Quantcast

Favorite Grips in 2021?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
What is everyone digging for grips? I use to really dig most lock on grips, but many are going to single clamp design. For our tight trails any grips with soft rubber on the end of the grip mean that scraping trees become instant OTB when that sticky rubber catches.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Check out the PNW Loam grips. I've been using them for a couple years, really really like 'em. I mostly ride without gloves and find these very comfortable & grippy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been using the Chromag Squarewave grips since last summer and like them. Only thing is that they've worn faster that the ODI Crosstrainer grips I've used for the last decade.

Kind of want to try the OneUp grips though

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've been using odi tld's for years. i've tried a few others occasionally, but haven't ever found anything i like better. good combo of stay-in-placeness, medium diameter, medium stickiness, and decent wear time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Odi Elite Flow and Pro are single lock on but they have a harder plastic outside edge rather than soft grippy rubber. I've been running the Elite Pros for the last couple years since I broke my hand as they have a nice raised centre to support the arched metacarpals and an outside flange to locate my hand against.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've been using odi tld's for years. i've tried a few others occasionally, but haven't ever found anything i like better. good combo of stay-in-placeness, medium diameter, medium stickiness, and decent wear time.
same. i have been running the sensus disisdaboss for a bit and like them most of the time but i'll be going back to the ODI TLD's once these wear out if not sooner.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dreadlocks, gloves with silicone print on the palms get a bit slippery when they get wet, so I don't buy gloves with that on them.
1626390795028.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Oury lock-on's on trail bike, cut down on the rhs to work with grip shifter
Oury lock-on V2's on DH bike - only just put these on and I think I prefer og with plastic end caps versus the rubber end
ESI chunky on fatty
10+ year old set of Ergon GX2's on rigid 29er that I need to replace.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've come to like knuckledusters, have them on the megatrail and DH bike. although after a recent DH crash, i'm having second thoughts about the single sided lock ons. i have a set of sensus grips on my scott spark, and am liking those too.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Deity Waypoints were the best thin grip I found, then they stopped making them. Preferred them with gloves. You can still find them here and there.

Covid scarcity led me to a pair of Fabric grips which are a little thicker and had using these without gloves until a recent off tore the pad at the base of my pinky off, among other unpleasantries. When these Fabric grips are done I want to get a pair of the PNW Loam grips.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Renthal Traction Lock-On ultratacky. They are one step away from offensively tacky but for me the most comfortable dual lock on. After they wear out I’m going to try push ons again. I loved the white-ish mucus colored renthal grips but I think I need a larger grip now a days.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
ODIs for years but always felt I needed something bigger for my hands. Tried Rouges but they felt too big. Tried a set of Deathgrips and found the ribbed section was really really nice. Stumbles onto Burgtech grips which have a similar ribbed pattern, but across the whole grip. I feel this increases the initial diameter but has some give unlike the Rouges. Soft compound makes them nice and grippy and I feel the combo of ribbed pattern with the soft compound provides some damping.
Durability so far is excellent and favourite grips to date, BUT I agree with other that single lock-ons with rubber on the outside sucks. 1 off and the rubber tore, leaving a flap in my case, and I have not had any luck getting the rubber to bond with the plastic shell. The ends snag on surfaces and with more grips going this route it wipes out the option to store tools inside bars. I only just picked up a tubeless plugging tool and I think bar storage for this tool would be ideal, quick to access to plug that hole.

The loam Rangers look nice. First time I have seen a pic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
currently on ODI elite pro as they were cheap and good enough. Want to try death grips as I adore the square undergrip waffle thing.

The ODIs have a harder than average outer end, but I wonder if you could cut the end off and replace it with a lock ring if you really need one.

For a while, I ran WTB 4 front and Ravx Density X lock, which were nice because they had a hard plastic liner but not below your palm...meaning you got the feeling of rubber between palm and bar. They also had lock rings on the inside and outside of the grip which you are looking for. Unfortunately, they look like the design is different now.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Coulda been worse... At least you didn't ruin a nice pair of gloves ;)
True, would have been more expensive. On the other hand I had two and a half days left and kill my time doing something sensible - drink beers and cheer for my mates. I guess the money spent on beer was a bit more than a pair of nice gloves.

Before starting to ride gloveless I liked ODI X-Trainers, worked pretty well.
ESI Silicone and gloves don't do it for me, I always have the feeling of slipping off and therefore tend to grip too hard resulting in armpump.
In the wet and gloveless I agree with Gary, Sensus Dissisdaboss.
But they felt a bit thin for my long fingers with gloves so I just ordered a pair of ODI Rogues which should have the same diameter as the ESIs at 32 mm and provide a bit more grippy feeling with gloves. Will see...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I bought a pair of these on clearance for my commuter:
1626562004971.png

I was really impressed, so I got a pair for the trail bike. And I'm still impressed.

Good amount of cushion, good grip, work well in the wet. My hands sweat too much to ride gloveless, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited: