Dumbsville UK

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Seems that the Brits are no smarter than their trans-atlantic cousins:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm

Quote:
More than half the British population does not accept the theory of evolution, according to a survey.
Furthermore, more than 40% of those questioned believe that creationism or intelligent design should be taught in school science lessons.

22% chose creationism
17% opted for intelligent design
48% selected evolution theory
and the rest did not know.

Ah well. I still wonder how you get intelligent design without creation...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Well, Americans (all of you) have no sense of style or taste for fashion, food, drink, architechture, cars and almost uniformly have bad haircuts. So there. :love:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Well, Americans (all of you) have no sense of style or taste for fashion, food, drink, architechture, cars and almost uniformly have bad haircuts. So there. :love:
I guess your dentists probably go through the same amount of schooling as our hair stylists, huh?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Changleen said:
Ok, Australia Jr. :rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
I guess your dentists probably go through the same amount of schooling as our hair stylists, huh?
Yeah, and both courses are still twice as long as the American Auto 'Engineering' class...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
Was taht 100% sarcasm or do you realize how close to the truth you are?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Changleen said:
that's not a knife, it's a spoon.

:)
Oi kahn see eewe've ploid noifey-spooney befaw!

I always think of NZ as the Canada of Australia, myself...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
They're like our younger brothers. We love the little guys but we've sometimes gotta give 'em a thick ear when they get too big for their boots.;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
They're like our younger brothers. We love the little guys but we've sometimes gotta give 'em a thick ear when they get too big for their boots.;)
Are you still entitled to do that, Varve Bouncel-San?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
Seems that the Brits are no smarter than their trans-atlantic cousins:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm

Quote:
More than half the British population does not accept the theory of evolution, according to a survey.
Furthermore, more than 40% of those questioned believe that creationism or intelligent design should be taught in school science lessons.

22% chose creationism
17% opted for intelligent design
48% selected evolution theory
and the rest did not know.

Ah well. I still wonder how you get intelligent design without creation...
It's a shame that a country that puts Darwin on its 10 pound note would show numbers like that. I do have to object to the poll a little bit though, in that the poll offered ID as an alternative to evolution that is separate from Creationism. The pollers gave 2 choices to Creationists (anti-evolution choices) which probably shifted the numbers a little bit. Still, only 48% is dreary.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
It's a shame that a country that puts Darwin on its 10 pound note would show numbers like that. I do have to object to the poll a little bit though, in that the poll offered ID as an alternative to evolution that is separate from Creationism. The pollers gave 2 choices to Creationists (anti-evolution choices) which probably shifted the numbers a little bit. Still, only 48% is dreary.
I can't remember the figures for the US but no doubt they are fairly similar and I wonder if any developed nation is really that different. If you also consider it likely that less developed nations probably have figures that show less belief in evolution then clearly the id/creationists are the majority still.

Oh, and we may put Darwin on our £10 notes but we put the Queen on all of them and she's the head of the Church of England and hence one of God's direct reports...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
I can't remember the figures for the US but no doubt they are fairly similar and I wonder if any developed nation is really that different. If you also consider it likely that less developed nations probably have figures that show less belief in evolution then clearly the id/creationists are the majority still.
Yeah, unfortunately we have similar figures here in the States. Ugh. The percentage here has hovered around 48% for over 10 years now too. That is additionally scary, because it means that people are not being educated on the subject any more than they were over 10 years ago.
Oh, and we may put Darwin on our £10 notes but we put the Queen on all of them and she's the head of the Church of England and hence one of God's direct reports...
True dat, good point.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
Yeah, unfortunately we have similar figures here in the States. Ugh. The percentage here has hovered around 48% for over 10 years now too. That is additionally scary, because it means that people are not being educated on the subject any more than they were over 10 years ago.
I think there is simply inertia surrounding the difficulty people have grasping the idea that extremely complicated organisms can evolve. On a simplistic level it is so much easier and more comforting to belief in a God who created us for a purpose. It may never rise above 50%.

At the risk of antagonising anyone here who does believe in God, I find belief in a diety to be completely irrational. If I meet highly intelligent people who believe in God I find it hard to reconcile that belief with the fact that they are otherwise rational and intelligent.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
I think there is simply inertia surrounding the difficulty people have grasping the idea that extremely complicated organisms can evolve. On a simplistic level it is so much easier and more comforting to belief in a God who created us for a purpose. It may never rise above 50%.

At the risk of antagonising anyone here who does believe in God, I find belief in a diety to be completely irrational. If I meet highly intelligent people who believe in God I find it hard to reconcile that belief with the fact that they are otherwise rational and intelligent.
Personally, I don't find it easier or more comforting, but that's because I've actually read and thought about the Bible. Most people haven't done that, and only believe what they hear from the pulpit. Maybe Dawkins has it 100% right. Maybe we need to attack the roots of religion, get people to think with reason and logic, then teach them about science and evolution.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
:stupid:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
Personally, I don't find it easier or more comforting, but that's because I've actually read and thought about the Bible. Most people haven't done that, and only believe what they hear from the pulpit. Maybe Dawkins has it 100% right. Maybe we need to attack the roots of religion, get people to think with reason and logic, then teach them about science and evolution.
Perhaps that's where Dawkins has got it wrong. Why does religion have to be attacked? That just creates a more entrenched position and polarises opinion further. If there is something I don't like about his writing it is the lack of attempt to reach out to those who don't understand evolution and are afraid of it. He writes brilliantly for those who are coming looking for answers but alienates others perhaps.

There are certainly greater evils in this world than believing in creation. How that belief is manipulated and misused is one, greed another and blind patriotism a third. And that ignores such wondrous bigotry as racism, homophobia, misogyny...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fluff said:
Why does religion have to be attacked?
It needs to be questioned, just like anything else. And the answers need to be examined for proof.

The problem is, to a believer, asking questions and demanding proof is a direct attack on their faith. Hell, to a fervent believer, the act of even looking for proof is the act of an infidel.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
Do you think i'm intelligent?

Cuz I believe in a higher power. Hashem, Zeus, collective consciousness, whatever... I absolutely believe there is more to the universe spiritually than we know.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
Do you think i'm intelligent?

Cuz I believe in a higher power. Hashem, Zeus, collective consciousness, whatever... I absolutely believe there is more to the universe spiritually than we know.
You do come across as intelligent (most of the time :) ) but it still applies.

What is your rationale for believing in a higher power?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont "believe" in a higher power, but I acknowledge its possibility and humanity's need for one.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
You do come across as intelligent (most of the time :) ) but it still applies.

What is your rationale for believing in a higher power?
I've had personal experiences that left me zero doubt that there's more to life than what can be proven or examined. That's all I'll say on the subject :)

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Silver said:
It needs to be questioned, just like anything else. And the answers need to be examined for proof.

The problem is, to a believer, asking questions and demanding proof is a direct attack on their faith. Hell, to a fervent believer, the act of even looking for proof is the act of an infidel.
The only way you will get people to question it is to give them the tools to examine their own value systems. Attacking those systems directly will inevitably lead to entrenchment and an unwillingness to ever admit to being wrong.

Teach them logic, give them information but let them think for themselves and make their own conclusions. That way they have some ownership of their beliefs.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
I've had personal experiences that left me zero doubt that there's more to life than what can be proven or examined. That's all I'll say on the subject :)
Things that could not be coincidence?

My wife was a bit thrown the other day when she was driving along thinking about her mother and our 15 month-old son suddenly said 'Grandma' from the back seat. However, if you consider how many times he says 'Grandma; when he's having a bath or refusing to eat his dinner then there's a fair chance that sooner or later he'll do something like he did.

Many spooky things in life are simple coincidence. In fact it would be weirder to have a life free of such things.