Quantcast

Dumbsville UK

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
Well, you can't blame their interpretation of the bible, so perhaps it was the lack of a handbook that brought them to greater genocide that any other 20th century state that I can think of?
Actually, in the case of the Nazis I CAN blame the Bible, and I will. Jews were reviled all throughout Europe and the States, not just by the Nazis, because of the Bible. Plus, Hitler was Christian.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
LordOpie said:
Have you ever been in love? If the person you love was in mortal danger, would you sacrafice yourself to save them? How is that rational or logical?

Everyone finds their own way to a higher power or they don't. Everyone falls in-love or they don't. I'm not really sure why it needs to be explained.
What Ohio said.

I'll also add that "love" is an emotion that is demonstrable. God is an abstract comment that is by definition not demonstrable. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
Actually, in the case of the Nazis I CAN blame the Bible, and I will. Jews were reviled all throughout Europe and the States, not just by the Nazis, because of the Bible. Plus, Hitler was Christian.
OK then, stick to Stalin and blame him on religon. The thing there is that he was more destructive than Hitler and religion was not involve, illustrating that removal of religion does not make any damn difference.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I'm with Burly on this one. If someone is actually capable of believing "Jesus put the fossils there to test our faith" ... can they really be expected to understand the simple logic of live and let live?
Out of curiosity, how are we defining Higher Power for this discussion? Is it the godlike intelligent designer or the Carl Sagan "we are not alone" kind of higher power?
I once considered myself an athiest, until I understood science. Now I'm agnostic.
Isn't an agnostic 'an atheist who lacks the courage of their convictions.'? (I cannot remember the source of the quote).

What do you mean precisely, you didn't beleive in God but now you're not so sure? Or do you reserve the right to attribute the term god to some long-live, highly intelligent, alien life-form?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
OK then, stick to Stalin and blame him on religon. The thing there is that he was more destructive than Hitler and religion was not involve, illustrating that removal of religion does not make any damn difference.
Saying that removal of religion doesn't make "any damn difference" is already a retreat from the original statement by Burly that without religion things would be 10 times worse, but I don't want to accept that and leave it as is.

1. If older religious despots and regimes had the killing power of Stalin, he would have looked tame comparitively. For example, the crusades would have been even uglier than they were.

2. Religion had already inserted itself as a power figure. For Stalin to become the sole power figure, he had to remove it. If religion had stuck to it's bailiwick and not dabled in politics and power over the people, it would not have been necessary. (Note: I admit that this argument has the smack of "blame the victim" to it, but that's what happens in power strugglesm, plus all is fair in love and war as they say.)

3. I will agree with Chang that blind nationality can be just as bad and just as irrational as religion, which is what Stalin was using to whip up irrational furor.

4. Even so, none of this refutes the fact that religion teaches people to hate and to kill. We will never know what human history would be like without religion, but I think I'm well within the bounds rationality to say that without "holy" books telling us to hate and kill, there would be less of it.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I'm with Burly on this one. If someone is actually capable of believing "Jesus put the fossils there to test our faith" ... can they really be expected to understand the simple logic of live and let live?
Out of curiosity, how are we defining Higher Power for this discussion? Is it the godlike intelligent designer or the Carl Sagan "we are not alone" kind of higher power?
I once considered myself an athiest, until I understood science. Now I'm agnostic.
What science specifically?

How are you defining "agnostic"? Meriam-Webster defines it as:
Main Entry: 1ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at KNOW
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
From http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/agnostic
Are you saying that we can not know whether there is a god or not, which is the actual definition, or are you going off of the popular definition that it means that you believe in some higher power, you just aren't sure what that higher power is?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
Saying that removal of religion doesn't make "any damn difference" is already a retreat from the original statement by Burly that without religion things would be 10 times worse, but I don't want to accept that and leave it as is.

1. If older religious despots and regimes had the killing power of Stalin, he would have looked tame comparitively. For example, the crusades would have been even uglier than they were.

2. Religion had already inserted itself as a power figure. For Stalin to become the sole power figure, he had to remove it. If religion had stuck to it's bailiwick and not dabled in politics and power over the people, it would not have been necessary. (Note: I admit that this argument has the smack of "blame the victim" to it, but that's what happens in power strugglesm, plus all is fair in love and war as they say.)

3. I will agree with Chang that blind nationality can be just as bad and just as irrational as religion, which is what Stalin was using to whip up irrational furor.

4. Even so, none of this refutes the fact that religion teaches people to hate and to kill. We will never know what human history would be like without religion, but I think I'm well within the bounds rationality to say that without "holy" books telling us to hate and kill, there would be less of it.
Well, Shirley's rhetoric is hers not mine.

There is no logic to your argument, simply an opinion. You agree that Soviet Russia purported to be an areligious state, you agree it was no better than a religious state (and worse than many) yet try to argue that religion was still to blame (rather than the cult of personality). I'm confused.

What are you saying, that Stalin's victims would have been worse of had he been Christian?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
Well, Shirley's rhetoric is hers not mine.
1. You assumed Burly's argument by responding to my comment to him (I'm pretty sure Burly is a guy by the way.)

2. Your comment (#62) that started this whole thing was somewhat of a non-sequitor. Having holy books that tell people to murder and commit genocide is not an optimal condition and we would be better off without. Whether Stalin used those books or not doesn't mean that we would be better off with them.
There is no logic to your argument, simply an opinion. You agree that Soviet Russia purported to be an areligious state, you agree it was no better than a religious state (and worse than many) yet try to argue that religion was still to blame (rather than the cult of personality). I'm confused.
There is some opinion to my argument, and I stated that, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm blaming irrationality. Stalin was irrational, as was the nationalism that he fostered in order to whip people up into following his policies of murder. Religion is also irrational and also has a long history of murder and aggression. Regardless of Stalin, I think we would all be better off without this aggressive irrationality called "religion". Of course, I can't back it up because I can't replay history, but I believe I'm on solid ground in saying that having holy books that explicitly tell people to commit murder and genocide is NOT a good thing.
What are you saying, that Stalin's victims would have been worse of had he been Christian?
That is a distinct possibility.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
1. You assumed Burly's argument by responding to my comment to him (I'm pretty sure Burly is a guy by the way.)

2. Your comment (#62) that started this whole thing was somewhat of a non-sequitor. Having holy books that tell people to murder and commit genocide is not an optimal condition and we would be better off without. Whether Stalin used those books or not doesn't mean that we would be better off with them.

There is some opinion to my argument, and I stated that, but perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm blaming irrationality. Stalin was irrational, as was the nationalism that he fostered in order to whip people up into following his policies of murder. Religion is also irrational and also has a long history of murder and aggression. Regardless of Stalin, I think we would all be better off without this aggressive irrationality called "religion". Of course, I can't back it up because I can't replay history, but I believe I'm on solid ground in saying that having holy books that explicitly tell people to commit murder and genocide is NOT a good thing.

Shirley a guy? Surely not?

As you display pretty severe anti-religious views it really does come down to a dogmatic viewpoint ,no?

Old Man G Funk said:
That is a distinct possibility.
As opposed to an indistinct one?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
Shirley a guy? Surely not?
I think so.
As you display pretty severe anti-religious views it really does come down to a dogmatic viewpoint ,no?
Dogmatic? Please tell me that you are being facetious and I'm just not getting it...

From Meriam Webster again (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dogma)
Main Entry: dog·ma
Pronunciation: 'dog-m&, 'däg-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural dogmas also dog·ma·ta /-m&-t&/
Etymology: Latin dogmat-, dogma, from Greek, from dokein to seem -- more at DECENT
1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet b : a code of such tenets <pedagogical dogma> c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
2 : a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church
Now, whether I display anti-religious views that are severe or not, the fact remains that holy books common to the Judeo-Christian-Muslim religion all exhort their followers to violence and hatred. Whatever I think doesn't change that fact. If you think having books that incite people to violence and hatred in the name of something that you yourself called irrational is better than not having that, then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I think my opinion on the matter is on solid ground.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
I think so.

Dogmatic? Please tell me that you are being facetious and I'm just not getting it...

From Meriam Webster again (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dogma)

Now, whether I display anti-religious views that are severe or not, the fact remains that holy books common to the Judeo-Christian-Muslim religion all exhort their followers to violence and hatred. Whatever I think doesn't change that fact. If you think having books that incite people to violence and hatred in the name of something that you yourself called irrational is better than not having that, then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I think my opinion on the matter is on solid ground.
Aye - 1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet b : a code of such tenets <pedagogical dogma> c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds

Your established opinion with no evidence to back it up is that humanity has been worse off with religion that it would have been without it.

If you have some evidence I will reconsider...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fluff said:
Your established opinion with no evidence to back it up is that humanity has been worse off with religion that it would have been without it.

Name a theocracy you'd prefer to live in as opposed to a liberal democracy...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
Aye - 1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet b : a code of such tenets <pedagogical dogma> c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds

What, evidence of god telling his followers to commit genocide, murder, etc.? Open the book to just about any page and you can find something hateful in it. Besides, I admitted it was my opinion.

Are you seriously arguing that belief in irrationality is better than non-belief?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Old Man G Funk said:
What, evidence of god telling his followers to commit genocide, murder, etc.? Open the book to just about any page and you can find something hateful in it. Besides, I admitted it was my opinion.
No, evidence that man would be worse off without religion.

Old Man G Funk said:
Are you seriously arguing that belief in irrationality is better than non-belief?
Non-belief in what? You seem to think that removing one irrational belief system will automatically allow a preferable (and I imagine you are thinking rational) belief system to exist in its place. I am arguing that that is not a logical conclusion.

Oh and I'll check the song of solomon and see how many people I want to smite.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
fluff said:
No, evidence that man would be worse off without religion.
You mean better off, correct?

I don't have evidence of that, no one does. I can look at the teachings of religion and the history of it, however, and make a good case that religion is a greater force for evil than for good.
Non-belief in what? You seem to think that removing one irrational belief system will automatically allow a preferable (and I imagine you are thinking rational) belief system to exist in its place. I am arguing that that is not a logical conclusion.
I'm sorry, what belief system of mine are you referring to? Are you trying to call atheism a belief system? Are you saying it is just as irrational as belief in a deity? Removing Christianity, et. al. will not necessarily entail that people will think rationally, but it will ensure that Christianity no longer can teach people hate.

What you are really arguing is that teaching hate and intolerance would be preferrable to not teaching hate and intolerance. You are arguing that people need to be told that big brother is watching their every move, or else they will resort to killing their fellow man or rape or torture or any manner of other crimes. So, why are there not roving bands of atheists killing and raping. If I need a daddy figure making sure I don't do anything evil, then why am I not out killing people right now instead of typing on this forum?

Also, if you think belief in the supernatural is irrational, then why would you argue that it is preferrable?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh also, my mistake on the Nazi thing, but my point still stands. Governments that dont acknowledge religion or even outlaw them are no better off, if not worse in the examples Ive seen. I cant really quantify "10 times worse" but, IMO, that religion serves as an accepted basis for morality for most people definitely serves for the better on an individual level. Without any basis for morality (dont forget we've already assumed people cant handle simple logic) how do you convince people not to murder one another?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Oh also, my mistake on the Nazi thing, but my point still stands. Governments that dont acknowledge religion or even outlaw them are no better off, if not worse in the examples Ive seen. I cant really quantify "10 times worse" but, IMO, that religion serves as an accepted basis for morality for most people definitely serves for the better on an individual level. Without any basis for morality (dont forget we've already assumed people cant handle simple logic) how do you convince people not to murder one another?
Certainly outlawing religion is anathema to a free society, and I don't advocate that. Governments that don't "acknowledge religion"? Um, our government is supposed to be just that.

The accepted basis for morality is cultural and can exist quite nicely without religion. Do you really think the only thing that is keeping people from going on mass murder sprees is god?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
The accepted basis for morality is cultural and can exist quite nicely without religion. Do you really think the only thing that is keeping people from going on mass murder sprees is god?
Illogical stupid people. ie, the masses? Yes. God or a religion of some sort that requires people be decent or face the consequnces.

And where is this "cultural morality" with no basis of religion that is doing so well in any kind of scale. Im not talking about 12 hippies in Sri Lanka either. I need some historical reference.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Illogical stupid people. ie, the masses? Yes. God or a religion of some sort that requires people be decent or face the consequnces.
But, that's not any majority religion we have in this country. The religions here teach hate, intolerance, genocide, you name it. The real lesson is "Obey god or face the consequences."
And where is this "cultural morality" with no basis of religion that is doing so well in any kind of scale. Im not talking about 12 hippies in Sri Lanka either. I need some historical reference.
Certainly, the fact that we don't have slaves or kill the mentally retarded is a cultural morality that has evolved as our culture has, in spite of religion. We certainly did not get those ideas from the Bible.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
But, that's not any majority religion we have in this country. The religions here teach hate, intolerance, genocide, you name it. The real lesson is "Obey god or face the consequences."

Certainly, the fact that we don't have slaves or kill the mentally retarded is a cultural morality that has evolved as our culture has, in spite of religion. We certainly did not get those ideas from the Bible.
But to adress your points:

Killing the mentally ill, or housing them inhumanely was culturally acceptable for the longest time. I would argue that the values people gained from religion resulted in the turn of the tide. Same for slavery.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
You dodged my question completely.
Excuse me?

Our morals come from society. If we took our morals from the Bible, we would have slaves and would kill off our mentally retarded. The morals we have came from our evolving society in spite of the Bible.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
But to adress your points:

Killing the mentally ill, or housing them inhumanely was culturally acceptable for the longest time. I would argue that the values people gained from religion resulted in the turn of the tide. Same for slavery.
Bull****.

Where did you find any of that in the Bible? And, when did that occur?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Excuse me?

Our morals come from society. If we took our morals from the Bible, we would have slaves and would kill off our mentally retarded. The morals we have came from our evolving society in spite of the Bible.
Adressed that already.
Please quote me a passage from the new testament (the majority of religion in the US, remember) that says kill the retards. Please.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Bull****.

Where did you find any of that in the Bible? And, when did that occur?
Bull****, really? Who said anything about the bible? Im taking collective values gained from religion. Not one specifically.

Youre losing this argument badly, btw.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually, to put this in context. I am not religious. I also am not against killing off retarded babies. I am, however, against slavery.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
Bull****, really? Who said anything about the bible? Im taking collective values gained from religion. Not one specifically.
Collective values which only started to change after Enlightenment thought. Odd that...

Slavery is a bad example, btw. Abolitionists and Slavers both argued from the same book a lot of the time. And Quakers are hardly representative of the modern Christian.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Adressed that already.
Please quote me a passage from the new testament (the majority of religion in the US, remember) that says kill the retards. Please.
NT or OT, both are holy to the Christian (the majority of this country.) I will find it, but I don't have time. I'll get it tomorrow.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:

Youre losing this argument badly, btw.
Values gained from religion? Read the Bible and you will get the values taught by it to the majority of the people of this country. It's hateful propaganda. If you really want to argue that teaching hate somehow makes people better and keeps people in line....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
No no no. The NT says that savage **** in the OT is not good, hence, it is not followed by your "the majority of the country" so you cannot use it.