Quantcast

Fall Guy/Molly feedback...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all..

This post is directed at anyone riding a fall guy.. or molly at that. I'm def. building up a deuce quad ride here in the next month and have a few questions..

Firstly, stays. Fall guy sits at 14.25" cs w/ 12" bb. Molly sits at a bit less aggressive/street at 14.70" cs w/ 12.30" BB... I want my ride to feel super "light" and want some quick aggressive geo. BUT... I also want it to be stable on the DJ's, etc.

Are 14" stays "too short" per 24" wheel standards? Realistically, I think you can build the frame to have almost identical geo to that of a newer BMX ride... but is it what is ideal?

This is more a post for my thoughts/to recieve feedback from those who ride what I'm lookin' for...

Thanks. :monkeydance:

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I have a molly. I ride mostly street and some park. The cs length feels perfect to me. I think you start to take away stability with shorter chainstays. 14" for a 24 seems too short.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I was thinking that it might almost be "too short" at some point as well. But I want a bike that can hit up the skatepark and feel like it belongs where as on my current ride it just feels too big and bulky.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i've been riding a fallguy for years. best frame i've ever had and i've had a few. stable, pops like a dream and the quality is superb.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The Molly is one of a very very small number of frames that I have bought twice. I have the rear axle all the way forward in the chainstays and it works good for me. Very tossible bike but stable too.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
after riding these frames, i think you could feel comfy with 14" stays. i rode a 24 w/ 13.75 stays and it felt stable. i wouldn't want to go any shorter haha.

fallguy is such a wild frame. fit and finish is second to non.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
A Grove, what do you ride right now ?

If you're coming off a 26" the Molly will feel very quick to pull up. The combination of a shorter cs and a smaller wheel makes a big difference.

Last edited:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Riding a boat of a two-six now. Long frontend, but short ass. Its pretty fun on the jumps... but park/street it really sucks. I ride a lot of tight DJ's made for twenties so a deuce-quad would work wonders methinks....

pastcaring

Chimp
Nov 22, 2006
I loved my molly! Ran it with a nem-pro maz, lowered to 80mm.Thought the 14.7 cs were perfect. I now run a Brooklyn acl 14.25 cs but run it at 14.5.
Haven't had much time on the acl due to a ****ed ankle, so may end up slammed.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Definitely possible to go shorter than 14" on one of these bikes with a yoke.

The FG is 14.25", has ample tire clearance, can achieve an appropriate chain-line and run up to a 30t sprocket.

Where'd you get 12" BB height for the FG? That's wrong.

It has 0 BB drop. Hey..there's actually information about it on our new site?!?!?

As far as stability on trails...it's generally the nut behind the bars which determines that more than anything else.

Nathan is a damn good trails rider, and he prefers a FG.
New Fall Guy on dirt.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well.. being in my "learning phase" I had figured that 0 BB drop meant that it would be at the same level as f&r axle... Being it sits on 24" wheels, I got it to be 12". I must have something wrong, how much Dia. does an actual tire add? Never really measured myself...

Thanks for the pics, all!

EDIT:: How big of tire-clearance do these things have? I'm thinking enough for a 2.5 is ample enough...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
If I were to go back up in wheel diameter, it'd be another molly simply b/c it just felt right for me. I was able manual that bike like nobody's bidnez. Sorta miss the ol' gal from time to time. I'm totally hooked on da twenties though...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Here are some pics of what I've been tryin out lately.. an old diamondback cruiser. Not great geo for street/park by any means, but it definitally holds it own in the jumps!! Its a fun ride.. Just want to refine it of sorts.

and a fun lil snow jump I built in a measely ten minutes...

Riding this cruiser has really got me aching to try out a dialed deuce-quad frame for sure....

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Hey. My link to my Tonic is below. Totally good with short stays, I would be happy to go a tad shorter to be honest. Long stays, to me, make sense for racing stuff, hauling and lifting up for roller and whatever, but for all other purposes I like tight backends.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
don't have to ask me twice haha. a few little things are different, pics are a lil old.

Hey man are those the boon trails? Your bike looks sick.:cheers:
I wish I lived an hour closer to those, I would be very happy to throw down some digging time to ride those.

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
the molly is far more street oriented than the fall guy is.
If your talking street in the grinding sense, then I would agree, but if your talking about manualing and flickability (short back end) not to mention a lower bbrkt (and I believe a steeper HT, but I could be wrong on that) then I would say the FG might be better. Just depends on what sort of "street" you ride.

If you want a beefier bike, then yes, the Molly would be better.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
If you are into pegs / grinds / steeper HT angles / 990's the Molly is a (far) better choice.

Horses for Courses.

To me, a clicked euro 6 ft out of the Arvey Wall is very heavy street move. The Fall Guy frame in this photo has been holding up fine to this sort of riding.

As for BB height...

I don't want to be Captain Obvious..but tires change BB height.

Cru...check the drawing of your Cruiser. Specifically the wheel radius.

If your bike had zero drop with those tires, what would the BB height be?

-L

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nah, the wheel is 24" w/o a tire. Add the tire sidewall and you've got maybe an extra inch of height.

BB drop is more accurate, since it negates tire height differences.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Nah, the wheel is 24" w/o a tire. Add the tire sidewall and you've got maybe an extra inch of height.
You sure about that? I have a 24" wheel sitting right next to me. Bottom of tire to top of tire is about 24.25" (it has a 2.2 dmr moto tire on it). Bottom of wheel to top of wheel (without tire) is less than 21". I think all wheel sizes include an average tire height.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You might be right, I've honestly never bothered to measure.

Although on second thought, that would make sense, given the 700c/29er rim thing...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I think the point is that that tire radius is all over the board. That "board" is about 3/8" of an inch.

Now that most frames are designed around a low suspension fork (460 is somewhat of a standard), BB drop is a little better way to describe BB height I think. Could be wrong though.

-L

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I think the point is that that tire radius is all over the board. That "board" is about 3/8" of an inch.

Now that most frames are designed around a low suspension fork (460 is somewhat of a standard), BB drop is a little better way to describe BB height I think. Could be wrong though.

-L
Makes sense. Definitely seems more accurate. I just think that people understand that a 12" high bb (in this case, and regardless if the measurement is actually 12") is basically a different way of saying 0 bb drop. I think it's understood that varying tire sizes and fork heights play into that. On the other hand, if you had a 420 a2c fork on the bike and the zero drop was based around a 460 fork... it wouldn't be 0 drop anymore. Ahhhh... geeky bike stuff. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally missing something.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think bb drop is easier to understand once you start thinking in those terms. It takes away the setup differences and is associated with an a2c length. The width of a tire and rim width can cause pretty big differences in bb height. With bb drop there is only one variable which is a2c instead of having to know rim width, tire width and a2c to get an idea. I think it is easier to design with bb drop than bb height. To measure it is just as easy when you measure the bb height versus the axle heights.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Lots of good stuff in this thread, it has been eluded too but not said so I will say it Chainstay length is only one part of the equation, BB height is every bit as important as is the headangle thus adjusting the front center distance.

My adice for A Grove is simple, look at the grearing you intend to run and build according to that.. since your making a one off frame you get that extra luxury.

arcadecycles

Chimp
Dec 3, 2008

This is the Jugegrnaut, and we are running 14" flat chainstays. They work great feel real responsive and run great either on street/park or at the trails. I personally would go with a fall guy, nice clean frame and nice geometry. If i wasn't riding this i would be on a fall guy.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
If you are into pegs / grinds / steeper HT angles / 990's the Molly is a (far) better choice.

Horses for Courses.

To me, a clicked euro 6 ft out of the Arvey Wall is very heavy street move. The Fall Guy frame in this photo has been holding up fine to this sort of riding.

-L
not saying it isn't good for street. you know i beat the hell out of mine. i just think of trails when i think of tonic, and i think more of street when i think of usb. different strokes...