Quantcast

Drama BMX

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
notice how when Winklemann does the roof transfer, the drop in to the 2nd bowl is bigger the most drops guys in here are willing to do on their down hill bikes with 8" of suspension? BMX guys are so skilled! Mtbr's really need to step it up.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
scurban said:
notice how when Winklemann does the roof transfer, the drop in to the 2nd bowl is bigger the most drops guys in here are willing to do on their down hill bikes with 8" of suspension? BMX guys are so skilled! Mtbr's really need to step it up.
:stupid: this vid makes pro 26" street riders looks like newbs.
makes me want dust off my 20" :think:

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
The Kadvang said:
My jaw is still on the floor from Mirra's walking whip wallride thingy... amazing.
Yah that is mind blowing. The rail manual to rail is sick to. Almost all of those clips are amazing.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
um you guys probably dont know how hard that barspin to tailwhip on the dirt jump was. when almost everyone tailwhips you kick the bike with your foot to start it then use your arms to bring it around. If you watch he does a no footer and whips it with his arms. i tried pullin a tailwhip the same way at the park last night and it wasnt happening and i can consistently land them the other way.
f'n amazing i bought a copy its gonnna ber gnare core

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it's not uncommon for a bmx bike with pegs to weigh less then 30 pounds.

not cheap though....

I haven't put mine on a scale but i'm guessing low 30's. four pegs, front brakes and a gyro, I could get it lighter if I cared to spend the money.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i don't have a picture.

macneil heaton frame
terrible one pegs (four)
odyssey forks (flatland)
fsa cranks
ti spindle (huge weight savings)
3/8 front axle
araya 7x front rim (no longer made I don't think, single wall)
tech 77 levers
T1 bars
FSA stem (piece of sh1t, slips on steer tube..but light)
some seat post, aluminum
some dumb seat
salsa seat post clamp
primo pedals. heavy
profile 28 tooth sprocket
11 tooth driver
odyssey cassette hub

thats pretty much it. nothing special. you can get crazy nutty with 9 or 8 tooth ti drivers and 22 tooth sprockets and ti pegs and race forks and blah blah...

my bike is nice. much lighter then the 41 pound thing I once rode.
that bike was heavy but I still was able to do all my tricks on it. including rails, barspins and whatever else was cool at the time. now that i'm old, a lighter bike is nice though. ;)

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
So some of these bikes weigh just about the same as some freeride bikes, FS or HT. That's some talent seeing as how they whip those BMX bikes around all fast and smooth. How can 26"er's be complaining about the weight of their bike....go lift some weights.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
its wheel size. there wheels get up to speed easier, have less rotating mass (360's and tailwhips etc are much much easier on a bmx bike), bar position i run my bars low as do most mtb street riders making it much harder to get back on the bike after tailwhips/no footed can can's unlike big ugly bmx bars. some local guys up her in missoula make there own frames called vandal bmx and run no brakes small drivetrain etc et c and there bikes weight like 24 lbs or something crazy

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man that video looks awesome!

I think my 20" comes in around 32 or so, it's about as light as I want to go while still being strong enough to withstand my old unskilled hack self riding it.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
that pnj you gave me some good advice on how to lighting my ride a bit, alu seat post, genius! some new cranks too... sorry i was riding road most of last year :P

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
dexter said:
its wheel size. there wheels get up to speed easier, have less rotating mass (360's and tailwhips etc are much much easier on a bmx bike), bar position i run my bars low as do most mtb street riders making it much harder to get back on the bike after tailwhips/no footed can can's unlike big ugly bmx bars. some local guys up her in missoula make there own frames called vandal bmx and run no brakes small drivetrain etc et c and there bikes weight like 24 lbs or something crazy
Yeah the liteweight trend in bmx is getting nuts. People running 23-8 and no pegs...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dromond said:
Yeah the liteweight trend in bmx is getting nuts. People running 23-8 and no pegs...
but the best part is, the bikes are still strong.

years ago, a light bike was a race bike and would not hold up to being bashed on. to be able to have a bike that is in the high 20's and still strong or stronger then bikes in the past is awsome.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
pnj said:
but the best part is, the bikes are still strong.

years ago, a light bike was a race bike and would not hold up to being bashed on. to be able to have a bike that is in the high 20's and still strong or stronger then bikes in the past is awsome.
This is sort of true. A lot of the parts people are putting on their freestyle bikes are in fact straight up race parts. i.e. Odyssey RACE forks. I would agree that the bikes are still plenty strong. Heck I run a race fork, alu seatpost, lite pegs, etc.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
those race forks are stronger then forks of years gone by....

but yea, I know what your saying.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
dexter said:
its wheel size. there wheels get up to speed easier, have less rotating mass (360's and tailwhips etc are much much easier on a bmx bike)
Its part the acceleration of the wheelset, but more importantly the reduced rotating mass. It makes the bike lighter feeling once its in the air, but more importantly has less inertia and momentum (I hope I'm explaining this right) to overcome. It is similar to how a large displacement mx bike can't be whipped around as easily as a smaller one. Part of it is the overall weight of the bike, but speed and more time in the air could compensate for that. The bigger issue is that bigger flywheel/piston/rod spinning. Even though the rotating assembly doesn't know if its pointing up/down/sideways or whatever, when you change its orrientation to the earth, it has an effect. So when you compare the energy of a 20" rim spinning at X rpm, vs the energy of same weight 26" rim spinning at the same rpm, the 26" rim is exerting more force (I know my use of terms probably isn't correct from a physics standpoint). Not to mention the fact that I don't know of many 26" wheelsets with a good tire that you would use for DJing, that would end up weighing in at the same as a 20" dj deal.

I guess you could use one of those little gyro wrist exercise deals as an example too. Get one of those things humming along and notice how it requires effort to change the orrientation of the spinning rotor to the earth.

All that crap asside, the biggest difference is cost, overall age of guys busting moves on 20"s vs 24/26"s and the culture itself. The AVERAGE age of guys busting those moves is maybe 18-19yrs old? Their bodies are providing better power to weight ratios, they're motor skills and coordination are just about at their peak, they don't have some of the consequences of packing hard and not being able to work for a week, month etc. Their bikes cost less which removes a barrier of entry, resulting in more potential riders, and even if the badass to average-joe ratio was the same between 20" and MTB, they'd win through attrition. Then use those numbers and figure that the tricks are going to progress faster because their is a larger talent pool pushing the envelope. Next there is the culture; rRespect is earned not given, and the best way to earn it is to throw down the newest stuff. Combine that with the fact that the guys ridding 20"s on average have far more free time than the guys riding mtb stuff for DJ, and you have all the reasons you could ever need why the 20" guys kick more ass.

Remember, most of these kids start ripping early (jumping curbs, bunnyhoping, etc are all mastered by your average 8-10yr old), they learn on 20" and because they can only ride where they can get to on their 20", it typically means that they won't be looking for an MTB based ride to tackle downhills. It goes back to roots. Most kids aren't going to have MTB related roots, they grew up on 20" bikes, and if they stay with ridding, they'll probably keep ridding 20" bikes unless the only ridding spots they can find require a gearset to get to. Its the only reason I strayed from my 20", and look at me now. A fat bastard, 30yr old who works waaaaaaay more than he rides, and who's number one priority is to build a hardtail rig that feels like a 20" bike. :D

A strange little circle we've traveled,
Chris

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
flat broke said:
Its part the acceleration of the wheelset, but more importantly the reduced rotating mass. It makes the bike lighter feeling once its in the air, but more importantly has less inertia and momentum (I hope I'm explaining this right) to overcome. It is similar to how a large displacement mx bike can't be whipped around as easily as a smaller one. Part of it is the overall weight of the bike, but speed and more time in the air could compensate for that. The bigger issue is that bigger flywheel/piston/rod spinning. Even though the rotating assembly doesn't know if its pointing up/down/sideways or whatever, when you change its orrientation to the earth, it has an effect. So when you compare the energy of a 20" rim spinning at X rpm, vs the energy of same weight 26" rim spinning at the same rpm, the 26" rim is exerting more force (I know my use of terms probably isn't correct from a physics standpoint). Not to mention the fact that I don't know of many 26" wheelsets with a good tire that you would use for DJing, that would end up weighing in at the same as a 20" dj deal.

I guess you could use one of those little gyro wrist exercise deals as an example too. Get one of those things humming along and notice how it requires effort to change the orrientation of the spinning rotor to the earth.

All that crap asside, the biggest difference is cost, overall age of guys busting moves on 20"s vs 24/26"s and the culture itself. The AVERAGE age of guys busting those moves is maybe 18-19yrs old? Their bodies are providing better power to weight ratios, they're motor skills and coordination are just about at their peak, they don't have some of the consequences of packing hard and not being able to work for a week, month etc. Their bikes cost less which removes a barrier of entry, resulting in more potential riders, and even if the badass to average-joe ratio was the same between 20" and MTB, they'd win through attrition. Then use those numbers and figure that the tricks are going to progress faster because their is a larger talent pool pushing the envelope. Next there is the culture; rRespect is earned not given, and the best way to earn it is to throw down the newest stuff. Combine that with the fact that the guys ridding 20"s on average have far more free time than the guys riding mtb stuff for DJ, and you have all the reasons you could ever need why the 20" guys kick more ass.

Remember, most of these kids start ripping early (jumping curbs, bunnyhoping, etc are all mastered by your average 8-10yr old), they learn on 20" and because they can only ride where they can get to on their 20", it typically means that they won't be looking for an MTB based ride to tackle downhills. It goes back to roots. Most kids aren't going to have MTB related roots, they grew up on 20" bikes, and if they stay with ridding, they'll probably keep ridding 20" bikes unless the only ridding spots they can find require a gearset to get to. Its the only reason I strayed from my 20", and look at me now. A fat bastard, 30yr old who works waaaaaaay more than he rides, and who's number one priority is to build a hardtail rig that feels like a 20" bike. :D

A strange little circle we've traveled,
Chris
dude, i think im off MTB. Right on.

Sep 14, 2004
yeah, my bmx weighs around 27 and its easily stronger than most of the 40 lb rigs of the early 90's the real weight savings can be had in the frame, why buy a 7lb frame if a frame that is 5.5lbs and just as strong, can be had for around the same price.
my specs are:
S&M blackbike frame
odyssey race forks
odyssey pro cassette wheelset
odyssey small monolever/evolver brakes
euro profiles, chromoly spindle
odyssey jim c pedals
fsa integrated headset
S&M slam bars(think wide)
some generic heavy cromo post
primo hemoroid seat
maxxis m-tread tires

Morgan

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
cory bohan, allen cooke, dave dillward, colin makay, damn aussies and bikes, now if we could just get our roadies and XC boys and girls to step it up.

(that disaster to 360 tailtap to tailwhip back in by makay was probably the most talked about thing at my park in the past year (browns plains, QLD)