Quantcast

evil update

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Given the people who are involved in this project, and their prior accomplishments and reputation within the industry, i think a bit of confidence in Evil goes beyond simple fanboying. This ain't their first rodeo.
Bingo.

Todd, does this effect your involvement with NORBA/USAC?

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Given the people who are involved in this project, and their prior accomplishments and reputation within the industry, i think a bit of confidence in Evil goes beyond simple fanboying. This ain't their first rodeo.

I totally agree, but there are plenty out there saying "I want it" to a render.
That's a bit beyond confidence IMO.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Oh yeah, cause that never happens anywhere else. Not like people read about movies that are coming out, and say they wanna see them. Or car prototypes, and want to buy them. Yep, interest in buying a product based on even slight pre-knowlege never, ever happens anywhere else except MTB land.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Oh yeah, cause that never happens anywhere else. Not like people read about movies that are coming out, and say they wanna see them. Or car prototypes, and want to buy them. Yep, interest in buying a product based on even slight pre-knowlege never, ever happens anywhere else except MTB land.
Don't mean to push here, but movie trailers only come out when a movie has been or is close to finished.

Car prototypes are almost always made up in flesh, so at least a fair bit more than a couple of day's work is in them.

I partially retract my previous statement about marketing, as by creating a dingy interview with a crap rendering that leaves you left wanting, they have got all these people talking about them and keeping their name at the top of these boards.

Their all either marketing genius's or they've just had too many cones and it's finally paid off for them:biggrin:

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think everyone is overlooking the fact there are some big names with proven track records behind this effort, yeah they scrambled to get something together for iBike and even though everything was vague i sorta dig the guerrilla marketing style.

I think the re-launch will be a home run once someone finally posts full build pics of vanderham's bike...most of the naysayers will go home. Those cad drawings always suck...I agree the website needs to be sleeker:shocked:

Todd,
How is EVIL handling existing dealers from the old brand? Any communication going out to them and or preference on first production runs of the bikes? Our shop has been a long time dealer so just curious.

Really looking for the slightly more free ride bike from you guys that was rumored all over the place...keep the good news coming

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Apart from Thomas and having an association with a regarded suspension designer, Evil seems to me to be the biggest case of presentation over content I've ever seen.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Apart from Thomas and having an association with a regarded suspension designer, Evil seems to me to be the biggest case of presentation over content I've ever seen.

Yeah, because Gabe Fox and Todd Seplavey haven't really done anything noteworthy in the bike industry right? :crazy:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Evil bikes didnt make the Imperial? DOC? Sovereign?

2013i developent platform?

All involved are tested - the people, the brand. New owners, but old owner/designer/engineer still has a role.

People love to talk ****, but when Evil succeeds, have the decency to swallow it in turn. I have never owned anything from Evil, but respect a high quality and welld designed product. Screw the cheap politics of 'fanboy' accusations.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I'm talking about what the company has done to date - NOTHING.
Have you ever heard of Evil Bikes before their relaunch?

They have some of the best hardtails that you can buy.

And they have done quite a lot, a rebranding is a hell lot of work.

The idea of a small rider owned company is great. I think taht Evil has the potential to do as well as 4frnt does in skiing.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Just because the general public hasn't seen anything doesn't mean there isn't anything :bonk:
Well they didn't even have a proto bike for Thomas to ride at Rampage so they missed a rather large marketing opportunity there...

From the video it's clear the old Evil (the overweight hardtails) is very little to do with this new 'collective' of basically Thomas and a couple guys hyping up nothing. I was actually looking forward to seeing the new bike but that interview has definitely detuned my interest.

Anyway don't mind me, carry on hyping.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think Evil is going to be what IH *could* have been if things had played out a bit differently, and I'm really, really happy for that.

edit - There's a very real, and very obvious line between people on RM who know the story and the people involved, and those who don't. Call it fanboy-ism, call it a bandwagon, call it insider knowledge, call it whatever you want, but I'm confident enough in their abilities, goals, and previous projects to know what level of product is going to be coming out. If that's hype, then I'm guilty along with everyone else.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
. . . the old Evil (the overweight hardtails) . . .
Ouch.

Maybe you missed the point of what Dave and I were trying to accomplish back in the day. The Imperial was built to be one of the strongest frames on the planet. We sold close to 1,000 world wide, and during my 6-year tenure there, we never heard of a single failure. Given the durability, the weight was fantastic. The Sovereign and the DOC were both incredibly competitive weight-wise with similarly purposed frames as well - both were around 6 lbs for a bike you could beat the hell out of all day long.

--JP

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
my Sovereign was my favorite hardtail of all time, I absolutely loved it...all the haters about the company dont really hold any water with me and prob most of the board...its getting boring.

So guys, where are the rest of the bikes? :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
edit - There's a very real, and very obvious line between people on RM who know the story and the people involved, and those who don't. Call it fanboy-ism, call it a bandwagon, call it insider knowledge, call it whatever you want, but I'm confident enough in their abilities, goals, and previous projects to know what level of product is going to be coming out. If that's hype, then I'm guilty along with everyone else.
wow very well put :clapping:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I think Evil is going to be what IH *could* have been if things had played out a bit differently, and I'm really, really happy for that.

I agree 100%. So in the same vein, someone who isn't in the industry or friends with these guys shouldn't be labeled a hater because they find this secretive, "guerrilla" marketing a little cliché.

This is the only bike I own right now....Love it.

I hope nothing but success for Evil. I would rather buy from a small builder all day long, but at least be able to laugh at the over hyped nature of the whole interview and this thread which have given almost no information and yet have generated mass interest.

John P, Ska Todd and others involved, good luck guys. You already now this is a tough industry and starting with great branding and a loyal base I'm sure whatever you do will have a better chance of success than most.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

nail... head... bam.

If you look at the people who are involved with the current iteration of Evil Bikes, they all have a history of putting their money with their mouth is, so to speak.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
nail... head... bam.

If you look at the people who are involved with the current iteration of Evil Bikes, they all have a history of putting their money with their mouth is, so to speak.
yup. although I'm wondering whether the bike might have a tendency to take the "pro-line" through obstacles and end up crashing in its race run though... :twitch:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
So in the same vein, someone who isn't in the industry or friends with these guys shouldn't be labeled a hater because they find this secretive, "guerrilla" marketing a little cliché.
this needs to be repeated....as much as a lot of folks are excited and wish them luck.....it's getting pretty silly

dondon

Monkey
I'm talking about what the company has done to date - NOTHING.
There were clues on litter all year long for those that noticed, back at sea otter for instance...

Why rush a bike just for rampage, they are in it for the long term so not having a bike for rampage hardly matters. Why do a soft launch of your brand, have meetings with distributors and dealers and meet with select media at interbike to talk about your Brand and 2009 and future offering? Come on now if you really need them to answer that one i suggest you pull out a little yellow and black business/marketing for dummies handbook.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Admittedly it's a little weird having a company you've worked for/continue to work for? be around in an entirely different incarnation. With that said, however, I am really excited to see how the people involved now (whom I have great respect for) make it all happen. The current incarnation is definitely a far cry from what 'Evil' used to be to me in some of my formative years in cycling, but should be a tremendously fun ride well worth the wait!

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I just want to see a picture or a rendering that shows more of what is going on in the suspension. Any idea when we'll see something with substance?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Ouch.

Maybe you missed the point of what Dave and I were trying to accomplish back in the day. The Imperial was built to be one of the strongest frames on the planet. We sold close to 1,000 world wide, and during my 6-year tenure there, we never heard of a single failure. Given the durability, the weight was fantastic. The Sovereign and the DOC were both incredibly competitive weight-wise with similarly purposed frames as well - both were around 6 lbs for a bike you could beat the hell out of all day long.

--JP
yup...6.1 lbs approx for an Imperial Sl that I am still riding today. I have had ONE since they were first introduced. Probably 10 forks on the thing, cranks/pedals, lots of wheelsets. The frame needs a new paint job and that is about it. I wouldn't say it was babied any of those years either.

There have been plenty/still are plenty of bike frames over 6lbs that don't have 1/8th the durability of an Imperial or Imperial sl.