Quantcast

Enertia Bike, the electric motorcycle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
very cool, even if its range is only 10 miles on the batteries alone. the 45 mile battery-only range forecast for the Chevy Volt (and, not incidentally, for the Enertia bike) seems much more livable day to day...
10 mile range is about all I would need for 70% of my trips.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
10 mile range is about all I would need for 70% of my trips.
My wife and I were looking at her miles last night. She has only driven a little over 3500 miles this year. She drives for work, but all the locations are within a 15 mile radius from our house.

Depending on what the charge time is, this could be viable for her.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
how again did you come up with this 6-10 yr figure? who said anything about replacing batteries every 3 yrs? see a few posts up, where toyota reports that they haven't had to replace any batteries on Priuses (prii?) since their introduction in 2000. the duty cycle of hybrids vs. full electric is different, and so is Nimh vs. Li-ion but the point still stands.

while i agree that questions about service, availability and the like must be answered, pulling numbers out of your ass does not aid your point. (with regard to my own personal situation i'm hoping that i'll end up in seattle or portland, so in the worst case Brammo itself is in Ashland, oregon, not to mention that i'd have public transit to fall back upon.)

see above, with regard to motorcycle emissions standards dating from 1984: the objects being compared are equivalent (assuming a bike from now until then) since the standards haven't been changed. time to find a new point to harp on.

i won't argue that it's cheaper for you to ride your 250cc, or that you can do more with it. that's not my point. my point, instead, is that an electric motorcycle as exemplified by the Enertia is much more environmentally sound to run, taking into account power production, transport, everything.
Remember I'm not discussing the Prius, Accord. I am not disputing the efforts they've put in battery recycling. It's the small MFG's that don't have the capital to pour into greener manufacturing.

My point is, this thing won't be that notable of a difference in the impact commuters are creating. That bike is a toy. The money would be better spent on a contribution to public transportation. You'd be better off with a Vespa scooter. With some money left over to replace all your light bulbs with energy efficient ones.

As for the 6 to 10 year figure it didn't come out of my ass it cam from the enertia specs that says it has 1600 charge cycles, So I divided 350 days into and doubled it to be optimistic. All batteries wear out. The batteries on the Enertia aren't Prius batteries

As far as the ECO footprint how much of the enertia can be recycled at the end of it's service life? Where is the electricity coming from to charge that bike? mostly Coal fired powerplants, Nukes, and some hydro, none of those are good sources considering the long term enviro impacts. Remember it isn't a Hybrid.

Even though you presented some motorcycle data it still doesn't show me my morning commute produces more pollutants than driving my car with no catalytic converter. If I burn 2 gallons of gas per week on the bike as opposed to 10 gallons in the car for the same commute, I'd be hard pressed to believe I'm leaving more pollutants than my 85 4cyl w/o a catalytic converter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok, point taken about smaller manufacturers and their unproven track record with recycling. condemning them because they haven't had a chance to prove themselves is silly, however.

will me as a single commuter ditching a single RX-8 for a single Enertia make a difference directly? no, any individual's contribution is negligible. (i don't think adding $12k to the public transit system would make a measurable difference either. that kind of money certainly doesn't sway policy.) however, by riding such a thing maybe i'd increase others' awareness -- as jimmydean said, this thread and its ongoing discussion serves to show that alternatives are becoming viable. awareness leads to demand leads to mass production leads to commercial viability leads to non-negligible differences.

thanks for explaining your math, but i think you're wrong. without looking into it too closely (what cells are they using? etc.) 1600 charge cycles may be a misnomer of sorts: typically that term is used to describe the longevity when discharged fully, and that many more charge cycles are possible when full discharge isn't required (ie, you use half its energy then plug it back in).

it's quite possible that either: a) they designed the bike such that the 45 mile range doesn't result in full discharge, or b) typical trips would be less than the full, 45 mile range. either way, or if both were true, one would see more use than you'd estimate even with your 2x fudge factor.

i don't know how much of the Enertia can be recycled, but neither do you. moot point.

where's the electricity coming from? again, i invite you to read the tesla white paper. this is all covered in there. see page 5: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:ByK6R-aQmEMJ:www.teslamotors.com/display_data/twentyfirstcenturycar.pdf+tesla+21st+century+car&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

finally, you're indeed correct that your 17 year old 250cc motorcycle's emissions are probably on the same order of magnitude than your pre-catalytic converter 1985 4 cylinder car, but i fail to see your point: you're spewing out all manner of junk in either of those things. congratulations.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
regardless of the white papers corporate induced facts. The electricity is still primarily Coal fired powerplants, come floats some WV rivers with me and you'll reconsider leaving your lights on after a while.

As for emissions Congratulations goes both ways unless you walk to work. One 30 mile trip in an SUV is almost 2 weeks of commuting fuel for my 250. I'd still be willing to bet I could manipulate data that says my gas powered 250 is greener than the enertia scooter toy thing.

And I can't believe you guys are saying a 10 mile range is cool! What happens when the hospital is 15 miles away and your kid needs to get in the ER for stitches? Practicality anyone?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And I can't believe you guys are saying a 10 mile range is cool! What happens when the hospital is 15 miles away and your kid needs to get in the ER for stitches? Practicality anyone?
Its GM's first dual mode plug-in hybrid - it still has an engine. You obviously know nothing of hybrids so why are you even still posting:busted:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As for emissions Congratulations goes both ways unless you walk to work. One 30 mile trip in an SUV is almost 2 weeks of commuting fuel for my 250. I'd still be willing to bet I could manipulate data that says my gas powered 250 is greener than the enertia scooter toy thing.
well then, manipulate away. you've already shown a command of division and multiplication, and i'm expecting great things of you. :D

and, for the record, i commute to work on the bus (in the winter -- it's a diesel-electric hybrid, btw since seattle is cool like that) or by road bike in the other seasons. i don't think i'll end up in seattle for the next 5 years, thus the discussion of a commuter vehicle.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Aptera's Super-MPG Electric Typ-1 e: Exclusive Video Test Drive - Under $30K 300mpg 120mile range plug-in

300 Miles Per Gallon! Aptera Motors Unveils Ultra Efficient All-Electric and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles for Under $30K 300 Miles Per Gallon! Aptera Motors Unveils Ultra Efficient All-Electric and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles for Under $30K

CARLSBAD, Calif

CA-APTERA

Today, Aptera officially unveiled two vehicles that could change the Future of automotive design. Aptera's Typ-1 is a radically different vehicle designed to marry advanced aerodynamics with light-weight composite technology creating an incredibly powerful, yet extremely safe vehicle that is a joy to drive -- even for the most performance-minded individuals. The Aptera Typ-1 will be available in all-electric and hybrid models for less than $30,000, the electric version slated for delivery in 2008 with the hybrid model to follow.

The all-electric model has a range of 120 miles. The plug-in series hybrid has achieved more than 300 miles per gallon with a range of more than 600 miles. Both versions are loaded with safety features.

?Unveiling the Aptera Typ-1 represents a pivotal point in automotive history as we mark the transition from research and development to manufacturing the most energy efficient vehicle with a price tag to fit almost any budget,? said Co-Founder & CEO, Steve Fambro.

Through extensive fluid dynamics modeling and materials engineering, the Aptera team has created the most efficient, lowest-drag shape that can surround two occupants side-by-side, and has made safety a priority in the design. Additionally, the car features three wheels, making it eligible for most carpool lanes, even with only one person in the vehicle.

The car has "two plus one" seating offering ample room for driver and passenger while an infant seat (for newborns to age three) can be located in the middle behind them. Storage room is also generous with enough space to fit 15 bags of groceries, two full-size golf club bags or even a couple of seven foot surf boards with the infant seat removed.

The Aptera Typ-1 is loaded with safety features. They include a front crumple zone, a front end that re-directs crash energy in a frontal impact, steel and composite side and rollover protection as well as driver and passenger side airbags.

The Aptera Typ-1 is available in two models:

All Electric - This model is powered exclusively with batteries and will get someone around town for approximately 120 miles depending on driving conditions. At night, simply plug the Aptera into any standard 110-volt outlet, and in just a few hours, the vehicle will be fully charged and ready for another 120 miles.

Plug-In Hybrid - The Aptera hybrid is powered by an electric drive train but is also assisted by a fuel-efficient gasoline-powered generator, which stretches the range considerably. In typical driving, the hybrid Aptera may achieve over 300 miles per gallon, a range far beyond any other passenger vehicle available today.

The Aptera Typ-1 also offers features that typically are not found on any vehicle, much less a hybrid or all-electric model. Solar cells embedded under the roof operate an always-on climate control system, ensuring the interior never gets too hot or too cold. The dashboard display and infotainment system is controlled by an in-vehicle computer, which also controls the ?Eyes Forward? vision system. By replacing the side mirrors with embedded cameras that display a 180-degree rear view in the front of the instrument panel, Eyes Forward gives the driver complete situational awareness without taking their eyes off of the road.

Other standard features include:

* Driver and passenger side airbags
* Energy absorbing and impact deflecting passenger safety cell
* Advanced drive computer with GPS navigation, CD/MP3/DVD player, XM satellite radio
* Large rear view camera and complete vehicle diagnostic system
* LED interior and exterior lighting for maximum energy efficiency
* An RFID (Radio Frequency ID) ? an automatic identification method so a driver never has to pull out their keys to enter or start their Aptera
* USB port for powering a laptop or charging an MP3 player and other mobile devices

Fully refundable reservation deposits of $500 are now being accepted from California residents on the Aptera website (http://www.aptera.com). The company will initially deliver vehicles in Southern California, then in northern California and to other regions nationwide.

Initial response has been tremendous; validating our belief that future-minded consumers want a vehicle that is sleek, safe, eco-conscious and affordable. Through word-of-mouth alone, we?ve already received more than 400 pre-sale deposits,? added Fambro.

Aptera is backed by Idealab and Esenjay Investments with initial financing allocated to building the Typ-1 all-electric and plug-in hybrid prototypes. Aptera is currently raising additional capital to begin manufacturing.

About Aptera

Aptera, Greek for ?Wingless Flight,? delivers on its name with a radically different vehicle designed to marry advanced aerodynamics with light-weight composite technology to create an incredibly powerful, yet extremely safe vehicle that is a joy to drive. The Aptera Typ-1 will be available in all-electric and hybrid models for less than $30,000. The all-electric model has a range of about 120 miles. The plug-in series hybrid has achieved more than 300 miles per gallon with a range of more than 600 miles. Both versions are loaded with safety features. Aptera is backed by Idealab and Esenjay Petroleum and is headquartered in Carlsbad, California. www.aptera.com

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Toshi,
The Valence Battery chemistry could well last 100,000 miles, but their Battery Management units are notoriously horrible. They, for good reason, tend to pop cells at the slightest overload and shut down. The cells on that bike have integrated BMU's instead of an overall controller (which they need, as it is relatively dangerous chemistry, prone to exploding and fires).

I hope that one of the things that bike company does before they release that thing on consumers is dump the Valence stuff. I've been working with the latest iteration of Valence's cells and BMU's for 2 years now, and I've yet to have a battery last more than 20-30 charge cycles before it gets scuttled by the BMU.

Thank god we get engineering samples instead of buying them.

That being said, maybe, finally for the love of good Valence may have developed a reliable BMU for those batteries. The ones we got 3 weeks ago sure don't have them though!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
46chief does come close to making a good point. Energy or fuel used for transportation only accounts for about 1/3 of what we consume. Are concerned individuals who consider buying such a vehicle doing other things to reduce energy usage. Most folks seem to focus more on their cars, probably because it is the only form of energy they purchase directly and can touch regularly. Do you have compact flourescents in all your light fixtures? Do you take cold short showers? Get cold in the winter and sweat in the summer? Do you shy away from consuming everything you can afford?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
46chief does come close to making a good point. Energy or fuel used for transportation only accounts for about 1/3 of what we consume. Are concerned individuals who consider buying such a vehicle doing other things to reduce energy usage. Most folks seem to focus more on their cars, probably because it is the only form of energy they purchase directly and can touch regularly. Do you have compact flourescents in all your light fixtures? Do you take cold short showers? Get cold in the winter and sweat in the summer? Do you shy away from consuming everything you can afford?
Those steps aren't new concepts and people have been doing them for a while.

Its flawed logic that you have to be a saint in every regard to do good for the environment - its not all or nothing. Lots of people making even small changes add up to make a difference. Things have and will get better when whenever people take these steps.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Don't assume I know nothing of hybrids, I just reflected on the post and tend to not waste my time reading all the details of hybrids. Especially a US mfg one. The chevy hybrid truck is a joke and complete waste of energy.

Why am I still posting, because it's fun to see the high and mighty attitude that think because they can throw a bunch of money at a toy they are responsible environmentalists. I have serious doubts that cycle is practical and reliable. Thus it is a toy and will have to be discarded substantially sooner than a similar gas powered cycle. So the point is even though I am burning fossil fuel directly for propulsion I should achieve 20 years of usefull life with my bike. and in the end recycle most of the bike. Which leaves me to believe that it will leave a smaller eco footprint than the Enertia.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
New technology always goes through a development phase like this with high initial costs and more disadvantages for early adopters - its not surprising or unusual.

To standby and claim your old dirty technology is better is foolish - almost any modern car puts out less emissions than your smaller vehicle...

Over the last three years at the two different system administration jobs I've held I've walked or biked to work at least 70% of the time and driven my ULEV-2 car otherwise - each job was/is mile or less than from where I live.

And in response to Westy's questions. Almost all the light in my home is florescent or compact florescent including dimmable fixtures. My shower energy and water usage is about 20% that of a standard setup. We set the heat to 69 during the day and 67 at night in the winter and 76 in the summer augmented with class leading heat pump AC units from Fujitsu. My car cost about half as much as I could easily afford and its high mileage ULEV-2 emission. Even my PC has one of the first 80PLUS PSUs, is filled with RoHS parts, and has automatic downclocking to save power (which requires installing patches and changing the default bios setting on your own - its not easily enabled out of the box)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
since this thread turned into a discussion of hybrids in general, here are a few interesting posts and articles i came across.

you may recall CNW's analysis that purports that a Hummer has a lower life-cycle energy usage than a Prius. the reality is that it's a non-peer-reviewed study from a company that hasn't revealed its methodology, and furthermore its conclusion relies on the baseless assumption that a Prius will last 100k miles whereas a Hummer H2 would last 300k. but wait, there's more:

http://sortingoutscience.net/2007/11/28/_googlediving_hybrid_vehicles_and_energy_consumption/

sortingoutscience.net said:
[...]

Also, I’d suggest you read Peter Gleick’s analysis of the CNW study (http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integrity_of_science/case_studies/hummer_vs_prius.pdf), published by the Pacific Institute (although it’s admittedly not an unbiased party). These are just a few particularly interesting items from Gleick’s paper for your consideration:

CNW’s results disagree with those of a number of previous studies, which have shown that the production of a vehicle uses less than 10% of its whole-life energy consumption (vs. CNW’s study, which reports that the vast majority of a vehicle’s life-cycle energy consumption takes place in its construction).

CNW’s assumed vehicle lifetimes have weak (often inconsistent) justifications, and in many cases are contradicted by user experience.

CNW’s energy costs of factory construction are amortized in an inconsistent fashion.

In CNW’s study, similar vehicles of similar construction and fuel economy, built on the same assembly line and distributed through the same network, are given dramatically different lifetime energy consumption values — raising questions about the methodology used in the report’s analyses.

Repeated misuse of simple concepts / units for power vs. energy in CNW’s published report raise additional questions about the soundness of its analyses.

Correcting just a few of the identified flaws in the study would reverse its results.

There’s also a good analysis on Gristmill (http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/27/124134/961). Anyway, I’ll leave you to peruse the above material, and draw your own conclusions. Then, please leave a comment!
so if we discount the widely-publicized-but-horribly-flawed results from CNW, whom should we trust?

how about a peer reviewed study from the Energy Lab at MIT?

http://www.cleanairnet.org/transport/1754/articles-69297_resource_1.pdf

MIT Energy Lab said:

The bars shown are meant to suggest the range of our
uncertainty about the results but, as expected, even the uncertainties are uncertain. We
estimate uncertainty at about plus or minus 30% for fuel cell and battery vehicles, 20% for
ICE hybrids, and 10% for other vehicle technologies.

[...]

Vehicles with hybrid propulsion systems using either ICE or fuel cell power plants
are the most efficient and lowest-emitting technologies assessed. In general, ICE
hybrids appear to have advantages over fuel cell hybrids with respect to life cycle
GHG emissions, energy efficiency, and vehicle cost, but the differences are within the
uncertainties of our results and depend on the source of fuel energy.
my own note is that they assumed a total-system energy efficiency of 32% for electric vehicles. Tesla's calculations dispute this, citing a figure of 52.5% (source: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:u0S4-tHUbn8J:www.stanford.edu/group/greendorm/participate/cee124/TeslaReading.pdf+tesla+21st+century+car&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari). a change in this figure would affect results dramatically...

in any case, however, it might make more sense for me to get a Prius (or Prius 2, or Chevy Volt) instead of this electric motorcycle. food for thought.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
To standby and claim your old dirty technology is better is foolish - almost any modern car puts out less emissions than your smaller vehicle...
Thinking my 250 emits more emissions than almost any modern car, I'd have to argue that the foolish one would be the person who thinks this way. Look at the percentage of V6 and V8 cars out there, Any SUV or 4 wheel drive vehicle and you would argue that my 2 gallons of fuel burned a week during my commute is polluting more than anything that is getting 25mpg compared to 65 to 75 MPG.

in any case, however, it might make more sense for me to get a Prius (or Prius 2, or Chevy Volt) instead of this electric motorcycle. food for thought.
In more ways than you know. Are you going to ride it when it's near freezing, raining, snowing? Will it even be able to used during winter months? Sure is nice having a heated vest and grips for the cold days. Might as well get the Prius, at least you can use it on a daily basis throughout the year.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thinking my 250 emits more emissions than almost any modern car, I'd have to argue that the foolish one would be the person who thinks this way. Look at the percentage of V6 and V8 cars out there, Any SUV or 4 wheel drive vehicle and you would argue that my 2 gallons of fuel burned a week during my commute is polluting more than anything that is getting 25mpg compared to 65 to 75 MPG.
According to the US EPA, a motorcycle releases 20 times more pollution per mile than a new car. Motorcycles produce 90 times the hydrocarbons per mile as a typical passenger car. About the only thing they don’t emit significantly more of compared with cars is carbon dioxide, so at least they’re not contributing to global warming as much as cars do. But they contribute much more to general air pollution, which is both an environmental and public health hazard. The only reason people don’t point fingers at motorcycles in the "air quality blame game," is because so few motorcycles are on the road.

Why is motorcycle performance so dismal when it comes to emissions? The truth is, cars and "light trucks" are the big fish, and they have been hunted down by emission-regulating organizations. These vehicles have a history of regulations that just keep getting stricter, and today’s car emits practically nothing compared to cars a couple of decades ago. Motorcycles have had it easy, as they don’t have to install catalytic converters or use direct injection, technologies that come standard in today’s cars. These pollution-controlling technologies either convert harmful compounds into harmless ones, or prevent them from forming in the first place. Motorcycles lack these innovations for the most part and are much dirtier as a result.

It’s true that some motorcycles now come equipped with catalytic converters, but legislation regulating car emissions has left similar motorcycle regulations in the dust. And admittedly, new regulations are headed in the right direction (with California leading the way, yet again). But well-meaning, slow-moving improvements still can’t pit the cleanest motorcycle against the biggest, baddest SUV.

What’s a style- and sustainability-conscious consumer to do? Your heart is set on that lovely cruiser or sexy sportbike, but the thought of leaving traffic-stalled grannies coughing in your wake fills you with shame. You don’t want to make a choice between poisoning the air and racking up greenhouse gases. So don’t—consider electric motorcycles instead, also known as Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) motorcycles. These offer a motorcycle equivalent of the benefits of electric cars, with the added appeal of two-wheel "cool."
Any more brilliant ideas?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Posting a some sort of factoid about motorcycles doesn't apply to mine. Whats the source? Another MFG trying to sell you their toy electric bike? There is no indication of what kind of motorcycles they are referring to. Are they comparing displacement of engines, harleys, crotch rockets, cruisers, dirt bikes, blah blah blah.... I don't see how this applies to a small displacement 4stroke MC.

I could see how a honda goldwing compared to a Civic might show favorable data for your weak stance but comparing a a small displacement 4 stroke to most passenger cars on the road doesn't wash, catalytic converter or not.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your 4stroke is an abomination even compared to konabumm's H3.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

The emissions regulations on motorcycles are extremely limited/primitive compare to even light trucks.

motorcycledirect.co.uk Jan 06 said:
Motorcycle emissions criticised

Motorbikes release "disproportionately high" amounts of airborne pollutants, according to new research.

The report, published in the Environmental Science and Technology journal, said that motorcycles produce 16 times the amount of hydrocarbons and three times the carbon monoxide emitted by a conventional passenger car.

Motorcycles produced in Germany, Japan and Italy drew particular concern from the researchers, based at Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research, which were found to produce large amounts of hydrocarbons.

As motorbikes are not major forms of transport within most developed nations, they have escaped environmental regulation. Manufacturers have had "little motivation to improve after-treatment systems", the researchers said.

US regulations on motorcycle emissions have only recently been updated, and for a quarter of a century remained overlooked despite the vehicles producing more pollutants per mile than cars and SUVs.

However, The American Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is to introduce cuts on motorcycle emissions for new motorcycles, beginning this month. Manufacturers will be required to reduce hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxide emissions by 60 per cent.

It is thought that the new rules will help save 12 million gallons of fuel a year and reduce emissions by 54,000 tons come 2010, when the regulations will come into full effect.
empa.ch said:
Both two stroke and four stroke motorcycles performed worse in this respect than the cars investigated, according to their paper which has just been published in the renowned scientific journal «Environmental Science & Technology».

Particularly serious was the difference in emissions of hydrocarbons, above all during the urban test cycle when the quite small Swiss motorbike fleet spews out up to sixteen times more of these pollutants than all the cars registered in the country! During the rural cycle this difference drops to a mere four times. In addition to the carcinogenic effects of certain hydrocarbons, some also exhibit great potential for ozone creation. The two wheelers also emit about three times more carbon dioxide than cars. These results were obtained by the researchers through measurements of the exhaust gas emissions while simulating various driving styles in the Motor Laboratory of the Empa in Duebendorf.[/b]
Although in this country as elsewhere the number of cars on the roads far exceeds that of motorcycles, Vasic and Weilenmann have come to the conclusion that exhaust emissions from the latter vehicles are in no way «negligible» and that, from the standpoint of air pollution reduction, action is necessary.

evworld.com said:
Consider that the cleanest motorcycles in the 2001 model year certified at a level of about 0.32 grams/mile of hydrocarbons on the Federal Test Procedure. On the exact same test procedure the Prius certified at a hydrocarbon level of 0.0024 grams/mile. The cleanest (highway) motorcycle is therefore more than 100 times dirtier than the Prius. Said another way, you could drive the Prius for more than 100 miles before you got to the same hydrocarbon levels the motorcycle would emit in only 1 mile of driving.
http://greenlivingideas.com/motorcycles/the-clean-green-motorcyle-machine.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4352&Page=1

Hell even a small 4stroke 4HP lawnmower engine:

Grass Cutting Beats Driving in Making Air Pollution
http://www.mindfully.org/Air/Lawn-Mower-Pollution.htm

In the Swedish testing, the researchers used regular unleaded fuel in a typical four stroke, four horsepower lawn mower engine and found, after one hour, that the PAH emissions are similar to a modern gasoline powered car driving about 150 kilometers (93 miles). A typical push type lawn mower is run for an average of 25 hours per year, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Your 4stroke is an abomination even compared to konabumm's H3.
Common sense prevails, Scientific data is always suspect, media articles are useless, especially w/o citations.

Comparing the emissions of something that uses 1/3 of the fuel per mile compared to a 13mpg hummer is ridiculous considering the enviro impact it creates just getting the fuel to the tank.

Are they comparing or testing a 250cc or 650cc bike? big difference.

Lawnmowers engines aren't anything close to what a 250cc MC engine is, they have pistons, valves and a carburetors but thats about it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Common sense prevails, Scientific data is always suspect, media articles are useless, especially w/o citations.

Comparing the emissions of something that uses 1/3 of the fuel per mile compared to a 13mpg hummer is ridiculous considering the enviro impact it creates just getting the fuel to the tank.

Are they comparing or testing a 250cc or 650cc bike? big difference.

Lawnmowers engines aren't anything close to what a 250cc MC engine is, they have pistons, valves and a carburetors but thats about it.
bury your head in the sand if you want. there is a preponderance of evidence from the EPA among many other sources, and i feel we've done more than enough digging for you.

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/detailedchart.pdf

an easy thing to do (for you, not me) would be to find a similar chart for motorcycle emissions and compare them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And what is special about your 250? Does it have ANY emissions related equipment at all? Or does it burn fuel and spew exhaust, same as a lawnmower?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
JimmyD, If you don't know the difference between a mower and a motorcycle you should lay off the meds.

There is a big difference in displacement = how much fuel/air is able to be crammed into a cylinder, which equates to how much fuel is burned and ultimately exhausted out the tailpipe. a 650 can burn more than twice as much fuel as a 250.

Posting charts doesn't support your argument. Again!

You'll have to take the blinders off to see that the Enertia is a toy and there is no proof provided, considering it's total life cycle will leave less an impact over the course of it's usefull life compared to a similar powered properly tuned gas engine. I've got 15+ years of use out of my 250. I doubt even a Prius will get that sort of longevity.

Emissions is only part of the equation.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There is a big difference in displacement = how much fuel/air is able to be crammed into a cylinder, which equates to how much fuel is burned and ultimately exhausted out the tailpipe. a 650 can burn more than twice as much fuel as a 250.

Posting charts doesn't support your argument. Again!
My data is the measured data directly from the EPA 06 results posted on the EPA website sorted by HC test, its a screenshot from excel. I've never looked at any of the Enertia or Tesla literature.

It clearly shows that merely looking at displacement does not determine emissions - there is not a big difference like you again claimed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
JimmyD, If you don't know the difference between a mower and a motorcycle you should lay off the meds. [1]

Posting charts doesn't support your argument. Again! [2]

You'll have to take the blinders off to see that the Enertia is a toy and there is no proof provided, considering it's total life cycle will leave less an impact over the course of it's usefull life compared to a similar powered properly tuned gas engine. I've got 15+ years of use out of my 250. I doubt even a Prius will get that sort of longevity. [3]

Emissions is only part of the equation. [4]
[1]: jimmydean was pointing out that your 250cc 4-stroke probably has about the same amount of emissions control equipment (that is, none) as a 4-stroke lawnmower. care to contest this?

[2]: the chart that syadasti posted is the actual lowest greenhouse gas emissions recorded by motorcycles from the EPA. notice how there is NOT a correlation between displacement and GHG emissions. this should be patently obvious already from the car world, where the Prius, with a non-negligible displacement compared to other cares nevertheless is able to come up with near-negligible GHG emissions.

[3] and [4]: you're right, both life-cycle energy use (this includes production!) and greenhouse gas emissions are important, and both should be weighed. i believe that this passage that i quote from the MIT energy lab paper should put these concerns to rest.

starting from the bottom of 1-17 on the MIT paper: http://www.cleanairnet.org/transport/1754/articles-69297_resource_1.pdf

MIT Energy Lab paper said:
1.5 Energy Use and Emissions in Vehicle Manufacturing

[...]

In addition to these fuel cycle losses, a complete
life cycle analysis shows that there are additional energy losses incurred in manufacturing the
vehicle, so-called embodied losses. They can be significant too and should not be
overlooked. For our designs, embodied energy consumption ranges from 13% (for the
baseline vehicle) to as much as 53% (for the battery-electric vehicle) of the energy in the fuel
loaded into the tank over the life of the vehicle. [...] This section deals with vehicle
manufacturing energy use and emissions and how they might change as a result of
introducing new vehicle technologies.

[...]

1.6.2 Life Cycle Energy Use and GHG Emissions

Energy use and GHG emissions can also be combined by adding the three different stages of
the life cycle, again using the data from sections 1.3 to 1.5 which cover the fuel cycle,
vehicle operation, and vehicle manufacturing (embodied energy and emissions). Table 1.14
shows the results. We assume that embodied energy and emissions are prorated over the
vehicle’s lifetime, 15 years at 20,000 km per year. Also, we assume that 95% of vehicle
metals and 50% of vehicle plastics are recycled. These rates are higher than current practice,
but recycling is likely to increase in the future, especially if manufacturers are required to
accept responsibility for scrapped vehicles. In any case, the relative ranking of technologies
will not be affected since the same level of recycling is assumed for all.

a couple of points distilled by me from the quoted section:

1) life cycle is defined as 20,000 km/yr x 15 yrs.
2) a high level of recycling is assumed, but they importantly note that "the relative ranking of technologies will not be affected since the same level of recycling is assumed for all". in other words the numbers would be different but the ranking the same if lower levels of recycling were in effect.
3) table 1-14 accounts for total life-cycle energy use, INCLUDING MANUFACTURE of the car. here is the ranking:

By total life-cycle energy use, lowest->highest:
55% of the 1996 gas car: hybrid diesel-electric internal combustion engine (ICE), where the diesel is derived from petroleum
62%: hybrid compressed natural gas (CNG) ICE-electric
65%: hybrid gas-electric
72%: hybrid hydrogen fuel cell (FC)-electric
76%: advanced technology non-hybrid diesel ICE
80%: battery-only electric
86%: hybrid diesel-electric ICE, with Fischer-Tropsch synthetic diesel from remote natural gas
89%: advanced technology gasoline ICE
99%: hybrid methanol FC-electric
100%: baseline gasoline ICE
104%: hybrid gasoline FC-electric
By total greenhouse gas emissions, lowest->highest:
51%: hybrid CNG ICE
56%: hybrid diesel-from-petroleum ICE
63%: hybrid gasoline ICE
66%: hybrid synthetic-diesel-from-F-T-process ICE
69%: battery-only electric
72%: hybrid hydrogen FC-electric
78%: advanced diesel ICE
80%: hybrid methanol FC-electric
89%: advanced gasoline ICE
100%: baseline gasoline ICE
104%: hybrid gasoline FC-electric

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
The difference between the mower and MC are obvious, Mower engines are usually cheap with low machining tolerances, no adjustable valves, timing etc... The 250 MC is tuned on a regular basis to run and idle efficiently, a mower, isn't usually tuned until it won't start. My MC is tuned to burn the air/fuel mixture on the lean side, spewing less unburned fuel out the tailpipe. Thus it pollutes far less than mower. Tuning and efficiency are another part of the overall picture if you can't adjust valve timing, igniton timing etc then there is nothing you can do to improve the efficiency of the engine. It's difficult to make an accurate comparison.

Still not seeing real world products in the above charts, how many hybrid hydrogen fuel cell (FC)-electric vehicles did toyota or any other mfg's put on the road last year? Too much work to determine if someone else's methodology is applicable, correct or just not slanted for their agenda. Maybe you could highlight and paraphrase for me since you seem to like to read that sort of thing. Yeah cliff notes would be nice.

So my dirtbike pollutes more than a car, might as well rule out all the cars w/o catalytic converters still on the road. Then discount all the cars with aftermarket exhaust, or just worn out catalytic converters. I agree that it pollutes less than a new honda accord or like vehicles that get 30+mpg

Still not convinced that if my bike burns 100 gallons per year that a 20mpg car is going to burn 600 gallons on the same milage that the MC is less green. Even though I am burning alot less fuel.

But thats no matter I'm not gonna sell it and trade it for an unproven technology at a cost that is 8 times as much, When the engine is tired and weak I'll spend 300.00 in parts and overhaul the engine so I can get another 5,10,20 years out of it. I'll continue to chuckle as I see these toys on the internet. However I'll take a look if they end up in a dealership with a service dept at a price comparable to an equivalent motorcycle.

In the end I know the less we support coal fired power the less greenhouse gasses will produced, miner deaths reduced, destruction of watersheds will also be reduced.

That can also be said for our brothers and sisters fighting for our right to fuel up and drive 100.00 per week Excursions, Escalades and Silverado's They wouldn't be there if there wasn't money to be made selling Americans fuel for their gas guzzlers.

In the end you can't just count the pollutants that come out of the tailpipe. There are to many variables in the manufacture and delivery of electric and gas powered vehicles That the above chart doesn't address.

So after all this back and forth banter I realize that I'm not going to change my stance on electric vehicles in the near future. I would hope there is a way down the pipe to decrease fossil fuel use, not create nuclear waste, and still be able to stay connected, travel and enjoy life as we know it. Right now it seems pretty hopeless and most people just don't care and will continue to spend what they earn on stuff to make themselves feel better.

As for the motorcycle it's not as green as I am hyping it. I ride it on trails encourage erosion and create a small amount of noise pollution. I've even cut a few trails with it for my mtn bike, So all in all I'll be the first to admit I am a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to being environmentally responsible and fossil fuel toys. But I do recycle, ride my bicycle instead of driving, not buy plastic toys from Sprawlmartvand make little considerations like not burning scrap wood with paint on it, because I know the devil is in the details.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still find it funny you call the Enertia a toy yet you ride a 250cc. :rofl:

Considering the emissions of a motorcycle are bad regardless of displacement, the LEAST you could do is step up to a real bike and not a glorified scooter. :D (my bike puts out 140hp at the wheel and gets around 45mpg on average)

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Wow 140hp? I didn't buy a bike to make up for inadequacies in my life. Economy and versatility is my modus operandi

The 250 is the best choice for my application, a dualsport commuter, it does 70mph, off roads well enough to keep me out of trouble and at the most costs 9 dollars a week for fuel. I can climb anything with the 250 that I could with a 400. Plus I'd rather have a lighter more maneuverable woods bike without running a 2stroke.

I've owned several street bikes, Including a GSXR 750. I don't need to to hit speeds of 170 ever again, The power was fun but It came with a price fortunately I never had any accidents but a few close calls, 250.00 per year in tires, chain and sprockets plus tuning expense, a hailstorm, stupid drivers and and the fact big bikes are money pits. I"d much rather travel in a car I can sleep in, and throw all the money I save in maintenance into a bike/ski quiver and beer.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I decided to replace my Supra with something that got better mileage, but still had kick. I've never taken it over 100 (it's naked, so 90 feels like 150) and so far it has cost me a total of $2200 (purchase price + upgrades).

I sold my Husaberg FC400 (bought for $1000, sold it for $2500 2 years later) to buy my FZ1 (bought at auction for $1500, retails for $4000). I'm 6'4" 230#, a 250 is still a scooter to me. I'm a cheap bastard, but I do enjoy nice things. I do all my own work on my bike and I buy my tires on sale. My bike is the furthest thing from a money pit.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I'm 6'4" 230#, a 250 is still a scooter to me. I'm a cheap bastard, but I do enjoy nice things. I do all my own work on my bike and I buy my tires on sale. My bike is the furthest thing from a money pit.
Thanks for letting me know at 6'4 230 there won't be anymore smarta$$ remarks coming your way from me. At 5'9" 180lbs I'm lucky I don't need a ton of power to pull me up hills. I bought a YZ 250 at 5'7" and 125 lbs when I was 15. Found out my buddies kx125 was way easier to handle in the air. The YZ was definitely the hill climb champ in our crowd. My DR250 would look ridiculous under someone your size.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another urban transport option. would be easier to charge, too...

http://news.windingroad.com/concept-cars/more-than-meets-the-eye-the-transforming-roboscooter/

windingroad.com said:
The Smart Cities research group of MIT’s Media Laboratory has collaborated with Taiwanese Institute ITRI, and Sanyang Motors to produce this novel urban scooter.

The RoboScooter concept has been built to address the growing problem of finding practical green transportation solutions in urban centers. The lightweight, foldable scooter is designed to be a flexible and inexpensive way to provide personal mobility in a cramped environment.

In addition to the RoboScooter’s awesome stowability, it can be collapsed to half of its full size and stored on a recharging dock, the scooter has been designed with only 150 parts to simplify operation and maintenance. There is no conventional drivetrain, using separate motors in each of the wheels instead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Still not as nice as electric, but I did come across this over the weekend:

Flex Fuel conversion for EFI motorcycles

The setup is about $300 and takes less than an hour to install. After 3 tanks of gas (full regular/ half and half/full e85), it's fully mapped and off you go.

It makes me rethink my Buell based chopper project as EFI in order to make a true FFM.

<edit> They make a kit for cars/trucks as well, but my goal is an e85 chopper.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
resurrecting an old thread...

A lot of people are talking about tailpipe emissions, which is important obviously, but couldn't that be improved dramatically with proper catalytic converters on more motorcycles? Or is that as a direct result of the type of motor and it's inherent efficiency?

For example, how does a Honda Fit motor compare to a Honda Vulcan (or Goldwing?) Motor of similar displacement as far as full efficiency and emissions etc? Does the Vulcan have a catalytic converter? I believe the Fit has at least two if not more cats. I guess I'm wondering if motorcycles were subject to the same emissions equipment standards as cars are would that improve their standing? Or are they already very similar equipment-wise?...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sean, post #102 shows that motorcycle emissions are all over the map, quasi-independent of displacement. this is just one of the indications that motorcycles and cars are not similar at all in terms of emissions equipment and standards, besides all the other dreck in this thread.

so would fitting car-type emissions controls on motorcycles work? i don't think motorcycle motors run with such weird parameters (A:F ratio, etc.) as compared to cars that such equipment wouldn't work, but i defer to Westy and others with more direct knowledge.