Quantcast

Does it matter what oil I use in the lower leg of RS forks (air spring side)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I generally order my rebuild kits from eBay, can often get them cheaper with free shipping if you're not putting in a bigger order from somewhere.

gap30cycles always seems to have good prices on there for my random service parts purchases.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I generally order my rebuild kits from eBay, can often get them cheaper with free shipping if you're not putting in a bigger order from somewhere.

gap30cycles always seems to have good prices on there for my random service parts purchases.
I think I'm just gonna get my bike shop hookup to make an order directly with SRAM. Pickup the Charger 2 with the high/low nobs, the debonair piston, and a full rebuild kit all in one swoop.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Have you considered a return to coil?

:D
I have. The only reason I have this fork is because it came on my Capra and I don't like spending money.

The issue is again $$$$ it's like $400 for a Push coil conversion. I'd rather save that money for a coil shock which should make the crazy progressive LR on this bike a bit more chill.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The last RS product I used was a 2008 revelation dual air.
I had a 2000 JudyXL, it sucked so I gave them 10 years to sort their shit but my 2010 Totem was no better. In 2020 I'll have another go, they'll no doubt be running 12mm super boost axles with 60mm torque caps by then, yaaaay!

I need o add some splash lube to my Durolux, they don't run any from new.

Last edited:

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I had a 2000 JudyXL, it sucked so I gave them 10 years to sort their shit but my 2010 Totem was no better. In 2020 I'll have another go, they'll no doubt be running 12mm super boost axles with 60mm torque caps by then, yaaaay!

You only choose to test the ones that truly are bad and avoid the good ones. A bit like me with fox shox. Only tried the ones that are crap.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

You probably know this already but be careful of adding too much splash lube. I did one time and it got sucked into the damper of my 2013 Durolux rc2 (thankfully easy to service). I think 5 cc is the recommended amount now and I 'm guessing you have the newer PCS damper.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You probably know this already but be careful of adding too much splash lube. I did one time and it got sucked into the damper of my 2013 Durolux rc2 (thankfully easy to service). I think 5 cc is the recommended amount now and I 'm guessing you have the newer PCS damper.
Yeah I did the same on my Vengence, the Durolux's damper has a nasty sticker saying something about fancy tools and voiding warranty if you open it. Still waiting for them to reply to my warranty claim emails, has been over a month since last contact and probably over two since I told them it was faulty. Will have to call the through the week I guess.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Are you in North America or Europe? The NA guys (e.g., Nick and Darren) seem pretty helpful and also reply to questions on the mtbr forums.

Regarding the damper, a guy from Suntour told me via pm that compared to the older RC2 the PCS dampers are "a bit more tricky because they need to be bled. There is a small grub screw in the piston that's removed to push any air out when bleeding."

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nah, Australia. I can't file a warranty claim as requested as Australia isn't on the list of countries so I can't create an account.

I can't ride a the moment so I'm not too concerned but it will stop me buying any future items from them for sure, maybe they got bought out by Bos, they didn't seem to like Australians either.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Nah, Australia. I can't file a warranty claim as requested as Australia isn't on the list of countries so I can't create an account.

I can't ride a the moment so I'm not too concerned but it will stop me buying any future items from them for sure, maybe they got bought out by Bos, they didn't seem to like Australians either.
Too bad. My country distributor isn't too helpful either despite suntour being the most common fork brand. Nah, Suntour is a giant company they could easily buy bos. I hope you get that fork sorted out soon.