Quantcast

Flat Pedals post Covid edition

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have the DMR Vaults.

I really like them, but I am very new at riding flat pedals on my mountain bike, so my opinion is pretty much worthless. :) I'd still be interested to know if they are considered a good pedal or not.
I was thinking about the Horizons. They look like a good option and CRC has a deal on them in the color I want.

Also is no one using flat pedals anymore? What happened to ones of you that crash?
I've been riding Vaults for years now but next pedals are going to be the Horizons. My Vaults have lasted several years and many rebuillds but eventually things flog out too much. Something seems to have changed with the Vaults though - nearly everybody I know that bought them recently has had the bushings work its way out of the pedal body and bind on the axle taper. In doing so it pushes the already badly retained seal out of the way and makes the pedal squeak and bind.

It happened to four Vaults, all in different pairs on our last riding trip to Tassie. As some of the pedals were brand new, the owners contacted DMR to ask whats up but were told they were unaware of an issue. My old sets have been fine for the bushing retention but the seals pop out pretty easily and I'm torn between rebuilding them all one last time or just getting some Horizons.

The Horizons I've tried all feel great underfoot and seem nicely built. Hard to comment on durability though but could be worth the experiment.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unpopular opinion: lately my favorite flat pedal is the Nukeproof Electron or similar/identical HT-made pedals. Surprisingly durable, light, cheap and with 5-10s good grip.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
FWIW, someone pointed out that the Deity TMacs have essentially the same dimensions / concavity as the Tenets that a lot of us like. You might be able to source those a little easier in Europe.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
20220707_192141.jpg

20220707_192547.jpg

20220707_192802.jpg

20220707_192848.jpg

20220707_193144.jpg

20220707_193051.jpg

20220707_193615.jpg

Ordered last week from Evo. Delivered in Canuckistan today.
I learn-ed here that the One-Ups my wife bought me should not be used with my XO cranks so...new pedal time. Decided to forgo anything with a similar large inboard bearing which negated anything I have (One-Ups, Gamut Podium, Spank Spike) that is in working condition.

Initial backyard impressions are good, but the proof is in the riding.

Tomorrow...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like my Tenets. That said, another pin bit the dust today. Luckily it's an easy fix.

Btw. it's interesting to see the difference between the Taiwan-made Occults and the WA-made Omens. I am guessing it's part CNC time savings, part moar robustness.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Crankbros Stamp 7 size large have been my go to on a couple of my bikes for the last couple of years. Much bigger platform than previous oneup, makes my size 13 plates of meat happier on long dh sections.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Deity Deftrap. I have ridden composite pedals for the last 10 years (Deity, EThirteen and OneUp) and those are my favorite ever. The E13 are not far behind though and have been reliable, cheap, light and durable (pick 4!).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Too late for Covid + Clips jokes?

"Clips give you more social distancing"

"Did your clips get tested? just asking cuz they don't seem to be doing okay"

"How's your buddy doing with clips? I heard he caught a root clot in his foot"

"I'm glad I got clips, I feel so protected now"

"I can't believe people don't get the clips"

:D

Yes those are meant to be jokes. If you're offended, well. Maybe you should get the clips. Saint clips ;)

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
What about composite flatpedals? Afaik these things take a beating, are cheap and have the same grip as their alloy counterparts.
Oneup, Burgtec, Nukeproof have them.
Other then that: Nukeproof horizon flat pedals.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Good tip about the discount on Horizon pedals at Chainreactioncycles. I needed some replacements of my old Superstar Nano Evo's. The transprovence pushed them over the edge.
The Nukeproof Horizons look like they are built with easy to source bushings and bearings, so servicing should be easy.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Good tip about the discount on Horizon pedals at Chainreactioncycles. I needed some replacements of my old Superstar Nano Evo's. The transprovence pushed them over the edge.
The Nukeproof Horizons look like they are built with easy to source bushings and bearings, so servicing should be easy.
Yeah I'm leaning one ups of horizons really. Will visit the local LBS today to see if they have something I might have missed.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Burgtec Mk5
- No top loading pins
Why?

Burgtec MK5 are a lot nicer shape and feel than Horizons and slightly more durable. Although having said that I genuinely prefer Burgtec composites to my MK4s for all round riding where I like to be able to alter my foot position easily rather locked in maximum stability on rough DH lapz.
They're easily the best feeling composite pedals I've ever ridden and durable AF to boot. Plus they're eastern european hobo priced.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Burgtec Mk5

Why?

Burgtec MK5 are a lot nicer shape and feel than Horizons and slightly more durable. Although having said that I genuinely prefer Burgtec composites to my MK4s for all round riding where I like to be able to alter my foot position easily rather locked in maximum stability on rough DH lapz.
They're easily the best feeling composite pedals I've ever ridden and durable AF to boot. Plus they're eastern european hobo priced.
Any comparison to the Nukeproof Electrons/HT plastic flats?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I don't really like electrons at all.
Mainly due to their raised centre bulge and poorer overall platform shape.

I like my flat pedal platform's outer edge to be fairly straight either side of the axle rather than rounded/shaped to improve the feel of foot roll off/over the edge.
I think it's an old skool hangover of mine from BMX/OG DH but that's way more important to me than actual ultimate shoe/pedal grip. Apart from once or twice a year I don't wear sticky soled shoes to ride in at all. and honestly believe that if you only ever wear sticky soled shoes to ride in a large part of your opinion on flat pedals is pretty irrelevant as 5:10s and the like offer pretty much no feel on any pedal

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Burgtec Mk5

Why?

Hey, central eastern european hobo.

re your 5.10 comments. I get them but I really like a stiff shoe because i hate my feet. Though spending more on pedals is growing on me

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
oneups or scarabs are both solid,. but my faves are raceface atlases
I've heard good things. What advantages altases offer? Since I think I will give up on trying to buy pedals for 2010 prices and just buy something in this pricepoint

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Chromag Scarab

- Good feel and traction
- Non top-loading pins
- Easily rebuildable, readily available parts
Did you try their milion pin dh pedal or is the Scarab grippy enough?

Also anyone have experience with newer gen spank pedals? I have 1st gen spikes on my dj bik and I like their grip

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Do you have the 2022 ones?
i had a pair when they first came out, maybe 4-5 years ago, then tried oneups; i ordered a new pair of atlases last year when i saw them on sale for a decent price somewhere, for when the oneups die, but have not put them on yet. not sure if they're '21 or '22 model.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i had a pair when they first came out, maybe 4-5 years ago, then tried oneups; i ordered a new pair of atlases last year when i saw them on sale for a decent price somewhere, for when the oneups die, but have not put them on yet. not sure if they're '21 or '22 model.
Tempted to go with the Atlases for now. The DH Chromag looks good but it's price is stupid. Weirdly no one mentioned that specialized pedal

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I thought everyone here had a massive issue with Specialized in general.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
oneups or scarabs are both solid,. but my faves are raceface atlases
Big Scarab fan here, the PNW Loam pedals are also worth checking out.
I've the Scarab's on the Production Privee, the Loam's we have at work and they seem really well built.

I have the new 2022 RF Atlas pedals on the Single Speed but haven't had a chance to ride those yet but in the shop/carpark test with the pins at full height they seem mega grippy.
Bottom loading pins that you can lower with supplied washers, large platform.

I've had to fix/replace too many oneups at work to be a big fan of them.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
are you not worried about the spontaneous disassembly race face is famous for?
I'm really not up to day with all the E! Entertainment of the bike industry so I miss both Race face and Spec being famous for shit. What happens to them?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The moment I trust anycrank bros product bigger than a tool set is the moment hell freezes over
When even non-sponsored or Shimano-sponsored Worldcup racers use their pedals, I think you will be fine.