Quantcast

D.O.C. Unveiled

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Looks pretty cool. One thing that isn't mentioned - a big advantage of that dropout design is versatility. They could have SS dropouts, or bolt-on axle dropouts, or whatever. I wonder if they will be taking advantage of that versatility, or if everyone is stuck with a stupid derailleur hanger?

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
By the time I was done doing searches to make sure I wasn't going to be flamed, there'd already been four posts. My question probably been answered elsewhere, so I'm sure to be flamed regardless. Anyway, here goes:

Is that an internal headset mine eyes do detect?

I know a lot of BMX companies are headed that way to, but I have to ask why. The advent of deep insertion HS has significantly reduced the danger of ovalization. If you bugger your races on an internal HS, your frame's toast. I know Chris King has taken a pretty strong stance against them (probably partially b/c their proprietary HS/standard was DOA).

Of course, DW will probably right in to say "it's just an externally relieved headtube you oaf" and I'll slink away.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yo Meatboot
"it's just an externally relieved headtube you oaf"

hahaha

Im with you and Chris King. For a 20 inch BMX, with a lot shorter fork height etc, the internals may be OK for now, but I wont chance it on a big bike until i can build my own headsets.

FunkyMonk, the D.O.C. was literally designed to excel for Chris Donahue. In a given week, he rides in the skatepark, on the street, in the woods of the North Shore, and at the dirtjumps . It will make a ripper on the trails for sure!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Echo said:
Looks pretty cool. One thing that isn't mentioned - a big advantage of that dropout design is versatility. They could have SS dropouts, or bolt-on axle dropouts, or whatever. I wonder if they will be taking advantage of that versatility, or if everyone is stuck with a stupid derailleur hanger?
Thanks Echo,

The dropouts are actually a new e.thirteen product. Several companies approached us after the tradeshow last year asking if they could "borrow" the design, so we struck up a deal. We invented a little "standard" of sorts, and we will introduce the dropouts at the 05 show. For 05, e.thirteen will offer different styles of dropouts that can bolt to several models of bikes. They will range from the 14mm vertical like found on the Imperial SL, to 10mm verticals in different chainstay lengths. For the Sovereign, there is even a 24" specific dropout for people wanting ot run 24" in back and 26" in front. It should be a lot of fun.

Dave

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'll admit, being a tall I really didn't like fell of the Imperial one bit. That D.O.C. on the other hand looks like it will be alot more versatile for us taller guys. Cool

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
DW what's this bull**** about the frame retailling for $450 US? I don't believe it. Must be a typo. Is this thing welded by :monkey: 's or what? How is it so cheap?

Looks like I am going to be visiting the sperm bank a lot :eek: :thumb:

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
dw said:
They will range from the 14mm vertical like found on the Imperial SL, to 10mm verticals in different chainstay lengths.
Dave, any word on when/if the adapters for the SL are going to be done?

Thanks.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Im so pumped for this thing to get out on the market, i think a lot of companies in the hardtail market are going to have to do some thinking after it does...
Ive got a prototype sitting next to me right now, its just waiting parts :cool:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
what is the seat tube length on that bad boy? i like the big diameter for the long posts and want to know how well i can expect to sit and pedal on that bad boy when i buy one :)

also, i could not tell from the pics i saw, but does that have ISCG mounts?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
mandown said:
also, i could not tell from the pics i saw, but does that have ISCG mounts?
nope. That way you dont have to worry about breaking them off on sprocket stalls/grinds. Also out of the way for people that want to run SS.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Is 450 right? If so i am buying one asap. I wanted a sovreign the second they were shown this is gonna be a ownage singlespeed bike.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
$450? bad-****ing-ass, man. my nipples are hard now.

now questions...are those the production graphics? is December shipping a best-case guess, or a pretty reliable estimate? what about the 'after-market' v bosses?

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Pip3r said:
nope. That way you dont have to worry about breaking them off on sprocket stalls/grinds. Also out of the way for people that want to run SS.
Why would they be in the way for single speed? And don't you do your stalls/grinds on your bashring :confused:. I've tried doing grinds on my trials bike but as you can guess I didn't have a chain tensioner on the bike. The only think I can see busting the tabs off is if the lower pully arm caught on somthing and twisted them off.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
DW and the Evil crew, looks like you've got another winner. Can't wait to see one in person. Now if you'd only make one in orange I bet my wife wouldn't notice it in the garage. "oh no honey, that's my Imperial, I just washed it."

Any idea what the seat height would be on the long with a 410 or 367mm Thomson?

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
trialsmasta said:
The only think I can see busting the tabs off is if the lower pully arm caught on somthing and twisted them off.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens all too often. I don't see how they'd get in the way of a single speed set up, but they offend the clean aesthetic usually achieved with a SS set up. I'm glad to see companies like Endless and Evil moving away from them.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
So how is this bike so much cheaper than the Sovereign? I'm assuming it must be a less expensive Reynolds alloy - if it was high-end Dave would let you know about it lol. The DOC is missing the XX double dropout, but looks pretty similar otherwise. It looks to have every bit as much development/engineering into it, so I am still shocked at the price - in a good way! Congrats Evil on making a bike for the average joe! That's seriously awesome. You'd better plan some LARGE production runs!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
dude your out of it, that is prob wholesale on it. Dont post those prices on the board... try much higher :rolleyes:
actually the pinkbike writeup said $450 USD, and that would be retail.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
manhattanprjkt83 said:
dude your out of it, that is prob wholesale on it. Dont post those prices on the board... try much higher :rolleyes:
LMAO how about YOU read the article in the link of the first post! Who's out of it???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bulldog said:
So how is this bike so much cheaper than the Sovereign?
"hi tensile steel" :eek: :D

actually dw has posted about this on hcor, but that thread was lost when the server went down. a cheaper tubeset is a large part of it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Looks flexy

;)

I'm sure all will be answered on their site, but I'm wondering with what length fork that quoted geometry is measured. And of course, weight.

I'd like one black regular to go, please.

dwylie75

Chimp
Sep 19, 2003
Bulldog said:
So how is this bike so much cheaper than the Sovereign? I'm assuming it must be a less expensive Reynolds alloy - if it was high-end Dave would let you know about it lol. The DOC is missing the XX double dropout, but looks pretty similar otherwise. It looks to have every bit as much development/engineering into it, so I am still shocked at the price - in a good way! Congrats Evil on making a bike for the average joe! That's seriously awesome. You'd better plan some LARGE production runs!
this bike will not be USA made. that helps keep the cost down. they will also be making a lot more of these than they will their imps and sovs. more ya make and sell less it costs you per unit in the end. other than that i do not know how the cost is being kept down

d

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Chill, Doss drives a beer truck (I think), he doesn't work at a shop. He got that price from the article...
:nope:

:D

beers3xbmx

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Toshi said:
actually the pinkbike writeup said $450 USD, and that would be retail.
killer price, and imagine, endless charges 700 for their frames....doc is much sicker, and it is a real company not just middle men trying to get rich off of rich kids.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
lord knows Marshalls bank account is soooo fat :rolleyes:

Yes the DOC is sick but no need to knock Endless, they're selling the frames for what they can afford to, and I don't think they're striking it rich exactly...