Quantcast

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
There is an attitude in law enforcement that is you follow someone long enough, a knowledgeable Cop will be able to find enough probable cause to validate a stop...I never saw a thing in this video that gave me enough PC, based on my training and experience, that would make a good stop. Failing to maintain speed, keep the lane, crossing the center line, failing to signal properly...I saw nothing.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Friend of mine who was an Arkansas sheriff's deputy, would regularly stop questionable looking folks saying that there had been a call regarding a stolen car that matched the vehicle they were driving........anything to get them stopped so he could find something to arrest them on.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So the citiznery can monitor the gubbmint, but the gubbmint cant monitor the citizenry? Hmmm...
I missed this earlier. Yes, that's the way it SHOULD work.

The way it actually works is that the government knows who I call, email, and text. They know, from my cell phone, where I drive everyday. They can figure out with a few keystrokes if I slept in last Sunday or not.

I can record video of a police officer doing his job, in public, and have a non-zero chance of getting arrested or assaulted. If I was a little...duskier...that non-zero chance skyrockets.

This is not a two-way street, is what I'm saying. Now, your local beat cop doesn't have access to all that information, but he's still got a hell of a lot more about me than I do about him.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
With technology in small camera technology I foresee police required on person fish eye lenses and recorders. Keeping civilian tax collectors I mean police doing their job better then ever. Why some might ask well any hearsay is no dismissible and only what happened appears before a judge. This can hasten trials. They'll have a box small on their belt transmitting to a collar cam and mic. Starts recording in the beginning of their shift and ends when their gun is turned in. They cannot shut off their camera or have it covered with risk of demerit. What situation can this become a problem with police recording?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So Silver, in your opinion...who, if anyone, is it acceptable for the government to monitor? In the interest of public safety? Anyone?

It happens, and it isnt going away. Penalties for abuse and misuse should be harsh, that is for sure. But retreating from useful technology is not going to happen.

As long as someone videoing Cops does not interfere with Police procedures, I am good with it. There are procedural and tactical techniques that should, in the interest of occifer safety, not be video taped, but they are those that are commonly practiced and executed out of the public eye...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Friend of mine who was an Arkansas sheriff's deputy, would regularly stop questionable looking folks saying that there had been a call regarding a stolen car that matched the vehicle they were driving........anything to get them stopped so he could find something to arrest them on.
A good lawyer would shred him in while establishing probable cause...especially if it comes down to checking phone and /or disptch records if he caught someone genuinely dirty...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So Silver, in your opinion...who, if anyone, is it acceptable for the government to monitor? In the interest of public safety? Anyone?

It happens, and it isnt going away. Penalties for abuse and misuse should be harsh, that is for sure. But retreating from useful technology is not going to happen.

As long as someone videoing Cops does not interfere with Police procedures, I am good with it. There are procedural and tactical techniques that should, in the interest of occifer safety, not be video taped, but they are those that are commonly practiced and executed out of the public eye...
Wall Street.

Seriously though, that's all fine and dandy, until you get to secret courts part, the gag orders, the extra-judicial assassinations and kidnappings. You know, all the fun stuff that makes Russia a borderline terrorist nation and the US a bastion of freedom!

Penalties for abuse and misuse should be harsh. They aren't. They aren't even close. The head of the NSA just lied (under oath?), to Congress a month or two ago, didn't he. That's punishable by...nothing?

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I can record video of a police officer doing his job, in public, and have a non-zero chance of getting arrested or assaulted. If I was a little...duskier...that non-zero chance skyrockets.
i wouldn't be dusky and walking my dog around a cop....if i still wanted the dog.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wall Street.

Seriously though, that's all fine and dandy, until you get to secret courts part, the gag orders, the extra-judicial assassinations and kidnappings. You know, all the fun stuff that makes Russia a borderline terrorist nation and the US a bastion of freedom!

Penalties for abuse and misuse should be harsh. They aren't. They aren't even close. The head of the NSA just lied (under oath?), to Congress a month or two ago, didn't he. That's punishable by...nothing?
Yeah...the double standards are sickening. I really feel it is only a matter of time before our country implodes...

I have, I acknowledge, a very strange alignment regarding these things. I favor alot of it, but only when done within the rules. Problems arise when the ones who make the rules, willingly go around same. There has to be some overwatch on those who seek to overthrow our way of life...but it becomes too easy to abuse, and then we become no better than those who seek to overthrow us. Where does the line get drawn?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Backstory?
If that was my skateboard it would have gone through that ****ers teeth within a minute after my ass hit the pavement...
and have some cop go spelunking in your anus....pass.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wisconsin: Police arrest 30 more singalong protesters at Capitol

It marked the fourth batch of mass arrests in a week, after a crackdown that started Wednesday. No protests or arrests occurred over the weekend, and Monday offered a reprieve as well because the anti-Walker singalong was held outside while a pro-Walker event was conducted inside the Capitol.

Police issued 30 citations largely without incident, though one man was removed from the Capitol by paramedics after he collapsed.

Walker's opponents for 2 1/2 years have been holding what they call the Solidarity Singalong most weekdays over the lunch hour. They have refused to get permits for their gathering, saying the state constitution allows them to peaceably assemble without the government's permission.
Forgot to arrest the people assembled inside, I wonder why?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hernandez-Llach, who had only just graduated from high school, was shot in the chest with the stun gun after police saw him applying paint to a closed McDonald's restaurant.

A friend of Hernandez-Llach told the Miami Herald he saw police officers exchanging high fives and making jokes after they subdued him with the weapon.

Florida teenager Israel Hernandez-Llach dies after stun gun shot

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I love big brother.
So the paranoid hippie pot dealer you knew in college was right all along: The feds really were after him. In the latest post-Snowden bombshell about the extent and consequences of government spying, we learned from Reuters reporters this week that a secret branch of the DEA called the Special Operations Division – so secret that nearly everything about it is classified, including the size of its budget and the location of its office — has been using the immense pools of data collected by the NSA, CIA, FBI and other intelligence agencies to go after American citizens for ordinary drug crimes. Law enforcement agencies, meanwhile, have been coached to conceal the existence of the program and the source of the information by creating what’s called a “parallel construction,” a fake or misleading trail of evidence. So no one in the court system – not the defendant or the defense attorney, not even the prosecutor or the judge – can ever trace the case back to its true origins.

On one hand, we all knew more revelations were coming, and the idea that the government would go after drug suspects with the same dubious extrajudicial methods used to pursue terrorism suspects is a classic and not terribly surprising example of mission creep. Both groups have been held up as bogeymen for years, in order to scare the public into accepting ever nastier and more repressive laws. This gives government officials another chance to talk to us in their stern grown-up voices about how this isn’t civics class, and sometimes they have to bend the rules to catch Really Bad People.

On the other hand, this is a genuinely sinister turn of events with a whiff of science-fiction nightmare, one that has sounded loud alarm bells for many people in the mainstream legal world. Nancy Gertner, a Harvard Law professor who spent 18 years as a federal judge and cannot be accused of being a radical, told Reuters she finds the DEA story more troubling than anything in Edward Snowden’s NSA leaks. It’s the first clear evidence that the “special rules” and disregard for constitutional law that have characterized the hunt for so-called terrorists have crept into the domestic criminal justice system on a significant scale. “It sounds like they are phonying up investigations,” she said. Maybe this is how a police state comes to America: Not with a bang, but with a parallel construction.
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/the_nsa_dea_police_state_tango/

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nearly a month ago, a Toronto Police officer named James Forcillo shot 18-year-old Sammy Yatim nine times (six bullets were fired when Sammy was already down on the ground). Today, news broke that Forcillo will face second-degree murder charges. This comes as a welcome development to many people—including the Yatim family, who sent Sammy to Canada from his native, violence-ridden Syria five years ago to live a better, safer life
http://www.vice.com/read/officer-james-forcillo-has-been-charged-with-second-degree-murder-for-killing-sammy-yatim?utm_source=vicefbus

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I once had a friend getting his college bedroom flipped from campus police. In the hall I hollared F T P using words phuck the and police. They wasn't happy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Firefighter says he waved at police and was handcuffed and threatened - Incident occurred during bicycle ride Tuesday afternoon

“I don’t want this man to lose his job or weeks of pay, but I have to look at it from the standpoint of I have a family to think about. I shouldn’t feel bad for standing up for my own rights,” he said. “The fact that I am a firefighter or preacher doesn’t make a difference. All anybody wants is to be treated like a human being.”

Last edited: