Quantcast

Feelin retro

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's either 92 or 93, I'm fairly certain. 91 did not have the "force 40" brake bridge. The catalog shows 92 with a non-replaceable dropout and integrated seatclamp, but user photos do not agree.

I KNOW the 93 has the 1 1/4" HT, but I can't say whether the 92 does or not. I'd love to be able to swap a fork if I get it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

Looking at some awesome retro cannondales...they should never have changed their logo.

Fill my friday with some awesome retro goodness. DO IT NAO.
I agree the old Cannondale logo rocked... but I mean the OLD logo...

I rocked a 1983 Cannondale road frame from about 1985 to 1997 (when it was stolen from my garage in SF). I still have dreams about finding that bike. I used it for general transportation before I could drive, I used it for late night drunken rides during college, and it was even my source of income while I was a bike courier in Boston.

It was white with red lettering/logo... like this one:

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Stucks when a bike like that is stolen. I had a 1994 M900 which I had totally pimped out with all new gear so basically only the original frame was left. It was also stolen. Love the bike and rode the hell out of it too.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
my road bike has the same dropouts and is that 91-93 era.

i'm inclined to say 91' (maybe earlier?) it doesn't have a replaceable hanger, and there's no model listed on it (that i can recall) just says c'dale black lightning

Look a bit closer. There's the 2 bolts sticking out ever so slightly above the axle slot. The shop I worked at in Tacoma was a Cdale dealer, I was there for '92 and '93, and I believe this to be '92.

As long as my memory works, that is......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Look a bit closer. There's the 2 bolts sticking out ever so slightly above the axle slot. The shop I worked at in Tacoma was a Cdale dealer, I was there for '92 and '93, and I believe this to be '92.

As long as my memory works, that is......
oh, i was referring to my own frame. sorry for the confusion.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember seeing this proto at Interbike. Was ssooooo cool in person. Said it weighed 70lbs. on display, since it was a proto and still solid billet. Wonder what it would've been whittled down to if it went into production???
Never could have gone into production. That suspension design would make it unrideable under braking.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I still want to machine a frame like that. Maybe a hardtail would be more practical.
Why? I TOTALLY get the appeal of CNCing something huge and intricate like that. Thing is, that's just not a good way to make a bike frame. I'd want to do something that's actually a reasonable thing to have made, if that makes sense.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Why? I TOTALLY get the appeal of CNCing something huge and intricate like that. Thing is, that's just not a good way to make a bike frame. I'd want to do something that's actually a reasonable thing to have made, if that makes sense.
Only because I'm a machinist and not a framebuilder. I have four CNC mills in my shop and it's fun to mess around with new parts. I'm pretty sure that an engineer could design a better bike through machining than welding.

Think about it: A welded tube frame is really full of compromises. A frame made from one piece would have material where it is needed and nothing extra. The geometry could be optimized at every section for strength and weight. Also, there would be no weak points from the heat of the welding process.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Only because I'm a machinist and not a framebuilder. I have four CNC mills in my shop and it's fun to mess around with new parts. I'm pretty sure that an engineer could design a better bike through machining than welding.

Think about it: A welded tube frame is really full of compromises. A frame made from one piece would have material where it is needed and nothing extra. The geometry could be optimized at every section for strength and weight. Also, there would be no weak points from the heat of the welding process.
Nope. Frames use tubes for a reason.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had one of those back in 1996, fun bike to ride back in the day:thumb:
the geometry is actually still pretty good for how old it is

No. You'll never get a machined aluminum frame anywhere near the weight, strength and stiffness of a welded up, tubed frame.
isnt the weld stronger then the tubes themselves typically? or did i just make that up?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
isnt the weld stronger then the tubes themselves typically? or did i just make that up?
Typically yes, as long as it's a good quality weld, at least that's what I've always heard and taken to be true as well. Combine that with the fact that tubing is much better suited for structural applications than machined parts (much stiffer, laterally and torsionally), and you'll have a much better frame.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
On a proper weld joint the bead is the strongest point, the tube is next, and there is a heat-affected zone at the edge between them which is weakest. There are some types of metal which are designed to treat themselves so that the H.A.Z. is stronger than the tube (Reynolds 823, or some such number). Aluminum bikes are not as affected because they receive heat treatment after welding (unless it's a late-model Karpiel). Also, with some of the butting and hydroforming techniques in use, there is a lot more metal at the junctions where it needs to be.

The reason tubes are so hard to beat is the very thin and very consistent wall which is drawn through a die, aligning the grain and making it stiffer and harder than regular stock. A hollow cylinder is the best shape to resist twisting forces with the least amount of metal. As proof of my assertions I put forth the fully-cnc'd trials frame. I can't find pics of it at the moment, but it looked awesome. Turns out it was an unrideable noodle.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I am an ME and I'm telling you I can't.

See w00dy's post.
ditto. tubes are difficult to beat in most applications. Machining has its place, but generally not for something like an entire frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ok, shut up. don't care.

CARBON, IT'S THE WAVE OF THE 90s!!!!!!!!!!11111111111ONE

unf double unf unf

don't worry guys, I'm sure this time everything will go SWIMMINGLY.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
the geometry is actually still pretty good for how old it is
The main downside to it was the shock. Since it was fixed to the frame it would only last a few rides before it started to leak. The upside was Risse was located about 45 minutes from my house (Before they moved), so I was able to drive over there and they would rebuild it while I waited. That was WAY cool:thumb:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The main downside to it was the shock. Since it was fixed to the frame it would only last a few rides before it started to leak. The upside was Risse was located about 45 minutes from my house (Before they moved), so I was able to drive over there and they would rebuild it while I waited. That was WAY cool:thumb:
Did they smoke you up too? I had a Risse custom tool kit. Very cool tool!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
you monkeys ever pass through nc, check out mombat: http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/

you won't be sorry.

@mickey--was the spooky smorgasbord named for smorgasbord records (old school ct hardcore label?)
I would fathom a "yes" to that. After all, many Spooky bikes were named after hardcore bands (Project X, Supertouch). The old spooky catalog came in an EP sleeve and was modeled after the VIOLENT CHILDREN 'United Nutmeg' EP (old school CT hc band whose members went on to be in Youth of Today).

Catalog looked like this: