Quantcast

diablo 10/16-17

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Stiff said:
Damien, do I owe you money for beaver?

That was a nice campground, just down the road from Diablow.
I can't remember. It wasn't that much so no worries.
If you go back for more beaver, maybe you'll get lucky and the Russians will be back with their disco ball and "boots." Bring your club wear and glow sticks just in case :D.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
DamienC said:
I can't remember. It wasn't that much so no worries.
If you go back for more beaver, maybe you'll get lucky and the Russians will be back with their disco ball and "boots." Bring your club wear and glow sticks just in case :D.
i'm not sure if she was wearing those (rubber black) boots for style or to protect her against her barfing companions... ;)

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
They won't be back, despite the Russian propensity for cold weather and gloominess. They struck me as fair-weather Sunday rave-campers.

Still, more fun than another sausage party....unless we can make Dan do REALLY stupid stuff with alcohol and fire.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
update on the weather: it looks like the HEAVY rains they called for today (in Vernon, NJ) might not be so HEAVY after all. there maybe some spotty rain here and there with a chance of tstorms. hopefully, the conditions up there will stay relatively dry. if anything, sunday's looking really nice!

looks like you guys will be camping in some great weather saturday night!

what time is everyone planning to get there and start riding on saturday? i will most likely be going non-stop all day saturday since it's my only day of riding... eating lunch (whatever i fit in my pack) on the lifts. stiff, i hope you got your tires squared away so you don't end up flatting so much!

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Well I know now to get my rest in before tommorrow so I won't wake up with a pair on my face!!!!!

Does anyone have a sleeping bag pad I can borrow? I have a sleeping bag, I just need a pad...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
whale said:
stiff, i hope you got your tires squared away so you don't end up flatting so much!
aw I forgot about my tire situation. Anyone have a spare beefy sidewalled 24" DH tire they wouldn't mind parting with?

I might have to make a tubeless set-up Sat night with my current retarded tire.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
jmvar said:
Well I know now to get my rest in before tommorrow so I won't wake up with a pair on my face!!!!!

Does anyone have a sleeping bag pad I can borrow? I have a sleeping bag, I just need a pad...
I've got a spare foam pad. I'll bring it.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
From the Diner in Adams Morgan to the parking lot at Diablo, it took just a little over four hours to get there, taking into account one pit stop and a little navigational improvisation when we decided for one reason or another to not take the NJ turnpike on the way up.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Just got my 2005 Diablo season pass, good for oct 04 too. I figure that $60 in lift passes this weekend would be better spent towards a pass for next yr. Something to look forward to.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Stiff said:
Just got my 2005 Diablo season pass, good for oct 04 too. I figure that $60 in lift passes this weekend would be better spent towards a pass for next yr. Something to look forward to.
alright. see y'all up there in the morning. we are heading out the door in a few minutes...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
For those of you who haven't ridden Diablo much, it rained Friday and Saturday nights (in addition to the week's rains) but the trails were in perfect shape all day Saturday and Sunday - very tacky.

If anyone wants to go up again this coming weekend, I'd be down.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
just a few action shots from this past weekend courtesty of jmvar.

from the lift

DßR stylin' off a tabletop

me taking the sketchy drop on ripper

probably won't be able to make it back again this year... can't wait for next season!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I was there this weekend and must say that the place ROCKS! I had so much fun that I am already planning my trip for next season.

I had forgotten how much fun ladders and rocks could be! The table tops on Dominion were a blast!!! Those things were big, but with the right speed you could just sail over them. All the drops were manageable, and there were cheater lines around the nasty stuff (forget the trail – straight out back off the lift…) for those in my group who didn’t like the drops.

And despite all the rain and some fallen leaves, the trails were not lose or sloppy at all: although the ruts on Alpine were a little rough after 2 days in a row. So happy to see a place where they thought of the rider when they designed the trails…

My only comment is that they need to put in a few bigger drops/stunts. I think intermediate and advanced riders could do 99% of it… and it’d be nice to have something to work up to (Just my .02). They could make one really nasty trail and name it Plattekill (since I hear the rumors that PKill may not last much longer).

Then again I loved every part of that place and can’t wait to go back!

Best riding I've had in a year!!! :thumb:

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Nice pic's .A few of us Y.A.F.R.O boys are goin on the 30th, if any of ya'll wanna tag along lemme know .
I just put my Yeti back together .It's polished now ( the result of 6 weeks off the bike bored sh#tless).It looks way sick. I was inspired by DBR's anodized black shiver.
Later E.C.