Quantcast

Evil Sect 140mm Bike - Let it Begin

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i'm eagerly awaiting this bike, figured i'd post up the first 'pic' that i have seen on the internets, lets speculate. This could be my next AM bike...

This is the bike we can't show you. The Sect is a 140mm rear travel machine with a 6.5lb frame - including rear shock. The head angle will be adjustable between 66.5 and 68 degrees. Evil is very careful about having things look just right and while this pre-production sample was rideable the tubes and welds aren't what they should be - so this is the best we could do. With favourable seas these bikes should arrive from the far east in April.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
looks to borrow the same top tube style of the revolt, looking forward to see the finished frame

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i know the revolt is so flowy looking, this basically looks like a mini version, the rear end looks very similar as well the headtube is sex.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Any word on a mini dh version of this? That's what I've been hoping to see out of the evil camp.

In my experience a 6.5lb frame/shock combo is not up to regular dh abuse.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The Sect is going to be dope. I've seen pics of it and it looks pretty sweet. Think of it as a little brother to the Revolt: It's smaller, less travel for Trail/AM, lighter, utilizes the DELTA linkage system.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
This will be my next bike. I'm sure there will be another bike to split the difference between this one and the Revolt but I'm looking for an AM/trail bike to pedal with.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The Sect is going to be dope. I've seen pics of it and it looks pretty sweet. Think of it as a little brother to the Revolt: It's smaller, less travel for Trail/AM, lighter, utilizes the DELTA linkage system.
perfect this is what i need to replace my beat to hell santa cruz heckler...we need some full bike shots on this one...:wait:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I talked to one of the Evil guys at one of the Fluidride cups and he said there was going to be a 5.5 and a 6.5 inch travel bikes, the 6.5 would be slacker and more "mini DH." I'm guessing this is the 5.5 version. At the time he said they were only on paper but that the goal was low and slack. I just hope it fits a coil shock.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Banshee Spitfire looks good too. Nice to see 5" bikes with 66/67 degree head angles, although it's going to make the next AM frame decision hard for me: build around a light 5" fork or a stiff 6" fork?

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
It looks different. They've kept some of the lines from the Revolt but not the swingarm. With as good as my Revolt pedals I'm sure this one will too. I'm looking forward to riding one.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I demand to know prices on these NOW god damn it. I will probably sell my Trek Fuel EX carbon frame and get this instead. Stuff the weight increase I want a trail bike with a slack HA.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
The bike looks good. I think they have there numbers messed up though. How do you go from a 68 degree head angle with 13" bb to a 66.5 degree head angle and 13.25" bb? Changing the head angle by 1.5 degrees should drop the bb almost 3/4". I'm curious to hear more on this.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
gotta remember that there is a prototype. im sure it'll carry the same lines as the revolt. I cant wait for this and the division.
That's what I figure too. When I saw the first Revolt in January it was clean but not as nice as the production bikes. This one seems to be a test mule for the geometry and suspension, not the tube set. The tubes all look more straight to me that they should. Kevin has a good eye for design and I trust that it will be more refined before it reaches the market.

The bike looks good. I think they have there numbers messed up though. How do you go from a 68 degree head angle with 13" bb to a 66.5 degree head angle and 13.25" bb? Changing the head angle by 1.5 degrees should drop the bb almost 3/4". I'm curious to hear more on this.
I think you are right about the numbers being swapped, it probably goes from a high/steep position of 68* and 13.25 to a low/slack position of 66.5 and 13. Both the head tube and the rear end are separately adjustable; the head tube has two positions and the rear end has 4 unique settings and various combinations will leave you between the two max and min limits.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
It looks like the pivot will line up well with a 34 tooth ring. At first I thought the end of the crank arm was the pivot but if you look closely it isn't that high.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I dunno, hard for me to get too excited really. I know there is a big Evil following here (rightfully so, I hear it rides great!), but there isn't much here to get me jumping up and down. I had heard about this being some sort of "DH'ers cross-country bike" but it doesn't look that way, besides saying Evil on the frame. Not to sure if anyone else knows this but there are loads of 6.5 - 7.5 lb frames with 67* ish head angles to pick from=)

My trails are not insanely rough and my 6" travel rig can keep up to the big bikes but what I'm really waiting for is the 5"/6" bike with the 64/65* adj. head angle. That will be the DH'ers XC bike. How about a bike like the Sect that has a HT sleeve to take it from 66* to 64*????