Quantcast

Flag Burning

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
Just for the record, being proud of ones nation and wanting to do well (read Nationalistic) doesnt necesarrily equate to fascism. I know you all LOVE the nazi comparisons, but quit being idiots.
Nor did I say it did. I'm proud of my nation and I want the nation to do well. There may be certain things that I disapprove of, but overall I'm proud of what this country stands for.

Wanting to take away free speech to promote forced Nationalism is fascism.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Old Man G Funk said:
Nor did I say it did. I'm proud of my nation and I want the nation to do well. There may be certain things that I disapprove of, but overall I'm proud of what this country stands for.

Wanting to take away free speech to promote forced Nationalism is fascism.
I was speaking about blue mostly

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
to **** all over you.
in peru, being shat all over by a bird is believed to be of good luck... really.

yeah seriously.
Hey,

my inspiration right there.

alta01

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
1. Why do you guys resort to calling people Nazi's when you're losing your argumnet.

2. No one would have to pass a law if people like you would have a little respect for others feelings. What you're trying to say is that you'd rather piss people off them give them the respect for what they believe in.

3. I don't care if your gay and this isn't about being gay, it's about respecting others wishes and feelings. When you try to deliberately go out and piss someone else off by burning the flag you are still being deliberate and disrespectful of others thoughts and feelings on this subject or any other.

4. If you don't like something then why use the flag, which just happens to be an american symbol, why use it? I'll tell ya why!!! It's because it gets a "rise out of people". I feel you have a right to spew your thoughts out to the public in general, JUST AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS OR THIER FEELINGS ON "ANY" SUBJECT. It is totally UNAMERICAN to burn ones own Flag. Why don't they burn something else instead. Maybe thier own car. But no, no one will do that because it's "arson" and you will go to jail for arson. Isn't burning your "own" flag arson???

5 I'm done with this subject. You'll never understand. Just as long as you make your point that's all that counts to you. It's obvious you could give a crap about no one but yourself and your opinions!!!

Old Man G Funk said:
Including the free speech of burning the flag. Are you seriously going to say that people died for our freedoms so we shouldn't exercise them? That would make their deaths in vain.

Oh, and BTW, we also let you spew your naziesque, facistic garbage about taking away all our rights.

And, you want to hold the US to their standard, or you want to hold the US to a higher standard?

Being upset enough to torch a flag does not necessarily mean that the person doing it hates this country. They may be trying to demonstrate to wake people up and improve the country. There are many things that I dislike that our country is currently doing, but I do not hate my country. I would like to see it improve itself and become an even greater country.

Don't presume to know when and where I grew up or how I feel about the flag. Just because I stand up for the rights of others does not necessarily mean that I endorse that view. Case in point is that I think you have the right to spew your nonsense.

This is just plain indefensible. You probably don't know anyone who has burned a flag, so how could you make blanket statements?

Of course, flag burning (as Chang pointed out) is just a diversion from all the other problems. Gay marriage is another one. Every time there's an election, these "problems" come up. It's sad that there are people like alta here who eat this sh*t up.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
alta01 said:
I feel you have a right to spew your thoughts out to the public in general, JUST AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS OR THIER FEELINGS ON "ANY" SUBJECT.
You are in the wrong place for this my friend. Although with this atttitude, Iraq in the 90's may have been perfect for you.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
alta01 said:
How is burning the flag an act of free “speech”. What’s next, desecration of the Lincoln, Washington or Jefferson Memorials in the name of free speech?? It is not “free speech”. It is simply “UN-AMERICAN” and any Senator who votes against burning the flag is an UN-AMERICAN SENATOR!!!
You're an idiot.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
alta01 said:

2. .........No one would have to pass a law if people like you would have a little respect for others feelings..............
3........ it's about respecting others wishes and feelings. ........ you are still being deliberate and disrespectful of others thoughts and feelings on this subject or any other.

4.......... I feel you have a right to spew your thoughts out to the public in general, JUST AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS OR THIER FEELINGS ON "ANY" SUBJECT.............

5 ..........
so let me get this straight, I have a right to express myself how I see fit so long as no one's feelings are hurt? Thought police anyone?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
How 'bout we start hounding the uber-patriotic people who have flags and leave them in the weather for 7 years until they're shredded?

Let's also nail the people who leave their flags out at night and don't put a light on them?

Alta01, do the patriotic type people who have flag bikinis and have them all jammed in their @ss and cooch make you want to cry?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
alta01 said:
1. Why do you guys resort to calling people Nazi's when you're losing your argumnet.
I'm not calling you a nazi. I'm calling your argument to force me to be patriotic a fascist argument. It is not aimed at you personally. And, also, who is "you guys?"
2. No one would have to pass a law if people like you would have a little respect for others feelings. What you're trying to say is that you'd rather piss people off them give them the respect for what they believe in.
Isn't this what Conservatives rail against? That liberals are always trying to pass laws that make people "feel" better? That liberals are always the ones that are worried about hurting people's feelings? If burning a flag somehow means that I don't have respect for you, then you need to get over yourself.
3. I don't care if your gay and this isn't about being gay, it's about respecting others wishes and feelings. When you try to deliberately go out and piss someone else off by burning the flag you are still being deliberate and disrespectful of others thoughts and feelings on this subject or any other.
No, it's not about being gay, but it is about diverting people's attention from other issues. This is a wedge issue that is used to rile up people like you and get people like you to go out and vote Republican.
4. If you don't like something then why use the flag, which just happens to be an american symbol, why use it? I'll tell ya why!!! It's because it gets a "rise out of people". I feel you have a right to spew your thoughts out to the public in general, JUST AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS OR THIER FEELINGS ON "ANY" SUBJECT. It is totally UNAMERICAN to burn ones own Flag. Why don't they burn something else instead. Maybe thier own car. But no, no one will do that because it's "arson" and you will go to jail for arson. Isn't burning your "own" flag arson???
People burn an American symbol because it is just that, an American symbol. How do you show displeasure with a country? You do something that people will sit up and take notice of.
feel you have a right to spew your thoughts out to the public in general, JUST AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS OR THIER FEELINGS ON "ANY" SUBJECT.
To focus specifically on this statement, what rights of your do I violate by burning a flag? Have I violated your property rights? How about your personal rights? Do you really feel that you have a right to not have your feelings hurt? If I purchase a flag and go burn it, it does not infringe on anyone's rights. Period. You have no standing in this issue.
5 I'm done with this subject. You'll never understand. Just as long as you make your point that's all that counts to you. It's obvious you could give a crap about no one but yourself and your opinions!!!
You were done the minute you started the thread. You have only shown the capacity to speak with emotion. You have used no logic to defend your position that flag burning should be illegal, and if you stop taking it personally, you might see that no one is attacking you personally by burning a flag. You might not agree with their actions, but I'm also sure that there are many things that you disagree with and many actions that you disagree with. Are we to outlaw anything that you personally disagree with? Are we to outlaw anything that you think might hurt your feelings? Of course not. Like I said, I think your rants have been misinformed. Some have even advocated violence. I, however, do not seek to disbar you from your speech as you seem willing to do to all who would burn a flag in protest, even for the most justified purpose.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I think you're all being a bit harsh. I thought altarboy101 made some good points. Especially when he said
altarboy101 said:
the priests said I was doing god's work. But why does God's work hurt so much?

alta01

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
And yes they should treat the flag with the respect and burn it after it is old.

And Wearing a bikini or shirt with the flag on it is great and patriotic.

Oh and I definately like patriotic womens swimsuits ESPECIALLY when they are jammed up a womens ass and cooch.

Do you own one MUDGRLL??? If so do you feel PATRIOTIC???

QUOTE=MudGrrl]How 'bout we start hounding the uber-patriotic people who have flags and leave them in the weather for 7 years until they're shredded?

Let's also nail the people who leave their flags out at night and don't put a light on them?

Alta01, do the patriotic type people who have flag bikinis and have them all jammed in their @ss and cooch make you want to cry?[/QUOTE]

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
alta01 said:
And yes they should treat the flag with the respect and burn it after it is old.

Oh and I definately like patriotic womens swimsuits ESPECIALLY when they are jammed up a womens ass and cooch.

Wait, I thought you were all done with this subject? You really have nothing to say...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
alta01 said:

So, burning an old flag is OK? I just can't burn a flag when it offends your sensibilities?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
alta01 said:

QUOTE=MudGrrl]How 'bout we start hounding the uber-patriotic people who have flags and leave them in the weather for 7 years until they're shredded?

Alta01, do the patriotic type people who have flag bikinis and have them all jammed in their @ss and cooch make you want to cry?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You can't buy this sort of comedy.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Alta, if the flag is a symbol of America, and you hate it being left out in the rain, then what about the actual America itself? Isn't it MUCH worse that the ACTUAL America gets left out in the rain? Maybe you should do something about that? Build a dome!

alta01

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
Hmmm... a dome. That's a good idea. Maybe I'll build one.

As for the rain...doesn't the rain wash away the filth???

I even love the rain when I'm racing...Makes things more dangerous

alta01

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
Twat waffle??? That's as funny as Cheif ball fondler. What's up with that nickname. Wait...I don't want to know...Maybe I'll post another question tomorrow. It won't be about ball fondling, sorry!!

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
alta01 said:
Next subject...
What am I twisting? You've got your panties in a knot over burning the flag, but you seem to be fine with it if the flag is old.

Have you got anything substantial to say? Have you got any refutations of what I've argued, or are you simply going to appeal to emotion this entire thread?

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
:thumb:
N8 said:
If the flag buners are beaten up by some crusty gunny sargent, is that ok? I mean, it's just freedom of expression on the gunny's part and all.
OK by me. I think flag burning is offensive, but doesn't need a constitutional amendment. What I'm wondering is if it would qualify as hate speech ???