Quantcast

Firestone Trail Work Days

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Wow, things are looking great! That was a fun race when we went 2 years ago, and hopefully things will work out for next year. If I wasn't 7,000 miles away, I would be there!

You guys are doing a great job, and I don't want to criticize anyone, but I would like to make one suggestion: corners. The DH times are very, very close together. If the course has more corners, it will not only be more fun, it will help to seperate the men from the boys. It will make timing the event easier with larger gaps between the times, and it will challenge the riders more. Besides, how often is a fun trail a straight line? Usually, flowy and fun trails have lots of corners on them, it's what gives them that flow. Other than that, things look killer! Hope the event goes off without a hitch! Good luck!

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Thanks for the kind words bikenweed!

Yep I want t add more corners to the DH too ... I'm workimg on everyone else.

Hecky

PS. Maybe we'll see you next year!

:bomb:

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Are there any mandatory double jumps or larger drops on the DH course? I am trying to set up logistics for this race (it would be my first) but I want to go. I am a competent technical rider, but jumps scare me.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bjanga said:
Are there any mandatory double jumps or larger drops on the DH course? I am trying to set up logistics for this race (it would be my first) but I want to go. I am a competent technical rider, but jumps scare me.
The only big things are the 20' rockgarden gap and the (maybe) 7' at min. drop. There are slower ways around those. The jump into the berm was big for me last year, so i just rolled it, landed halfway and manualed.

There is nothing big that is mandatory. It's a really fun fast/flowy course.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So I checked out the XC and the DH course yesterday.
The XC course got some awesome improvements this year, some sweet new descents, really good stuff.
The DH course is pretty similar to last years layout, but a little additional length at the end of the course. The berms are beautiful and the jumps are looking good. I'm excited to get my "braap" on come race day.

This is looking like a national caliber event, maybe it'll be one next year ;)
Get up there monkeys and put the finishing touches to the course, Mike would really appreciate the help.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I will be out there the last two weekends before the event. I wish I could have done more but it's super hard for me to get sundays off.

Patrick, is the rokcgarden longer than last year? If not I think it's more like 15' at most, not 20'. The one drop is about 7' although if you stay tight right it's maybe only 5' or so IIRC.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
punkassean said:
good because another 5' or so would make gapping it much harder! :D
No doubt, can you imagine it 5' longer and say 30 mph cross winds like last year's practice...pure carnage

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was only 5' off, thats not far off...:rolleyes:

A few weeks ago, I jumped to the side of the rockgarden when it was windy. I went halfway w/o even going very fast, so I don't think it will be a big deal as long as there isn't a lot of wind.

I'm not going off the drop. I would be faster going off the drop 5' over and have less chance of crashing.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm doing both. I will be doing wheelies and jumping off everything in site while XCing. It might be kind of funny, because I will be wearing jeans, T-shirt, my skate helmet and riding my 35lb. hardtail.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
It would be funny, except my hardtail is probably a pound or two heavier than yours. I win ;)

Are you going to ride the XC course or check it out at all saturday morning? Looks like it could be done if you were fast enough to make the mandatory meeting and would miss practice.

EDIT: can I make it down a DH course without a chainguide? I am on a hardtail, so I am not going to be pinned the whole time (unless someone feeds me a fetus for breakfast). I ride some rough terrain but no real jumps and cannot remember the last time I dropped my chain.

And brider are you going to run the SRS during the XC?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
the course is 15 miles now, doing 5 laps equals 75 miles, the web site will be fixed. :help:

what does not kill you will only make you stronger for the events that really matter like nationals etc, etc.

sorry for the confusion.

MH

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am running my srs for it. I don't need to practice for XC. I rode the course a few weeks ago. You will be fine w/o a bash guard.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Gambo said:
We need your Help!!!! To finish the DH trail befor the race so I want all monkeys to get out next weekend sat/sun 8am at the top of the Dh. WE can doit!!!!!
WE CAN DOOOOOO IT! :hot:

Look, we need any and every monkey in the 805 to come out both days this weekend if possible to help us complete this DH course. We re-worked the bottom berm and the finsh line, and it needs more work to be ready for the big weekend. There are only 4 work days left. :help:

Meet at 8 AM at the top of the DH, bring tools, water, food, and your bike for post work pre-riding of the course.

Thanks in advance for making it out and helping me and my other diehards promote this sport locally, so that guys like you have a place to race around these parts. :clue:

Hecky

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
hecktone said:
the course is 15 miles now, doing 5 laps equals 75 miles, the web site will be fixed. :help:

what does not kill you will only make you stronger for the events that really matter like nationals etc, etc.

sorry for the confusion.

MH
Ok, one other unrelated question. I'm asking this for a friend, honest. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what is the lower weight limit for the clydesdale class in Sport XC? Do they weigh you butt-nekkid, or do you get scrutineered with your clothes and shoes on? I think I may have a plan that will allow all my beer drinking this winter to pay off.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ghostrider said:
Ok, one other unrelated question. I'm asking this for a friend, honest. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what is the lower weight limit for the clydesdale class in Sport XC? Do they weigh you butt-nekkid, or do you get scrutineered with your clothes and shoes on? I think I may have a plan that will allow all [/b]my[/b] beer drinking this winter to pay off.
Don't you mean "your friends" beer drinking? ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Wow, today was PRODUCTIVE. I got in just before noon and there was already a big crew there chugging along reshaping what used to be the last berm and is now the second to last berm. I jumped in and before long we had that thing looking so insane. The berm is chest-high and has a PERFECT decreasing radius. Then we went up the course to the table-tops just before the big berm and that's where we spent the rest of the day until about 6pm. the remaining five of us moved a metric $hitload or two of soil to make a super sweet chest-high table-top jump that has an optional faster line pre-jump that turns the table into a nice step-up. We really put a ton of work into these two features and come race day I think everyone will be STOKED! Patrick got some pics but it was with a film camera so developing will take a day or two.

I am planning to head out there again tomorrow from early afternoon 'til just before dark or until my blisters bleed too much. There is still a TON of work to do to make the rest of the course perfect so if anyone wants to join me tomorrow let me know, I have room for a few heads. Zark, what are you doing? C'mon SB riders, come out tomorrow and put in some work to make our local race the talk of the state. This course is getting sick, let's make it even better.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I have been wanting to get out and build but I dont get much time for riding besides the weekends. If I were to tag along, is there some chance for getting a few runs in to sway the riding side of me into going?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yeah, when we got there today it was pretty muddy but by the afternoon it was perfect. I think a little riding is totally legit tomorrow. That's the idea, come out and work and get to pre-ride a little. Plus building is as gratifying as riding just harder to get motivated for sometimes.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I totally know that building is rewarding, just that since I dont get to ride so much (specially with this weather) I try to not waste any chances. If I were to go, would you have room for another person, coming from goleta?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It won't be any waste at all. Just do some digging, then ride. It's such a fun course. If only there was a chair lift. Sean, get Mike on that.

Maybe I will have them up by tuesday or earlier.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
HaveFaith said:
I totally know that building is rewarding, just that since I dont get to ride so much (specially with this weather) I try to not waste any chances. If I were to go, would you have room for another person, coming from goleta?
I have room, typically we meet at the bottom of the 154 at Foothill Rd and leave a car(s) there and pile into one vehicle. The only thing about that is heading out there together means staying until the driver wants to come back. I will most likely want to head out around 12:30-1 and come back before dark.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Sean, where is the new table? I'm guessing it's between the 2 big final berms?

I'm stoked for this race. For being so vertically challenged it's definitely one of the more fun courses I've been on. Is everything else mostly the same?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The new table is in the mini rhythm section towards the bottom. You come out of the nice long berm, tuck between the two oak trees hit the first long, low table and then comes the new table. It's not big or anything but it's much bigger than what was there before and it's fun. Then you hit the step-down into the what used to be the last berm. We re-did both the step-down and the berm so now the step-down is a nice launch (like the one Jim built on sweetness over the berm) but you land right in the berm which is now waist high and perfectly shaped. We did a bunch more work today and then got a few "test runs" in. The whole course is looking great. Like you said although it's vertically challenged it's an awesome course. DH bikes are not needed but that doesn't mean the course is easy it's jut smooth and has great flow. Any bike can handle this course with the right rider.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sunday was a productive day.
Work roundup: Sean spearheaded hip/hucker take-off and landing zone.
Joe, Mike and I started a little berm realignment where is ends betweeen the oak trees. You'll now be able to cook the berm right to the bitter end ;)
After lunch we did a little more prep on the finishing stretch. Berm building, bench carving. This section still needs some work. Next week its the high priority section.

Ride report: Oooh sh!t!! The course fookin rawks! So fast and smooth and at moments a little frightening. I almost looped out jumping into the G-out (mental note: do NOT pull up on that lip!)

The hip/hucker: This spot still causes me to pucker up a little. Nothing like a huge drop away with a blind approach. The goal is to hit it pinned to land to the smoother transition. Its a huge psychout. Next week I'm bringing the body armor and going for broke, yesterday's approach was simply utilitarian: ride off of it and not hesitate.

The king of berms: Ohh my, you can hit this thing so fast its scary.

Rhythm section. The little guy table, just suck this one up. The step up/table fricken rocks. Great work on this one guys, truly impressive.

Supermoto jump to berm. Big style jump into a huge 180deg berm, so fun. This sure to be a photog's favorite. Steve was getting completely crossed up there yesterday, awesome.

So next weekend get out there and help us finish this course up. Its a blast!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
no you need to pull a one-handed superman with a 360 rotation

but other than that anyone going up saturday, we are suppose to get a little rain and it might be a perfect time to go work?!