Quantcast

Finally got my racebike. SOCOM 36~lbs (FWWO*)

DEVOTiON

Chimp
Jan 11, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
* For weight weenies only

Got tired of waiting for the V10... So I got this XC bike instead.

Jared Graves style:

frame: Intense Special Operations Command FRO
headset: Cane Creek Double Flush XC
fork: Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup

hjul fram
rim: Mavic EX721
hub: Hadley Disc Hub
spokes: DT Competition + Messings nipples
rotor: Avid Clean Sweep G2 203mm
tube: Schwalbe
tire: Schwalbe Big Betty

wheel rear
rim: Mavic EX721
hub: Hadley SDH Disc Hub 72pt
spokes: DT Competition + Messing nipples
cassette: Ultegra 12-25t
rotor: Avid Clean Sweep G2 185mm
tube: Schwalbe
tire: Maxxis "Hillsprint Bling bling".

brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon

stem: Easton Havoc 25.4
handlebar: Easton EA70 Low 25.4
spacers: Carbon baby
grips: Shadow Conspiracy Lil' Dirty

cranks: Shimano Saint HT2 (Modified)
pedals: Gusset Slim Jim Magnesium (Crap)
chainring: Saint 38T
chainguide: LG1 (Custom project)
chain: SRAM 991 Cross Step
rear der.: SRAM X.9 Super Short Cage
shifter: SRAM X.9

seatpost: Thomson Elite Masterpiece
saddle: SDG Bel Air Cow (Customized)

Weight: 36.16lbs

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
what happened to your lower roller? Guide needs rotated too.

That seat is awesome. Got any more pics of it?

Oh yea and that looks like a nice build

DEVOTiON

Chimp
Jan 11, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Haha cheers SteezyWeezy.

The backplate is at full rotation. It's going to be switch.
And the lower roller need some custom grinding to fit.

Yes, I did the saddle myself.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Haha cheers SteezyWeezy.

The backplate is at full rotation. It's going to be switch.
And the lower roller need some custom grinding to fit.
All you need is the wide backplate and you will be all set.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Last time I had my Socom down to 36 lbs, it made me ride much more stupid. I was like inside a pinball machine. I upped it up to 38lbs it was ok. At 39 lbs, I'm happy. Now I'm done with the Socom experiment,time to sell.

dave, I PMed Jonas about the backplate-Socom fit thingie. The Socom has a protruding main pivot bolt/shaft head sticking too far out for the LG1 backplate to fit flush against the tab. Spacing the LG1 backplate puts the chainline out of whack even on a 150mm spaced rear (which i have). So I mentioned that I had to mill/dremel out a circular shape piece out of the backplate to clear the pivot pin and install the backplate flush against the iscg tabs. With that little fix, I achieved the ideal chainline (using Hone cranks) with no spacers.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
weight weenies?

get rid of those saint cranks, then we'll talk

still. nice build.

DEVOTiON

Chimp
Jan 11, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks guys.

Might be going towards 35lbs with Ti spring and XT cranks.

what did you use to shape that seat? file and sand paper? ive got an old sdg sattelite that i might have a go with.
A saw for the unnecessary material, then a grinder to shape it up, and cut the padding with a sharp knife and smoothen it with a file.

ge mig den !!! sådan ska jag nog oxå ha. GRATTIS !
Den är min!

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
amazing build. You can still drop 1lb or more pounds off that. Ti sping, XT cranks. But yet 36lb for a DH bike. :shocked:

Does it ride like a DH bike? Cause i think 36lb would mess me up a bit. I ride a 38lb morewood. Is it a sloppier ride?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
nice bike man!!! love what you have done with the saddle.. bit disappointed with the saints tho.:p

^^ the socom has the same geo as the m3.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
dude, i think your scale is broken . o.k. my socom is 43 ibs. and i'm using some of the parts your using but not enough to make a 7 ibs. differnce. your running tubes oppose to tubeless more weight there and the fox shock oppose to the manitou titanium theres another pound. i don't see how you got your bike down to 36ibs. maybe the 7ibs. is because my socom is gloss black and your socom is red ? i don't think so.

Sep 12, 2004
that is one awsome race build there!

but, i really want to know what someone can get their DH bike down to without going carbon crazy. throw some XTs and a ti spring on there, maybe for weight savings an sdg i-beam saddle/post, maybe some lighter pedals (xpedo mags are the lightest ive found), and maybe lighter wheels...?

DEVOTiON

Chimp
Jan 11, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Last time I had my Socom down to 36 lbs, it made me ride much more stupid. I was like inside a pinball machine. I upped it up to 38lbs it was ok. At 39 lbs, I'm happy. Now I'm done with the Socom experiment,time to sell.
Strange. I find it perfect. Got some riding done today. Wouldn't hurt if it where lighter...

dude, i think your scale is broken . o.k. my socom is 43 ibs. and i'm using some of the parts your using but not enough to make a 7 ibs. differnce. your running tubes oppose to tubeless more weight there and the fox shock oppose to the manitou titanium theres another pound. i don't see how you got your bike down to 36ibs. maybe the 7ibs. is because my socom is gloss black and your socom is red ? i don't think so.
My scale was tuned by TheMontashu....

On a serious note: I run sub 200g tubes and sub 900g tires...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Strange. I find it perfect. Got some riding done today. Wouldn't hurt if it where lighter...
But then again he's talking about loose, rocky Socal and you were riding on groomed stuff that looks like a 4X bike would kill on.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool. I was kinda playing devil's advocate, that thing's one of my favorite frames right now.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
My scale was tuned by TheMontashu....
LOL!!!! if i didn't already have this sig....

ozzer, how do you mean the bike felt weird when it was 36lbs? wouldn't it just be a easier bike to throw around and maybe slightly twitchier? wouldn't just be a case of getting used to it?

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
what the heck am i missing ? i keep looking at your socom trying to figure out how you saved 7ibs. compared to my socom which is pretty similar. were you drinking when you weighted the bike ?