinfectant wipes to be found in the last few weeks in any store.

I have 2 new N95, as backup for my P100 respirator I use when sanding etc but that's it. A 500ml bottle of rubbing alcohol in the med chest, maybe 375 in the shop bottle and the leftovers of two small purell bottles from my Canoe trip on the Thanksgiving weekend.

Fuck I'm setup for life.:rofl: :confused: :fie::panic:
If you all need anything, you know where not to find it.:no:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
[QUOTE

Even if you’re wearing gloves? - average moron who thinks gloves miraculously stay clean.
some of the clean rooms i've been in require double gloves.

wash hands
enter gowning area
clean hands with ISO
gloves #1
clean gloves with ISO
don gowns, booties, hairnet, mask
step to clean gowning area
gloves #2
clean second gloves with ISO
enter

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to home disinfect a standard N95?
I know, disposable, but....in todays climate...

Mist thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, then let dry in direct sunlight?
Maybe a trip in the microwave?
I would imagine this would only work a time or two, before it would cause to much degradation.

But still maybe better than a bandanna, or should I just have another bowl and sit in the corner quietly? I really have no fuckin clue and am thinking(?) out loud.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't engage in twitter cesspool but relevant:

*only non-paywall link I could find but in Boston Globe/Herald and other sources.
Yup. I've been following that.

Questions I'd like to see answered in future studies:

- replicable at that site with a proven high specificity test? (who knows what they used)
- replicable elsewhere in Boston or US
- change over time

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to home disinfect a standard N95?
I know, disposable, but....in todays climate...

Mist thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, then let dry in direct sunlight?
I would imagine this would only work a time or two, before it would cause to much degradation.

But still maybe better than a bandanna, or should I just have another bowl and sit in the corner quietly? I really have no fuckin clue and am thinking(?) out loud.
I've seen people baking theirs at 170F. Don't know how they came up with that protocol.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yup. I've been following that.

Questions I'd like to see answered in future studies:

- replicable at that site with a proven high specificity test? (who knows what they used)
- replicable elsewhere in Boston or US
- change over time
See this one yet?

Agreed, the real tale of covid won't be known until accurate, repeatable and widespread testing is done.
In addition to MGH and others there are some private labs doing antibody tests locally but they're booked out weeks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What are these "masks" and "hand sanitizer" you all keep going on about?

I have looked on the high street in the finest of shops, all of whom want my custom, but forsooth, these items appear to be nothing more than the figment of some charlatans imagination.

Seriously, not a mask, bottle of sanitizer, rubbing alcohol or disinfectant wipes to be found in the last few weeks in any store.

I have 2 new N95, as backup for my P100 respirator I use when sanding etc but that's it. A 500ml bottle of rubbing alcohol in the med chest, maybe 375 in the shop bottle and the leftovers of two small purell bottles from my Canoe trip on the Thanksgiving weekend.

Fuck I'm setup for life.:rofl: :confused: :fie::panic:
If you all need anything, you know where not to find it.:no:
You don't need hand sanitizer to sanitize your hands. Soap and water will work fine. I carry a rag soaked in household cleaner when I go to the store to sanitize my hands each time I touch something.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
See this one yet?

Agreed, the real tale of covid won't be known until accurate, repeatable and widespread testing is done.
In addition to MGH and others there are some private labs doing antibody tests locally but they're booked out weeks.
I am about 30% confident me and my wife had a very very mild case. Or it was something else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
some of the clean rooms i've been in require double gloves.

wash hands
enter gowning area
clean hands with ISO
gloves #1
clean gloves with ISO
don gowns, booties, hairnet, mask
step to clean gowning area
gloves #2
clean second gloves with ISO
enter
We also had to hose our final labcoat with some caustic shit meant to kill bacterial spores. We never worried about viral agents as our protocols were designed around bacteria which are harder to kill by a few orders of magnitude.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We also had to hose our final labcoat with some caustic shit meant to kill bacterial spores. We never worried about viral agents as our protocols were designed around bacteria which are harder to kill by a few orders of magnitude.
yea, i spent way too much time learning about the levels if ISO clean rooms. the procedure i described above was for a facility that was in the stages of validation for a product that would have direct CSF contact.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
See this one yet?

Yup. And the 15% (?) positive on universally screened pregnant women at an Ob ward in a NYC hospital.

I eagerly await non-crap antibody data from every state.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You don't need hand sanitizer to sanitize your hands. Soap and water will work fine. I carry a rag soaked in household cleaner when I go to the store to sanitize my hands each time I touch something.
Yup, got that baggie.
A bit messier and harder on the skin than za gelz but oh so lemony fresh.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yup. And the 15% (?) positive on universally screened pregnant women at an Ob ward in a NYC hospital.

I eagerly await non-crap antibody data from every state.
14% positives, 88% with no symptoms in that maternity study.

Couldn't the data from 'reliable sources' in hot spots like tri-state/MA/WA work in lieu of nationwide testing?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
14% positives, 88% with no symptoms in that maternity study.

Couldn't the data from 'reliable sources' in hot spots like tri-state/MA/WA work in lieu of nationwide testing?
They'd establish a ceiling on the plausible range, sure. But to inform individual states' actions we'd ideally have real prevalence data.

FWIW, IHME assumed at the end of August 3% prevalence _with social distancing_, iirc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I hate to sound like a terrible cold hearted sob but I want to read about that woman having the virus in 10 days or so.
I agree, but that puts other people and healthcare workers at risk.

Can she get something else non-contagious that's related to COVID-19?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am about 30% confident me and my wife had a very very mild case. Or it was something else.
I had something late February, but the fact that only 10% of the people tested in Washington got positive results makes me seriously question if it was corona. Especially considering you had to have significant symptoms and be at risk to even get a test.