Quantcast

Enertia Bike, the electric motorcycle

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Jackal is awesome. Put 26" wheels on it and hit the trails!

The supermoto is $7200.

AC-M-48
Power:
48 Volts/ 33Ah
350 Amp AC Drive
Speed:
Geared to 60 mph
Brakes:
Dual Hydraulic Disks
with regenerative braking
Seat sits 36" from ground
Total Length: 78"

<edit> Here's the details on the GPR:

AC-GPR-48

Power: 18 Peak Horsepower 48 volts/44ah
350 amp AC drive
Speed: Geared to 62 mph
Range: 20+ miles
Brakes: Dual Hydraulic Disks with regenerative braking
Charge Time: 3.5 hours
Seat sits 30" from ground
Total Length: 74"

This model price: $7200
AC-GPR-84 model price: $8000
84V/80mph

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Lets not forget the production, recycling and replacement costs for the batteries.
That's why I won't buy a hybrid.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lets not forget the production, recycling and replacement costs for the batteries.
That's why I won't buy a hybrid.
i'm not sure what these homebrew companies do with regard to this, but in the production car world toyota handles all of the recycling, gratis:

http://www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html

toyota.com said:
Q: What would it cost to replace a complete battery pack?

GS: Less than $3000, plus labor.

Q: How long is the warranty?

GS: The high-voltage batteries are warranted for eight years or 100,000 miles, and under California regulations the battery warranty extends to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

[...]

Q: Are hybrid batteries recyclable?

GS: Absolutely. In fact, Toyota pays a bounty to dealers who recover them from damaged vehicles. Additionally, our engineers are studying the possibility of remanufacturing these batteries.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy Crap!

Kevin Alsop and his crew at Big Bear Choppers in Big Bear City, CA teamed up with a Van Nuys, CA company called Hybrid Technologies.

Now you&#8217;re probably saying, wait a minute, there&#8217;s a big polished V-twin motor sitting in that chopper. And you&#8217;d be right. &#8220;That&#8217;s a 124-inch S&S that we gutted,&#8221; Kevin said. &#8220;Its insides were replaced with an electric motor from Hybrid Technologies.&#8221;

The electric motor drives a BDL primary which drives a six- speed Baker transmission. Asked how fast it would go, Kevin replied, &#8220;80 mile an hour.&#8221; And what does it sound like? &#8220;Shhhhhhhhh,&#8221; said Kevin. &#8220;It&#8217;s really weird when you&#8217;re riding it, because all you hear is the chain and the road noise coming off the tire. When a car comes up beside you, it&#8217;s freaky. It&#8217;s like riding a bicycle at 80 mph. It&#8217;s even stranger to see the CHP guys in their blue and gold helmets riding this thing. They gave me a CHP helmet with a microphone and I&#8217;m riding the thing down the state highway with all the CHP brass cheering and clapping.&#8221; And yes, while Kevin was having a chat with the Commissioner of the CHP, Gov. Arnold who was nearby saw the bike and was heard to comment, &#8220;Cool chopper.&#8221;

The hybrid engine was bolted into a stretched and widened BBC Sled frame to accommodate the six 48-volt lithium cell batteries. &#8220;The batteries should allow the bike to run six hours at 80 mph. There&#8217;s a cord and you just plug it into the wall for a recharge,&#8221;

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i call complete BS on the "6 hours at 80 mph" offhand range for that chopper. 480 miles? ahhahaha. wow. i don't think so.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i call complete BS on the "6 hours at 80 mph" offhand range for that chopper. 480 miles? ahhahaha. wow. i don't think so.
I wonder the same thing, I think they transposed the charge time. The Hybrid Tech site states a 40+ mile range with 6 hour charge time. At a half ton, it's a beast. But it's a sexy beast! :D

http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/products/motorcycles/chp_chopper

Performance
Speed: up to 50 mph (80 km/h)
Acceleration: 0-30 mph in 5.2 seconds
Range: 40+ miles (64+km)
Charge Time: 6 hours (110-120 VAC or 220-440 VAC) for full charge
Cycle Life: 1500+ full charges

Powertrain
Electric Motor: 72 V brush motor
Batteries: 42Ah maintenance-free lithium ion packs
Battery Management System: Proprietary HT design

Weights & Measures
Weight: 1100 lbs (499 kg)
Length: 112 inches (2845 mm)
Width: 34 inches (864 mm)
Height: 48 inches (1219 mm)

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
i'm excited. commuting and running errands around town essentially for free, and with minimal impact, would be most excellent. one could argue that i could be doing this on a bicycle right this minute, but i'm simply not that tough when it gets to be in the 30s outside...
In theory, I love the idea of an off-grid motorcycle, but the Enertia just doesn't do it for me. To transcend yuppie toy status, it needs to effectively fill the void between riding my bike and borrowing a car, and for that it's missing crucial functionality:

- Where's my passenger's seat? A bicycle doesn't cut it for taking out a date or picking up a friend, but neither does this.

- How about storage? Panniers? A porteur rack? Anything for hauling a load when I'm too tired or not inclined to get sweaty?

- Longer range...I'm already willing to ride up to 30ish miles. I'd love to see that doubled.

- The price may accurately reflect their costs, but it still needs to come waaay down. I could have a custom steel frame built around a Stokemonkey
rolling on 38+ mm rims, with a Schmidt generator hub and Big Apples, and kitted out like a whizzer , for a third the price, with more style, less weight and probably better range (no highway use though.)

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd love to see an enduro style e-bike with portable, deployable solar panels for untethered dirtroad touring or accessing a backcountry off-grid homestead. :)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I remember using a gas powered scooter around BigBear a bunch of years back and with the low oxygen density it was constantly coughing it's guts out and had no umph what-so-ever.

This would have been a better technology.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In theory, I love the idea of an off-grid motorcycle, but the Enertia just doesn't do it for me. To transcend yuppie toy status, it needs to effectively fill the void between riding my bike and borrowing a car, and for that it's missing crucial functionality:

- Where's my passenger's seat? A bicycle doesn't cut it for taking out a date or picking up a friend, but neither does this.

- How about storage? Panniers? A porteur rack? Anything for hauling a load when I'm too tired or not inclined to get sweaty?

- Longer range...I'm already willing to ride up to 30ish miles. I'd love to see that doubled.

- The price may accurately reflect their costs, but it still needs to come waaay down. I could have a custom steel frame built around a Stokemonkey
rolling on 38+ mm rims, with a Schmidt generator hub and Big Apples, and kitted out like a whizzer , for a third the price, with more style, less weight and probably better range (no highway use though.)

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd love to see an enduro style e-bike with portable, deployable solar panels for untethered dirtroad touring or accessing a backcountry off-grid homestead. :)
passenger seat: acknowledged shortcoming (and limited by batteries -- you think they suck for one person, wait until you double the load...), and Brammo is working on it.

storage: yeah, i had the same thought. would be easy to rig up some panniers. non-issue.

longer range: while i'm certainly capable of riding a century, the point is that i'm not willing to ride 15 miles each way in to work. moreover, i simply don't have that kind of time: not only is riding significantly slower, but add in the time to change, +/- shower and it becomes non-feasible for a great many people.

a Stokemonkey setup is intriguing, but it's not the same class of vehicle. i realize that's your point, but if i'm going to be commuting on this in the dark after being up for 30 hours i want a real lighting system, and don't want to pedal. (sure, you could get more range... if you pedaled more. :P)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another point with regard to the difference between a stokemonkey and a "legit" motorcycle: i would commute on a motorcycle if and only if i could wear full leathers (synthetic, whatever), boots, gloves, and a full-face helmet. i like my skin, and i like being protected by the elements. riding a bike in such an outfit wouldn't be possible.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
another point with regard to the difference between a stokemonkey and a "legit" motorcycle: i would commute on a motorcycle if and only if i could wear full leathers (synthetic, whatever), boots, gloves, and a full-face helmet. i like my skin, and i like being protected by the elements. riding a bike in such an outfit wouldn't be possible.
I don't wear leather, too damn hot. But I do wear a Ti lined textile jacket and kevlar lined jeans. I wear my DH gloves unless it's cold, then I wear my heavy ones.

Light weight AND solid protection. I got all my gear on ebay (Icon, last seasons model) for $120. That's less than a friend paid for just his jacket.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't wear leather, too damn hot. But I do wear a Ti lined textile jacket and kevlar lined jeans. I wear my DH gloves unless it's cold, then I wear my heavy ones.

Light weight AND solid protection. I got all my gear on ebay (Icon, last seasons model) for $120. That's less than a friend paid for just his jacket.
the point is that you couldn't comfortably wear that gear while riding a bike (or moped, like the stokemonkey) over 20 miles...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool. install a hydrogen station in my neighborhood and give me an MSRP and then we'll talk.

:D

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Its like a bull without balls...
I think thats called a steer.

I call BS on battery powered electric **** and the fact they are promoting a smaller eco footprint.

How many barrels of oil goes into all the plastic.

What are you going to do with those batteries when yo have to replace them every year? Probably just throw em in a dumpster.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I call BS on battery powered electric **** and the fact they are promoting a smaller eco footprint.

How many barrels of oil goes into all the plastic.

What are you going to do with those batteries when yo have to replace them every year? Probably just throw em in a dumpster.
Look at the lifespan of the batteries. Then look at how the companies that offer them also offer a recycle program. Then look at the cost saved, then consider trying to form an opinion.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
cool. install a hydrogen station in my neighborhood and give me an MSRP and then we'll talk.

:D
I just think that's a sexy beast. It might be a serious reality in a year or two.

I found it while reading an article about Jay Leno's E85 Corvette (600hp). I want to build an E85 Cadillac CTS-V (same drivetrain as the Vette) now that there are 3 E85 stations within 10 miles of my house.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Look at the lifespan of the batteries. Then look at how the companies that offer them also offer a recycle program. Then look at the cost saved, then consider trying to form an opinion.
I've already formed an opinion, People actually have to use the recycling center. If people want to spend 15k on a plastic underpowered glorified scooter thats great, I'm all for funding technological improvements. Most people don't have a clue regarding the impact of batteries on the environment though.

I'll stick with my Suzuki 250, one 8 dollar tank of fuel per 1.5 weeks, I can carry a passenger, accelerate uphill. I'll burn a relatively small amount of petro over the life of the bike but I would be willing to bet it's environmental impact is much lower than any of these so called eco-bikes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
People actually have to use the recycling center. If people want to spend 15k on a plastic underpowered glorified scooter thats great, I'm all for funding technological improvements. Most people don't have a clue regarding the impact of batteries on the environment.
Evidently including you - have you looked into Toyota's extensive worldwide battery program before?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know what types of batteries hybrids are using but Lithium Ion batteries can be fairly non toxic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've already formed an opinion, People actually have to use the recycling center. If people want to spend 15k on a plastic underpowered glorified scooter thats great, I'm all for funding technological improvements. Most people don't have a clue regarding the impact of batteries on the environment though.

I'll stick with my Suzuki 250, one 8 dollar tank of fuel per 1.5 weeks, I can carry a passenger, accelerate uphill. I'll burn a relatively small amount of petro over the life of the bike but I would be willing to bet it's environmental impact is much lower than any of these so called eco-bikes.
the studies have been done, and you are dead wrong.

http://www.teslamotors.com/efficiency/well_to_wheel.php

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/twentyfirstcenturycar.pdf <-- ugh, Tesla has taken it down for updates. let me try to find another host for it. ok, here's google's text-only cache: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:ByK6R-aQmEMJ:www.teslamotors.com/display_data/twentyfirstcenturycar.pdf+tesla+21st+century+car&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

read the Tesla 21st century car whitepaper for methodology. it suffices to say that "well to wheels" efficiency encompasses generating, converting, and transporting whatever powers the vehicle's propulsion system.

teslawhitepaperlinkedabove said:
The electric car, once the &#8220;zero-emissions&#8221; darling of environmentalists, is sometimes maligned as an &#8220;emissions-elsewhere&#8221;
vehicle, since the electricity to charge its batteries must be generated in electrical generation plants that produce emissions.
This is a reasonable point, but we must then ask how much pollution an electric car produces per mile &#8211; accounting for all
emissions, starting from the gas or oil well where the source fuel is extracted, all the way to the final consumption of
electricity by the car&#8217;s motor. When we work through the numbers, we find that the electric car is significantly more efficient
and pollutes less than all alternatives.
the first image is from Tesla, illustrating how the Tesla has higher well to wheels efficiency than a Prius, which is several times that of a car (and higher than that of your motorcycle).

the second image, same methodology but extended by Brammo to include the Enertia, shows the Enertia to double again the well to wheels efficiency of the Prius. the faint 0.86 and 1.9 for the standard car and motorcycle, respectively, represent projections for how efficient they could become with proper application of technology.

finally, not directly on the above topic but related (especially since both you and Westy brought up the fact that regular 4-stroke motorcycles get good fuel economy and are cheaper at the outset), the emissions regulations for motorcycles are much more lax than those for passenger cars. i don't have a hard citation for this info, but here it is

http://www.enertiabike.com/content/view/9/

Modern motorcycles currently produce up to 15 times the emissions per mile as the average new car or light-duty truck!
Cliffs Notes: gas powered 4-stroke motorcycles have lower wells to wheels efficiency AND produce an order of magnitude more emissions per mile than a modern car. for me, they don't present a viable alternative -- i'd rather drive a prius than a SV650 given the above.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Evidently including you - have you looked into Toyota's extensive worldwide battery program before?
http://www.hybridcars.com/faq.html#battery

"Nickel metal hydride batteries are benign. They can be fully recycled," says Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal. Toyota and Honda say that they will recycle dead batteries and that disposal will pose no toxic hazards. Toyota puts a phone number on each battery, and they pay a $200 "bounty" for each battery to help ensure that it will be properly recycled.

There's no definitive word on replacement costs because they are almost never replaced. According to Toyota, since the Prius first went on sale in 2000, they have not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.
http://www.hybridcars.com/battery-toxicity.html

Toyota and Honda place decals with a toll-free number on their hybrid battery packs. Toyota offers a $200 bounty to ensure that every battery comes back to the company. In a press release, Toyota states, "Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled." Honda collects the battery and transfers it to a preferred recycler to follow their prescribed process: disassembling and sorting the materials; shredding the plastic material; recovering and processing the metal; and neutralizing the alkaline material before sending it to a landfill.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Seriously you want to compare a 100k car with a 15k electric moto? or a 1500.00 dollar 4stroke motorcycle. You should find something else to cut and paste to support that weak sauce. Don't believe everything a MFG constitutes as factual information. Plus what do those charts tell me? Whats the average motorcycle and what geographic area is the average calculated?

Some random quote about motorcyles and admissions don't bring anything to the debate, if you are making comparisons the data presented must represent the objects being compared.

Concerning the Enertiabike What's the service life of it's major components? I would hazard a guess this thing won't last 6-10 years before it needs to be scrapped, or at least a complete replacement of the major components related to the drivetrain$$$$. How much is it going to cost every three yrs to replace the batteries? Who's going to perform the service? It's hard enough to find someone I trust to work on my bicycle.

I still maintain that my 17yr old 4 stroke 250 over the term of it's usefull life leaves a smaller eco footprint than the scooter. Some random quote about motorcyles and emissions don't bring anything to the debate, if you are making comparisons, the data presented must represent the objects being compared.

My 250 also has the advantage of being a more practical vehicle. Due to it's low cost, the ability to carry a heavier load, and the availability of technicians to service it when it isn't working properly. Plus there is very little un-recyclable plastic on it, due to it being mostly metal it will be far easier to dispose of once it is no longer practical to maintain or overhaul. Currently my ride is 17yrs old and will go several more before I even have to have any sort of engine rebuild.

I don't need to know everything about electric vehicles out there to have formed a solid opinion that electric vehicles aren't the best solution especially when compared the American demographic that is traveling on roads designed for cars traveling 60+ MPH and wouldn't recycle a pop can if thier lives depended on it. Believe it or don't but batteries end up in the landfill every day, and If you live in WV you'll find them in our rivers too.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Toshi,

Toyota is only one MFG. Toyota isn't making/ supplying the batteries for all electric vehicles are they?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi,

Toyota is only one MFG. Toyota isn't making/ supplying the batteries for all electric vehicles are they?
if you reread the quotes you'll see honda listed there, too. they're the only major manufacturers of true (as opposed to "mild" which just shut off engines instead of idling) hybrids at this time, iirc. besides, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence -- do your own homework if there's a specific manufacturer you're worried about.

Seriously you want to compare a 100k car with a 15k electric moto? or a 1500.00 dollar 4stroke motorcycle. You should find something else to cut and paste to support that weak sauce. Don't believe everything a MFG constitutes as factual information. Plus what do those charts tell me? Whats the average motorcycle and what geographic area is the average calculated?

Some random quote about motorcyles and admissions don't bring anything to the debate, if you are making comparisons the data presented must represent the objects being compared.
i agree that it was a weak citation being from an interested party, and Brammo really should do a better job of citing their own references. i did 30 seconds of google hunting and came up with this, straight from the horse's mouth, the EPA:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:7NauriYcR2MJ:www.epa.gov/otaq/////regs/nonroad/mcmarine/proposal/f02010.pdf+motorcycle+emissions&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

epa.gov said:
Are motorcycles a less-polluting alternative to cars
and SUVs?

No. In fact, motorcycles produce more harmful emissions per mile than a
car, or even a large SUV. The current federal motorcycle standard for
hydrocarbon emissions is about 90 times the hydrocarbon standard for
today’s passenger cars. Although many of today’s motorcycles will
actually meet the current California standards, the California hydrocar-
bon standard is still 18 to 24 times the current federal passenger car
limit, depending on the displacement of the motorcycle engine.
Beginning in 2004, all passenger cars, light trucks, and SUVs will be
required to meet even more stringent standards. When these standards
become effective, new SUVs will be meeting hydrocarbon standards
about 95 percent cleaner than today’s typical motorcycle.
Concerning the Enertiabike What's the service life of it's major components? I would hazard a guess this thing won't last 6-10 years before it needs to be scrapped, or at least a complete replacement of the major components related to the drivetrain$$$$. How much is it going to cost every three yrs to replace the batteries? Who's going to perform the service? It's hard enough to find someone I trust to work on my bicycle.
how again did you come up with this 6-10 yr figure? who said anything about replacing batteries every 3 yrs? see a few posts up, where toyota reports that they haven't had to replace any batteries on Priuses (prii?) since their introduction in 2000. the duty cycle of hybrids vs. full electric is different, and so is Nimh vs. Li-ion but the point still stands.

while i agree that questions about service, availability and the like must be answered, pulling numbers out of your ass does not aid your point. (with regard to my own personal situation i'm hoping that i'll end up in seattle or portland, so in the worst case Brammo itself is in Ashland, oregon, not to mention that i'd have public transit to fall back upon.)

I still maintain that my 17yr old 4 stroke 250 over the term of it's usefull life leaves a smaller eco footprint than the scooter. Some random quote about motorcyles and emissions don't bring anything to the debate, if you are making comparisons, the data presented must represent the objects being compared.
see above, with regard to motorcycle emissions standards dating from 1984: the objects being compared are equivalent (assuming a bike from now until then) since the standards haven't been changed. time to find a new point to harp on.

My 250 also has the advantage of being a more practical vehicle. Due to it's low cost, the ability to carry a heavier load, and the availability of technicians to service it when it isn't working properly. Plus there is very little un-recyclable plastic on it, due to it being mostly metal it will be far easier to dispose of once it is no longer practical to maintain or overhaul. Currently my ride is 17yrs old and will go several more before I even have to have any sort of engine rebuild.

I don't need to know everything about electric vehicles out there to have formed a solid opinion that electric vehicles aren't the best solution especially when compared the American demographic that is traveling on roads designed for cars traveling 60+ MPH and wouldn't recycle a pop can if thier lives depended on it. Believe it or don't but batteries end up in the landfill every day, and If you live in WV you'll find them in our rivers too.
i won't argue that it's cheaper for you to ride your 250cc, or that you can do more with it. that's not my point. my point, instead, is that an electric motorcycle as exemplified by the Enertia is much more environmentally sound to run, taking into account power production, transport, everything.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you taken your bike through an emissions test? I know in Oregon, bikes aren't required to go through DEQ, so I have never tested my bike. But I wouldn't be surprised to see that my Toyota truck has a lot lower emissions than my bike.

Now you could say that since my bike gets 45mpg vs. the truck getting 17mpg that the bike is a better choice overall. But if I put more miles on the bike than the truck, which is doing more damage?

The point of this thread was that there are viable options. If someone is going to go through the effort and expense to purchase an electric vehicle, I would bet hard $$$ that they are going to recycle as well.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi, Toyota was the only one doing two-mode, honda's hybrids are better than some of the other mild hybrids but not as good as Toyota's.

GM is now currently making two mode hybrids and will have plugin hybrid again soon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
with regard to the "3 yr" alleged battery life, Tesla for one claims their Li-ion pack will last 100,000 miles. i'm not sure what new devilry they've employed and how the Brammo Li-ion phosphate pack compares, but i think it's safe to assume that battery longevity will be superior to that of 1st generation Apple iPods :D

syadasti, good to know. do note that honda's Insight still beats the Prius in mileage, albeit at the price of practicality. i'm eagerly awaiting the Chevy Volt, too, assuming that's the plug-in you're mentioning.

down the road it'd be nice to have a 1.5 vehicle household:

2 commuters, me 'n the gf

Chevy Volt or plug-in Prius whenever that should emerge from Toyota for her to commute in and for the tasks that require cargo room or long distances

electric motorcycle for me to commute in and do errands about town

Flexcar/Zipcar membership for the odd times when two cars are necessary