Quantcast

Describing Beer

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to be better able to describe beer. Example:

How would you describe a beer like Fat Tire that leaves an after tast like you were sucking on a mouth full of pennies? Is there a certain ingredient that they are using too much of? Like ass maybe? Perhaps they should use less ass and more hops?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BeerDemon said:

How would you describe a beer like Fat Tire that leaves an after tast like you were sucking on a mouth full of pennies? Is there a certain ingredient that they are using too much of? Like ass maybe? Perhaps they should use less ass and more hops?
In this case I think ass = hops. My understanding is that hops provides alot of the bitter finish in a beer.

Are you sure your roommates aren't playing a joke on you and wiping the top of your beer bottle someplace bad while you're in the kitchen during a commercial?

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
H8R said:
In this case I think ass = hops. My understanding is that hops provides alot of the bitter finish in a beer.

Are you sure your roommates aren't playing a joke on you and wiping the top of your beer bottle someplace bad while you're in the kitchen during a commercial?
My beer may have seen some crack.

I don't think bitter is the problem. I like bitters. Have you ever had Fat Tire? There are other beers like it - they just have this particular flavor that I really dislike and I've always wondered what part of the brewing process creates this ass taste.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what do you think of arrogant bastard, aaron? that's as hoppy as they come afaik (barring double bastard or whatever it's called), and was too much for me to even finish the bottle.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Toshi said:
what do you think of arrogant bastard, aaron? that's as hoppy as they come afaik (barring double bastard or whatever it's called), and was too much for me to even finish the bottle.
Never tried it. I'll get some in the name of science.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think fat tire's got little hops; to me it's way too sweet.

toshi, the hoppiest beer i've ever tried was 120 minute IPA from dogfish. like liquified, distilled hop blossoms. nasty. and i like hoppy beers.

an exercise in extremism.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
BeerDemon said:
Have you ever had Fat Tire? There are other beers like it - they just have this particular flavor that I really dislike and I've always wondered what part of the brewing process creates this ass taste.
If you're referring to the slightly sour taste, there are 2 possible causes. It could be the particular strain of yeast they use. A lot of Belgian and Belgian-style ales possess the same quality. I didn't realize the effect yeast had on flavor until I started homebrewing. The same recipe (grains/water/hops) with 2 different yeasts will often yield 2 very different beers.

It could also be caused by the pH of the water. Lower pH will cause a slightly sour finish to the beer.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:
Generally speaking, I don't like beers made with ass. Of course, there are always exceptions.
I'm sure Dogfish Head will eventually try it. They seem to be really in to the experimental brewing.

Can you imagine the brewing notes?

Filter water through damp riding shorts, boil with grains, add hops....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
Arrogant bastard is really not terribly hoppy. I would characterize it as overly malty. For hoppy extremism, try any of the following:

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Avery Brewing Maharaja Imperial IPA
Stone Brewing Ruination IPA (this is a bit less than the other two)

Be warned - the first two only come in bombers and are pushing 10% alcohol. :eek:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BeerDemon said:

Actually, i find that metallic tatses - pennies, salty sour - umami, whatever you want to call it - are typically going bad. They are lightstruck, past the expiration date, or have been through warm/cold cycles.
Craft stuff is more suceptible to this kind of thing.

I recently picked up a 6 of double bag, and it tasted like their were roofing nails in the beer. Sure enough - expired by 3 months.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
berkshire_rider said:
That sucks. Double Bag (I assume you are referring to Long Trail) is usually pretty good. Strong, but good.
How did i know that you would chime in?:)

You know that sometimes the setting/occasion makes a beer even better.
A Double Bag was one of the best beers I have ever had in my life. My wife (she had just become my fiance at the time) and i had just finished the first day of a B&B to B&B bike tour in Vermont. We did 60 miles that day, and that evening, after dinner, we sat out on the porch of the B&B and watched the sunset & drank a couple of Double Bags. It was just about a perfect moment.
It was the first time I had had the beer as well.

I'm glad I can get it in NY now, I just wish they would rotate the stock!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Toshi said:
Ahem. Check my avatar, I love the stuff. But like SS I don't really find it overly hopppy, I think it's well balanced and if anything a bit on the malty side. To me Fat Tire is even more on the malty/sweet side, I wish it was less so. I really like the New Belgium Loft brew though, much better IMO.

But this might help:

"A hop plant is a type of flower. When the flower is dried and added to beer, hops provide bitterness and aroma. Why do we want beer to be bitter? Because the sweetness of the malt in wort is overwhelming. Without hops, having a beer would be like drinking pancake syrup. Well, maybe not that bad. But you get the picture. All good things in life require balance, and beer is no exception."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
For some reason I have trouble finding *any* flavors in Fat Tire. :think: :D
Yeah I know. I really really want to like it - I mean come on, it's got a bike on the label - but I know what you're saying. A lot of people feel the same way. Maybe they will come out with New Fat Tire, like new coke or something...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Yeah I know. I really really want to like it - I mean come on, it's got a bike on the label - but I know what you're saying. A lot of people feel the same way. Maybe they will come out with New Fat Tire, like new coke or something...
I used to like it. It *does* have more flavor than, say, Bud. Of course, that's not saying much. :p

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Mackie said:
How did i know that you would chime in?:)

You know that sometimes the setting/occasion makes a beer even better.
A Double Bag was one of the best beers I have ever had in my life. My wife (she had just become my fiance at the time) and i had just finished the first day of a B&B to B&B bike tour in Vermont. We did 60 miles that day, and that evening, after dinner, we sat out on the porch of the B&B and watched the sunset & drank a couple of Double Bags. It was just about a perfect moment.
It was the first time I had had the beer as well.

I'm glad I can get it in NY now, I just wish they would rotate the stock!

Maybe your beer store doesn't sell a lot of micro brew beers, only mainstream stuff, so it sits for awhile? :confused: Pretty soon Long Trail will start brewing their fall seasonal - Harvest. Make sure to try it, if you have never had it.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Question: where do you guys go to get these beers? WHERE!?!?!?!1! I'm dying in So Cal to try something different, but don't want to have to go to the Yardhouse to try it. Thanks!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
reflux said:
Question: where do you guys go to get these beers? WHERE!?!?!?!1! I'm dying in So Cal to try something different, but don't want to have to go to the Yardhouse to try it. Thanks!
Just about every town in the Northeast. There's a bunch of good local micro breweries around here, plus they carry beer from all over the country. Isn't there any of the large beverage marts in your area that are the size of a supermarket? If not, maybe you can visit some of the local micro breweries, and take home a growler or three.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
SkaredShtles said:
I'm going to speculate that your opinion is something considerably less than "expert" :rolleyes:
I don't know... Did you see where his location is? I'd sure place him as an expert...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Radarr said:
I don't know... Did you see where his location is? I'd sure place him as an expert...
sounds like a swingin' pad. I bet he walks around in a smoking jacket with a pipe, sipping Budweiser from a brandy sniffter.

but back on track here...I tried a Green Man Golden Lager from this joint in Asheville & it was described as tasting like a biscuit & that was spot on. The breath you took afterwards (the finish?) tasted like the crunchy bottom of a biscuit. :thumb:

It was cool place too, if you are ever in Asheville check out Jack of the Woods.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
berkshire_rider said:
Maybe your beer store doesn't sell a lot of micro brew beers, only mainstream stuff, so it sits for awhile? :confused: Pretty soon Long Trail will start brewing their fall seasonal - Harvest. Make sure to try it, if you have never had it.
They do a brisk micro business, but i think that the Long Trail stuff does not really have a following here yet.
I'm working on changing that.
:thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
<shrug>

This *obviously* does not make you an expert.

Witness the Coors Lite comments. :rolleyes:
ya know....I agree with this fella'. He never said Coors Light tasted good or was a quality beer...he just likes to pound them. nothing wrong with that. IMHO, if you tear through a sixer of Hoegaarden & dont savor the delicate orange hints & the subtle taste of corriander, you might as well be pounding fermented rice water. I, personally, dont have a stomach that can handle a lot of good beer, so I opt for Miller Lite when I know I will want 2 or 6. :o:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
scurban said:
If you like to drink like I do, drink Coor's light, you can drink it all night long.

True beer drinkers don't act like WHINE lovers. Please don't turn something great like BEER into something stupid like smashed grapes and its lame ass following.
Son, you are either joking or you are a joke.

This is stupid on so many levels that I hope you are just trying to incite a few insults. If not, I don't know where to begin. But listen up:

First, if Coors Light is the best kind of beer for drinking like you do, then I don't want to drink like you. Wait, let me guess: Drinking "like you" means drinking as many beers as possible in the shortest amount of time, in an effort to get hammered quickly and cheaply. Yeah I went through that stage too. About 15 years ago.

Second, by dissing wine and generalizing about people who enjoy wine, you have exposed yourself as an ignorant clown with very limited exposure to the world.

Third, if you think it is lame to carry on an intelligent conversation about the merits of a particular beer in the same way some people analyze wine, then you are not a real player in a serious beer business. Real brewers are craftsmen who appreciate the subtleties and respect distinctions in other beer.

Dude, go ahead and enjoy your Coors Light. Thanks for leaving the good stuff for us.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
scurban said:
Yet I'm the only one on this fourm that actually pays my morgage by working in the beer industry.

IMO beer snobs are funny.

But it you feel like its a right of passage, go with guy!
Don't you mean that we pay your morgage?

Speaking of which, where's my beer?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I think that everyone is being a little hard on scurban - sure, he's said some dumb stuff, but he does have a point. Every beer has it's place.

For example:
Coors Light - it's great for really hot summer days after a bunch of hamburgers - you know, the time where if you couldn't drink an oatmeal stout becuase you already finished dinner. It's also good for watching NASCAR events, either live or on TV.

The darker beer is great for drinking after a long day's work. Like a Black Butte Porter. It isn't something that really goes well with eating a lot of food. Just when you want to sit and do absolutely nothing but enjoy the beer.

I know that I've got 5 different types of beer in my fridge right now, just depending on my mood. PBR (in the bottle), Rainer, a home-brew hef, the afore mentioned porter, and another home brew that's maybe a dark amber. I don't know about that one, my friend's mom made it for us.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Radarr said:
I think that everyone is being a little hard on scurban - sure, he's said some dumb stuff, but he does have a point. Every beer has it's place.
Yes - every beer has its place.

If we're talking about Miller, Bud, Coors, PBR, etc., etc. it should be placed directly in the kitchen drain.

I don't like to drink beer that I find tasteless swill.

Others are free to drink said swill.

Somebody's gotta keep those multinational swill brewers in business.

I don't like crap beer after a burger, during a NASCAR race, or any other time. I like the beer I like and I don't want to bother with the rest.

I've got Michelob in my fridge that's probably two months old. Eventually someone will drink it when they come over.

YMMV.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
on a recent trip through the midwest i found keystone light bottles, and busch light bottles. I have never been more appaled at the state of drinking. And i think that fat tire on tap is better tasting than when i drink it out the bottle.

Its strange to me how the same beer tastes different in a can than in a bottle than on tap. anyone else know what i'm saying? is it in my head?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Def. not in your head. Nearly all beer tastes different and often better from the tap. Guiness is an extreme example.