Quantcast

Forbidden Dreadnought...what y'all think?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Don't really need a new frame, but their black Friday deal is pretty awesome and I've always to try a high pivot bike.

The 1280-something wheel base worries me a little. Otherwise, it looks like you can order it with a 27.5 rear wheel in mind (since that's what I have) and Cascade Components have a cool upgrade link for later on.

Anyone have one?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Dreadnought + Cascade link = 47% progression for the mullet version.
That is gnarly bro! :rockout:

That's all I've got. Don't have one, never ridden one.

I think they are on sale because there is a new version coming out with the inverted 4 bar design like the current Druid.
No more single pivot.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No.
Built a, few. Have ridden one.
That's all I've got

Disclaimer : I don't live in Cali tho.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Someone ripping in one of the top classes at the US Open had a Forbidden single pivot something. Saw him need to pull over to deal with drivetrain/idler issues. He did not seemed stoked and I got the sense that he'd experience past issues with the bike based on his grumblings.

No personal experience riding one myself, but the whole ordeal and moaning left an impression on me.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The one I rode was alright, wasn't as different to normal bikes as I expected, but I only did one lap and wasn't taking risks due to the horrible brakes. Finish quality on the frame was nice too.

They're certainly not holding anyone back. The couple of local pinners here that have them do very well.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
+30mm chainstay growth is a lot, and the chainstays are already 446mm as it is on a large. I haven't ridden one, but based on my experience with the two mid-high pivot bikes I own I wouldn't buy one without a thorough demo first to make sure I could get along with it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yup. The current bike can be adjusted between 1268 or 1283. I'd have to try the longer setting again since it's been a while, but I remember not being able to climb around certain tight corners all that well. That's my only real concern.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
that guy doesn't even stick his elbows out

needs coaching like toodles
Tangent... I saved this pic from the new Ibis HD6 release from October.

I debated posting as not wanting to be considered mean spirited or judgemental.

Behold....perfection.

Copy of 20230822-124953.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hate to agree with Kidwoo, but it wasn't until I was able to actually corner when I learned of a high pivot's shortcomings. I think they make terrific downhill bikes (not bike park bermland trails) but when those stays lengthen on hard corners, or you have to pull up, they really start to get weird. I love weird shit, but I don't think I'm after a high pivot trail bike....I think regular bikes have gotten too good to go that route and get any benefit.

I will say I disagreed with @HAB's thoughts on braking. When I rode my morewood, I loved the way it braked- packing up under bumps, slackening out the head angle...it made things sketchy and fun (and fast).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I hate to agree with Kidwoo, but it wasn't until I was able to actually corner when I learned of a high pivot's shortcomings. I think they make terrific downhill bikes (not bike park bermland trails) but when those stays lengthen on hard corners, or you have to pull up, they really start to get weird. I love weird shit, but I don't think I'm after a high pivot trail bike....I think regular bikes have gotten too good to go that route and get any benefit.

I will say I disagreed with @HAB's thoughts on braking. When I rode my morewood, I loved the way it braked- packing up under bumps, slackening out the head angle...it made things sketchy and fun (and fast).

Just fyi, in addition to always being right, I hold my elbows out way farther than HAB too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just fyi, in addition to always being right, I hold my elbows out way farther than HAB too.
I think I ended up with elbows extra tucked on that bike in part because of the mid-corner rearward weight shifts I had to do as the suspension loaded up - they were easier to time right that way somehow. I don't go full condor like Lee but I don't normally look like that photo you grabbed either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think I ended up with elbows extra tucked on that bike in part because of the mid-corner rearward weight shifts I had to do as the suspension loaded up - they were easier to time right that way somehow. I don't go full condor like Lee but I don't normally look like that photo you grabbed either.
good plan

go with it

.........currently clicking your name on blistergearreview.com to look for pics on other bikes

;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Dreadnought + Cascade link = 47% progression for the mullet version.
That is gnarly bro! :rockout:

That's all I've got. Don't have one, never ridden one.
Most of the progression is at end stroke so it shouldn’t feel like 47%. It probably won’t ride as progressive as the total progression number suggests. It doesn’t have the bucket in the middle that might make it feel like it’s too progressive either.

3:1 starting is pretty decent for most shocks too. I’m more curious if a below 2:1 ratio at end stroke could cause a deep stroke rebound hang up.

IMG_4111.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
WTF ..I didn't get a Buttcoin!!!!

As far as the forbidden no trail time but I did get on one at buddies shop they offered a frame up for running it and NOPE!!!

It digs corners and lays over really well, BUT that rear tire chews at the chainstay extremely bad..I flexed that bike way too easily..
Told him if the redo rear triangle I'd grab one and ride it.. but as it sits not a chance, I'd break that rear end sooner than later...

It did feel good , and based on it and square edge it seems to push over stuff. Pedalling was decent and definitely rearward...a decent design but probably has a few items to iron out.

I'd try one of the build it beefier, but I like to ride different stuff and see what they are about .

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Setting aside the dynamics of a high pivot bike that I don’t particularly enjoy, which, is very much user preference; The idler on the high tension side of the chain will very nearly double the drag of the drivetrain. That makes a high pivot trail bike a non-starter for me.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If anyone listens to the Blister Podcast Bikes and Big ideas its not a bad listen.
The one with Jordi from fox was gold, Jordy basically told him that he doesn't know what he's talking about as far as suspension and bike setup in general. I give the guy credit for posting the podcast after Jordy politely tore him apart.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If anyone listens to the Blister Podcast Bikes and Big ideas its not a bad listen.
The one with Jordi from fox was gold, Jordy basically told him that he doesn't know what he's talking about as far as suspension and bike setup in general. I give the guy credit for posting the podcast after Jordy politely tore him apart.
the guy who rides with the weak elbows?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
To be clear, that's me.

That one was a few years ago, but I only really remember Jordi saying he doesn't like trail bikes as slack as the Nicolai that I was riding at the time. I don't think we even talked about my approach to suspension setup at all, I just asked questions about his.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To be clear, that's me.

That one was a few years ago, but I only really remember Jordi saying he doesn't like trail bikes as slack as the Nicolai that I was riding at the time. I don't think we even talked about my approach to suspension setup at all, I just asked questions about his.
in all fairness the only difference between you and kooks like chris porter is about 25° of seat angle

:D

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Most of the progression is at end stroke so it shouldn’t feel like 47%. It probably won’t ride as progressive as the total progression number suggests. It doesn’t have the bucket in the middle that might make it feel like it’s too progressive either.

3:1 starting is pretty decent for most shocks too. I’m more curious if a below 2:1 ratio at end stroke could cause a deep stroke rebound hang up.

View attachment 204341
One would hope that the shock is valved digressive in rebound or at the very least linear, but you never know these days is progressive rebound damping is the new fad.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
To be clear, that's me.

Him questioning your implied benefits of lowered DH forks and super long slack trail bikes. Thats all I meant.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
On the podcast guys trailbike, yes
I was making a joke. Anyone familiar with those things on a dh bike, which he obviously is, shouldn't have to question obvious things like making a trailbike work more like a dh specific bike.

My guess is he lives in scotts valley california, has some pretty justified ideas of what constitutes a 'trailbike' for there, based primarily on that kind of terrain

HAB lives in steepsville. His bike setup makes perfect sense for that stuff. Because a lot of it is comparable to what anyone in california would consider a 'dh trail'. And a lot of it is accessed by pedaling up roads, not rolling dork friendly cycling singletrack.

EDIT: I've just been informed that this is exactly what jordi says in the podcast :rofl:

Last edited: