Quantcast

...Fell into a Cesspool today...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
I thought you grew up in the sticks? :confused:
What's your point here? That in growing up in TN, I should've found a way to never possibly overestimate the strength of decaying wood based on a fleeting gimpse of its color? I guess I missed that life lesson somewhere.
Satisfied?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
don't you have any trees to just hold onto? I hardly ever take my feet out of the pedals, its just comfortable to lean on a tree, not step on a stump!:cool:

BTW isn't that poison ivy? :nonono:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BurlyShirley said:
What's your point here? That in growing up in TN, I should've found a way to never possibly overestimate the strength of decaying wood based on a fleeting gimpse of its color? I guess I missed that life lesson somewhere.
Satisfied?
Dumber than a jar of frogs....... :nonono:

For the momentary immersion in water you describe I suggest leaving the bottom bracket bearings alone. You can try removing seals but they're not designed for it - you're more liable to do harm than to improve the situation.

I'd be more concerned about hubs if they're cup and cone and maybe the headset.

J

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
johnbryanpeters said:
For the momentary immersion in water you describe I suggest leaving the bottom bracket bearings alone. You can try removing seals but they're not designed for it - you're more liable to do harm than to improve the situation.

I'd be more concerned about hubs if they're cup and cone and maybe the headset.

J
I'm with the wise sage here. I'd not worry about it too much. Those external bearings are pretty well sealed.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
It's so great...what happens to riding related threads in the lounge...
We also used to not have sticks up our asses and could jokingly say we wanted nekkid pics, but someone disapproved of me asking kizzi for them yesterday. I didn't know this place had gotten so stuffy.

btw - you can't imagine how much grief I would get from you if that was me in the water, so I have to point out you are getting it pretty lightly.

How's the bike??? Pulled apart yet???

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I pulled it all apart, except the BB bearings, and it didnt seem like there was any water really, anywhere. I rode another 4 miles after I fell in, so I assume it mostly worked itself out. I still cleaned everything and regreased though...

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, I pulled it all apart, except the BB bearings, and it didnt seem like there was any water really, anywhere. I rode another 4 miles after I fell in, so I assume it mostly worked itself out. I still cleaned everything and regreased though...
Cool - the headset would be fine for sure. You just put new bearings in the frame, right? Bearings that new would likely still be sealed really well. I am sure you are fine.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...and yes, that is poison ivy or oak depending on who you talk to. No I didnt get any. Well, any more than I already had.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
How the hell did I mis this thread?! BS in a cesspool AND he's a pretty boy! Gold I tell ya....

Looks like a pretty dang nice place to ride, BS. Well, except for the cesspool and the Meg Tilly look alikes running around the woods. :rofl:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
How the hell did I mis this thread?! BS in a cesspool AND he's a pretty boy! Gold I tell ya....

Looks like a pretty dang nice place to ride, BS. Well, except for the cesspool and the Meg Tilly look alikes running around the woods. :rofl:
Stinkyboy approved!

:rofl:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BurlyShirley said:
...and yes, that is poison ivy or oak depending on who you talk to. No I didnt get any. Well, any more than I already had.
lucky for you, then. I still have scars on my arm where I got it ontop of where I had it (if that makes any sense) the doc put me on steroids which really f'ed with my system! but the Poison Ivy finally went away! :rolleyes: