Quantcast

Flat Pedals post Covid edition

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So you laughed at me I am never going to buy a bike but here I am waiting for one.

This creates a problem. I know shit about what pedals don't fall apart, have good grip and non shit pins.

What are the go to proven pedals that offer:
- Large but not huge platform
- No top loading pins
- Price - doesn't have to be cheap but maybe not "my daddy is an oil prince"
- Doesn't desitegrate 1 day after you took your pinkbike picture.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nukeproof Horizons have been on special at 100AUD lately, I still think that they are the best pedal I have had.

Prefer them to Boomslangs, T-Macs and probably my daddy is an oil prince Syntace Numbernine2 pedals, and they(Syntace) have top loading pins.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nukeproof Horizons have been on special at 100AUD lately, I still think that they are the best pedal I have had.

Prefer them to Boomslangs, T-Macs and probably my daddy is an oil prince Syntace Numbernine2 pedals, and they(Syntace) have top loading pins.
I was thinking about the Horizons. They look like a good option and CRC has a deal on them in the color I want.

Also is no one using flat pedals anymore? What happened to ones of you that crash?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I chewed the Horizons to pulp in only a few months. If your bike is low and your trails chunky, I'd look elsewhere.
The OneUps are way more durable, in my experience.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Tenet occults match your requirements. I really like mine.

However, I rode my DH bike for the first time this year a few days ago which have ANVL tilts installed, I like the way those feel a little more. The pins install from the top thou and are not as tough as the Tenets.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I chewed the Horizons to pulp in only a few months. If your bike is low and your trails chunky, I'd look elsewhere.
The OneUps are way more durable, in my experience.
What was the issue? Their size or they were not very durable? Since I generally tend to hit my pedals a lot and not care that much so this may be an issue

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
OneUp Alloy and composite are both pretty good.

Alloys can't be used with SRAM carbon cranks.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

I just installed the composite pedals after returning the alloys for this exact reason :bonk: Someone didn't read the fine print at the end of the web page.
I am happy with them in all aspects. I am also glad I went composite, my friend has destroyed 2 sets of the alloys on the east coast roxx.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
which bike? spill the beans!
That Ohlins equiped Limited Edition Capra Mullet. I know YT customer experience has not the best reputation but the spec is so good you basically get the frame free. The only other comparable deal is Radon but Radon has no bottle mount.

I was a bit Torn between the Radon and YT but I am between sizes on Radon and not on the Capra so that won me over despite radon having a carbon frame and shimano brakes.

Ordered it just today. Hopefully they don't tell me the availability was an error on their side... Funny thing is the drop was so damn small I ordered mine around 11AM. Size Large is no longer available...

The composites are good too? I remember some people complaining composite pedals offer less grip. I run composite pedals on my city road bike but never tried them anywhere there is mud

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The composites are good too? I remember some people complaining composite pedals offer less grip. I run composite pedals on my city road bike but never tried them anywhere there is mud
The pins on the composites give plenty of grip. They're two piece, a little nylock nut rests in the top of the pedal and the pin threads into it from the bottom. Alloy pedals are a single piece pin that threads from the bottom.

There's a slight axle bulge on the composite that isn't there on the alloy.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I vote for Tenet Omens, but they demand a 2nd mortgage or a private oil well.

I think the Horizons are just a bit thicker, and the screws are massive and tend not to break but get ripped out of the threads.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I vote for Tenet Omens, but they demand a 2nd mortgage or a private oil well.

I think the Horizons are just a bit thicker, and the screws are massive and tend not to break but get ripped out of the threads.
Yeah but delivery in the fall of 2022

thats a really good deal
Yeah. Not the most exciting bike but it's a good base for a future frame swap.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
ETA Fall 2022 so where in stock? Also you mean the US made ones? The color is no issue given the bike will be deep purple.
Hmm, they must have sold out a moment ago, sorry. I am pretty sure the Purple and Gunmetal ones were available earlier today. But, $185.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hmm, they must have sold out a moment ago, sorry. I am pretty sure the Purple and Gunmetal ones were available earlier today. But, $185.
Yeah for that price Burgecs and Hopes are also available. I was asking mostly because I don't know anything that doesn't cost like it was machined from Jesus's cross.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have the DMR Vaults.

I really like them, but I am very new at riding flat pedals on my mountain bike, so my opinion is pretty much worthless. :) I'd still be interested to know if they are considered a good pedal or not.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have the DMR Vaults.

I really like them, but I am very new at riding flat pedals on my mountain bike, so my opinion is pretty much worthless. :) I'd still be interested to know if they are considered a good pedal or not.
Before my long break from riding more than 1-2 weeks per year I've heard good things about them. Not sure if pedal technology has progressed as fast as the prices though

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I got Burgtec recently after reading Gary's comments on them. They are really grippy!
If I wasn't looking for something affordable I'd be going for them though it's weird almost no one here read that part where I'm not looking fort the most expensive flats on the market ;) Burgtec and Hope are my top choices if I decide to spend but I always felt spending big money on pedals was not my thing. I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
If I wasn't looking for something affordable I'd be going for them though it's weird almost no one here read that part where I'm not looking fort the most expensive flats on the market ;) Burgtec and Hope are my top choices if I decide to spend but I always felt spending big money on pedals was not my thing. I'd rather spend elsewhere.
Sure! Burgtec are not cheap but still not in the category "my daddy is an oil prince"

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sure! Burgtec are not cheap but still not in the category "my daddy is an oil prince"
It's hard to talk pedal prices because the price points this year are weird AF. It's either 50E 150E or 250E. Nothing in between. I'm probably looking for a price point that doesn't exist. Damn where are the times where most of the market were affordable and grippy flats.

Also happy birthday

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I only ride oil prince.

Also, post up a pic when that “bike” arrives ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I only ride oil prince.

Also, post up a pic when that “bike” arrives ;)
In truth though, I also ride jenson foundation pedals (which are wellgo somethings no doubt), and they were just fine and very inexpensive.