Quantcast

Fontana 2009

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Super stoaked for tomorrow, although it was a very stressful evening tonight! Just got my Sunday all built up, and fixed my friend's bike. FedEx came very late, it was like 9pm and gave me the last couple parts to finish up the Sunday. As it sits now, its 39.5lbs, the first time I have had a DH bike under 40lbs, and this one still has a steel spring!

And the Marzocchi Z1 Light on my backup bike that my friend will be racing blew up, so it now has a Marzo Drop Off QR with some random ass wheel, but at least it rides. Turns out the Rebound Cartridge failed and leaked oil into the air spring, and the air spring went into the rebound cartridge, so its super hard to compress, but it springs back like a pogo stick and lifts the front wheel off the ground!!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looked good via pics and video, Im officially jealous. Its 38 degrees here today and COLD!
Anyone down to go to sea otter, Ill have room for 1-2 peeps and bikes/gear. Splittin cost and gettin lost :thumb:
Ill be back and already schedueled with school for that time off so Im in and Im registering next week for it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Super stoaked for tomorrow, although it was a very stressful evening tonight! Just got my Sunday all built up, and fixed my friend's bike. FedEx came very late, it was like 9pm and gave me the last couple parts to finish up the Sunday. As it sits now, its 39.5lbs, the first time I have had a DH bike under 40lbs, and this one still has a steel spring!

And the Marzocchi Z1 Light on my backup bike that my friend will be racing blew up, so it now has a Marzo Drop Off QR with some random ass wheel, but at least it rides. Turns out the Rebound Cartridge failed and leaked oil into the air spring, and the air spring went into the rebound cartridge, so its super hard to compress, but it springs back like a pogo stick and lifts the front wheel off the ground!!!!
Good luck, remember the wall is brutal if the winds coming at you (always is :D)
The zig zag coming into the fire road mid way PIN IT and youll slide a little when you land on the road but pedal there and keep your time up. The top is 50/50 as far as peeps racing but the fire road and wall is where its at.
You can literally win if you pedal hard at those 2 spots and ride reserved up top and the rock garden.

Good luck guys! :thumb: I expect pics tomorrow so I can be even more PO'd about the cold here!

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Good luck, remember the wall is brutal if the winds coming at you (always is :D)
The zig zag coming into the fire road mid way PIN IT and youll slide a little when you land on the road but pedal there and keep your time up. The top is 50/50 as far as peeps racing but the fire road and wall is where its at.
You can literally win if you pedal hard at those 2 spots and ride reserved up top and the rock garden.

Good luck guys! :thumb: I expect pics tomorrow so I can be even more PO'd about the cold here!

Haha, thanks man! This is my first windy Fontana race (2nd race here), track seems pretty fun, lots of turns but the wind is brutal! So far the Sunday is awesome, not only does it turn better than my V10, but it also pedals better too!d

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Very true from what I hear, although I think they did a great job marking the course, there are very few areas where you feel the wind. The start, one area up top, the fire road before the road crossing, and the wall. The rest of the course is on the calm sides of the "hills."

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My god the widn sucks ass out there. The wall is going to hurt me today.
Excuses excuses excuses, no more excuses there superman! Do what I do kill it in the rough up top and the gardens and coast hte wall/fireroad and if you can get it fast enough you'll podium almost every time. :thumb:
Im starting off in expert at sea otter this season and hope to do som of the nationals races, NM, UT, ID etc.... So I need my cardio now.

Just giving you cr@p D, have a good run and I expect 1-3rd from you!

rancho_race1

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
the race was fun except for the wind, it got worse today and made the wall absolutely horrible...but it was fun. on another note, anyone have pics of 798 E?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Fun day today, I liked that course a lot better than the annual race.

Race didn't go as well as planned, I crashed in the zig zags before the fire road and got my shifter caught in the tape which took a while to free. Still don't know if it was a gust of wind that caused it or not, but I am leaning toward no. I really didn't feel the wind affecting me at all on my race run. On the bright side, I was able to stay standing and sprinting the entire wall.

Also really pleased with my new bike, never had a chance to actually do any setup work on it, and the first time I threw a leg over it was Saturday morning after a very late night Friday building it up. But it pedals AMAZING, and corners leaps and bounds better than my V10. Really stoaked for the next race!

The Time:
2:43.xx which was good for 16th in Sport 19-26

Brent
154M

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
All I can say is that my lungs are still on fire!
Didn't have a super great run...completely messed up the bottom corners before the road crossing. Whatever...just about mid-pack in Pro is fine considering the brutal non-stop wind on the wall!