Quantcast

Flag Burning

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
alta01 said:
What you need to do is get off your cry baby pulpit. Oh and take more prozac!!! Stop lying to yourself. There... there, now, everything will be alright. Mommy loves you.
I wonder who said this:
How is burning the flag an act of free “speech”. What’s next, desecration of the Lincoln, Washington or Jefferson Memorials in the name of free speech?? It is not “free speech”. It is simply “UN-AMERICAN” and any Senator who votes against burning the flag is an UN-AMERICAN SENATOR!!!
Oh that's right.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My friends were at a super party, lots of art bands playing. The singer from one of them was about to burn a flag when one of my buddies, who happened to be in a frat, jumped on stage and yanked it out of his hand. There was a huge fight over the whole thing, but he did save our flag from the fire...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Personally speaking I would rath er see people burn a flag in protest, than let the one on the bag of their car rot in apathy.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
The right to burn our flag is precisely what makes it great.

I want to explain further, but there should be no need.
I believe that this should be the end of this thread, but I will
continue the discussion if necessary for anyone who cannot
understand this simple truth.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Pop quiz to all the Southerners: If you wrap a black man who has had sex with a white woman in a flag and light the flag on fire, would you still consider that desecration of the flag?

Or is it better to go to Home Depot and buy some chain so you can drag the man to death behind your pickup while waving the unburnt flag out the window?

Man, this is complicated stuff...I better go see what it says in the Bible...

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.
Adlai E. Stevenson Jr., Speech in Detroit, 7 Oct. 1952

The First Amendment is often inconvenient. But that is besides the point. Inconvenience does not absolve the government of its obligation to tolerate speech.
Justice Anthony Kennedy

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Patriotism is a wierd thing. Im not one to really believe in symbolism much, but anyone who can look at the picture of the Marines atop Mt. Suribachi raising the US flag and still feel like burning one is just a peice of sh!t. Plain and simple. So while I dont feel like the burning of the flag should be illegal, I do have a very low opinion of people who do it, becuase they're thoughtless idiots who only crave attention.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Personally I'd perfer it if folks just burnt McDonalds stores instead..... Still an iconic american symbol, but at least unlike a flag, burning it down would also do the public good by reducing the flow of crappy unhealthy food to the populace. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
In regards to your "try doing it in another country", not many other (Read: none) developed nations harbor the same Nationalistic (You know, Nazi) sentiments our backwards little neck of the woods does...

Btw, the moron who proposed this before the Senate is a senile Mormon from Utah, our very own Orrin Hatch. Same guy who proposed blowing up people's computers (literally) for filesharing, among other boneheaded moves.

Vote Ashdown (Proprietor of Xmission.com, host of Maddox) and get this idiot out of the Senate.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
DaveW said:
Personally I'd perfer it if folks just burnt McDonalds stores instead..... Still an iconic american symbol, but at least unlike a flag, burning it down would also do the public good by reducing the flow of crappy unhealthy food to the populace. :D
:stupid: Good idea!

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I was gonna put in some opinion here but I think its a lost cause. So instead I would like to nominate this for best thread ever.

I would also like to nominate Alta01 for "Best First 10 posts Ever" award. Way to bust on the scene! These colors don't run!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
Patriotism is a wierd thing. Im not one to really believe in symbolism much, but anyone who can look at the picture of the Marines atop Mt. Suribachi raising the US flag and still feel like burning one is just a peice of sh!t. Plain and simple. So while I dont feel like the burning of the flag should be illegal, I do have a very low opinion of people who do it, becuase they're thoughtless idiots who only crave attention.
:stupid:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The whole flag burning thing was simply a cynical ploy to divert attention from other more pressing, actually important issues anyway. 4 pages later it seems that it worked...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
blue said:
In regards to your "try doing it in another country", not many other (Read: none) developed nations harbor the same Nationalistic (You know, Nazi) sentiments our backwards little neck of the woods does...

I don't know about that. I know in Australia there was recently a brouhaha about flag burning. I think the general consensus was it wasn't worth getting our knickers in a knot over and it remains legal. (assuming it's not burnt on a fire-ban day)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Blue, exactly what other countries have you been to that you would claim to even know that? Everyone's got their rednecks. EVERYONE.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
To the submitter of this thread:
"Turn off the Sean Hannity show and slowly back away from the radio......."
Personally I think the whole episode was a waste of time. One of the great burdens of freedom is having to endure the exercising of it by others.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
Blue, exactly what other countries have you been to that you would claim to even know that? Everyone's got their rednecks. EVERYONE.
Do you think he has been to any other states other than Utah, let alone any other countries?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Let me rephrase what I said:

Most other developed nations do not have such a high retard to non-retard ratio going on. Better?

Steve, go **** yourself, and contribute something worthwhile.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
blue said:

Most other developed nations do not have such a high retard to non-retard ratio going on. Better?

Ironic that the above statement would come from blue

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
blue said:

Actually I'd say the retard to non-retard rate would be roughly the same world wide... Other cultures are just less inclined to place their idiots on a pedestal.

For all his bombast and redneck hyperbole One line of Tom Clancys rings true to me.....
Different races are just different masks over the same flesh and blood beneath
:)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would not do it myself, but it does make a statement. I also think there are far greater issues in this country to worry about right now.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
You could burn a British flag in Britain and probably be ignored. (I've seen it done.)

I saw a clip of a reality TV show a couple of years back where they had groups of US, German, British and Japanese people in a hotel complex with various events to compare cultures. One of these events was an unannounced burning of the respective national flag. The only nation to get really upset (to the point of violence) was the US. The Japanese were quite vocal, as were the Germans. The British simply shrugged and walked away.

Having not burnt flags in any nation I know no more about it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
blue said:

So I was right?

Honestly little boy blue, I was just giving you a hard time.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
alta01 said:
1. We live in the US and should respect the flag. I understand the whole free speech thing but this country fought hard so even liberals like you can have free speech.
Including the free speech of burning the flag. Are you seriously going to say that people died for our freedoms so we shouldn't exercise them? That would make their deaths in vain.

Oh, and BTW, we also let you spew your naziesque, facistic garbage about taking away all our rights.
2. Try burning the flag of another nation in that nation and see how fast you go up in smoke .
And, you want to hold the US to their standard, or you want to hold the US to a higher standard?
3. If you don't like the US and hate it's symbols and people enough to piss on our symbols, then simply leave the country.
Being upset enough to torch a flag does not necessarily mean that the person doing it hates this country. They may be trying to demonstrate to wake people up and improve the country. There are many things that I dislike that our country is currently doing, but I do not hate my country. I would like to see it improve itself and become an even greater country.
4. I know that you grew up in a time when school systems teach and think it's cool to do disrespectful things to our sysmbols, but trust me honey you'll learn to love that flag.
Don't presume to know when and where I grew up or how I feel about the flag. Just because I stand up for the rights of others does not necessarily mean that I endorse that view. Case in point is that I think you have the right to spew your nonsense.
5. Anyone who burns the flag is just trying to get attention and is going about it in the worst asshole, childish way. Kinda like the asshole who drives in the left hand lane on a 55 MPH highway doing 45 MPH. Stupid is what stupid does.
This is just plain indefensible. You probably don't know anyone who has burned a flag, so how could you make blanket statements?

Of course, flag burning (as Chang pointed out) is just a diversion from all the other problems. Gay marriage is another one. Every time there's an election, these "problems" come up. It's sad that there are people like alta here who eat this sh*t up.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just for the record, being proud of ones nation and wanting to do well (read Nationalistic) doesnt necesarrily equate to fascism. I know you all LOVE the nazi comparisons, but quit being idiots.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DaveW said:
I hate posting two throw away joke lines in a row in one thread but.....

I will when you will Burly......

Im pretty sure it's "Backalackadacka St." fella.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DaveW said:
*meh* I was pissed when I saw the movie..... and I hear with a different accent to you. ;) :rofl:
There was no accent from the characters in that movie. :) They spoke good ole' Merican!

Except the part where Juan Valdez says
NO ME GUSTA!!!!!!! :rofl: